2022 Draft Part III: Detroit Red Wings Have The #8 Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I would be surprised if someone thought he had great goal scoring ability.

He’s almost a pure playmaker (from what I’ve gathered at least)

This is where you make your guap because of how close you follow the draft. Educate us on this prospect

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is where you make your guap because of how close you follow the draft. Educate us on this prospect
I don’t know too much about him, I’ve only personally seen him play at the U18s. Thought he looked good in that tournament, but Lekkerimaki was more impressive to me.

In the Black Book they said he is everything they like in a center prospect other than he’s 5’10 and like 150-160 lbs. (paraphrasing bc it’s not in front of me)

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Ostlund has some huge potential. Definitely a player who will need some time to develop his strength. One of the few guys with the potentiol to really tilt the ice. He certainly has center written all over him how he plays the game but obviously his size may be an issue he can't overcome to play center at NHL level. A player I'm very intrigued by. I was a little let down that he came in at 5'10 and not 5'11 at the combine.

Its Gauthier, Kasper, Ostlund in that order for me. No interest in a winger. If no center is available take a D. But unless we draft a 80+ point winger it just doesn't move the needle for me and our chances of finding a winger of that quality at 8 this year is unlikely.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm completely ready for a full weekend of "Should have traded back."
And "I can't believe they passed on [insert black book prospect who fell]"
The Black Book is actually a bit weird about Ostlund. They have so, so many good things to say. They love his stickhandling, passing, and vision. His shot is okay, but he makes up for it with plus hands. It's literally just his size they take issue with. And they also mention that there are some good reasons to think he'll be able to develop physically, like a wide frame and good athleticism at the combine.

All the while talking about how much they like him. Even the NHL scout quotes are really, really complimentary from June on. And then they rank him 41st?!

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
The Black Book is actually a bit weird about Ostlund. They have so, so many good things to say. They love his stickhandling, passing, and vision. His shot is okay, but he makes up for it with plus hands. It's literally just his size they take issue with. And they also mention that there are some good reasons to think he'll be able to develop physically, like a wide frame and good athleticism at the combine.

All the while talking about how much they like him. Even the NHL scout quotes are really, really complimentary from June on. And then they rank him 41st?!
I find most rankings of Ostlund absolutely baffling, to say the least.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Yeah, I don't think size would scare me off even a little.

Claude Giroux at draft 5'11" 169 lbs.
Ostlund currently measures in at 5'11" 163lbs.

Giroux being a guy who was taken in the 20s and should have been a top 5 pick. These things happen when you're grading kids.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, I really like Ostlund, but at 8? That would sting a little, especially if Kasper or Nazar are there. But despite being ranked at #41, the Black Book had this type of stuff to say about him...
"On the ice, Östlund is quick, mobile, and has perfect knowledge of his surroundings. His balance and mobility are what is allowing him to perform as well as he does at the j20 level. He has the ability to process the game while moving in all directions, even with the puck on his stick, this makes him very elusive and hard to catch. On the occasions where he gets caught he is often outmuscled and can be found bumped off his feet, but he was close to never caught off guard by a hit that he didn't know was coming his way"

"His way of excelling is instead to outsmart the opposition, by utilizing his ultra-high hockey sense and executing quick and precise, lateral movements on and off the puck. He loves to carry the puck in the offensive zone and he is a pass-first type of player...He is highly skilled and incredibly smart. His creativity allows for passes and plays that most players in the j20 Nationell simply can not see or anticipate as he has the ability to thread passes through an opening over or under sticks, on open areas, and by utilizing the boards. Give and go, lightness on the feet and the ability to roll off of defenders to win battles for important areas of the offensive zone are what he is all about. He is a player that thrives with sustained offensive pressure and he is a player that can generate a sustained attack by holding on to the puck and creating time and space for his teammates."

*Cough, young Datsyuk, cough*

But that size....now, if you want to ship some guys out or trade down to say 16 with Buffalo so we can get another 1st to draft my guy Julian Lutz with....now you're talking!

Edit: I shit you not, just ran the draft sim as Buffalo and traded 16, 28 and 74 to Detroit for #8. Drafted Lekkerimaki and Yurov for Buffalo at 8 and 9. The Sim, as Detroit, selected Ostlund at 16! So there you have it.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, I really like Ostlund, but at 8? That would sting a little, especially if Kasper or Nazar are there. But despite being ranked at #41, the Black Book had this type of stuff to say about him...
"On the ice, Östlund is quick, mobile, and has perfect knowledge of his surroundings. His balance and mobility are what is allowing him to perform as well as he does at the j20 level. He has the ability to process the game while moving in all directions, even with the puck on his stick, this makes him very elusive and hard to catch. On the occasions where he gets caught he is often outmuscled and can be found bumped off his feet, but he was close to never caught off guard by a hit that he didn't know was coming his way"

"His way of excelling is instead to outsmart the opposition, by utilizing his ultra-high hockey sense and executing quick and precise, lateral movements on and off the puck. He loves to carry the puck in the offensive zone and he is a pass-first type of player...He is highly skilled and incredibly smart. His creativity allows for passes and plays that most players in the j20 Nationell simply can not see or anticipate as he has the ability to thread passes through an opening over or under sticks, on open areas, and by utilizing the boards. Give and go, lightness on the feet and the ability to roll off of defenders to win battles for important areas of the offensive zone are what he is all about. He is a player that thrives with sustained offensive pressure and he is a player that can generate a sustained attack by holding on to the puck and creating time and space for his teammates."

*Cough, young Datsyuk, cough*

But that size....now, if you want to ship some guys out or trade down to say 16 with Buffalo so we can get another 1st to draft my guy Julian Lutz with....now you're talking!

You could swap these quotes and I wouldn't know which was which.

Claude Giroux​

Drafted: 22nd overall, 2006 (Philadelphia Flyers)
Scouting reports:

From The Hockey News:

Assets: Has electric moves, outstanding offensive creativity and smarts, as well as plenty of finishing skills. Is at his best with the puck on his stick. Has amazing hands, which he uses to lay soft passes on linemates’ sticks. Can play both center and wing. Dominates on special teams.
Flaws: Doesn’t shoot the puck instinctively, so he tends to pass up quality scoring chances from time to time. Lacks ideal size to win corner battles at the highest level but is extremely courageous and resilient, and physical play doesn’t bother him. Will turn the puck over, since he has it so often.
Career Potential: Elite playmaker with game-changing acumen.
From Hockey’s Future:

Giroux’s greatest talent is his playmaking ability. Boasting excellent hands and great vision, the diminutive winger is able to use his quick skating ability to turn something out of nothing. Giroux, despite his size disadvantage, does not mind getting his nose dirty, and will stand in to take a hit in order to make a play. He does get bodied often, but the shifty winger is agile enough to avoid checks on a regular basis.

Reactions: jfrank21

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

It’s a weird read, but I can get my head around it. Without knowing if his body rounds into form, it’s hard to project him up. At that point, you’re basically trying to say his iq and playmaking ability is going to be the elite of the elite. Like Gaudreau level.

Hard to plant your flag on that one

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
I think with how good our staff is over in Sweden, we could take any of these Swedish guys and develop them into solid NHLers. From what i’ve seen of Ostlund, good hands, good skater, he looks like a guy that could easily be developed into a much better player. I trust Stevie Kronner and Hakan.

Reactions: David D

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
The thing that most analyses seem to almost completely ignore is how good his 2-way game is. He's amazing defensively. He's so involved as he roams the middle of the defensive zone and reads the play to facility work for his teammates. He can go low into the defensive zone to help defensemen for breakouts, either by positioning himself for an easy pass or goes in to lift sticks and help retrieve the puck. And the other thing is his outstanding faceoff ability for his age. Just a really complete player with so many high-end tools and a genius brain for the game. Love to watch him.

Reactions: bedtime20

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Ahem, here's what I was able to do with that trade with Buffalo...
(16) Noah Ostlund, C
(28) Julian Lutz, LW
(40) David Goyette, C
(52) Tomas Hamara, LD
(73) Topias Leinonen, G
(74) Gleb Trikozov, C
(105) Cole Knuble, RW
(113) Elias Pettersson, LD
(137) Logan Morrison, C
(201) Charlie Leddy, RD
(212) Cedrick Guindon, C

You can send me the check in the mail Stevie

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
In about 2-3 years we will know if Yzerman got good one. No way I could know who is better at this moment. My guess it will be Draper pick this draft

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
In about 2-3 years we will know if Yzerman got good one. No way I could know who is better at this moment. My guess it will be Draper pick this draft
Top 10 picks are not made in this league without GM involvement. I get trust your staff, but Yzerman like all the other GMs is going to make his input known on a first round pick, especially once you get up in the top half of the first.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Ooh, I love the hype for Ostlund. Last year, I had him pegged as a top 10 pick. Granted, I’d hoped he’d have gained another inch or 10 pounds in the past year, but it is what it is. But he’s been weirdly treated like an afterthought in this draft so I eventually just assumed I wasn’t seeing some red flags or something. Im glad he’s getting respect here though. If we could trade down to the teens and pick up another pick, I’d be happy to take him.

Really though, I’ll be fine with whoever we take at this point. Even if it’s a guy like Snuggerud. This draft crew just makes good decisions. They seem really discerning about character too. There are a lot of guys I could get on board with this year. I trust their choice. It’s scary that you can’t say that about authority figures often.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
It’s pretty shocking how you all just assume the word of some random user as if it’s legit or has merit, he could’ve easily just been throwing out a random name last time with seider and got lucky. That’s the much more likely explanation than some random person has sources Inside detroit with yzerman at the helm. I’d be shocked if it was ostlund.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020

That was a big surprise on my read as well. Some of the scouts he quoted said he rocketed up their boards after the U18s too. I’d be pretty happy with Östlund if he’s our guy.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Scouching has either Nazar or Lekkerimaki going to Detroit. Lekkerimaki fits the role we need, a good goalscorer. Nazar fits our need in a high ceiling center. I like it.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I',m planting my flag with C/RW Matthew Savoie with 8th overall and LHD Owen Pickering with a trade up or 2nd round selection.

Pickering will likely be gone, He's a big kid with good skating. I wont be surprised if he's gone by 20.

If Lekkerimaki is a possible top 10 pick I'm not sure I see what clearly separates him from Ostlund.
I'm not mad; I've never seen either guy play! How are you guys watching the international fellas!

(Legitimate question)

I've only got to see a hand-ful of prospects and they're all WHL/OHL.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Not like we should take it seriously or anything after what he said about Perfetti to Detroit, but Sam Constantino said that he can't see Kasper getting past Ottawa and definitely not Detroit. They talk about it around 40:40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad