Speculation: 2022 Free Agency/Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
No shot Ottawa will move a top 10 pick to get out of Zaitsev, even with Comtois and Stolarz. Those 2 are worth mid round picks at this point. The OTT 1st could be Bedard. It will be a 2nd+. Guessing the only holdup is us needing to move out Klingberg and/or Shattenkirk first.

Conditional 1st in 2023 (top 12 protected or something like that) that rolls over to an unprotected 1st in 2024?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
No shot Ottawa will move a top 10 pick to get out of Zaitsev, even with Comtois and Stolarz. Those 2 are worth mid round picks at this point. The OTT 1st could be Bedard. It will be a 2nd+. Guessing the only holdup is us needing to move out Klingberg and/or Shattenkirk first.
Meh with protection on the pick, i could see it

Zaitsev + 1st(top 10 protected)
for
Comtois + stolarz + our last 2nd

Reactions: Boo Boo

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I was thinking this too. I'd toss them a 2nd for sure if it meant getting another 1st. Moving up that many spots would be nice.
We have 3 2nds right now... i imagine we get at least 1 more from klingberg..... i have no objections trading 1 for a 1st + cap dump.

Hell our fan base might love Zaitsev... our defense is so bad zaitsev might look great.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
While on the topic of weaponizing cap space, there are some other potential moves I hope Verbeek is looking into:

Dallas (Khudobin)
New Jersey (Johnsson)
Boston (Reilly)
Tampa (Phillipe Myers)

These are all buried contracts on teams that will want cap space for the deadline, and pretty low hanging fruit for us to take advantage of.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Worth mentioning that Zaitsev has a 10 team no trade list. He may be at a point where he wants to play anywhere but Ottawa, though.
I rather play in Ottawa than in Anaheim right now. For sure.... No question. Especially on defense lol

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Well I believe he had requested a trade, so that was my reasoning. If his options are only Ottawa or Anaheim, he may choose us.
I didn't know much about his situation because he's not good enough for me to care. But thanks for informing me about his request.

EDIT: I just searched and only see previous trade requests from Toronto..... ? Is there a link or source I can read?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I live near Ottawa and it was -40° here last weekend

Damn. I complained last week when it fell to like 10 degrees in NY.

Makes me wonder, with Anaheim’s nicer climate , will attract FA’s, but need to fix the team where it’s not this horrible most games.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I didn't know much about his situation because he's not good enough for me to care. But thanks for informing me about his request.

EDIT: I just searched and only see previous trade requests from Toronto..... ? Is there a link or source I can read?
Hmm maybe that’s what I was remembering. But he did already get waived and sent to the AHL so I can’t imagine he’s happy.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I don't recall seeing anything about him requesting a trade but there was something recently (I forget where) that said Ottawa doesn't want him around anymore because of the ownership situation and payroll/cap situation for next season (and his declining play). He was waived in early November due to poor play but also could have been in part a hope that maybe some other team would claim him and get him off the books, so maybe back then there was some talk of a trade request.

They need to make decisions on DeBrincat's contract and goaltending for next season and I haven't gotten the impression they are planning to spend to the cap, so getting his 4.5 mil cap hit off the payroll and freeing up a roster spot for a younger play may be a priority worth spending an asset for. They could also buy out his last year so I doubt they would give up a ton unless getting something back that could be marketed to their fans as a positive.

Last night on HNIC Friedman has this to say about it:

"There appears to be a path for a Nikita Zaitsev trade," Friedman said. "I'm assuming West Coast, I don't know that for certain, but I've heard some rumblings about it. But there does seem to be a path for Zaitsev to move."

The wording of that statement implies it would be a cap dump move, and that they are actively pursuing it.

Reactions: Static

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I'd be well open to adding Zaitsev and another assets for $4.5 next year. He can actually play in the top 4 and we really need to improve our D if we have any hope for next season. I hope PV can get it done and add another high draft pick in the process. Another thing i wondered about is if Ottawa would be interested in Henrique. He could be part of a bigger package where we add a 1st and take back Zaitsev.

Henrique+Stollie

Zaitsev+1st+prospect/pick

Would be odd for Ottawa to trade their 1st given the draft, but time will tell.

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad