Prospect Info: 2022 Draft: 3OA - Logan Cooley, C

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Kind of surprises me. I wonder why. As soon as I heard ceiling comps to Chris Pronger, he was instantly my guy.
At least for a few weeks, lol.

Could have been 6
Slaf > Cooley > Nemec > Wright > Gauthier > Jiricek is my guess.

But I have a feeling Wright/Gauthier and possibly Nemec were all pretty much equal in the staff mind.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I suspect Wright will be in the National next year, any other picks playing game 1 next year?

Slaf probably has the next best shot followed by Gauthier. Usually a surprise or two as well so I will go with McGroaty, Kemell (NSH losing Forsberg may open a spot) and Yurov as my darkhorse candidates

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Hayton has not worked out and needs to be moved before the rest of the teams realize it.

Even without Matthews imo Geekie is great insurance in case Hayton doesn't work out. And BA gets his 6'4" monster who can hit. Great pick BA!

@87turbobuick

When did I say the first (bolded) statement? It's not what I believe most of the time and I haven't been posting much in the last few months regardless. Thx for the assist

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
But I have a feeling Wright/Gauthier and possibly Nemec were all pretty much equal in the staff mind.
Probably. We'll see what happens with his progress as a Blue Jackets prospect. I wonder if they leave him in Europe or bring him to Cleveland this fall. I wouldn't mind seeing a game or two in Tucson but if I'm going to watch prospects in person I'm a lot more excited about ASU. Especially when Cooley and the Gopher team visits. We were chatting about Isaac Howard going to Minnesota Duluth yesterday. ASU does play them to open the season but it's in Duluth.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I screwed up the quote, that is me speaking.

Got it thx -- We can (slightly) disagree on Hayton, personally I agree he hasn't shown much but imo we should probably give him another year or two before selling low on him if needed -- imo the return would probably be about the same if we sold low on him now or in a few years anyway. Also it's not like he's taking up a roster spot from someone more deserving so who cares if he stinks it up next year, worst case we suck again (yay), next time maybe we actually win the draft lottery there's some guy named Bedard who's supposed to be pretty good.

BUT. If I had to say TODAY do I think Hayton will eventually become an effective NHL-level top 6 forward? No I do not, we're in agreement about that. Hopefully we're both wrong (or at least we're able to get an ok return for him if he ends up in a trade)

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Plandowski said they aren't worried about Cooley being short because they think he can be big and strong. They mentioned his wingspan, shoulders, and torso. They said they did their research, and they think he's going to be a powerful player.

IronFinn

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2022
Scottsdale
Got it thx -- We can (slightly) disagree on Hayton, personally I agree he hasn't shown much but imo we should probably give him another year or two before selling low on him if needed -- imo the return would probably be about the same if we sold low on him now or in a few years anyway. Also it's not like he's taking up a roster spot from someone more deserving so who cares if he stinks it up next year, worst case we suck again (yay), next time maybe we actually win the draft lottery there's some guy named Bedard who's supposed to be pretty good.

BUT. If I had to say TODAY do I think Hayton will eventually become an effective NHL-level top 6 forward? No I do not, we're in agreement about that. Hopefully we're both wrong (or at least we're able to get an ok return for him if he ends up in a trade)
I said it before and I will say it again. Hayton had a much improved second half last year. He played in 34 of the Coyotes last 41 games and put up 18 points. That is a 43 point pace over an entire 82 game season. I am confident he will improve on that pace this coming season.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I said it before and I will say it again. Hayton had a much improved second half last year. He played in 34 of the Coyotes last 41 games and put up 18 points. That is a 43 point pace over an entire 82 game season. I am confident he will improve on that pace this coming season.
Thats a 36 point pace. So essentially Dvo numbers.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
He was injured for the first 7 of those. If he stays healthy it is a 43 point pace.
Whoops. I completely screwed that up. You're right. When I read your post first I was thinking "that doesn't sound right". Im just an idiot.

So he just needs to keep it up and he's already better than both Dvorak and Hanzal statistically. Lol

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

100% agree (that he'll improve from this year), and also think that he has generally been improving since coming in the league.

BUT.

My problem with penciling Hayton in our top 6 is that to me he currently seems like a 1-dimensional player not unlike Schmaltz (i.e., pure offense). So, as a 2C on a cup contender he'd have to either put up lots of points (~ppg at least) or completely add another dimension to contribute in some other way.

Put a different way SC contending teams usually have two quality offensive centers in their lineup, like say MacK / Kadri (and Kadri has far more grit), Stamkos / Point, Sid / Malkin, Matthews / Tavares etc. The 2C also often brings another dimension (ROR for instance or even someone like Hischier who is a legitimate 200 foot forward). Hell, even Kuznetsov kills penalties.

Right now, Hayton doesn't do any of those things. He can still absolutely learn, he does make amazing plays (albeit inconsistently) and if Keller can pack on muscle over the offseason to become a play driver who's also strong on the puck (great combination), then why can't Hayton do something similar. Imo he absolutely can so imo too soon to give up on him.

But yeah, an improvement on 43 points to let's say 60-65 points annually... imo still good not enough to build around as a top 6 player if we are to build an actual cup contender. And I think that is almost his best case scenario for next year, maybe he improves offensively even more after that, if so great we can talk about it then. But for me it's more around whether he can add other dimensions to his game, I really hope he does -- not necessarily confident at this point, we will all be watching in real time.

And yes, absolutely hope he gets there. Wishing the best for the kid (and our team)

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
100% agree (that he'll improve from this year), and also think that he has generally been improving since coming in the league.

BUT.

My problem with penciling Hayton in our top 6 is that to me he currently seems like a 1-dimensional player not unlike Schmaltz (i.e., pure offense). So, as a 2C on a cup contender he'd have to either put up lots of points (~ppg at least) or completely add another dimension to contribute in some other way.

Put a different way SC contending teams usually have two quality offensive centers in their lineup, like say MacK / Kadri (and Kadri has far more grit), Stamkos / Point, Sid / Malkin, Matthews / Tavares etc. The 2C also often brings another dimension (ROR for instance or even someone like Hischier who is a legitimate 200 foot forward). Hell, even Kuznetsov kills penalties.

Right now, Hayton doesn't do any of those things. He can still absolutely learn, he does make amazing plays (albeit inconsistently) and if Keller can pack on muscle over the offseason to become a play driver who's also strong on the puck (great combination), then why can't Hayton do something similar. Imo he absolutely can so imo too soon to give up on him.

But yeah, an improvement on 43 points to let's say 60-65 points annually... imo still good not enough to build around as a top 6 player if we are to build an actual cup contender. And I think that is almost his best case scenario for next year, maybe he improves offensively even more after that, if so great we can talk about it then. But for me it's more around whether he can add other dimensions to his game, I really hope he does -- not necessarily confident at this point, we will all be watching in real time.

And yes, absolutely hope he gets there. Wishing the best for the kid (and our team)
I’m not clear on what dimension you think is one-dimensional at. Can you expand?

Reactions: Prarievarg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad