• trade down

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Francis will surprise us with another option

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

I love the idea of using one of our later second round picks to draft a goalie. Nurture our own goalie prospect and be less dependent on the whims of the market and what mediocrities are available at any given time out of desperation. I think developing a homegrown netminder is a big part of building from within.,

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I love the idea of using one of our later second round picks to draft a goalie. Nurture our own goalie prospect and be less dependent on the whims of the market and what mediocrities are available at any given time out of desperation. I think developing a homegrown netminder is a big part of building from within.,
Might not be a bad idea since their only goalie prospect is Russian and may likely be sent to Siberia if he ever decided to come over.....

Are there any goalies projecting to go in the 2nd round this year? Brennan maybe?

There may be a chance no goalies will have been selected before they are on the clock for their 3rd round selection, so may not have to use even a 2nd.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Might not be a bad idea since their only goalie prospect is Russian and may likely be sent to Siberia if he ever decided to come over.....

Are there any goalies projecting to go in the 2nd round this year? Brennan maybe?

There may be a chance no goalies will have been selected before they are on the clock for their 3rd round selection, so may not have to use even a 2nd.
Road of Bones needs pavement ffs! I know it’s not actually funny, but it is true.

It’s not a strong goalie year.

Reactions: Silkytentacles

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Scouching mock draft.

Podcast by SDPN with Allan Walsh and his client David Jiricek, who could be the pick for the Kraken.
Also some fun stories by Walsh about former draft experiences he had with clients.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Somebody please humour me. If we don't take a RH D at #4 and Cooley is available, should he be our guy? He seems a little boom or bust to me and that makes me nervous. Would dropping down and acquiring another asset be a better option?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Somebody please humour me. If we don't take a RH D at #4 and Cooley is available, should he be our guy? He seems a little boom or bust to me and that makes me nervous. Would dropping down and acquiring another asset be a better option?
I don't think He is really much of a boom/bust player, The main negatives is that he's a bit small and he gets a little too cute and wastes so much energy with unneeded movement.

To me he reminds me of a Zach Parise with better playmaking instincts. A hound for the puck and gives so much heart every time he's on the Ice that he can Make something out of nothing.

The key question is whether he sticks as a Center or becomes a Winger long term. If you still wanted to trade the pick I think outside a trade for a player the best option would be 4OA for 10+22 from the Ducks.

Pick Geekie/Nazar/Yurov/Kasper at 10 and either swing for the fences with Miroschenko( lost a season to cancer but has beaten it. Was ranked up in the top 5 before that) Or Chesley who probably is the best at defense among draftee's and has a cannon of a shot. Potential offensive upside is there as he covered for his more offensive gifted partner this season.

Hope that helps!

*edit* apparently Miroschenko is already in North America so no need to worry about current Russia problems.

Reactions: kihei

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
More like a boom or boom :) The odds are significantly better that he becomes a star than anyone available outside the top 4. With any luck at all I think his floor might be Clayton Keller who the Coyotes have been unsuccessfully trying to kill for the last 6 seasons. I expect he will be NHL ready this year but will not be so impactful as to screw the Kraken out of the Bedard/Michkov sweepstakes.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

If Cooley falls you take him.

Overall, all those players have some boom or bust potential this year, even Wright and Slafkovsky.

Trading down could be an option, but I wouldn't trade too far down from #4.

I don't think He is really much of a boom/bust player, The main negatives is that he's a bit small and he gets a little too cute and wastes so much energy with unneeded movement.

To me he reminds me of a Zach Parise with better playmaking instincts. A hound for the puck and gives so much heart every time he's on the Ice that he can Make something out of nothing.

The key question is whether he sticks as a Center or becomes a Winger long term. If you still wanted to trade the pick I think outside a trade for a player the best option would be 4OA for 10+22 from the Ducks.

Pick Geekie/Nazar/Yurov/Kasper at 10 and either swing for the fences with Miroschenko( lost a season to cancer but has beaten it. Was ranked up in the top 5 before that) Or Chesley who probably is the best at defense among draftee's and has a cannon of a shot. Potential offensive upside is there as he covered for his more offensive gifted partner this season.

Hope that helps!

*edit* apparently Miroschenko is already in North America so no need to worry about current Russia problems.

I think Buffalo with #9 and #16 would be way more interesting as I wouldn't want to trade too far down and drop from #4 - #10.

BTW: According to that podcast with Allan Walsh all teams front offices and decision makers should be in Montreal by now, starting to interview a couple of those prospects again between Tuesday and Thursday.

Maybe we do get some information by the Kraken or even a 30 second video clip? :sarcasm:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If Cooley falls you take him.

Overall, all those players have some boom or bust potential this year, even Wright and Slafkovsky.

Trading down could be an option, but I wouldn't trade too far down from #4.

I think Buffalo with #9 and #16 would be way more interesting as I wouldn't want to trade too far down and drop from #4 - #10.
If Columbus is looking to get into the coveted top 5, and Francis is not going to take one of the RHD, I think there might be a deal there. 4 + 35 + another small add for 6 + 12?

I wouldn't trade Cooley or Nemec for whomever is available at 9 and 16 (something like Kemell+Mateychuk or Nazar+Pickering). I think I'd rather gamble on the higher single prospect.

At 6+12 you could walk with Kasper/Gauthier + possibly Nazar/Kemell/Lekkerimaki, or even a guy like Mintyukov... I could live with that ;)

Reactions: kihei

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
If Columbus is looking to get into the coveted top 5, and Francis is not going to take one of the RHD, I think there might be a deal there. 4 + 35 + another small add for 6 + 12?

I wouldn't trade Cooley or Nemec for whomever is available at 9 and 16 (something like Kemell+Mateychuk or Nazar+Pickering). I think I'd rather gamble on the higher single prospect.

At 6+12 you could walk with Kasper/Gauthier + possibly Nazar/Kemell/Lekkerimaki, or even a guy like Mintyukov... I could live with that ;)

I don't think that would be enough for Columbus to move up only two spots in a draft were people don't know if pick 4 or 10 will be the better prospect.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
The DeBrincat rumour is the only trade I would even look at, but only if a long term extension was already worked out and even then I'm not sure I'd do it.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The DeBrincat rumour is the only trade I would even look at, but only if a long term extension was already worked out and even then I'm not sure I'd do it.

There's no way I'm trading #4 for Debrincat.

That would be the complete opposite how competitive(Stanley Cup winning) teams are being built during the salary cap era.

Reactions: kihei and Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I don't think that would be enough for Columbus to move up only two spots in a draft were people don't know if pick 4 or 10 will be the better prospect.
Columbus fans were talking about moving 6 and 12 for 2 to grab Nemec or Jiricek, so if their guy is still there at 4 and Francis is looking at a guy like Gauthier or kemell, it might make sense.

At this point, we don't really even have to look at the trade as just picks, (even though they are just picks), you can assign likely prospects to those picks to get a better picture of actual value.

Is Nemec + 35 worth Gauthier + a guy like Korchinski or Mateychuk? There is a very perceived tier drop off in this draft, and it should cost a fair amount to move up to grab one of the RHD. I think that value may be pretty fair, tbh, but it only works for Seattle if Francis is passing on the top 5 prospects to select someone else.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Columbus fans were talking about moving 6 and 12 for 2 to grab Nemec or Jiricek, so if their guy is still there at 4 and Francis is looking at a guy like Gauthier or kemell, it might make sense.

At this point, we don't really even have to look at the trade as just picks, (even though they are just picks), you can assign likely prospects to those picks to get a better picture of actual value.

Is Nemec + 35 worth Gauthier + a guy like Korchinski or Mateychuk? There is a very perceived tier drop off in this draft, and it should cost a fair amount to move up to grab one of the RHD. I think that value may be pretty fair, tbh, but it only works for Seattle if Francis is passing on the top 5 prospects to select someone else.

There's a good chance one of Nemec or Jiricek's still there at #6 and everyone you hear talking about this draft tells there isn't too much difference between picks 4 - 9 or so.
Just the fact that two RHD could be had might make them top five picks.

If Francis(and his staff) aren't fully convinced of either of those guys or feel like one of them might still be available at #6, I'd certainly do it and grab two interesting prospects.

Though, given the reports about how often Kron supposedly has scouted Nemec, I think he'll be our guy, unless he goes top three.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
There's a good chance one of Nemec or Jiricek's still there at #6 and everyone you hear talking about this draft tells there isn't too much difference between picks 4 - 9 or so.
Just the fact that two RHD could be had might make them top five picks.

If Francis(and his staff) aren't fully convinced of either of those guys or feel like one of them might still be available at #6, I'd certainly do it and grab two interesting prospects.

Though, given the reports about how often Kron supposedly has scouted Nemec, I think he'll be our guy, unless he goes top three.

Yeah, no chance Nemec is available at 6. So if Columbus wants him and Francis doesn't, and he is still on the board at 4, the deal probably works out well for both teams.

To me, if Nemec is there, you grab him. Trading down is a terrible option in my opinion, but it is a better option than using 4th O.A. to take a guy like Kemell or Gauthier.

That would be a travesty.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara

Rather have Nemec

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No goalie is rated in round 1. Most mocks that have gone into round 2, I can’t even recall who the first goalie to come off the board was.

Be it a late second or third always good to draft a goalie 3/4 years if you are kicking them from round 3 onwards. Some will play 3/4 years in college, others remain in Europe and others will play another year or 2 in the chl before going pro.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Rather have Nemec
I think we all would.

But if Francis is not taking a RHD at 4 and is instead looking at Gauthier or Kemell at 4. I would much rather trade 4+35 for 6+12. He gets who he was planning on drafting anyway at 6, and upgrades 35 to 12.

Not ideal, but at least he'd be leveraging the draft position and not leaving value on the table.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
There's no way I'm trading #4 for Debrincat.

That would be the complete opposite how competitive(Stanley Cup winning) teams are being built during the salary cap era.
Was not suggesting #4 for DeBrincat. It would be #4 for DeBrincat plus something or someone else. Or a multi on both sides.

But I disagree that it is the opposite of how competitive teams are built. DeBrincat is only 24. Signing him up long term is giving you a proven goal scorer with many good years to come. It's not like trading for 30+ year olds.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Was not suggesting #4 for DeBrincat. It would be #4 for DeBrincat plus something or someone else. Or a multi on both sides.

But I disagree that it is the opposite of how competitive teams are built. DeBrincat is only 24. Signing him up long term is giving you a proven goal scorer with many good years to come. It's not like trading for 30+ year olds.

1) I doubt Chicago would add to that, if those reports about the offer they turned down is correct.

2) It would absolutely be the opposite of how winning teams during the salary cap era have been built.
Those teams had multiple top five/ten picks and built with those players to become Stanley Cup champs.

Just look at Tampa, Pittsburgh, Chicago, L.A. or Colorado built their teams.

None of them took the quick fix route and traded high picks(besides Drouin for Sergachev, which was later on, after Drouin was in the league for a couple of years) in order to get right now guys.

And as nice as DeBrincat only being 24 is, that #4 pick will have about seven years of control, while DeBrincat only has three more and is already at a pretty big cap hit that will increase one year from today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad