Speculation: 2022 Coyotes Off Season Discussion Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Max trade value is attained by having control. Teams don't want to give up premium assets for next to no control. They'd do it for a 5-7 year deal on reasonable AAV for Crouse.
Considering this, why isn't there an active discussion with Crouse, Armstrong, and other teams to understand what he is willing to sign considering the destination? Personally I think it's immature to offer Crouse that kind of term. He only scored 20g once in his entire career and it was while receiving a considerable increase in ice time, his goals per 60 hasn't noticeably increased compared to previous seasons, I'm not sure I see the upward trajectory some broadcasted. He offers a physical presence which is a rare breed, but a top end team can't offer that ice time to someone who isn't producing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prarievarg

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Considering this, why isn't there an active discussion with Crouse, Armstrong, and other teams to understand what he is willing to sign considering the destination? Personally I think it's immature to offer Crouse that kind of term. He only scored 20g once in his entire career and it was while receiving a considerable increase in ice time, his goals per 60 hasn't noticeably increased compared to previous seasons, I'm not sure I see the upward trajectory some broadcasted. He offers a physical presence which is a rare breed, but a top end team can't offer that ice time to someone who isn't producing.
Everybody loves Lawson and for good reason…. Great kid and all, but yeah… gotta use the quan wisely, in case we ever have point producers to pay.

Reactions: PainForShane

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Lots of rumbles that the Islanders have a deal in place with Kadri and have also made corresponding moves (eg trade Bailey) to accommodate the Kadri signing. As usual Lou doesn’t release this info until late in the offseason.

Wonder if any of the corresponding moves involve us.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
Lots of rumbles that the Islanders have a deal in place with Kadri and have also made corresponding moves (eg trade Bailey) to accommodate the Kadri signing. As usual Lou doesn’t release this info until late in the offseason.

Wonder if any of the corresponding moves involve us.
I can’t imagine the Kadri signing not leaking by now if that’s true.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Is Connor Murphy available?
Would love to get him back!
I'd be surprised if Chicago is willing to let him go. They've just gone into a rebuild and will want to keep scores from getting out of hand, plus he's in year 1 of his new 4 year deal. I wouldn't mind bringing him back and stacking him next to Chychrun, I just don't see us paying the price it would likely cost given all the factors involved.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Starting to pick up on whispers of concern in Buffalo that Portillo could refuse to sign and test FA next summer. Makes sense. They have way too many high-end goalie prospects. Could be our next McBain/Smith style acquisition. AZ has the worst system-wide goalie depth in the league. Opposite of Buffalo. I’d happily fork over some draft picks for Portillo.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I wonder what's happening with our goaltending situation. The backup spot is presumably being left open with Gillies as a placeholder. Holtby is the only UFA goalie left out there on the market and he only played 20 games last year.

San Jose needs to shed a goalie with Kahkonen, Reimer and Hill. But there's not many (any?) teams left with an open goaltending spot and cap to absorb any of those 3 guys. Here's the teams that I could kind of see in on one of those guys:

Minnesota? (depends how they feel about Gustavsson and it would probably take all their cap space)
Vancouver? (depends how they feel about Martin and if they can trade JT Miller to open up space)
Philly? (they don't have cap space and they just signed a Russian, Fedotov, out of the KHL to back up Hart)
Edmonton (they don't have cap space and they'd have to waive Skinner)
Florida (they don't have cap space, Knight's been too good to send down and Bobrovski's contract is unmovable)

Any other teams potentially need a backup goalie and have cap space to do it?

It really seems like we're leaving a spot open to make a deal. Or maybe a three-way trade?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wonder what's happening with our goaltending situation. The backup spot is presumably being left open with Gillies as a placeholder. Holtby is the only UFA goalie left out there on the market and he only played 20 games last year.

San Jose needs to shed a goalie with Kahkonen, Reimer and Hill. But there's not many (any?) teams left with an open goaltending spot and cap to absorb any of those 3 guys. Here's the teams that I could kind of see in on one of those guys:

Minnesota? (depends how they feel about Gustavsson and it would probably take all their cap space)
Vancouver? (depends how they feel about Martin and if they can trade JT Miller to open up space)
Philly? (they don't have cap space and they just signed a Russian, Fedotov, out of the KHL to back up Hart)
Florida (they don't have cap space, Knight's been too good to send down and Bobrovski's contract is unmovable)

It really seems like we're leaving a spot open to make a deal. Or maybe a three-way trade?
Waiver claim at this point unless we get bribed to take someone.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I think it really depends on what the organization wants to do with Anson Thornton. I don't know if he's eligible yet to go to the AHL/ECHL or if he'll need to go back to juniors. If the latter, then I'm guessing we're still in the market for one more depth goalie before we hit camp. What level of depth goalie will depend on the team's proximity to the cap floor - if we need some breathing room, we go for Holtby or we leverage another team's goalie glut or cap crunch and do it that way. If not, we can easily grab a college-level goalie or someone similar for our third-stringer, or we can go waiver surfing closer to camp.

If Thornton can go to the minors, then it's not an issue.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think it really depends on what the organization wants to do with Anson Thornton. I don't know if he's eligible yet to go to the AHL/ECHL or if he'll need to go back to juniors. If the latter, then I'm guessing we're still in the market for one more depth goalie before we hit camp. What level of depth goalie will depend on the team's proximity to the cap floor - if we need some breathing room, we go for Holtby or we leverage another team's goalie glut or cap crunch and do it that way. If not, we can easily grab a college-level goalie or someone similar for our third-stringer, or we can go waiver surfing closer to camp.

If Thornton can go to the minors, then it's not an issue.
I definitely assumed Thornton was going back to Sarnia since he's only 19 and needs some OHL development time.

We were bad last year but on most nights the goalies were good enough that it wasn't soul-crushing. That's the level of goaltending we need again this year. I just noticed that San Jose has 3 goalies and they plan to move one, but there's not a lot of obvious options and wondered if we were one.

I think we need someone as a backup to fill the gap. I thought it was crazy and almost cruel to put Hutton on the opening night roster last year and I said something to that effect. We need a Wedgewood type option. Maybe that's Gillies. He's played similar number of NHL games as Wedgewood had when he got back here last year. Maybe he just needs the opportunity.

I also wasn't really clear on why we held onto Korenar's rights either. I can't really imagine where he fits anymore.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Waiver claim at this point unless we get bribed to take someone.

VGK is most likely going to try to move Brossoit. Will likely come down to who's willing to take him for the lowest cap-dump price, AZ, BUF or CHI. My guess is CHI since Kyle Davidson doesn't know what the F he's doing :laugh:

But yeah, waiver claims otherwise. Or just Gillies, who's great for the tank.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I also wasn't really clear on why we held onto Korenar's rights either. I can't really imagine where he fits anymore.

Yeah, I don't really get that either, unless they're hoping that something miraculous happens in his game in the next year or so before his rights expire. We did the same thing with Langhamer. I guess they figure that we're nowhere near our reserve list limit so 🤷‍♂️

But yeah, waiver claims otherwise. Or just Gillies, who's great for the tank.

Gillies is a tank champion, a real Abrams all his own. So I'm guessing that, like I said above, unless we're using the backup slot for some cap floor help, we can find a warm body pretty much anywhere to be our third-stringer on the farm and let Prosvetov and Tendeck convince us to keep them around after this season.

Reactions: jmelm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad