Prospect Info: [2022 - 92nd] Adam Engstrom (SHL - Rogle BK)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Lack of viewing shouldn't happen in this day and age. Not picking a guy 'cause you don't see him much? In a league that had Ostlund, Lekkerimaki, Bystedt, Forsmark and then some?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lack of viewing shouldn't happen in this day and age. Not picking a guy 'cause you don't see him much? In a league that had Ostlund, Lekkerimaki, Bystedt, Forsmark and then some?
He played behind Odelius every step of the way in his season. I have no notes on him at all, so we can assume he was maybe a late bloomer.

Reactions: DailyKaizen

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
He played behind Odelius every step of the way in his season. I have no notes on him at all, so we can assume he was maybe a late bloomer.

By the way, I'm not bashing anybody here. As fans, there's just no way we can know everybody. I had no idea who that guy was and I like following prospects. I'm talking about pros. Employed by teams. And hearing how a lack of viewing might be the case for him falling is just a proof that while scouting is indeed, sometimes, a roll of the dice, it also means that some teams are still not serious about it for various reasons.

The guy wasn't playing in Africa. Plenty of guys are picked from J20 Nationell. He was playing on a team that had Odelius, Ohgren, Lekkerimaki and Ostlund. Not the same league. The same team. And statswise, finished with 2 points less in the reg. season and had 5 more points in the playoffs. And out of every D in this team, he played the most games. +28 for Engstrom, +3 for Odelius. Something just doesn't add up. Maybe Odelius was playing more...but Engstrom surely wasn't on a bottom 2 either.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
By the way, I'm not bashing anybody here. As fans, there's just no way we can know everybody. I had no idea who that guy was and I like following prospects. I'm talking about pros. Employed by teams. And hearing how a lack of viewing might be the case for him falling is just a proof that while scouting is indeed, sometimes, a roll of the dice, it also means that some teams are still not serious about it for various reasons.

The guy wasn't playing in Africa. Plenty of guys are picked from J20 Nationell. He was playing on a team that had Odelius, Ohgren, Lekkerimaki and Ostlund. Not the same league. The same team. And statswise, finished with 2 points less in the reg. season and had 5 more points in the playoffs. And out of every D in this team, he played the most games. +28 for Engstrom, +3 for Odelius. Something just doesn't add up. Maybe Odelius was playing more...but Engstrom surely wasn't on a bottom 2 either.

Odelius played on Sweden teams in tournaments where Engstrom didn't. So more scouts/management likely saw Odelius than Engstrom which allowed him to be ranked higher on their boards. Plus you might be more likely to rank someone higher you saw play in this situations against better competition vs. Engstrom who didn't have the same exposure/opportunity to play against other nations best players.

Reactions: Whitesnake

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Odelius played on Sweden teams in tournaments where Engstrom didn't. So more scouts/management likely saw Odelius than Engstrom which allowed him to be ranked higher on their boards. Plus you might be more likely to rank someone higher you saw play in this situations against better competition vs. Engstrom who didn't have the same exposure/opportunity to play against other nations best players.
We also aren't aware whether he may or not have attended the Habs Euro combine this year

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I mean he did go in the 3rd round with other very talented players, so its not like he was unkown by the habs staff at least. Id say its more so the scouting services that have failed and may show their lack of actual competence.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I mean he did go in the 3rd round with other very talented players, so its not like he was unkown by the habs staff at least. Id say its more so the scouting services that have failed and may show their lack of actual competence.
Yeah, you may be right. There are other guys more touted that were picked later like McConnell-Barker, or even D like George and Forsmark or Lindgren.... And like @WeThreeKings said the lack of international exposure is also a good reason.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Seems to be producing better than Norlinder at same level.

If you compare their age 18 seasons,

Norlinder - J20 - 30-5-16-21 +14 43 pims (.7 ppg)
Allsvenskan (AHL) - 14-2-4-6 +9 4 pims (.43 ppg)

Engstrom - J20 - 45-8-20-28 +28 20 pims (.62 ppg)
SHL - 1-0-0-0 E

Now Norlinder was 18 all season long (turned 19 at the end of the season) and Engstrom was 17 for the first 2 months of the season.

At 19 Norlinder was named top prospect in the Allsvenskan despite missing a chunk of the season to injury but his ppg dropped down to a .53. Engstrom looks like he will get SHL games.

Norlinder at 20 was in the top 3 of one of the top teams in the SHL until his injuries. So for him it's tougher to really say when you have a guy that is clearly one of your best players offensively but injuries keep getting in the way. But he clearly was on track a few months into his age 20 season as he was looking the part for sure in the SHL but the guy just can't stay healthy.

So can Engstrom be a top 3 D on Rogle by the following season? Will be very interesting to watch as I know many aren't on the Norlinder train but I love the pick and finally have hope that we may have a actual good scout in Sweden to replace Rockstrom. Norlinder and Engstrom plus Heineman is already looking way better then the Westin, Nygren, Nystrom, DLR, Vejdemo, Henrikson, Ikonen and Olofsson picks did under Rockstrom.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Yeah, you may be right. There are other guys more touted that were picked later like McConnell-Barker, or even D like George and Forsmark or Lindgren.... And like @WeThreeKings said the lack of international exposure is also a good reason.
That draft was deep through 3 rounds, so Im not surprised they could find a high potential player like Engstrom with less exposure than some others. What stands out to me while watching him so far is the mobility and puck skills, kid can really moves the puck, has good size seems to use it well.

Reactions: bopeep

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm honestly liking our 20233 draft more and more. I like all the players we drafted in the first 3 rounds. Could Engstrom ends the Curse of the Peter Popovic? At one point we are bound to draft a good swedish guy again ...

Reactions: Goldenhands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad