• Francis will surprise us with another option

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The draft lottery is done and the Kraken slipped a spot into #4.

This will be an interesting one given that most people expect Wright, Cooley and Slafkovsky to be gone by the time we're going to make our selection and Ron Francis might have to decide on different options.

What do you think happens?
One of Cooley or Slafkovsky falls to us?
We'll take a defenseman?
Francis likes another guy?

Let's get going and speculate on this one as we have nearly two months before the actual selection will be made on July 7th in Montreal.

Videos of potential players for the Kraken at #4

Scouching videos:

Shane Wright

Logan Cooley

Danila Yurov

Joakim Kemell

Simon Nemec

Matthew Savoie

Juraj Slafkovxky

Emerald City Hockey videos:

Shane Wright

Logan Cooley

Juraj Slafkovsky

Matthew Savoie

Joakim Kemell, David Jiricek & Simon Nemec

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
As did I. I figure the top 3 order is Wright - Nemec - Slaf. No brainer at that point, but there are the outlier guys nobody can make up their minds about (Lambert, Kemmell, Savoie).

I'm not sure Arizona would take a winger over a center given their roster.

Though, either one of Cooley, Slafkovsky or Nemec is fine by me.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I posted this in the other thread, but I think that thread is dead, so discussion going forward should probably be in here:

I know quite a few of you have Speculated on this before, but do you think there is a chance Francis passes on Cooley due to size?

I could honestly see it being in the discussion, but I have absolutely zero read on what he would ultimately decide if Cooley slipped to 4th.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I posted this in the other thread, but I think that thread is dead, so discussion going forward should probably be in here:

I know quite a few of you have Speculated on this before, but do you think there is a chance Francis passes on Cooley due to size?

I could honestly see it being in the discussion, but I have absolutely zero read on what he would ultimately decide if Cooley slipped to 4th.

I definitely could if he makes it to 4. He’s definitely a size fan.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Cooley's listed at 5'11.
I doubt that would be a problem especially after Francis signed 5'10 Jaden Schwartz to a five year deal or brought in 5'9(maybe) Yanni Gourde.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
My guess is that

Wright goes to Montreal. Even if they have Cooley slightly ahead of Wright, I don't think they will want to roll two sub 6' centers as their core.

Slafkovsky goes to the Devils. While NJ needs RHD more than anything, drafting Hughes last year as their future PP QB and having Hamilton signed for over half a decade, I think they grab the potential top talent in the draft.

Cooley goes to Arizona. While I hope they go D with this pick, I don't think they can pass up on drafting such a highly skilled pivot here. They have holes everywhere, so just drafting the BPA will likely be their goal.

While I think Nemec will be the BPA on most boards at this point, I could see Francis going off the board and selecting a safer forward prospect. With that said, I think he may even entertain the idea of moving down. If Nemec has enough interest from a team in the 6-8 range, I feel like the return might make it worthwhile and there is a good chance Francis still gets the player he was going to take anyway.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Cooley's listed at 5'11.
I doubt that would be a problem especially after Francis signed 5'10 Jaden Schwartz to a five year deal or brought in 5'9(maybe) Yanni Gourde.
Ok, that is actually good to hear. I kept seeing him listed at 5'10, and typically with anything below 6' those numbers are even more inflated that usual.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
My guess is that

Wright goes to Montreal. Even if they have Cooley slightly ahead of Wright, I don't think they will want to roll two sub 6' centers as their core.

Slafkovsky goes to the Devils. While NJ needs RHD more than anything, drafting Hughes last year as their future PP QB and having Hamilton signed for over half a decade, I think they grab the potential top talent in the draft.

Cooley goes to Arizona. While I hope they go D with this pick, I don't think they can pass up on drafting such a highly skilled pivot here. They have holes everywhere, so just drafting the BPA will likely be their goal.

While I think Nemec will be the BPA on most boards at this point, I could see Francis going off the board and selecting a safer forward prospect. With that said, I think he may even entertain the idea of moving down. If Nemec has enough interest from a team in the 6-8 range, I feel like the return might make it worthwhile and there is a good chance Francis still gets the player he was going to take anyway.

I really hope he's not doing that.
I know that Lambert could turn out to be fantastic, but I just hope that Francis just picks one of those guys at #4.

Also, what exactly would a team in that range give up to trade up a couple of spots?
Another 2nd rounder?

Ok, that is actually good to hear. I kept seeing him listed at 5'10, and typically with anything below 6' those numbers are even more inflated that usual.

No matter if 5'10 or 5'11 it shouldn't be a problem and Francis has shown that he's not that focused on size when it comes to forwards.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I really hope he's not doing that.
I know that Lambert could turn out to be fantastic, but I just hope that Francis just picks one of those guys at #4.

Also, what exactly would a team in that range give up to trade up a couple of spots?
Another 2nd rounder?

I would hope he'd take Nemec at 4 as well, but I have a feeling that he may value one of the forwards still available above either defender, and if that were the case, then trading down and still getting the player he planned to draft at 4 would make some sense.

In theory, a team would be jumping up into a higher tier in the top ten, which should be pretty valuable, especially if several teams are interested in the pick. I would think a late first of value, or a pick 39-41 plus another top 100 pick.

But once again, it is a move that is only worth contemplating if they are planning on drafting someone that they think they can get in that 7-9 range. Giving up the player they view as the top player available for those extra picks doesn't make sense otherwise.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
idk, Montreal will take Wright. One would think.
NJ? What do they need? Seems to me their D is pretty bad, Subban on his way out so maybe RHD. Let's be optimistic and say they pick Nemec.
or Arizona is tanking beyond tanking for Bedard and takes a D man to make sure he's in the minors and that'll leave us one of the top forwards. might still work out.

Just NOT Lambert. Gamble I don't want to take.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If New Jersey has Slafkovsky and Nemec as a toss up to take at 2, I wonder what they would ask from Seattle to swap spots, with the guarantee Seattle would take the remaining center.

Reactions: Quackenator

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Frankly? I'm kinda pissed, but whatever.
One of the two d-men will be there, and IMO should be the pick. These are future franchise D we're talking about.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Even though he had a garbage second half compared to the first, he could end up being a good pick for whoever gets him. If he’s who Francis wants at 4, I won’t be disappointed.

Its the line of thinking if Seattle is gonna take a forward who's likely still going to be there. Its Savoie. His more recent season with Winnipeg ice. 65 games 35 goals 55 assists 90 points. Thats pretty dang good for a WHL player.

Ulimately it'll come down to whom of the 3 teams above does takes a dman instead of the a forward.

Quackenator

Mar 6, 2018
Poulsbo, Wa
My guess is that

I feel like jersey goes that route as well with hughes set to play.
Frankly? I'm kinda pissed, but whatever.
One of the two d-men will be there, and IMO should be the pick. These are future franchise D we're talking about.
I'm kinda bummed too but I'll take one of the D and hope for Bedard next draft cause I'm pretty sure we will still suck next year...which I'm totally cool with

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't think Cooley will be around at the 4th spot. Went Jiricek, less safe than Nemec but higher ceiling.

Reactions: Quackenator

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I feel like jersey goes that route as well with hughes set to play.

I'm kinda bummed too but I'll take one of the D and hope for Bedard next draft cause I'm pretty sure we will still suck next year...which I'm totally cool with

lets not hope that we'll tank away next season. No way the management wants that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad