Speculation: 2022 Coyotes Off Season Discussion Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You and @rt are probably right. I'm not good at valuation and trade proposals, that's why I usually just watch. My main point is that I think we're going to regret not getting the Columbus deal. I'm expecting Chychrun to miss significant time due to injury like he always does and his value to drop more. If that were to happen, I was thinking that in hindsight we could end up regretting not getting the 12th OA, even if it were straight up.

If Chychrun gets injured again this season and misses significant time and/or doesn't dazzle, where do you guys think his value will end up?
Still not less than Kuemper or Dvorak probably. And it seems like those are the types of packages we’re declining. Which is okay.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Still not less than Kuemper or Dvorak probably. And it seems like those are the types of packages we’re declining. Which is okay.
I agree that we should get more than we did for Kuemper or Dvorak. I'm probably about to show just how clueless I really am at judging value, but here goes lol.

Wouldn't the 12th overall have more value than a late first in 2022 and a second that's not until 2024, like we got for Dvorak? Even if both picks were in 2022 I'd assume we wouldn't be able to package the two and trade up as high as 12OA, would we?

For Kuemper we got Timmins who hasn't played a full season due to injuries (like Chych but with a shorter sample size, still missing a lot of games) along with another late first and a third. How far apart is that from the value of the 12th overall?

I'm not arguing with you here lol, just figuring out your perspective.

Edit: To me the 12OA says quality and the others say quantity.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
I agree that we should get more than we did for Kuemper or Dvorak. I'm probably about to show just how clueless I really am at judging value, but here goes lol.

Wouldn't the 12th overall have more value than a late first in 2022 and a second that's not until 2024, like we got for Dvorak? Even if both picks were in 2022 I'd assume we wouldn't be able to package the two and trade up as high as 12OA, would we?

For Kuemper we got Timmins who hasn't played a full season due to injuries (like Chych but with a shorter sample size, still missing a lot of games) along with another late first and a third. How far apart is that from the value of the 12th overall?

I'm not arguing with you here lol, just figuring out your perspective.

Edit: To me the 12OA says quality and the others say quantity.
Timmins was worth arguably as much as the Avs 1st at the time.

A pick expected to be in the late 20s and a prospect worth a pick in the 20s-30s is roughly equivalent to a 12th overall pick, I think. Look at the cost to move up for Geekie, for example.

And I think Chychrun is worth MORE rather than the same amount. So for me that’s two assets worth roughly 25th overall and one asset worth roughly 55th overall. I’ve been saying that since around the time Marek dropped those insane Knight+Lundell rumors. I’ve allowed other rumors to sway my opinion but my current and original impulse was 25+25+55.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Timmins was worth arguably as much as the Avs 1st at the time.

A pick expected to be in the late 20s and a prospect worth a pick in the 20s-30s is roughly equivalent to a 12th overall pick, I think. Look at the cost to move up for Geekie, for example.

And I think Chychrun is worth MORE rather than the same amount. So for me that’s two assets worth roughly 25th overall and one asset worth roughly 55th overall. I’ve been saying that since around the time Marek dropped those insane Knight+Lundell rumors. I’ve allowed other rumors to sway my opinion but my current and original impulse was 25+25+55.
That seems fair. I appreciate the response. Gives me some more perspective from someone with more knowledge on trade values than myself, specifically regarding how much value last year's 12OA had.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
You and @rt are probably right. I'm not good at valuation and trade proposals, that's why I usually just watch. My main point is that I think we're going to regret not getting the Columbus deal. I'm expecting Chychrun to miss significant time due to injury like he always does and his value to drop more. If that were to happen, I was thinking that in hindsight we could end up regretting not getting the 12th OA, even if it were straight up.

If Chychrun gets injured again this season and misses significant time and/or doesn't dazzle, where do you guys think his value will end up?

I personally don't see an absolute can't miss "front-line" player that was still on the board at #12. By that I mean someone who's a legit top pairing Dman or first line forward. There are players that I like (and some may turn out to reach that high end) but most of the available players were F's projected to be top-6/middle-6 wingers (aka 2nd/3rd line) or Dman that project to be #3's or 4's.

If we're going to trade Chychrun for a single pick or prospect, it has to be used for someone who has that clear cut #1 or #2 Dman potential, or top line scoring winger or legit top 6 C (high end #2 at least).

You've got a good chance to get that type of player in the 2023 (or some prior years) at #12 overall, but not who was still on the board at #12 in the 2022 draft IMO.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Not concerned with winning too many games. I'd like to win Bedard or one of the other top guys but I'd prefer to do it with lottery luck and not by having the best odds.
No more playing with lottery luck. We’ve seen how that has turned out for us.

We need to be historically bad, and finally finish in last place in the league.

If we finish last and don’t win the lottery for Bedard, fine, I’ll live with that.

But I am not, and will not in good conscious, lose out on the next greatest Russian forward we’ve seen since Ovechkin, or the next best center prospect who is in the vein of Auston Matthews.

The future of our franchise depends upon landing one of those three players.

Reactions: PainForShane

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
No offense, but I think that's a tad melodramatic. The draft offers no guarantees, not even with generational players. Ask Edmonton about this.
It's more than a tad.

The future of the franchise depends on the arena, full stop. Without it, it becomes a new franchise in a different part of the world and I stop caring.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's more than a tad.

The future of the franchise depends on the arena, full stop. Without it, it becomes a new franchise in a different part of the world and I stop caring.
We all have been told that AM has a plan B, as in another location here in the valley.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
NYR just turned Lundquist into a ‘23 1st (top 10 protected) from a borderline playoff team.

Hope for a Chychrun haul just increased significantly.

Reactions: Jakey53 and hbk

rt

May 13, 2004
NYR just turned Lundquist into a ‘23 1st (top 10 protected) from a borderline playoff team.

Hope for a Chychrun haul just increased significantly.
Seems like an enormous overpayment. My first reaction is shock. I would say that's a very stupid trade by the Stars but their amateur scouts are looking hard to doubt right now. They've been absolutely crushing it at the draft table lately. So as much as I want to hate on that trade, I have to trust them to some extent.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Uh…… this may not go over well……

45936662-B441-4FC1-BC9F-81FB366FEF20.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: moosemeister

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Expect a 7-year extension to the CHL/NHL agreement. No changes, despite early discussions trending toward something different.

Reactions: Grimes

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Uh…… this may not go over well……

View attachment 586345
So I guess that means they're taking the burnt orange from the face/hands/feet of the kachina coyote as the base of their reverse retro this year. Interesting choice for sure, especially because I think that color will be very similar to Anaheim's orange. I was hoping for something in the saguaro green myself.

Reactions: Heldig

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
So I guess that means they're taking the burnt orange from the face/hands/feet of the kachina coyote as the base of their reverse retro this year. Interesting choice for sure, especially because I think that color will be very similar to Anaheim's orange. I was hoping for something in the saguaro green myself.

I don't think it's going to be Anaheim (or, god forbid, Edmonton) orange. I think it's probably going to be a more rusty color, more copperish than true orange. At least, I hope that's what they're going to do. I'll save the Chicken Little'ing until I see it. :D

Reactions: Coyotedroppings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2