Prospect Info: 2022 Draft: #11 - Conor Geekie, C

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I wonder if we just sign Geekie now. Ass injury and all.

Honestly makes no difference and there's no downside. A lot of '22 draft picks in the top 2 rounds have already signed, so why not Geekie?

p.s. Just a thought: with the Oil Kings losing so many of their players to the pro ranks for next season, why not engineer a trade to get Guenther over to the Ice so he can play next season with Geekie and a team who has a great shot to make a Mem Cup run? :cool:

Any updates on his injury? Did we break our new toy?

Man, that's one of the best avatars I've ever seen :laugh:

Reactions: ck26

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
His liability is skating, that's very hard to overcome in this league.
Not if you're willing to really work with a skating coach. They can make meaningful improvements. For a power forward or big center agility to me is much more important than top end speed. I don't expect Geekie to be leading the rush. His game is size and strength. One can teach skating but one cannot teach size.

Reactions: Grimes

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's implying that it represents a strong work ethic, which is usually something a person develops early in life. Or maybe he just doesn't like showering with other men. :laugh:
It was the cleaning up for the Zamboni driver/ice crew that he was referencing I think. That he’s a hard worker who’s got blue collar roots and hasn’t forgotten them. That he’s a dedicated and respectful salt of the earth type. That’s what I interpreted the meaning to be, anyway.

Is it true? I have no idea at all. It’s a fluff tweet to accompany a fluff piece. It’s summer. And it’s a nice positive story.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not if you're willing to really work with a skating coach. They can make meaningful improvements. For a power forward or big center agility to me is much more important than top end speed. I don't expect Geekie to be leading the rush. His game is size and strength. One can teach skating but one cannot teach size.
Tell that to Strome. The way it sounds coming from Geekie's mouth is he is happy with his top end, but it's the first few steps he needs to get quicker. Size means nothing if you don't use it. Not sure if Geekie does or does not. Have to ask hbk or rt as they watch all these kids.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Tell that to Strome. The way it sounds coming from Geekie's mouth is he is happy with his top end, but it's the first few steps he needs to get quicker. Size means nothing if you don't use it. Not sure if Geekie does or does not. Have to ask hbk or rt as they watch all these kids.
I don’t watch the prospects as much as hbk and rt do but I can tell you Geekie is a better skater right now than Strome was when we drafted him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don’t watch the prospects as much as hbk and rt do but I can tell you Geekie is a better skater right now than Strome was when we drafted him.
That is not saying much.:laugh: I have seen some clips of Geekie, and I agree he is not that bad of a skater. My point was that you can't always teach these kids to be a much better skater. There are many Strome's out there, and most don't make it to the NHL because their skating never improved enough for the NHL.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

Watch this clip. I started it at the 2 minute mark, you only need to watch for about a minute or so to see his skating is not that bad, just needs to learn the first quick steps/explosiveness

I said it when we drafted him. If he pans out, I expect a less defensive, more offensive and equally physical version of a healthy Martin Hanzal.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be

Watch this clip. I started it at the 2 minute mark, you only need to watch for about a minute or so to see his skating is not that bad, just needs to learn the first quick steps/explosiveness

I said it when we drafted him. If he pans out, I expect a less defensive, more offensive and equally physical version of a healthy Martin Hanzal.

The great thing about Geekie and his skating is he knows that's his area with room for improvement. He's been consistent in stating that since the moment he was drafted.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Geekie CAN skate extremely well for his size. Problem with him is he often doesn’t. It’s all about consistency with him. When he feels like it, he’s an absolute force. But he can also sleepwalk through entire games. Or several games in a row, even.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Geekie CAN skate extremely well for his size. Problem with him is he often doesn’t. It’s all about consistency with him. When he feels like it, he’s an absolute force. But he can also sleepwalk through entire games. Or several games in a row, even.

I think that can apply to about 99% of the rest of the league, too, so I'm not incredibly worried about it.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013

Watch this clip. I started it at the 2 minute mark, you only need to watch for about a minute or so to see his skating is not that bad, just needs to learn the first quick steps/explosiveness.

Isn't that what they said about Strome?? You go to the Blackhawks forum and they reference Strome's skating somewhat. Also from the Capitals forum, "I hope they get him a good skating coach, and a really good offseason strength program so he can skate faster (if his wheels are what people say, without me watching videos of him skating in games)."

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

We can't forget that the NHL is much quicker.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I'm hoping he can take on a bigger role in Winnipeg this season, maybe get a 3C spot on team Canada in December World Juniors, and have a really explosive season. Because of the stupid CHL agreement, he'll probably spend two more seasons in the WHL

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad