Prospect Info: 2022 Draft: 3OA - Logan Cooley, C

KG

Sep 23, 2010
you're right, just checked eliteprospects again, not sure what i read the first time.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Cooley seemed ginuinely happy to be drafted by us and there was a report that there was a player that wanted AZ to pick them wasn't there? It will be great to have both Doan and Cooley advocating for our team when we're good and trying to get FAs or trading for a player that has a full NTC.

Reactions: KG and Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I count 81 games this year and 79 last year?
Don’t double-count the GP on elite prospects for NTDP kids. One is USHL and the other is USHL AND NCAA games combined. It’s confusing. But you don’t need to add them.

I had Cooley 3rd on my list. But not much daylight between 1-4 (Slafkovsky, Wright, Cooley, Nemec).

Cooley is the most entertaining player in the draft. The most fun to watch. Best skater.

It’s exciting for the Coyotes to finally be the team that picks the player like this.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

It was a mild surprise to some draft analysts and fans that the Coyotes chose Cooley over Shane Wright, the long presumed top pick who dropped all the way to No. 4 and Seattle. When asked how he differentiated between the two, Armstrong noted their contrasting styles.

“Wright’s a really good player in the sense that he can shoot a puck,” Armstrong said, ‘where Cooley is more of a skater and pushing the pace and he plays a little bit faster. He’s more, for me, a puck mover. He makes people better around him.

“He’s a very determined kid. He is on the puck. I think that’s one of his greatest attributes is just how he’s got an engine.”

Cooley had 75 points combined between the U18 and juniors (USHL) teams this past season. He will more than likely spend next season at the University of Minnesota with Arizona product Matthew Knies after initially committing to Notre Dame, but it was at the NTDP where Cooley said his game truly blossomed.

“I think it’s just how hard they push you there,” he said. “You just focus on hockey every day. Practices are two hours, workouts are two hours long. When you’re on the ice, you’re battling against the best kids in the country. You can’t go anywhere else and do that. In the weight room, they push you hard. We work out every day for two hours and with all the resources you have there it’s like no other place around.”

Cooley’s size (5-10½) will be a knock on his potential until he proves otherwise, but the Pittsburgh native embraced his skill set long ago when finally gave up on the idea of emulating his childhood idol, Alex Ovechkin, and gave in to a style of play that vaulted him all the way to No. 3 pick at the 2022 NHL Draft.

“I don’t even know how it started, to be honest,” he said, laughing. “I just loved Ovechkin. I’d watch his highlights and stuff, just the way he celebrated when he scored goals. I just fell in love with watching him and he turned me into a Capitals fan. I always rooted for them against the Pens. It was kind of funny and I got a lot of hate for it.

“It’s kind of funny now because I think it’s fair to say that I’m the complete opposite of Ovechkin.”

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Cooley’s ability to play in tight spaces is what i really like about him. Plays with speed as well. Exciting pick.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Such a great pick for this team and their rebuild. Dynamic offensive centers with 1C upside usually are found in the top have of the 1st round...so happy BA went with Cooley over Wright. I would've been ok with Wright, but Cooley's potential adds a layer of excitement to the Center position this team hasnt had in a LONG time.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Yeah Wights attitude and actions during his interviews and at the draft ..kind of turned me off to him…

I was actually worried when he fell to us… finally great to have a GM that picks the “Marner over Strome” ( bad analogy)
thinking if we had won the lottery , we would have traded down from 1

on a side note ..some had mentioned 5 prospects were taken out to dinner by the Yotes , and one of them kept texting the Coyotes executive’s daughter.. I wonder who that would have been ?

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yeah Wights attitude and actions during his interviews and at the draft ..kind of turned me off to him…

I was actually worried when he fell to us… finally great to have a GM that picks the “Marner over Strome” ( bad analogy)
thinking if we had won the lottery , we would have traded down from 1

on a side note ..some had mentioned 5 prospects were taken out to dinner by the Yotes , and one of them kept texting the Coyotes executive’s daughter.. I wonder who that would have been ?

Yep, the stare down to the Montreal table was embarrassing, shows lack of maturity. Be humble kid and work hard...remember, it's not where you start but where you finish.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
One thing I don’t like about Wright was he kept saying he deserved to be taken first. I don’t know if that’s confidence or entitlement but it rubbed me the wrong way.
Slav did as well but it didn't seem to bother me lie it did with Wright ... I absolutely love Slav's peronality.. kind of reminds me of Ovi

Nope, take a look at the tape, he was taking pics w/Bettman, then turned and stared then smiled again for another picture taker w/Bettman then again turned and stared down the Montreal group
yup bit of an attitude for sure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad