Prospect Info: 2022 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #5

Who is the Devils' #5 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Tough decision between Daws and Okhotiuk. I ended up going Daws. Although he didn't have a stellar showing last year, the fact that he was getting NHL time in his D+2(!!) as a goalie and not getting completely shelled was a step in the right direction for him in terms of his development. He's by no means perfect, but he's no doubt the best goalie prospect we have and certainly has starter potential, especially with the way he played in the AHL last year. I think he finished a little rocky because he was somewhat thrown into the fire in the NHL and wasn't ready for it, something that rattled his confidence a little bit, but I think we are in for a big year out of him this year.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
To be honest I find myself forgetting everything I know about Daws except the frustration of last season. No idea where I'd want him on this list.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
To be honest I find myself forgetting everything I know about Daws except the frustration of last season. No idea where I'd want him on this list.
Goalies are notoriously fickle. Last season Schmid got off to the better start in Utica leading to him being the first call up. Of course he struggled and Daws was somewhat better. Neither finished the season that great. We will see if a full offseason of a return to normal training will bolster them for a full season and some improvement

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Mukh is getting overrated IMO. There is still a decent chance he doesn't become an NHLer. Zetterland likely has a high chance.

I also don't think Mukh's ceiling is all that much higher.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
All this debate and NO-ONE commented on my pic of Russian grits.

Oh, and everyone remember to tell me who to add for the next poll.

I’m surprised you didn’t simply quit the board altogether when you had point out what you used for the Patrick Moynihan photo last year after no one commented on it. (God knows there’s enough aged people kicking around here to catch that reference.)

You just have to accept that you’re grossly under appreciated.

(In my defense on failing to compliment this photo my brain/eyes didn’t function well enough to register what it was. Sad but true.)

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
For me it was between Walsh and Zetterlund. Muk isn't putting up the points for me for the top 5. Not that he's not a quality prospect.

Shocked I was the only one who voted for Walsh thus far. Muk, Z, Walsh, Thompson are interchangeable in my mind from here on out

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
For me it was between Walsh and Zetterlund. Muk isn't putting up the points for me for the top 5. Not that he's not a quality prospect.

Shocked I was the only one who voted for Walsh thus far. Muk, Z, Walsh, Thompson are interchangeable in my mind from here on out
I hate to put a ton of stock in the counting stats, but they are generally in his favor.
Last year, he was 2nd in points per game among U21 defenders in the KHL
The year before, he was first in U20 defenders
The year before that, he only had 1 assist. But the fact that he played 27 KHL games at all in his draft year is impressive. He was the only U18 D to play in the league that year, and only 2 U19s played more games than him.

I don't think enough credit is given to how much better of a league the KHL is compared to the AHL, and how difficult it is for young players to make an impact there. All of that indicates an upside of a 2nd pairing defender with good size. He's not nearly as "safe" of a prospect as Hughes or Nemec, but I think his upside is the highest of any defender outside of those two by a wide margin.

Now if you value a sure thing bottom six winger like Zetterlund over a 50/50 #3/4 defender, I won't gripe too much, but putting Walsh in the same conversation is more of a stretch to me.

Last edited:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

At least from this board’s consensus, Walsh’s development stagnated after his rookie AHL season. It was a weird covid year, it was his rookie pro year, Binghamton got terrible goaltending, but the takeaway from that season was that he’s a pretty one dimensional offensive defenseman whose offense isn’t good enough to warrant his issues on D. And that’s not to say that isn’t accurate. But he was pretty much written off as a quality prospect after that.

Now his past season was a huge improvement, and I’m a big fan of his, and even i have to admit his absolute ceiling is a #4 defenseman who has to be sheltered. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for him but it’s hard to imagine him cracking the NHL lineup at any point this season.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

No surprises. Fitz ranked Walsh too and drafted 4 right defensemen. Its a very clear mark.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

The Russian Word Assassin just dropping bodies here.

Walsh is in the deep bottom of my list) I would trade him even for left defenseman. I believe he coukd find some way to play in nhl, just not in the Devils uniform please. I was done with Smith after his first season, and now if Fitz will find the way to trade Sevs, I would not be surprised we will use Walsh a third pair D for some time. And it scares me.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Okhotiuk is my dude, he had a really strong showing in the games that he got at the end of the year. I value his style of play more than Muk or anyone else within the up and coming makeup of our defense in the near future other than Luke and Nemec, we’re covered on offense for a while.

He’s the exact type of player we need to round things out after Graves moves on. Strong, mobile, can make a decent first pass, skates well, takes care of the back end but he’s just downright nasty along the wall and in front. I really, really miss that aspect of our defense.

I like Bahl too but he’s a bit too soft for his size, good tools as well but I think Nikita could really round out our back end with some of the stuff that we’re lacking. I had him higher on this list than we are now, he’s NHL ready, have no clue how Walsh is even in any conversation with this team.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I picked Daws because he threw up big numbers as an AHL rookie and had a couple of good NHL games behind our mess of a team. I think Muk , Casey , Zetterlund , Thompson are all interchangeable here around this spot. I think Casey has the highest ceiling out the 5 I mentioned.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Wound up going with Okhotiuk. Just been impressed with him in most viewings and think he'll make a strong push for the team this year. Skates pretty well, good enough size, physical, defends well, all the makings of a strong defensive defenseman.

Love me some big Z though and really happy with the steps he took this year.

Add Misyul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad