OT - NO POLITICS 2022 II - Waiting for the groundhog......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
c19.jpg

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
"
Actor Sean Penn, who was filming a documentary in Ukraine when Russia invaded the country last week, has said he and several members of his film crew witnessed a harrowing scene as they walked “miles” to the country’s border with Poland.
Along the route, the “Dead Man Walking” star said he and his colleagues encountered long lines of cars idling on the roadway. The vehicles were filled with women and children who were trying to flee the country as Russia escalated its attacks on the capital Kyiv.
“Myself & two colleagues walked miles to the Polish border after abandoning our car on the side of the road,” Penn wrote on Twitter Monday evening.
“Almost all the cars in this photo carry women & children only, most without any sign of luggage, and a car their only possession of value,” he continued.
The post included a photo of Penn walking along a highway while pulling a taped-up suitcase and toting a backpack. A queue of vehicles stretched into the distance to his right.

The two-time Oscar winner did not say why he and his crew had to abandon their car.
Penn was in Ukraine last Thursday working on a documentary about heightened tensions between Kyiv and Moscow when Russian troops launched an artillery bombardment and began crossing the border into
the former Soviet state.
Later that day, he was seen attending a briefing at the Presidential Office in Kyiv and had a meeting with President Volodymyr Zelensky and other Ukrainian officials, according to Instagram postings
n a statement to The Post last week, Penn called on America and nations around the world to stand with Ukraine.
“Already a brutal mistake of lives taken and hearts broken, and if he doesn’t relent, I believe Mr. Putin will have made a most horrible mistake for all of humankind,” Penn said at the time.

President Zelensky and the Ukrainian people have risen as historic symbols of courage and principle. Ukraine is the tip of the spear for the democratic embrace of dreams. If we allow it to fight alone, our soul as America is lost.”
Penn has a habit of traveling to violent and disaster-hit parts of the world. He was spotted in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and Haiti after an earthquake struck the island in 2010.
sean-penn-ukraine-4.jpg

sean-penn-ukraine-3.jpg

Reactions: Alicat

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Moment Russian soldier ‘surrenders and breaks down in tears as Ukrainians feed him and help call his mum’

Russian soldier 'in tears as Ukrainian locals feed him & help call his mum'

I was listening to a military expert yesterday talk about the situation of the Russian army at present. He was talking about how it's evident how little information the average soldier has about what they're doing in Ukraine and what the true situation is. Most seem to have initially been told they were on exercises or a 'peace-keeping' mission and it's only gradually been made apparent to them that they're in an actual war. So morale is not good - some are coping fine and ready to fight, especially the special forces, but many just don't want to be there and certainly aren't prepared to die for the cause of subjugating Ukraine.

The army as a whole will press on and they still have the advantage of sheer overwhelming force, but it's interesting how the Russian government has felt the need to lie to or at least hold back the truth from its own military personnel to feel like they have a hope of getting this operation done. Even in a country where the media and education are as controlled and propagandized as they are in Russia, it's still not as easy to fully deceive or brainwash people into fighting and killing on your behalf as it used to be, which even in the midst of this terrible situation is a good thing.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I heard some people from Canada and the USA are going to join Ukraine.

I will have to check this out.

I am so distressed about all of this. The people of Ukraine have my respect, but I fear for all of them.

I can't help but watch the terrible news.

Putin is SO evil and needs to go.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Anderson Cooper is someone I respect. The stories about the little kids really get to him

He can't help but get chocked up when he is reporting from Ukraine.

This Putin war is terrible and needs to stop.

Such senseless and terrible hate and destruction of a peaceful people. :(

I can't sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Pretty pumped about this as Michigan was ranked #1. It is likely they will flip rankings when the new rankings come out.

Illinois double booked their arena so Norman was chosen as a host for the Regional meet that decides who gets a bid to the championship round.

I'll be shooting to get to a meet next year

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
A horrible story.

@Kate08 - I may be totally wrong but I think she worked at Sully's a few years ago.

so horrible

women didn’t work at Sullys until the ownership changed a few years ago. A lot of the guys I was friends with stopped working there around that time and I rarely went so I don’t know if she was ever there.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
"
Actor Sean Penn, who was filming a documentary in Ukraine when Russia invaded the country last week, has said he and several members of his film crew witnessed a harrowing scene as they walked “miles” to the country’s border with Poland.
Along the route, the “Dead Man Walking” star said he and his colleagues encountered long lines of cars idling on the roadway. The vehicles were filled with women and children who were trying to flee the country as Russia escalated its attacks on the capital Kyiv.
“Myself & two colleagues walked miles to the Polish border after abandoning our car on the side of the road,” Penn wrote on Twitter Monday evening.
“Almost all the cars in this photo carry women & children only, most without any sign of luggage, and a car their only possession of value,” he continued.
The post included a photo of Penn walking along a highway while pulling a taped-up suitcase and toting a backpack. A queue of vehicles stretched into the distance to his right.

The two-time Oscar winner did not say why he and his crew had to abandon their car.
Penn was in Ukraine last Thursday working on a documentary about heightened tensions between Kyiv and Moscow when Russian troops launched an artillery bombardment and began crossing the border into
the former Soviet state.
Later that day, he was seen attending a briefing at the Presidential Office in Kyiv and had a meeting with President Volodymyr Zelensky and other Ukrainian officials, according to Instagram postings
n a statement to The Post last week, Penn called on America and nations around the world to stand with Ukraine.
“Already a brutal mistake of lives taken and hearts broken, and if he doesn’t relent, I believe Mr. Putin will have made a most horrible mistake for all of humankind,” Penn said at the time.

President Zelensky and the Ukrainian people have risen as historic symbols of courage and principle. Ukraine is the tip of the spear for the democratic embrace of dreams. If we allow it to fight alone, our soul as America is lost.”
Penn has a habit of traveling to violent and disaster-hit parts of the world. He was spotted in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and Haiti after an earthquake struck the island in 2010.
sean-penn-ukraine-4.jpg

sean-penn-ukraine-3.jpg
I really admire Sean Penn, hasn`t always been the case, felt he was a top shelf A Hole but the tireless work he has done with his foundation CORE for years now and many other causes he has not just put his name behind but actually backed it up with action is beyond amazing, he`s one of those well known names whose actions match his words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad