Speculation: 2022 Coyotes Off Season Discussion Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka handed out contract extensions like candy for players who hadn’t fully earned them yet. If you pay Crouse 5 per year you set the precedent that you’ll need to overpay the next players needing extensions. It’s not about what you can afford now.
Are you talking about Chych? Keller? DVO? Schmaltz? I don't think any were overpayments, and if they were not by much, and maybe a couple were underpayments. These kids are playing for the NHL at a younger age and want to get paid earlier.

If BA is stuck at $2.5M, I think I'd be offended if I were Crouse.
BA is getting better. At least Crouse received an offer, not like Garland.:laugh: If I was Crouse I would not only be offended, but slightly pissed off. Another home grown talent just coming into his own.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Not based on the contracts that have been signed recently. $3-$3.5M is likely where he should be given this is a 1 yr deal. AZ lowballed as much as Crouse’s camp hi-balled. Arbitrator will cut it down the middlish.
I thought arbitration (in the nhl at least) meant they picked one or the other?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I thought arbitration (in the nhl at least) meant they picked one or the other?
I don’t believe it’s final offer arbitration. I believe the arbitrator can pick one or the other or a number in between. Tremin who was awarded $1.7M w Nashville asked for over $2.4M and the team was offering $1.35. Arbitrator came in below half.

Reactions: PainForShane

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Chayka handed out contract extensions like candy for players who hadn’t fully earned them yet. If you pay Crouse 5 per year you set the precedent that you’ll need to overpay the next players needing extensions. It’s not about what you can afford now.

If Keller has a season like he just did, those contract extensions he gave out look fine. Haha

Reactions: Jakey53 and Heldig

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I don't understand why we wouldn't want to sign Crouse to a long-term deal. He had his best season yet under the first year with Tourigny. Let's bank on that continuing as we infuse more talent into the lineup.

5yr @ $4.75M is what I'd like to see.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't understand why we wouldn't want to sign Crouse to a long-term deal. He had his best season yet under the first year with Tourigny. Let's bank on that continuing as we infuse more talent into the lineup.

If he's going to be in our core, then yes we should lock him up long term. If Bill is going to use him as a trade chip then it makes sense to go shorter in order to minimize the AAV. There's a serious shortage of cap space around the league so keeping the AAV low opens up more trade partners.

Reactions: PainForShane

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Why did it have to come down to a one year deal? Is he not part of the core?

To see if his production boost was a one-off or if he can do it consistently.

Wooooooof. I like Crouser, but that contract isn't a good one. 3 x $3.5 is probably my sweet spot.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Better than fine. Chychrun and Dvorak were underpaid very quickly.
I don't think the case exists for Dvorak being underpaid. He's basically half a point a game for $4.5 million. Not hard to get a player to do that for less.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Lots of reasons a player goes to arbitration.

I wonder if the $ difference is one side (or both) are being cautious about signing long term. Maybe Crouse wants a 1 year to see where the team is going.

That said, a report on The Athletic suggests it almost guarantees the player will be traded :(

According to 10 years worth of results provided by the NHLPA, 27 players have gone to an arbitration hearing since 2009. Within three years, 21 of those players were on different teams. And often it doesn’t even take that long — 16 of the 27 were on new teams within two years and 14 of the 27 were on new teams within one year.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Except none of those extensions are overpay right now.

This is the new reality. The age when players are playing their best hockey is between 21 and 29. 15 years ago, it was probably 25-33. That is why fewer bridge deals are happening.. Quality players will get signed long term more often.

Keller, Schmaltz, and Chychrun all had seasons that were on par with the $ earned. In fact, Schmaltz contract is also the better value between his and Keller's, based on point production alone.

If you are not paying players a little earlier, you will fall far behind and create issues between front office and player/agent eventually.

I like the idea of 4 yrs/$15 M for Crouse.

Reactions: moosemeister

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Except none of those extensions are overpay right now.

This is the new reality. The age when players are playing their best hockey is between 21 and 29. 15 years ago, it was probably 25-33. That is why fewer bridge deals are happening.. Quality players will get signed long term more often.

Keller, Schmaltz, and Chychrun all had seasons that were on par with the $ earned. In fact, Schmaltz contract is also the better value between his and Keller's, based on point production alone.

If you are not paying players a little earlier, you will fall far behind and create issues between front office and player/agent eventually.

I like the idea of 4 yrs/$15 M for Crouse.
You left out OEL in Chyka's extension list. I don't think anyone would sign Schmaltz to that contract regardless of points.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Not based on the contracts that have been signed recently. $3-$3.5M is likely where he should be given this is a 1 yr deal. AZ lowballed as much as Crouse’s camp hi-balled. Arbitrator will cut it down the middlish.
If that's what is what is expected based on market rate then I'd prefer to see BA's offer at $3-3.5M and arbitration avoided. Unless it's Crouse's Agent that won't budge. Looks bad to me and I think it sours the relationship.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If that's what is what is expected based on market rate then I'd prefer to see BA's offer at $3-3.5M and arbitration avoided. Unless it's Crouse's Agent that won't budge. Looks bad to me.
Well then the arbitrator just cuts it down the middle and awards $3.75M. As an offer the $2.5 is as reasonable as the $4. There’s o blame here. This is negotiations. They will chat this weekend. Likely again early Monday and likely a deal.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I would like to see Crouse sign a multi-year deal. Hopefully they come to terms before the arbitration date.

What is his RFA status? if he gets one year deal is he an RFA again next year (1 more year to UFA)?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would like to see Crouse sign a multi-year deal. Hopefully they come to terms before the arbitration date.

What is his RFA status? if he gets one year deal is he an RFA again next year (1 more year to UFA)?
We will get to potentially do this all over again next year based on a 1 year deal. But he could also just take the yotes qualifying offer all the way to uFA status. Where that qualifying offer is depends on this contract which is likely why we have the standoff.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I understand BA has to come in low here but I'd be absolutely insulted if I'm Crouse. Not only does he have more offense to give, hardly anybody his size in the league can skate and fight (and PK) like he does. He's easily worth at least Goodrow's contract.

BA is notoriously cheap on a personal level so I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad