Prospect Info: [2022 - 26th] Filip Mesar (OHL - Kitchener Rangers)

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
72b9160b-c2ac-4864-ac00-fd7e573be43a_text.gif
Speed has everything to do with it.

• Love
Reactions: overlords

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
What's going on with Mesar. Just like last year, his production fell off a cliff after a good WJC... Lack of conditioning?
Some guys want to be the best they can be and chase it, others just drift through their work. Happens in the job world as well as the sports world.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
The AHL will be a great place to watch him properly and assess his compete level. With the OHL, it's a lot more clip watching that Habs fans are generous enough to share like @montreal (although his vids are awesome and detailed). That said, if I'm GM, next season is his last chance before I package him at the TDL for some value back.

Producing at the pace of a late 2nd/ early 3rd round pick while in your D+2 as a supposed offensive forward is the reddest of flags.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
The AHL will be a great place to watch him properly and assess his compete level. With the OHL, it's a lot more clip watching that Habs fans are generous enough to share like @montreal (although his vids are awesome and detailed). That said, if I'm GM, next season is his last chance before I package him at the TDL for some value back.

Producing at the pace of a late 2nd/ early 3rd round pick while in your D+2 as a supposed offensive forward is the reddest of flags.
His production is actually elite when you take into account numerous factors

• Love
Reactions: Heffyhoof

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Yes he hasn't progressed like we all thought he would.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

Francesco Pinelli was the Rangers no1 guy last year, he scored 90 points.
What is he doing now?
15 pts in 55 games in the AHL.

I wouldn't worry one bit.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Francesco Pinelli was the Rangers no1 guy last year, he scored 90 points.
What is he doing now?
15 pts in 55 games in the AHL.

I wouldn't worry one bit.
The fact a player who played notably better hockey last year than either Mesar's D+1 or 2, is now posting meh numbers in the AHL does not soothe my worries, rather it exacerbates them.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yes he hasn't progressed like we all thought he would.
I don't know... He didn't seem like a guy that would blossom quickly. Last year was a bit underwhelming, but his team was a gong show & his transition to NA had its bumps.

This year he looked every bit the explosive talent until the mid season injury. Seems to be regaining some momentum.

If he hits, it'll be a D4-D6 NHL arrival, not unlike Plekanec (whom some compared him to). Pleky didn't really hit his stride as a top 6 NHLer until D6, & went on to play 1000 games.

Patience will be key, both for him & for the team. Many fans around here will be calling him a complete bust if he's not tearing up the AHL next year, but reality is the kid has a few years to go before we'll know if he can translate his considerable talent to NHL regular

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
The fact a player who played notably better hockey last year than either Mesar's D+1 or 2, is now posting meh numbers in the AHL does not soothe my worries, rather it exacerbates them.

What i wanted to point out was the two opposite styles and that one worked well in the OHL but did not translate into the pros and the other (Mesar's) works everywhere.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
What i wanted to point out was the two opposite styles and that one worked well in the OHL but did not translate into the pros and the other (Mesar's) works everywhere.
Next year's Laval team will be fascinating to watch with all the incoming bodies and hopefully Mesar gets a proper chance to show what he's got.

Reactions: HankyZetts

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Next year's Laval team will be fascinating to watch with all the incoming bodies and hopefully Mesar gets a proper chance to show what he's got.
It's going to be a cluster even worst than this season with even more rookies and the rest of the team only have 1 year of experience. And probably a coaching change on top.

Dobes will have to be very, very good in net...

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I don't know... He didn't seem like a guy that would blossom quickly. Last year was a bit underwhelming, but his team was a gong show & his transition to NA had its bumps.

This year he looked every bit the explosive talent until the mid season injury. Seems to be regaining some momentum.

If he hits, it'll be a D4-D6 NHL arrival, not unlike Plekanec (whom some compared him to). Pleky didn't really hit his stride as a top 6 NHLer until D6, & went on to play 1000 games.

Patience will be key, both for him & for the team. Many fans around here will be calling him a complete bust if he's not tearing up the AHL next year, but reality is the kid has a few years to go before we'll know if he can translate his considerable talent to NHL regular
It just, when you make a rapid calcul : 5ft9 + D2 + 52 pts in 43 games in OHL = odds are pretty low to become something valuable in the NHL. I don’t say it improbable, but odds are really low.
As exemple, Nic Robertson were producing 86 pts in 46 games at 18 years old. Mesar is 20. And I don’t consider Robertson as valuable piece that much

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
It's going to be a cluster even worst than this season with even more rookies and the rest of the team only have 1 year of experience. And probably a coaching change on top.

With the influx of prospects, come August, people will be posting on here about how refreshing it will be to watch a dominant Laval team, only to get another stinker season

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With the influx of prospects, come August, people will be posting on here about how refreshing it will be to watch a dominant Laval team, only to get another stinker season

I've enjoyed watching Mailloux, Roy, Struble, Dobes, and Simoneau this year.

Next year I look forward to Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom, Mailloux, Trudeau (I think he'll bounce back), Mesar, Beck, Dobes, Simoneau, Heineman, and Farrell. Win or lose there will be a lot to watch.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

Why cant the Laval Rocket be the youngest (and best) development system in the AHL? They should become an all out group of u23..

Kinda like what the USNDPT U18 does with the USHL.. far more entertaining imo.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Nonsense.

NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters): 15th
Elite Prospects: 17th
FC Hockey: 13th
TSN/Bob McKenzie: 22nd
McKeen’s Hockey: 12th
Sportsnet: 17th
Dobber Prospects: 12th
Smaht Scouting: 9th
The Hockey Writers (Zator): 22nd
The Hockey Writers (Baracchini): 24th
The Hockey Writers (Forbes): 18th

Drafted 26OA, he was picked a bit late if anything.
Also gives pause as to why no one drafted him in this slots. He almost dropped half a round. That’s significant.

Reactions: Garry Valk

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
He was slated to go last 1st , he went late first. Late first often bust or take time to make the NHL.

There nothing extraordinary about Mesar except the fact he was drafted by a team with an enormous fanbase.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
It just, when you make a rapid calcul : 5ft9 + D2 + 52 pts in 43 games in OHL = odds are pretty low to become something valuable in the NHL. I don’t say it improbable, but odds are really low.
As exemple, Nic Robertson were producing 86 pts in 46 games at 18 years old. Mesar is 20. And I don’t consider Robertson as valuable piece that much
Do you guys forget that mesar played in the WJCs only a few months ago and was one of the most dominant players in the entire tournament?
This kid is going to be a stud! I don't care about his numbers this year, I care about his game developing for the pros

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Do you guys forget that mesar played in the WJCs only a few months ago and was one of the most dominant players in the entire tournament?
This kid is going to be a stud! I don't care about his numbers this year, I care about his game developing for the pros
Good take, how does his game look this year? I haven't watched him play all year just stat watching

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00