2022 Draft Part III: Detroit Red Wings Have The #8 Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Östlund seems like a perfect target if we want to move up into the late 1st. At #8 it seems high, and trading down.. no.
I’ve heard Vancouver likes him at 15, so I don’t know how far you could trade down and get him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The study actually shows that q3 and q4 perform better. Players born in q1 are the least productive.

So young end of the draft (Jul 1-Sep 15) and older end (Sep 16-Dec 31) outperform draft position/frequency.

This makes some intuitive sense. Younger players might not quite be at the same place developmentally. Older players often get their skills/production minimized because scouts (and definitely folks on this board) think the extra 10 months means their skills production should be age-correlated.

It appears I am incorrect!

Reactions: emptyNedder

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Final Pronman Mock

(Slafkovsky (Yes he has him going 1), Jiricek, Cooley, Wright, Gauthier, Nemec, Kemell)

8. Detroit Red Wings: Marco Kasper, C, Rogle (SHL)

I’ve had Kasper to Detroit pretty much since my first mock draft, so I apologize for the lack of creativity here. I just see so much that makes sense from a talent, positional and stylistic fit. If they went in a different direction my best bet would be for either Savoie, Joakim Kemell or Korchinski.

He actually said this right at the end when talking about NJ at #2: "One name I’ve also been told not to rule out with New Jersey at No. 2 is Marco Kasper."

Reactions: Christien

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I',m planting my flag with C/RW Matthew Savoie with 8th overall and LHD Owen Pickering with a trade up or 2nd round selection.

Pickering will likely be gone, He's a big kid with good skating. I wont be surprised if he's gone by 20.

I'm not mad; I've never seen either guy play! How are you guys watching the international fellas!

(Legitimate question)

I've only got to see a hand-ful of prospects and they're all WHL/OHL.
A certain website that will appear in your pms

Reactions: Snuggs and Realgud

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
They are completely different from eachother, play different and have different roles.
I understand that. What I'm saying is I don't think one stood out as clearly better than the other when I watched them at the j20 level. Lekkerimaki had more success in the SHL but that can be attributed to multiple factors and doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of projecting them. Ostlund is a better playmaker and two way player and actually projects as a center if he puts on some muscle.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
i'd rather have Ostlund than that Kasper guy so many people seem to want

i'd much rather have Savoie than both of them though

giphy.gif

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I understand that. What I'm saying is I don't think one stood out as clearly better than the other when I watched them at the j20 level. Lekkerimaki had more success in the SHL but that can be attributed to multiple factors and doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of projecting them. Ostlund is a better playmaker and two way player and actually projects as a center if he puts on some muscle.
I remember reading his profile in the 2021 black book and thinking Ostlund sounded like a very intriguing option for us going into the year.

I didn't watch Djurgarden games, but the fact that Lekkerimaki and Ohgren surpassed him in most rankings would lead me to believe most people that watched that team thought those guys looked better.

I did see these 3 at the U18s though, and I thought Ostlund looked good there. Seems like that tournament really helped his stock. Most impressive thing to me though was Lekkerimaki's passing, that was my biggest question on him, and he looked like a guy that was dangerous as both a passer and shooter. Compared to Kemell who really didn't show me much playmaking in the same tournament.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Man, Ostlund wasn't a guy that I had looked at at all, but he looks really good to me. I'm going to have to do some more research to see why I shouldn't put him in my top 5

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
i'd rather have Ostlund than that Kasper guy so many people seem to want

i'd much rather have Savoie than both of them though
Me too. Definitely in the minority here on kasper. He has good work ethic, good size and a pretty smart player. His skating is pretty weak. Top end speed is ok. But don’t see many great offensive gifts. Think he could be a decent defensive 2/3C down the line but at 8 hope we take a more raw guy with higher upside

Reactions: ricky0034

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Man, Ostlund wasn't a guy that I had looked at at all, but he looks really good to me. I'm going to have to do some more research to see why I shouldn't put him in my top 5
Yeah, he looks amazing in highlights.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Ostlund is very smart and a very good passer but he's not much of a shooter, he's also light as a feather and for his size is not a + level skater. Very good agility but not much power or speed. His size could be a limiting factor but if he can't improve his speed then Ostlund is a guy you'll see as a very good player in a european league rather than playing in the NHL.

Reactions: raymond23

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I hope we draft c/ld but in all reality it depends on who is left to us at 8. Can't wait to find out at around 7:45 est who we get.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Even if Kasper is a third line he is going to drive opposite team nuts. I will not going to be surprised if he's gone before #8

I hope not. I'm hoping that Ottawa decides to go defense or winger this year to make up for their Tyler Boucher screwup last year. That should make one of Jiricek/Nemec, Kasper or Gauthier fall to #8.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Nobody talking about Cooley in this board, but he is the one who could be available at 8. After all , is he much better than Nazar or Savoie?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Nobody talking about Cooley in this board, but he is the one who could be available at 8. After all , is he much better than Nazar or Savoie?

I think Cooley is solidly a top 3 pick in this draft. The lowest I see him falling is 4, and that's if one of New Jersey or Arizona pick a defenseman at #2 or #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce