Prospect Info: 2022 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #5

Who is the Devils' #5 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Okhotyuk of course. was my number three year ago. It was hard to pick him or Holtz poll before. Okhotyuk has better floor, but ceiling of Holtz is obviously higher and I think now he is much closer to nhl than he was year before. And he has lesser competition.
Anyway I will root for Okhotyuk more than for any other rookie this year. His skils and tools give him a great opportunity to be great puck battler and defensive defenseman who can easily protect our future blue liners from their mistakes. Good Skating, speed, great gap control and body work is what we need, if we wanna be a hard team to play against.
Didn't think someone liked Okhotiuk more than me. I still have Mukhamadullin here due to his ceiling as an all situation 22 to 24 minute defensmen.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Didn't think someone liked Okhotiuk more than me. I still have Mukhamadullin here due to his ceiling as an all situation 22 to 24 minute defensmen.
I don’t think you woted for him as top-5 prospect year ago. Or even top 3. I did. So. sorry, but you are not the first one on the train. I’m the engine man here.
Again, I rank floor for role high. And his floor for his role is very high because of skating, speed, puck battling and physical game. He could be easily top pair defenseman to play with playmaking RD. Or second pair defenseman, who play in the end of the game, top pk minutes and OT minutes, because his skating can help to protect and invite if the opportunity is on the table. I truly believe he is nhl player. Guys like Zet, Daws, Shaq and Walsh(of course) still have some worries in their game, that can limit their time or even hurt their nhl career. Of course his ceiling is lower than Shaq’s. But bad sides of the game of our prospects still exist. Reason why I have Nemec over Luke.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
BD000679-3F5C-4751-AE61-6EE827D4A9B4.png

Mercer was my top-1 prospect from 2020 draft right after the draft. (I know it is flexing, but I like this specific example. sorry me for that please)

7B8AF8E5-1048-42B2-BAF5-C2BE3C2B8ABD.png

Okhotyuk was my top 3 prospect year ago. Gritsyuk was my top 5 prospect year ago. I know my “Guadana’s things”.

Hope he will win roster spot in the beginning of the season. Guy is exactly what we need. Hope he will find groove and confidence. Sometimes it’s a question of luck and circumstances. Especially for defensive first players.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
View attachment 573668

Mercer was my top-1 prospect from 2020 draft right after the draft. (I know it is flexing, but I like this specific example. sorry me for that please)

View attachment 573670

Okhotyuk was my top 3 prospect year ago. Gritsyuk was my top 5 prospect year ago. I know my “Guadana’s things”.

Hope he will win roster spot in the beginning of the season. Guy is exactly what we need. Hope he will find groove and confidence. Sometimes it’s a question of luck and circumstances. Especially for defensive first players.

My 2021 voting:

Well I voted for the obvious, boring shit at the top (Hughes, Holtz, Holtz)

Then I voted for Chase Stillman quite a bit until he won #8. Go figure.

Then I missed a vote.

Voted for Samu Salminen (not sure why, though I do like him).

Samu didn’t win but I voted for Vukojevic so he would beat out Pytlik at #11. (Yes, this is a thing I do, if it’s a tie I will make the call. Don’t judge.)

Then Gritsyuk #12
Then Daws #13 (variety is the spice of life I guess.)
Then back to Gritsyuk for #14 and #15
Then I switched back to Daws to get him a win over Moynihan in #16.
Grits wins! in #17. (Eat it Moynihan.)

The vote for #18 is Sept 5.
Misyul has played his two first KHL games since the last vote. He played almost 20 minutes in both and had 1 assist in each games as well.
The Sheeple on HFDevils, hopped up on those two games, all vote for Misyul and he wins by a landslide. I, of course, am one of those sheeple. (He’s a good skater!)

#19 I vote for Moynihan.

#20 I vote for Schmid.

What does this say? I’m a goofy voter.

Some people have to be the hoi polloi, the Jane/John Does, the teeming masses etc. We can’t all be fancy pants amateur scouts.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
My 2021 voting:

Well I voted for the obvious, boring shit at the top (Hughes, Holtz, Holtz)

Then I voted for Chase Stillman quite a bit until he won #8. Go figure.

Then I missed a vote.

Voted for Samu Salminen (not sure why, though I do like him).

Samu didn’t win but I voted for Vukojevic so he would beat out Pytlik at #11. (Yes, this is a thing I do, if it’s a tie I will make the call. Don’t judge.)

Then Gritsyuk #12
Then Daws #13 (variety is the spice of life I guess.)
Then back to Gritsyuk for #14 and #15
Then I switched back to Daws to get him a win over Moynihan in #16.
Grits wins! in #17. (Eat it Moynihan.)

The vote for #18 is Sept 5.
Misyul has played his two first KHL games since the last vote. He played almost 20 minutes in both and had 1 assist in each games as well.
The Sheeple on HFDevils, hopped up on those two games, all vote for Misyul and he wins by a landslide. I, of course, am one of those sheeple. (He’s a good skater!)

#19 I vote for Moynihan.

#20 I vote for Schmid.

What does this say? I’m a goofy voter.

Some people have to be the hoi polloi, the Jane/John Does, the teeming masses etc. We can’t all be fancy pants amateur scouts.
I had Clarke very high. 4th or 6th or something like that. I don’t know why. I didn’t really liked him, he isn’t my type Of a player. His producing confused me. I was low on Zet, but I liked him few years ago, he isn’t clearly my type, but liked him. And didn’t after.
Everybody have opportunity to make mistakes.

its hard when you are watching closely some players and didn’t some others.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I don’t think you woted for him as top-5 prospect year ago. Or even top 3. I did. So. sorry, but you are not the first one on the train. I’m the engine man here.
Again, I rank floor for role high. And his floor for his role is very high because of skating, speed, puck battling and physical game. He could be easily top pair defenseman to play with playmaking RD. Or second pair defenseman, who play in the end of the game, top pk minutes and OT minutes, because his skating can help to protect and invite if the opportunity is on the table. I truly believe he is nhl player. Guys like Zet, Daws, Shaq and Walsh(of course) still have some worries in their game, that can limit their time or even hurt their nhl career. Of course his ceiling is lower than Shaq’s. But bad sides of the game of our prospects still exist. Reason why I have Nemec over Luke.
I don't usually vote on any of these because they don't really serve a purpose. I had him second among LHD a year ago behind Mukhamadullin and was raving about him every game I watched in Binghamton.

Nemec has a higher floor than Hughes but his ceiling is nowhere near as high. I always lean towards the ceiling, especially when we have the depth that we have. Hughes theoretically could end up the best defensmen in the game if everything works out. His size/speed/dynamic combo is unmatched.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don't usually vote on any of these because they don't really serve a purpose. I had him second among LHD a year ago behind Mukhamadullin and was raving about him every game I watched in Binghamton.

Nemec has a higher floor than Hughes but his ceiling is nowhere near as high. I always lean towards the ceiling, especially when we have the depth that we have. Hughes theoretically could end up the best defensmen in the game if everything works out. His size/speed/dynamic combo is unmatched.
Ceiling is a great thing that warms our hearts, but Mercer is an NHL player, and Holtz will only try to fight for the spot. Hughes i a very talented guy, but I have some worries about his defensive and positional game. When he will fix it, I will change my mind, but for now it is what it is. Nemec is looking more nhl ready and his game is more balanced overall. I have some worries about his one on one game, how he pushing opponents, his stick work is great, but his body work and gap control need to fix. Would be great to have them all in their best projecting form, but I can accept it when some of them is on the way. But Hughes is somewhere in the "adult" beginning of his defensive game. They are defensemen, so. Number two. Okhotiuk is more NHL ready and far better in every defensive aspect than Shaq, so he is number five. Ceiling is a great thing, but if something will limit the potential play, I can't close my eyes on that. Shaq is very good all around defenseman, but still making mistakes. Expirience should fix it, but when he gain it, than we will talk.
Let's clear it. When we try to rank some players, we should try to understand how we will do it, when some of them are scoring wi her and another one is defensive defenseman.
I think we should understand what kind of role specific player will play on nhl level. And what kind of props and cons he has for that role. And what his floor and ceiling us now, where he is in his curve if development. Okhotiuk is potentialdefensive defenseman. His floor is huge and I have no questions about it. His ceiling could be top 2 defensive defenseman. Its a very meaningful role. And his path to nhl is very clear.
Path of Shaq isn't.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Okhotyuk brings a physical element that we definitely lack on this team along with really good skills as well..,..Add Misyul.....In future at rhd Barabosha who I think we stole in 7th round this year....

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Ceiling is a great thing that warms our hearts, but Mercer is an NHL player, and Holtz will only try to fight for the spot. Hughes i a very talented guy, but I have some worries about his defensive and positional game. When he will fix it, I will change my mind, but for now it is what it is. Nemec is looking more nhl ready and his game is more balanced overall. I have some worries about his one on one game, how he pushing opponents, his stick work is great, but his body work and gap control need to fix. Would be great to have them all in their best projecting form, but I can accept it when some of them is on the way. But Hughes is somewhere in the "adult" beginning of his defensive game. They are defensemen, so. Number two. Okhotiuk is more NHL ready and far better in every defensive aspect than Shaq, so he is number five. Ceiling is a great thing, but if something will limit the potential play, I can't close my eyes on that. Shaq is very good all around defenseman, but still making mistakes. Expirience should fix it, but when he gain it, than we will talk.
Let's clear it. When we try to rank some players, we should try to understand how we will do it, when some of them are scoring wi her and another one is defensive defenseman.
I think we should understand what kind of role specific player will play on nhl level. And what kind of props and cons he has for that role. And what his floor and ceiling us now, where he is in his curve if development. Okhotiuk is potentialdefensive defenseman. His floor is huge and I have no questions about it. His ceiling could be top 2 defensive defenseman. Its a very meaningful role. And his path to nhl is very clear.
Path of Shaq isn't.
You do know that this is a very odd way to evaluate and rank prospects. Potential has to be taken into consideration. Okhotiuk has very little to no upside offensively. He will likely be a black hole offensively at the NHL level which means his defense needs to be elite to have a positive impact.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You do know that this is a very odd way to evaluate and rank prospects. Potential has to be taken into consideration. Okhotiuk has very little to no upside offensively. He will likely be a black hole offensively at the NHL level which means his defense needs to be elite to have a positive impact.
Actually I don't know. He has god starting speed. May be coaches will invite him time after time in the slots areas.
And his lack of offensive upside isn't a big deal, if he will be top defensive player. Siegenthaler isn't productive, but he was signed for five years. Smith was traded. Im happy that Nemec, Shaq and Luke are much better skaters.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
There wasn't a whole lot different between Holtz and Mercer during the pre-draft rankings. Holtz was a tier above in the 6-10 range but Mercer was right there with Jarvis and Quinn from 10-13.

I'm not sure why he dropped so much. He wasn't discussed much on these boards because nobody even expected him to be there at 18. It was a big fight over Schneider, Lapierre, and Perrault with Holloway a controversial choice as well.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Well @StevenToddIves willed Mercer at #18 in his in a couple of his last 2020 Mock Drafts. He also has taking Noel Gunler at #20 & Rossi at #7 in them.

Schneider is gone by the time we pick at #18 in both and Perrault is also gone by then in the last one.

We pass on Holloway (#21 Columbus) and Lapierre (#22 Rangers).

We take Rossi even though Raymond is still available in these and goes #8 to Buffalo.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad