NFL GDT: 2022 NFC Divisional Round: (2) San Francisco 49ers vs (5) Dallas Cowboys

SF vs DAL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He missed 4 in a row.
The last one in week 18 as well

He missed 3 XP all regular season, you chalk it up to a bad game. There's nothing else you can really do

If he misses a chip shot FG or another extra point, that's when you start to change things

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He missed 3 XP all regular season, you chalk it up to a bad game. There's nothing else you can really do

If he misses a chip shot FG or another extra point, that's when you start to change things
Not being able to rely on your K will change the play calling for Dallas. Are they going to dress another K?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think the X factor for the Cowboys in this is if they can shut down the Niners run game and McCaffrey and put the pressure on Purdy to beat them.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the X factor for the Cowboys in this is if they can shut down the Niners run game and McCaffrey and put the pressure on Purdy to beat them.
Considering what the 49ers do for their running attack and how the Cowboys haven't exactly been great at stopping the run, I think that's a huge if. The 49ers have too many weapons that are too versatile to think you can isolate them to playing a particular way and then stopping them. The Cowboys best bet to win this game is to win the turnover battle. Purdy will give them chances to take the ball away but they're going to score on the Cowboys defense. Wouldn't surprise me if this is a close 30+ point game for both teams.

Reactions: The Note

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
If the Cowboys shut down the SF running game they're going to win.

The problem with that is that stopping SF's run game is nearly impossible.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Considering what the 49ers do for their running attack and how the Cowboys haven't exactly been great at stopping the run, I think that's a huge if. The 49ers have too many weapons that are too versatile to think you can isolate them to playing a particular way and then stopping them. The Cowboys best bet to win this game is to win the turnover battle. Purdy will give them chances to take the ball away but they're going to score on the Cowboys defense. Wouldn't surprise me if this is a close 30+ point game for both teams.

If the Cowboys shut down the SF running game they're going to win.

The problem with that is that stopping SF's run game is nearly impossible.

Yeah I misspoke. If they can slow down SF’s run game and force Purdy to throw more, they can look to force those turnovers. That’s how they need to win.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

This seems like a pretty big reach because the Niners simply aren't the same team as even the most recent of those games which is the Miami game. Besides, none of those teams they played against are set up like the Cowboys are. They're all different animals with different matchups where the 49ers are different in pretty key positions. Dallas is going to have their chances to win the game because they're a very good team in their own right but these sorts of desperate attempts to find weaknesses and blow them up just to say that they're beatable is pretty lame.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
This seems like a pretty big reach because the Niners simply aren't the same team as even the most recent of those games which is the Miami game. Besides, none of those teams they played against are set up like the Cowboys are. They're all different animals with different matchups where the 49ers are different in pretty key positions. Dallas is going to have their chances to win the game because they're a very good team in their own right but these sorts of desperate attempts to find weaknesses and blow them up just to say that they're beatable is pretty lame.
Don’t think the tone of the message is what you’re getting at. Moreso saying the 49ers have benefited from a pretty easily schedule thus far, especially with Purdy as their QB and during their big win streak.

I’ve said many times I think they’re the class of the NFC and don’t have any notable weaknesses. I think these are the two best teams in the NFC going head-to-head.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Don’t think the tone of the message is what you’re getting at. Moreso saying the 49ers have benefited from a pretty easily schedule thus far, especially with Purdy as their QB and during their big win streak.

I’ve said many times I think they’re the class of the NFC and don’t have any notable weaknesses. I think these are the two best teams in the NFC going head-to-head.
I think strength of schedule as it relates to a head-to-head matchup in the playoffs doesn't really mean much of anything. My post was more in regards to the tweet than you merely posting it. That particular user believes the 49ers aren't battle tested which is an asinine claim to make.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I think strength of schedule as it relates to a head-to-head matchup in the playoffs doesn't really mean much of anything. My post was more in regards to the tweet than you merely posting it. That particular user believes the 49ers aren't battle tested which is an asinine claim to make.
Again, think you’re missing the point of the Tweet. 49ers had a very easily schedule and struggled against the tougher opponents in their schedule. All he’s saying is it probably isn’t as much of a slam dunk as a lot of people think.

You don’t think strength of schedule provides any context to their season?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Again, think you’re missing the point of the Tweet. 49ers had a very easily schedule and struggled against the tougher opponents in their schedule. All he’s saying is it probably isn’t as much of a slam dunk as a lot of people think.

I get the point. I’m saying the point is irrelevant because of who they had in the lineup and who they didn’t when those games were played. The Chiefs game had cmc just acquired like the day before and no Arik Armstead for instance with Jimmy as the QB. There were no struggles against Miami or New Orleans and Denver was very early in the year when they weren’t as healthy as they are now.

It provides very limited context that doesn’t really matter to the Cowboys Sunday.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I get the point. I’m saying the point is irrelevant because of who they had in the lineup and who they didn’t when those games were played. The Chiefs game had cmc just acquired like the day before and no Arik Armstead for instance with Jimmy as the QB. There were no struggles against Miami or New Orleans and Denver was very early in the year when they weren’t as healthy as they are now.

It provides very limited context that doesn’t really matter to the Cowboys Sunday.
Fair enough. Looking forward to seeing how the game compares to last years. Hoping for a lot less penalties on the Cowboys side this time around.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Just curious here, if the 49ers are knocked down a peg because of their schedule - fine if you believe that, I don't think the Bills are as good as people think based on how they've played - why is this 'the real NFC championship game?'

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Just curious here, if the 49ers are knocked down a peg because of their schedule - fine if you believe that, I don't think the Bills are as good as people think based on how they've played - why is this 'the real NFC championship game?'
Because the winner of this game will go to the Super Bowl

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Because the winner of this game will go to the Super Bowl
So if the Eagles win, why is that game not at least as difficult? Presumably this will be the best team the 49ers beat, and then have to go on the road where while they have won, not been quite as good (which is fine, all you need to do is win, and I got into a discussion the other day who someone would rather the Eagles play the 49ers for many of the reasons you've stated).

Meanwhile, Dallas is looking at a rough, physical game and still a brutal schedule. 3 games in a row is typically really difficult, this is going to be 4, I don't know if anyone's done 5 at any time since the merger. And that's not even taking into the account the Eagles had the bye and actual best record.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
At some point the 49ers bad QB play has to catch up with them but they have a massive coaching advantage here so idk if it's this weekend lol. I think it will be close but I trust Shannan to gameplan around Purdy's poor play and win, really hoping Dallas pulls it off though.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
So if the Eagles win, why is that game not at least as difficult? Presumably this will be the best team the 49ers beat, and then have to go on the road where while they have won, not been quite as good (which is fine, all you need to do is win, and I got into a discussion the other day who someone would rather the Eagles play the 49ers for many of the reasons you've stated).

Meanwhile, Dallas is looking at a rough, physical game and still a brutal schedule. 3 games in a row is typically really difficult, this is going to be 4, I don't know if anyone's done 5 at any time since the merger. And that's not even taking into the account the Eagles had the bye and actual best record.
Eagles come and go with Lane Johnson. I understand he’s playing, but I’d be surprised if he’s anything more than 50% effective with the type of injury he’s going to be playing through as a tackle. That, and they peaked early, and haven’t looked very good for about a month. And I don’t trust their coaching staff.

I do think they beat the Giants but the winner of this game goes to the Super Bowl.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Nobody has won the week after playing the 49ers this season. Probably just coincidence but the Niners are a bruising team. You're going to have to earn a win and it will impact your next game.
At some point the 49ers bad QB play has to catch up with them but they have a massive coaching advantage here so idk if it's this weekend lol. I think it will be close but I trust Shannan to gameplan around Purdy's poor play and win, really hoping Dallas pulls it off though.
What bad QB play are you talking about? Purdy has been excellent since coming into the lineup.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
SF just has too many weapons and the fact they have basically 2 and a half more days of rest over Dallas will prove to be a major advantage, they take it by 10 points.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Nobody has won the week after playing the 49ers this season. Probably just coincidence but the Niners are a bruising team. You're going to have to earn a win and it will impact your next game.

What bad QB play are you talking about? Purdy has been excellent since coming into the lineup.

he was pretty bad last week and kept missing throws or throwing behind guys eventually that will catch up to them

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
he was pretty bad last week and kept missing throws or throwing behind guys eventually that will catch up to them
He started slow but to say he was pretty bad given the numbers and end result is quite ridiculous. Every QB has spots where they're not hitting their throws especially when the field and ball is wet to start the game. He still ended up with 3 TD throws, no picks, and 332 yards. That is not being pretty bad. It's ignoring the good to focus on the slow start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad