Prospect Info: [2022 - 26th] Filip Mesar (OHL - Kitchener Rangers)

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
What's going on with Mesar. Just like last year, his production fell off a cliff after a good WJC... Lack of conditioning?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It was always a very bad pick.
I didn't like the pick either, but Mesar was always an extremely good skater and was able to score from the perimeter in a professional league at 18. There were some things to like and hope for him to get better in other areas, that didn't happen yet and I don't think it will either because it doesn't seem like he gets or is willing to improve the areas of his game he needs to work on (strength, going in traffic, etc)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It was always a very bad pick.
Nonsense.

NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters): 15th
Elite Prospects: 17th
FC Hockey: 13th
TSN/Bob McKenzie: 22nd
McKeen’s Hockey: 12th
Sportsnet: 17th
Dobber Prospects: 12th
Smaht Scouting: 9th
The Hockey Writers (Zator): 22nd
The Hockey Writers (Baracchini): 24th
The Hockey Writers (Forbes): 18th

Drafted 26OA, he was picked a bit late if anything.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Mesar stikes me as a guy who hasn't understood yet all the sacrifices and seriousness you need to be performing at a high level every night. Because he has the tools and the tool box.

Reactions: mdk and jfhabs

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Mesar stikes me as a guy who hasn't understood yet all the sacrifices and seriousness you need to be performing at a high level every night. Because he has the tools and the tool box.
Same for me.

There a nice attributes, but he doesn't seem to be putting in the work since it works in Junior.

I didn't like the pick because we already had Caufield and to a lesser Farrell/Kidney. Mesar to me was a top6 or bust type of guy and Stanley Cup winners rarely have more than 1 small (sub 5'10") forwards in their top 6.

Reactions: mdk

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hope the organization gives him a lot of room in the AHL next year. Just give him a top six spot in the AHL.

I'm giving Mesar, Farrell, Kidney, Davidson, and Simoneau two to three years in the AHL before I judge them. I don't expect any of them to he a part of the future. So if even one of them is top 6 or a really good 3rd liner I'll be happy.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I'm giving Mesar, Farrell, Kidney, Davidson, and Simoneau two to three years in the AHL before I judge them. I don't expect any of them to he a part of the future. So if even one of them is top 6 or a really good 3rd liner I'll be happy.
Still absolutely astonishing Habs would take a pint sized winger with their late 1st. Of all the moves hugo have made (overwhelmingly correct) i just never understood this selection.

Reactions: jrom and mdk

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Kidney is the kind of guy wich I could see breakout next year in the AHL. He just had a really good career in the Q…. We Will see but, I have more hope in him than Mesar in comparison

Reactions: 26Mats

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Still absolutely astonishing Habs would take a pint sized winger with their late 1st. Of all the moves hugo have made (overwhelmingly correct) i just never understood this selection.
At 5ft 9. He needs to have Jordan Dumais pedigree or Gavin Brindley, Bradley Nadeau… he needs to shows something. the only fact that he played into slovak leagues means nothing to me. I found Odds were very low in Mesar case

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Simmoneau could easily take over for Gallagher. Like, tonight.

• Love
Reactions: jrom and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I still want us to go on talent.

I'd take another Caufield, Debrincat, Bratt, Michkov or Stankoven, if we could have found one at 26.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I mean, the stats speak for themselves.

Pre WJC

20 GP- 13 Goals 19 Assists 32 Points +9

Post WJC

20 GP- 5 Goals 12 Assists 17 Points -2
His team also went thru a slump and as a whole weren't nearly as effective mid zdec thru mid afeb. Cause or effect?????? No idea, didn't see their games outside ovmf vs. London

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I still want us to go on talent.

I'd take another Caufield, Debrincat, Bratt, Michkov or Stankoven, if we could have found one at 26.
Talent is nice for reg season, but let's be realistic here; the NHL is loaded with big fast talented players on the 4th line(s).. gone are the days each line had a title: energy line, checker line, etc.... while the strategies remain true, successful teams are built with size, size and more size.
Every player on every nhl roster has talent, as the margins btw 2nd-4th line has considerably closed. So that goes without saying..
For me I want:
hulking D: check
Solid G platoon: check
Power top 6: 3/6 half way there
Power bottom 6: 3/6 half way there

We need 3 top 6, and 3 bottom 6 Fs to make our run at the cup.. in 2-3 years, so long as we stay away from the pint sized candy, we are on target to serioysly contend.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Power bottom 6: 3/6 half way there

72b9160b-c2ac-4864-ac00-fd7e573be43a_text.gif

Jul 6, 2016
Lots of smallish weak players in that bunch. Davidson has some size and grit, and Simoneau gas also lots of grit despite his size. But as you are writing, not many will reach NHL level there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad