2022 Draft Part III: Detroit Red Wings Have The #8 Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawraw

Jan 19, 2019
Ostlund is very smart and a very good passer but he's not much of a shooter, he's also light as a feather and for his size is not a + level skater. Very good agility but not much power or speed. His size could be a limiting factor but if he can't improve his speed then Ostlund is a guy you'll see as a very good player in a european league rather than playing in the NHL.

One of Östlund’s many strengths is his speed and pace of play as he constantly burns opposing defences with it

An undersized forward, Ostlund makes up for it by being a dynamic skater. He has a great first step and excellent acceleration Ostlund is able to use his ability to change speeds to fool defenders. He can take them wide and blow by them. When they back off to respect his speed, Ostlund takes advantage by using the defender as a screen and firing the puck on the net. He also takes advantage of the passing lanes that open up. Ostlund also has excellent top-end speed that allows him to play a 200-foot game. Ostlund could stand to add some lower body strength to his frame though. This will help him to maintain his balance and power through checks, hooks, and holds. It will also help him to win battles on the boards and in front of the net

Östlund has quite a bit of speed and lot of that can be credited to his crossover usage. When he blends his crossovers and stride extensions, he can garner the necessary acceleration to chase through the neutral zone, catch up to an attacker in the slot and play man on man. His speed when going north – south makes him a handful because it can be a challenge to get enough separation away from Östlund when the attacker. But, his speed doesn’t just help him defensively. He will also leverage crossovers and stride extensions to keep himself aligned with his puck carrying teammates when they are skating up the ice.

He has good posture and keeps himself lowered with his knees bent. Östlund has quality ankle flexion and his knees align with the toe of his skate. With his quality ankle flexion and lowered posture, it allows him to generate maximum speed on his crossovers and stride extensions.

Aside from his crossover and stride extensions, he leans on his edges to maintain the speed that the had before the turn and generally retains his speed well. But, what I really like about Östlund is his ability to activate additional speed quickly immediately after he completes the turn. Immediately, you will see him leverage his crossovers right after the turn to acquire additional acceleration before he goes into full stride. The amount of speed that the can gain off of those crossovers can make him lethal, especially when you think about how deceptive Östlund is. The fact that he can on a dime, complete a turn, retain speed and add to his speed makes him very dangerous in situations where he is down low in tight and navigating around intense congestion.

Reactions: NickH8

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I've read those. I've also watched Ostlund at the Hlinka and watched the WJC18's.

He's got OK speed, great agility.

Nazar is fast
Cooley is fast
Kasper is fast
Gauthier is fast
Ostlund is quick

There's a big difference between quick and fast. If Ostlund was faster to compensate for his size then he'd be a top 10 or top 12 pick instead of being considered late 1st/early 2nd.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
At the end of the day, Yzerman has earned people not to freak out over who he picks. But man I really want one of Gauthier, Kaseper or Savoie

I keep saying that I am going in without any major preferences, but if Savoie is there and we elect to go in another direction, I would probably be bummed. He's one of the few prospects I actually made a point to watch during the year and stay a believer in his talent.

rawraw

Jan 19, 2019
I've read those. I've also watched Ostlund at the Hlinka and watched the WJC18's.

He's got OK speed, great agility.

Nazar is fast
Cooley is fast
Kasper is fast
Gauthier is fast
Ostlund is quick

There's a big difference between quick and fast. If Ostlund was faster to compensate for his size then he'd be a top 10 or top 12 pick instead of being considered late 1st/early 2nd.

I saw him play in those tournaments as well and I've also seen him play live here in Stockholm. Östlund is fast. Nothing in those scouting reports indicate that he's only quick, they do however talk about how fast he is and how his speed is a strenght.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I keep saying that I am going in without any major preferences, but if Savoie is there and we elect to go in another direction, I would probably be bummed. He's one of the few prospects I actually made a point to watch during the year and stay a believer in his talent.
He would definitely be a fun player to watch if he pans out, and a swing I could get behind.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

yeah that's pretty much where i'm at too, Wright/Slafkovsky/Cooley would be great too but no way those guys make it to 8

Savoie feels like he could potentially end up at that level while also still having a good chance of actually being there at 8

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Savoie is a top 5 player for me, so I'm with you.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
yeah that's pretty much where i'm at too, Wright/Slafkovsky/Cooley would be great too but no way those guys make it to 8

Savoie feels like he could potentially end up at that level while also still having a good chance of actually being there at 8
Savoie is a top 5 player for me, so I'm with you.
He would definitely be a fun player to watch if he pans out, and a swing I could get behind.

He's a guy that I would be drafting purely based off the talent without a care what position he ends up in. I know that the size debate will always be around, but I think from a pure ability standpoint, he's every bit as safe of a pick as Shane Wright is. Many of his tools play, at a minimum, at the NHL average level for me. I've said it before, but he's one of very few guys that is hard to nitpick. Might nitpick and say he doesn't do anything at an elite level, but I'll be damned if he isn't comfortably above average in all areas compared to his peers.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I like Ostlund but I think Ohgren would be the better swede to reach for. Not as elite of a skater but he has a nice shot and his off puck game is very good. He could be one of those not so sexy picks that moves up in re-drafts.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
ESPN/Wyshynski Mock

(Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Nemec, Gauthier, Jiricek, Kemell)

8. Detroit Red Wings: Marco Kasper, C, Rogle (Sweden)​

The words "consensus choice" and "Steve Yzerman" don't usually coexist. That said, too many pundits and insiders see this match between a versatile, high-character Austrian center and the Red Wings for us not to concede the choice here. He's a terrific competitor, albeit with a lower ceiling than some of the other options available here. Another name to watch here: Matthew Savoie.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I like Ostlund but I think Ohgren would be the better swede to reach for. Not as elite of a skater but he has a nice shot and his off puck game is very good. He could be one of those not so sexy picks that moves up in re-drafts.

Could Öhgren transfer to Center?

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Could Öhgren transfer to Center?
I haven't seen him play it so I would say no.

ESPN/Wyshynski Mock

(Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Nemec, Gauthier, Jiricek, Kemell)

8. Detroit Red Wings: Marco Kasper, C, Rogle (Sweden)​

The words "consensus choice" and "Steve Yzerman" don't usually coexist. That said, too many pundits and insiders see this match between a versatile, high-character Austrian center and the Red Wings for us not to concede the choice here. He's a terrific competitor, albeit with a lower ceiling than some of the other options available here. Another name to watch here: Matthew Savoie.
He really makes a lot of sense. Beyond needing better centers the dude competes like a motherf***er. I'm expecting him or Savoie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad