2022 Draft Part III: Detroit Red Wings Have The #8 Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Posting from last page of the old thread....
Nobody in this draft has me upset that he wont be there when the Wings pick. They should get someone pretty good, but not franchise defining.

I would be good with any of Kasper, Savoie, Lekkerimaki, Nazar, Yurov or even Lambert if our scouting team believes in him. Dont really care about any of the D outside of Nemec and Jiricek and I think they will be gone by 8. I would be just as happy grabbing someone like Ryan Chesley at 40 or 53 than I would those other names floating around as first round D. I liked his game a lot at the U18s. I still would like to see them find a way to draft Julian Lutz as well, he impressed me as well.

Hoping for Nazar or Ostlund
Would be thrilled if Ostlund is somehow there in the 2nd

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'm just happy we're in a range where it's possible Savoie could fall to us. Kemell would also have me excited but a little less so. At 8 I can't really see Kasper or Geekie being the pick because it's highly likely one of those two or Nazar is available, but you never know what Detroit's scouting staff thinks.

Reactions: 14ari13

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Button has us taking someone named Snuggerud

as someone that hasn't really been following this stuff very closely this year so has only really heard of the guys everyone talks about that list kinda feels like around the Ottawa pick he was just like "f*** it i'm gonna put fake names for the rest of the top 10 and see if anyone notices"

Reactions: Ulysses31

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
as someone that hasn't really been following this stuff very closely this year that list kinda feels like around the Ottawa pick he was just like "f*** it i'm gonna put fake names for the rest of the top 10 and see if anyone notices"
To be fair, Cutter Gauthier would be a better player but a similar player to reach for than Tyler Boucher last year. The part where he's ok crack is he has people making these picks while Savoie is still available. Also I just don't know what people see in Snuggerud that would warrant a top 20 pick, let alone top 10.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Max has us taking Gauthier (First 7: Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Jiricek, Nemec, Savoie, Kemell)

8. Detroit Red Wings: Cutter Gauthier, C/LW, USA U-18 (NTDP)

The Red Wings really could have used one of the potential top-line centers at the top of this class, as that position remains one of the weakest spots in their organization behind Dylan Larkin. There are “purer” center options available here in Marco Kasper, Frank Nazar and Conor Geekie, but Gauthier played some center earlier this season and has at least a chance to play there at the next level. Whether he sticks down the middle or ends up on the wing, though, his tool kit is impressive, as a swift skating 6-foot-2 sniper. —Max Bultman

Reactions: David D

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Max has us taking Gauthier (First 7: Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Jiricek, Nemec, Savoie, Kemell)

The Red Wings really could have used one of the potential top-line centers at the top of this class, as that position remains one of the weakest spots in their organization behind Dylan Larkin. There are “purer” center options available here in Marco Kasper, Frank Nazar and Conor Geekie, but Gauthier played some center earlier this season and has at least a chance to play there at the next level. Whether he sticks down the middle or ends up on the wing, though, his tool kit is impressive, as a swift skating 6-foot-2 sniper. —Max Bultman
And then the Ducks take Kasper....another year of the Ducks getting who I want. I would be big mad. Speaking of big mad, how ridiculous is it that the Jackets have 2 top 12 picks AGAIN. It's just crazy that Detroit has sucked just as bad, if not worse than them and somehow never got any decent draft capital out of it (whether it was a lotto win or multiple top 15 picks). I guess Cossa would be the closest thing...

Last edited:

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Button has us taking someone named Snuggerud

Wild. I mean if this is how it played out and you're SJS...do you take Savoie right after taking Eklund? I had Eklund at 2 on my list last year and will have Savoie high too. I don't turn away from the smaller guys but that's gotta give you a bit of pause.

Does knowing the draft position make anyone start seeing prospects differently? I hadn't even read this yet, but as soon as I saw we were picking 8th I started to like the idea of Gauthier there more.

Reactions: David D

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Im not that familiar with the US development guys, I've only seen them at the u18's. But Nazar reminds me of a RH Larkin and I can totally get behind that.

Reactions: jfrank21

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I dont know why, but I just don't see it with Gauthier. The numbers are there both on the stat sheet and on the tape measure, but I have not been impressed with what I've seen. I don't know if he's just not my flavor of player or what. I would take Kasper or Nazar or Lekkerimaki for sure over him. Hopefully, a top 7 team *cough Ottawa cough* takes that decision away.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
And then the Ducks take Kasper....another year of the Ducks getting who I want. I would be big mad. Speaking of big mad, how ridiculous is it that the Jackets have 2 top 12 picks AGAIN. It's just crazy that Detroit has sucked just as bad, if not worse than them and somehow never got any decent draft capital out of it (whether it was a lotto win or multiple top 15 picks). I guess Cossa would be the closest thing...
Ya having Zegras and Kasper would be dirty. The Wings have zero luck in the draft but i can't wait until Yzerman still builds a power house and we can say we did it without a first and getting screwed in the lottery every year. I would also be okay if something crazy from Yzerman happens though to try to get that 2nd. New jersey has said they would be open to trading their first that'd be pretty crazy. Hronek,Suter and 8th for their 1st and second and call it a day.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I could see it, and I would be just fine with it.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
To be fair, Cutter Gauthier would be a better player but a similar player to reach for than Tyler Boucher last year. The part where he's ok crack is he has people making these picks while Savoie is still available. Also I just don't know what people see in Snuggerud that would warrant a top 20 pick, let alone top 10.
Pretty asinine take to compare gauthier and Boucher. Gauthier is so much better as a prospect it’s not even funny.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

Is it just me or does his foot speed look a bit lacking. Love his shot, but definitely did not see the "swift skating" portion of his write-up in the couple of videos I saw of his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad