Speculation: 2022 Coyotes Off Season Discussion Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Oh, don't get me wrong - if we finish last, we'll still pick 2nd at best. But I'd rather pick 2OA than 5th or lower!
How's about we ask for it all..... win enough to give us a shot at 1OA, generate some enthusiasm, luck out and actually land 1OA? If any team in the NHL is due to find some never seen before luck it's gotta be the Yotes, might as well wish for the moon and sky, while we're wishing!

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
VGK is most likely going to try to move Brossoit. Will likely come down to who's willing to take him for the lowest cap-dump price, AZ, BUF or CHI. My guess is CHI since Kyle Davidson doesn't know what the F he's doing :laugh:

But yeah, waiver claims otherwise. Or just Gillies, who's great for the tank.
I don’t dislike Brossoit. I liked him in junior and I’ve got a soft spot, as a result.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don’t dislike Brossoit. I liked him in junior and I’ve got a soft spot, as a result.

Agreed, I think he’s a very good backup. He’s only in the market because VGK has screwed themselves with their cap and are lucky as hell to have Thompson playing as well as he is for a fraction of the price.

Getting paid to take on Brossoit who would be a prime candidate to flip and the deadline (if not sooner) for more assets would certainly be a win.

rt

May 13, 2004
Prying Portillo out of Buffalo would be huge.
This is my dream. Buffalo is probably the worst possible spot for a goalie prospect. Arizona is probably the best possible spot for a goalie prospect. Nathan Smith and Jack McBain each made the decision to sign with us and they did so because our depth is trash and they knew they'd be able to break-in sooner/easier. Portillo could easily make the same choice.

I'd trade the Nemeth picks for him, if Buffalo was interested in that kind of thing, and if Portillo was willing to sign with us.

rt

May 13, 2004
Agreed, I think he’s a very good backup. He’s only in the market because VGK has screwed themselves with their cap and are lucky as hell to have Thompson playing as well as he is for a fraction of the price.

Getting paid to take on Brossoit who would be a prime candidate to flip and the deadline (if not sooner) for more assets would certainly be a win.
Brossoit and Buffalo's '23 3rd for no return.

Buffalo's '23 3rd, Washington's '23 3rd, and Edmonton's '25 2nd for Portillo.

Basically it's Johan Larsson and Reid Schaefer for Erik Portillo, Maveric Lamoureax, EDM's '24 3rd, Zach Kassian, and Laurent Brossoit.

Haha.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
This is my dream. Buffalo is probably the worst possible spot for a goalie prospect. Arizona is probably the best possible spot for a goalie prospect. Nathan Smith and Jack McBain each made the decision to sign with us and they did so because our depth is trash and they knew they'd be able to break-in sooner/easier. Portillo could easily make the same choice.

I'd trade the Nemeth picks for him, if Buffalo was interested in that kind of thing, and if Portillo was willing to sign with us.

Brossoit and Buffalo's '23 3rd for no return.

Buffalo's '23 3rd, Washington's '23 3rd, and Edmonton's '25 2nd for Portillo.

First of all, I've never seen you this excited about a goalie prospect ever (except for maybe Knight), so that's a welcome change lol.

Second, I don't think it will cost nearly that much to acquire Portillo. He's a solid prospect, but he's not in that first group of Wallstedt/Askarov/Coss/Levi, and he's not really in that next tier of Kochetkov/Clang/Blomqvist/Dostal/Wolf. In other words, it's not clear if Portillo truly projects to be a high end starting goalie. He may become one, but he may also become a really solid backup or somewhere in between like the second guy in a 1B platoon option. So he would be a great addition for sure, but not sure he represents THE future in net.

Third, it won't cost NEARLY that much to trade for him if he won't sign. In part because he's a pending UFA, and in part because he's not in that tier of propsects. At most, it would cost one 3rd rounder, or if he has an absolute monster year, one 2nd rounder. Just like McBain who was essentially acquired for a pick that's similar to where he was drafted.

Fourth, he's VERY intent on completing his degree. That's his stated reason for not signing this summer. I'm not sure if he can get that done this year or if he needs to go back for his senior year. :dunno:

Lastly, It's really not clear what his personal desire or objectives are, but even if he's given one game (or a few games) to burn a year off his ELC at the end of this season (which BUF or a lot of teams could offer), he's going to need to spend at least one full year in the AHL next year. So I'm not sure if there's a particular destination/city he wants to be in, but if that's the case he'll just go to UFA and won't sign anywhere and doesn't care about burning a year off his ELC. Given his age (he was passed over in the 2018 draft so he's a year older than his 2019 draft), his ELC will be shorter anyway.

rt

May 13, 2004
First of all, I've never seen you this excited about a goalie prospect ever (except for maybe Knight), so that's a welcome change lol.

Second, I don't think it will cost nearly that much to acquire Portillo. He's a solid prospect, but he's not in that first group of Wallstedt/Askarov/Coss/Levi, and he's not really in that next tier of Kochetkov/Clang/Blomqvist/Dostal/Wolf. In other words, it's not clear if Portillo truly projects to be a high end starting goalie. He may become one, but he may also become a really solid backup or somewhere in between like the second guy in a 1B platoon option. So he would be a great addition for sure, but not sure he represents THE future in net.

Third, it won't cost NEARLY that much to trade for him if he won't sign. In part because he's a pending UFA, and in part because he's not in that tier of propsects. At most, it would cost one 3rd rounder, or if he has an absolute monster year, one 2nd rounder. Just like McBain who was essentially acquired for a pick that's similar to where he was drafted.

Fourth, he's VERY intent on completing his degree. That's his stated reason for not signing this summer. I'm not sure if he can get that done this year or if he needs to go back for his senior year. :dunno:

Lastly, It's really not clear what his personal desire or objectives are, but even if he's given one game (or a few games) to burn a year off his ELC at the end of this season (which BUF or a lot of teams could offer), he's going to need to spend at least one full year in the AHL next year. So I'm not sure if there's a particular destination/city he wants to be in, but if that's the case he'll just go to UFA and won't sign anywhere and doesn't care about burning a year off his ELC. Given his age (he was passed over in the 2018 draft so he's a year older than his 2019 draft), his ELC will be shorter anyway.
It’s mostly that I think BA is hellbent on getting a goalie of the future and this may be a unique opportunity to get one without having to burn a high end asset.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sign and trade scenario: Crouse, 3yrs, 14.01mil, 4.67aav

To CGY:
Crouse @ 2.335aav (50%)

To ARI:
Dube (2.3aav)
Wolf
2023 CGY 2nd

Sutter doesn’t trust Dube. He had 1pt in 12gp in the playoffs. Toffoli took his job. With Gaudreau leaving, maybe Dube gets a shot. But they might as well give Milano or Kessel a 1yr 1mil deal instead. I’d be willing to take Monahan or Lucic instead. I think they’d rather keep Lucic honestly. And both players have limited NTCs.

Markstrom is signed for four more years. Wolf is a long-term piece. Treliving is out of long-term mode. He got painted into a corner of very short-term thinking.

I’m all about this despite not liking goalies. Why? No, not just because Wolf is an elite goaltending prospect. No, not just because he’s NHL ready. No, not just because he’s a California kid. It’s because his name is Wolf. And our team is called the Coyotes. And I personally find that very funny. Which is why I made this proposal.

rt

May 13, 2004
Since @Mosby had to trample my dreams, how about another idea?

Chychrun (50%) for Hornqvist, Knight, Samoskevich, and ‘23 2nd

Crouse (3yrs, 14.01mil, 4.67aav) retained at 50% (2.335aav) for Holl, and Knies

Florida goes all in. Like literally ALL in. They have NOTHING left. Haha. We get a taller goalie with a less funny name (gee thanks @Mosby )

But what about Toronto?!? Why?!?! I’ll tell ya why; Michael Bunting. That’s why. He’s UFA after this season and they can’t keep him. He’s going to want 3x the CapHit I’ve got going to TO for Crouse. This allows Toronto to treat Bunting as their own rental.

Dubas has to get tor the ECF or he’s losing his job. Knies can’t help with that. Crouse sure can. He’s the bigger, better, younger Bunting.

Bunting-AM34-Nylander
Crouse-Tavares-Marner

^ deadliest in the NHL? Probably. That’s 2x60pts, 2x80pts, and 2x100pts.

We get Josh Doan’s BFF, local kid, WJC linemate of Cooley and Golden Gophers linemate of Cooley. And all around blue-chip stud power winger prospect.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm not normally into acquiring LWs but if we use a LW to get a LW then I'm all in. Would be very cool icing a line of Knies - Cooley - Doan in the future. Would be great for building the Tempe fan base, some of whom went to junior high with Knies and Doan.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
From my understanding the camp was a try out for both the summer and winter WJC games. Does Doan not making the roster mean he also won't be present in 2023?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
$4m/year is an "intangibles" salary. $2.5m/year is a numbers salary. It may be that the only amount that does Crouse justice is the arbitrator's compromise.

IrishFin

Jun 9, 2016
Who cares if it’s high? We are artificially just over the cap floor and won’t be a cap ceiling team until any deal we give the guy is near finished.
Chayka handed out contract extensions like candy for players who hadn’t fully earned them yet. If you pay Crouse 5 per year you set the precedent that you’ll need to overpay the next players needing extensions. It’s not about what you can afford now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia