Prospect Info: [2022 - 92nd] Adam Engstrom (SHL - Rogle BK)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well said but I think Mailloux starts the season in Montreal. A full off season of hard training convinces me he will be an NHLer next season.
So he's been sharp defensively recently? His reads, positioning, gap, collecting, passing in his own zone, marking men in the defensive system, etc..?

He was one of the last cuts already last year at camp. So it will be interesting to see him at this year's camp.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So he's been sharp defensively recently? His reads, positioning, gap, collecting, passing in his own zone, etc..?

Mailloux has progressed on both ends. His defensive game has taken a step in the right direction. Offensively, he's on pace to have the best season for a defenseman in the Habs' AHL farm team since PK Subban. Subban had 53 pts in 77 GP. Mailloux is currently on pace for 48 pts in 72 GP.

Well said but I think Mailloux starts the season in Montreal. A full off season of hard training convinces me he will be an NHLer next season.

I think he will challenge for a roster spot. It will remain to be seen with Hutson and Reinbacher also. I think of all the prospects, these three are who I think will challenge for a roster spot in Montreal. And I can't write off Engstrom either. Maybe his two seasons in the SHL end up being a benefit to him already having pro experience playing against men on a top league.

Whether any of them make the cut or are sent to Laval to start the season will remain to be seen. But I think even if either of them start in the AHL, they won't be there for the whole year.

Reactions: Tyson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Mailloux has progressed on both ends. His defensive game has taken a step in the right direction. Offensively, he's on pace to have the best season for a defenseman in the Habs' AHL farm team since PK Subban. Subban had 53 pts in 77 GP. Mailloux is currently on pace for 48 pts in 72 GP.
Yes, it's the defensive development that I wonder if he'd be better served in Laval next year or in Montreal. So interesting to hear the perspective of those that follow him in Laval.

It's going to be really interesting to see what Hughes does with all these dmen once Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson, and/or Engstrom start being ready. We've seen with Primeau and Allen, he'll hang on to assets of a certain value to get the right trade. With an asset like Lindstrom, he was ok to lose him on waivers.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yes, it's the defensive development that I wonder if he'd be better served in Laval next year or in Montreal. So interesting to hear the perspective of those that follow him in Laval.

When he was paired with Xhekaj, Mailloux's game improved all around. And the intriguing part was to see if Mailloux would continue to progress when Xhekaj was called up or if he'd go back to being good offensively, but not as strong defensively. The good thing is his defensive game didn't suddenly regress, but continued to improve.

It's going to be really interesting to see what Hughes does with all these dmen once Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson, and/or Engstrom start being ready. We've seen with Primeau and Allen, he'll hang on to assets of a certain value to get the right trade. With an asset like Lindstrom, he was ok to lose him on waivers.

The off-season is a better time to make the kinds of moves Hughes might need to make to create room for some of the young guys. The pool of trading partners is bigger as opposed to the TDL.

And as Hughes has also showed, he's able to off-load guys who still have a year left on their deals like he did Edmundson, Hoffman, and Pitlick this past off-season. And with a number of players entering the final year next season, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that he moves one or two in the summer.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I see Mailloux as more of a mid season option but I honestly don't know as there potentially could be significant change/movement over the off season. I do believe that a playoff spot will be the goal and I suspect that they would like to see Mailloux take another step forward in his defensive game before bringing him up.

I think the most likely scenario is he is brought up once or twice to get a feel for what he needs to work on before being called up later in the season on a more permanent basis. The real conundrum imo is that they will want to make the playoffs but also will really want to see both of Reinbacher and Mailloux on the team by year's end and I am less than certain that these two goals are compatible. This feels closer to a mutually exclusive dilemma but there is too much that can happen between now and then to really dig in on an opinion.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
So he's been sharp defensively recently? His reads, positioning, gap, collecting, passing in his own zone, marking men in the defensive system, etc..?

He was one of the last cuts already last year at camp. So it will be interesting to see him at this year's camp.

He is definitely showing improvement but I am uncertain as to how well his defensive game will translate to the NHL at this point in time. I suspect he would really struggle with his decision making under duress but until we see him in the NHL that is just my hypothesis.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Am I wrong in assessing that with so many young D that some will be moved....I think Barron, Harris may be the ones who don't make the cut.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's true. Like @WeThreeKings mentioned, they will need to move guys in the off-season. And I'd be really surprised if they don't move anyone.

Norlinder is an RFA with arb rights. Remains to be seen if they qualify him and/or re-sign him or let him walk. They may eventually qualify him even if he goes back to Europe. It would be a loan.

In Laval, I personally don't think they need to bring any vet in on an NHL deal a la Schueneman and Keeper. I'm good bringing back Bisson and Galipeau on AHL deals. They could be the vets that support guys like Reinbacher, Mailloux, Engstrom, and Hutson or any combination of who will be in Laval among them. Trudeau is still a prospect but he will be in his third year pro.
Even a guy like Trudeau needs to play though, if we think he has a future. I dont agree at all with overloading prospects in a team, its just a bad development strategy.

At least three of these guys need PP time to develop, and Id add Engstrom too. At least 3 of those guys need offensive deployment... Unless one of the three DR/LH/LM make the NHL roster, id send Engstrom back no problem. Let him simmer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When he was paired with Xhekaj, Mailloux's game improved all around. And the intriguing part was to see if Mailloux would continue to progress when Xhekaj was called up or if he'd go back to being good offensively, but not as strong defensively. The good thing is his defensive game didn't suddenly regress, but continued to improve.

The off-season is a better time to make the kinds of moves Hughes might need to make to create room for some of the young guys. The pool of trading partners is bigger as opposed to the TDL.

And as Hughes has also showed, he's able to off-load guys who still have a year left on their deals like he did Edmundson, Hoffman, and Pitlick this past off-season. And with a number of players entering the final year next season, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that he moves one or two in the summer.
Wasn't Mailloux also good with Struble?

I thought Struble was more reliable than Xhekaj until recently. Previously I thought Struble might be a better partner for Mailloux in the NHL. But Xhekaj is improving all around. One thing Xhekaj still needs to work on is his reads at pinching in in the neutral zone and the top of the blue line. But I think he'll figure that out.

Since this is an Engstrom thread, it will be interesting to see how Engstrom's defensive and offensive games do in North America, first in the AHL, and then the NHL. And then how long it will take him to be NHL ready...

Reactions: Runner77

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I also believe Mailloux will start in the NHL next season. He has taken the kind of steps forward this season that should make the team want to have him continue his development in the NHL, unless he flounders by the end of the season.

I could see these linesups NHL/AHL next year:

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Struble
Xhekaj - Mailloux (recreating the AHL duo)
Barron/Harris/Kovacevic (who knows what happens to those guys during the off season)

Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Bisson
AHL vet - Trudeau

Of course, there will be lots of change in the AHL lineup and we may never see this lineup at any given point of the season.

Add to that Hughes hinted to a preference for Reinbacher to develop on the NHL team next year, that throws a lot of things out of whack in this projection.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Even a guy like Trudeau needs to play though, if we think he has a future. I dont agree at all with overloading prospects in a team, its just a bad development strategy.

At least three of these guys need PP time to develop, and Id add Engstrom too. At least 3 of those guys need offensive deployment... Unless one of the three DR/LH/LM make the NHL roster, id send Engstrom back no problem. Let him simmer.
Definitely see the wisdom in keeping Engstrom over there.

It seems like Engstrom coming over is a forgone conclusion which tells me that Hughes is probably moving a D or 2.

As much as I agree with you about giving ample opportunities to the legit D prospects in Laval, I think you have to allow for the dynamism of call ups, injuries, mid season trades, etc. I think any overcrowding can be dealt with easily enough.

Starting next year, Hughes is going to likely start making quite a few tough decisions on who to keep.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is it a given that he comes over? Wouldnt be against having him play another year in Sweden. Theres no rush.

Gorton said the plan was to bring him over, he's not under contract in Sweden so the Habs can play him in Laval since he's a non 1st rounder but isn't under contract with his SHL club.

I would have him go back for another year as Laval is going to be so crowded on the blueline and so young again.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Rogle released the schedule of their 1st round match up against 1st place Farjestad.

Game 1 is on March 21st
Game 2 is on March 23rd
Game 3 is on March 25th
Game 4 is on March 27th

If necessary
Game 5 is on March 29th
Game 6 is on March 31st
Game 7 is on April 2nd

So in the best case scenario, they will be swept and Engstrom becomes available on the 28th.

1710852035843.png

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't seen either game this series but that's insane that a team that needed to make the play ins in the final day of the season and now are up 2-0 on a team that finished with 34 more points, the best GF, Goal Dif and most points in the league.

Reactions: jaffy27

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Rogle's run is impressive. I wish it was easier to watch them (at a time that made sense for me). I would like to see Engstrom play these games.

Rogle beat Timra in 8ths in 2 straight games. Got the privilege to play against #1 rated team Farjestad; swept them in 4 straight.

Ok then, you have to play #2 rated Vaxjo who just beat their opponents in 4 straight. Rogle is now leading 3-0. We will soon know if they complete the sweep or at least manage to win that elusive 4th game. If they do though, and manage to win the whole thing in the end, they will have gone through all the powerhouses in the league. It would be a very well deserved championship.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Rogle's run is impressive. I wish it was easier to watch them (at a time that made sense for me). I would like to see Engstrom play these games.

Rogle beat Timra in 8ths in 2 straight games. Got the privilege to play against #1 rated team Farjestad; swept them in 4 straight.

Ok then, you have to play #2 rated Vaxjo who just beat their opponents in 4 straight. Rogle is now leading 3-0. We will soon know if they complete the sweep or at least manage to win that elusive 4th game. If they do though, and manage to win the whole thing in the end, they will have gone through all the powerhouses in the league. It would be a very well deserved championship.

It's flat out insane, they are 9-0 and have won 4 games in OT including 3 in a row, they only won 17 games all season.

Agree on the streams though, being on the east coast it's been very difficult to get quality streams but I have been able to catch a little of him here and there as well as Eriksson and Kapanen but not enough to put in a vid since the games are also on while i'm working so it's tough to get to sit down for a full game while trying to manage investments.

I don't know what his upside is but every time I watch him I am impressed and he's one of the prospects I'm most looking forward to seeing in Laval next year although with the log jam they have I wouldn't have minded if they waited another year just to see him work on the offense some more.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
It's flat out insane, they are 9-0 and have won 4 games in OT including 3 in a row, they only won 17 games all season.

Agree on the streams though, being on the east coast it's been very difficult to get quality streams but I have been able to catch a little of him here and there as well as Eriksson and Kapanen but not enough to put in a vid since the games are also on while i'm working so it's tough to get to sit down for a full game while trying to manage investments.

I don't know what his upside is but every time I watch him I am impressed and he's one of the prospects I'm most looking forward to seeing in Laval next year although with the log jam they have I wouldn't have minded if they waited another year just to see him work on the offense some more.

Any theories on what clicked with Rogle all of a sudden? Has Bichsel been that important of a late season add?

Reactions: DAChampion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Any theories on what clicked with Rogle all of a sudden? Has Bichsel been that important of a late season add?

I haven't seen anything and haven't been able to follow the league much this year, they have been a top program for at least a few years now so when the Abbott brothers got fired I was shocked as I heard a ton of good things about them but the team just struggled to win this year so I don't know what happened as I only got to see a couple games here and there all season.

Reactions: jrom

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He is definitely showing improvement but I am uncertain as to how well his defensive game will translate to the NHL at this point in time. I suspect he would really struggle with his decision making under duress but until we see him in the NHL that is just my hypothesis.
I actually think the opposite. Most heavily skilled guys can figure out the defensive game enough to be passable and still be a net positive. Mallioux is supremely talented player, albeit a bit flawed, but he can and will overcome those flaws imo,

Am I wrong in assessing that with so many young D that some will be moved....I think Barron, Harris may be the ones who don't make the cut.
Harris is one of our better dmen imo. Be terribly stupid to trade him. He’s more valuable to us than a trade,

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I actually think the opposite. Most heavily skilled guys can figure out the defensive game enough to be passable and still be a net positive. Mallioux is supremely talented player, albeit a bit flawed, but he can and will overcome those flaws imo,

Harris is one of our better dmen imo. Be terribly stupid to trade him. He’s more valuable to us than a trade,
I am starting to see that he is actually pretty good.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I wouldn't say he's supremely talented. Makar and Hughes are supremely talented. Mailloux has skills and they stand out more as he has size as well. The defensive game at an NHL level is very hard to learn for defensemen. It's a make or break skill, actually, and plenty of offensive defensemen fizzle out due to their inability to figure it out. It's easier for skilled forwards to eventually learn that part of the game. It's essential for defensemen, especially as Mailloux isn't a Karlsson or Burns level offensive defenseman.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I wouldn't say he's supremely talented. Makar and Hughes are supremely talented. Mailloux has skills and they stand out more as he has size as well. The defensive game at an NHL level is very hard to learn for defensemen. It's a make or break skill, actually, and plenty of offensive defensemen fizzle out due to their inability to figure it out. It's easier for skilled forwards to eventually learn that part of the game. It's essential for defensemen, especially as Mailloux isn't a Karlsson or Burns level offensive defenseman.
He will be a top 4 dman

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I am so high on Engstrom....Not trying to get my hope up too much but this kid can play

it's just a question of how good can he be, as I thought we would see more offense from him this year but I also haven't gotten to see too much of him. I think some don't expect much because of the Norlinder hype but they clearly are very different players as his defensive game is miles ahead and Norlinder's offensive game never translated on the smaller ice.

I thought he was more impressive then Reinbacher at last summers develop camp, the skating, mobility, two way play are impressive for sure. He kind of reminds me in a way of Beck in that every time I watch both play I just am so impressed with all the little things they do right consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad