Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Francis will surprise us with another option

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
1) I doubt Chicago would add to that, if those reports about the offer they turned down is correct.

2) It would absolutely be the opposite of how winning teams during the salary cap era have been built.
Those teams had multiple top five/ten picks and built with those players to become Stanley Cup champs.

Just look at Tampa, Pittsburgh, Chicago, L.A. or Colorado built their teams.

None of them took the quick fix route and traded high picks(besides Drouin for Sergachev, which was later on, after Drouin was in the league for a couple of years) in order to get right now guys.

And as nice as DeBrincat only being 24 is, that #4 pick will have about seven years of control, while DeBrincat only has three more and is already at a pretty big cap hit that will increase one year from today.
Yes, you definitely draft well,that's a no brainer, but all of those teams also brought in key free agents and made some big name trades. It's a balance. You JUST use the draft and it'll take a very long time.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yes, you definitely draft well,that's a no brainer, but all of those teams also brought in key free agents and made some big name trades. It's a balance. You JUST use the draft and it'll take a very long time.

Sure, key free agents or trades.

But they all had multiple high draft picks they made and developed to become contenders.

They didn't trade those picks for some quick fix that is already six years removed from his draft and close to being an UFA.
And that's what trading #4 for DeBrincat would be and why I'm against that.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Sure, key free agents or trades.

But they all had multiple high draft picks they made and developed to become contenders.

They didn't trade those picks for some quick fix that is already six years removed from his draft and close to being an UFA.
And that's what trading #4 for DeBrincat would be and why I'm against that.
Any trade for DeBrincat would have to include signing him to a long term deal much like the L.A. Fiala deal. That is what would make it different. A 24 year old proven goal scorer signed for the next 8 years, you really wouldn't want that???

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Any trade for DeBrincat would have to include signing him to a long term deal much like the L.A. Fiala deal. That is what would make it different. A 24 year old proven goal scorer signed for the next 8 years, you really wouldn't want that???

Again, doing something like this is the complete opposite of what successfull teams during the salary cap era have done.
It's trying to "speed up things" and that's not how this goes.

So no, I wouldn't do that.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Again, doing something like this is the complete opposite of what successfull teams during the salary cap era have done.
It's trying to "speed up things" and that's not how this goes.

So no, I wouldn't do that.
I tend to agree. Debrincat no doubt makes us better right away but in my mind you need to have enough talent on our team that spending 1st round picks (trade) or $$ (in FA) is to target positions to need to FILL OUT the roster.

Despite my heart wanting someone like Forsberg/Gaudreau in FA my brain is 100% opposed to it. We need to hit on the 2022 and 2023 drafts and then start looking at maybe being aggressive next FA or even wait till 2024. Till then, take on cheaper 'rebound' contracts or trades for players looking for a change in scenery. By then, our non 1st round picks are likely to start making the NHL roster as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad