Prospect Info: 2022 Draft: #11 - Conor Geekie, C

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I like this pick. I like this kid, to. Great pedigree. Works as hard as Doan did. Hits and plays big. This is a new breed of scouts. I'd wager we have the best scouting team in the league, I trust them a hell of a lot more than anyone that had been at the wheel in the past 20 drafts. They wanted this kid for a reason. He was projected on a few FINAL ranking lists in the top 5. I would have preferred Gautheir than Geekie but this was the net best kid for style of play and role. This is a good one.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome likes to slow the whole game down with the puck on his stick. It worked a lot better in OHL than NHL. Geekie will play a fast paced, intense game with the puck.

Geekie's biggest weakness is his tendency to become disengaged. It's something that needs to be sorted out for sure. I think if he can be thrust into the 1C role next season in the WHL then he might step up his engagement.
He does look slow.

Reactions: Yandover

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
We drafted Cooley and Geekie while keeping Chychrun on the team. If you told yourself that back in November you'd spit your drink out.

I have mixed feelings here especially with some of the other names on the board but we can overbake him. We don't need to rush him into the league because we need centers. Dream scenario would be Savoie to be traded or make the Sabres roster of the Ice become Geekie's team.

I will buy a jersey if he remotely looks like the real deal.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I had Geekie at 11th on my list. There were players I liked more available but most of them were small, so after Cooley I’m fine with this.

As much as I’ve been saying “trust the staff”, I’m going to do just that. When we picked Cooley, I took the staff approval as affirmation. That it was proof my feelings were correct and Cooley was a good pick. With Geekie I’m going to take it as assurance. Despite my doubts, I’m assured that the staff knows what they’re doing.

A couple of notes;

1) he’s a great kid from a great family. There’s a Wheeler article about his backstory that everyone needs to read. It was noted at the combine that he kind of stole the show with his personality. Teams loved him. Also, he’d hilarious is kind of an air-head way. His brother too. Go watch videos of his brother’s interviews in Seattle. He’s hilarious.

2) sometimes he’s the best player in this draft. Seriously. I’ve seen shifts, games, and weeks where he looks like Adam Fantilli and not only better than Savoie but better than Cooley or Wright or Slafkovsky. When he’s on his game he’s a force. When he’s pissed off, he’s incredible. But he’s woefully inconsistent. He can sleepwalk through shifts, games, and even weeks.

That’s his issue. It’s not skating. People who think skating is the problem are being lazy in their analysis. His skating isn’t an issue at al when he’s on. It’s an issue when he’s not. And THAT is his issue; consistency. The only reason Geekie wasn’t 1st overall in this draft is consistency. He doesn’t always play at his top level. If he did, Montreal would’ve taken him instead of Slafkovsky.

3) he’s nothing like Dylan Strome apart from being a tall CHL center drafted early. Their games aren’t sole at all.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Been pretty busy, but still browse through here every now and then to see who's still around on Forum 40.
It’s a good thing the profile pics tranferred with the new website. Otherwise I wouldn’t remember anyone. Never been good with names…

Back on topic, I guess this is the home run swing BA was eluding to. I remember Hanzals first rookie camp. He was god awful and so raw. He turned out alright. Looking forward to getting a look at the player in camp.

Seems like Strome to me but not a bad thing at this spot ..
It hurt more following Mcdavid and Eichel…

Reactions: IPreferPi

rt

May 13, 2004
Was just going back and reading my notes on him from October and November and watching some of those highlights. I’m pretty pumped right now to have this kid along with Cooley.

Reactions: 0point1

rt

May 13, 2004
Watch the first minute and the last minute of this interview. You’ll see what I mean about the Geekie kids. Their brother Noah is funny too.

This article about the family is amazing. They grew up in an 8 building town with 137 people. Three hours west of Winnipeg and two hours north of Brandon.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don’t remember which podcast, but I remember hearing that Geekie really stole the show at the combine with his personality. He showed off his singing talents which are apparently pretty good, and I believe he treated teams to a juggling show, as well.

Reactions: Schemp and Jakey53

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Dream scenario would be Savoie to be traded or make the Sabres roster of the Ice become Geekie's team.
Savoie was shifted to RW by the ice late in the season. That gave their big acquisition Jack Finley room as 1C. Finley should be moving on to the AHL now so I'm hoping

Benson - Geekie - Savoie

becomes a thing.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Having taken Cooley at 3 makes me feel much better about this pick. Takes the pressure off Geekie to really allow him to take his time with his development. Couple seasons in junior and possibly another in Tucson if need be. Another rock solid center prospect.

Reactions: 0point1

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Worst part of this trade is the horrible rink/sight lines from the video feed on chl tv with the ice.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I feel like I’m already eating crow on this pick. Haha. He’s a really likable kid. I got extremely down on him early because every time I got to watch him play he seemed disengaged and never moved his feet. And when he did his skating was below average. (Not Strome bad, but not good) I REALLY didn’t want that at 3. 10th to 20th overall is a lot more palatable and the upside is worth the risk at this point. I’m coming around to this one pretty quickly.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I've had it in my head that we couldn't draft Geekie for so long that I think I was a little dumbfounded by the pick at first. I've really come around to it. Especially because we didn't have to move Chychrun to make it. I feel like I would be been less thrilled if we moved Chychrun to CBJ and selected Geekie. Instead this is the Dvo 1st and some change for Geekie.

Meanwhile SJ took Bystedt at 27...

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Because he is slow. They hope he can speed up or he won't make it.

I have only seen one clip of him so take my comment with a grain of salt. rt said when he is on his skating is good, and he watches these kids, where I don't.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I had Geekie going to the BJs with the 12th pick, so I find it fascinating that we traded up to the 11th, and with Bill talking to Jarko the other day, did it slip out they were interested?

Will he be centering for Guenther?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad