GDT: 2022-23 Western Conference Quarter-Finals game 4 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @6:00pm (LA leads 2-1) 4/23/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Byfield has been a disappointment, but can't write him off as a bust yet. He's got vision, he's got speed, he certainly seems bigger than the previous season, but hopefully he finds his finish.

As for point production vs playoff team, I think there is some merit to that. Zibanejad had 20 pts (42 gp) in his second year with the Senators, starting in 12-13. He broke 50 pts....by his 5th year (imagine the meltdown here if Byfield did that) with the Senators. During that time, the Senators went to the playoffs 3 of the 5 years they had him. The deepest they got was the 2nd round, once. It wasn't until he was traded for a rebuild that he broke out with the Rangers......in his 3rd year at NY.

But 55 is the least of the Kings problems now or in the near future. Continuing to rely on Durzi/Edler and probably losing Korpisalo is a bigger problem while Peterson's buried cap hit is punching the Kings in the balls.
Much truth in this.

I think for those of us who defend Byfield, it's because we see the potential. This is something I noted back during his time with ONT, and that's evident in his NHL game; he can take a play 75% of the way, but often bungles it at the end, albeit when it matters most.

I think that is why a lot of us bring up experience or lack there of. He may very well not be able to reach that potential, but it's just too early to be conclusive about that based on the promise he's shown.. at times.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Yes, all those guys have been significantly better than QB.

Stutzle it’s not even close, it’s like the previously mentioned Setoguchi bs Kopitar. Why is Stutzle’s age 18 season compared to Byfield’s age 20 one? (Where he was still better, btw)

Raymond has 102 points in 156 games spread over his age 19 and age 20 seasons where it’s apparently unreasonable to expect anyone to produce at a respectable level in the league at that age.

Sanderson is just a better player. More offensive production from the blue line as a rookie. He had the type of season as a rookie that you expect from guys taken that high. Provided offense, skates like the wind and got much better defensively as the gear went on. If Ottawa offered Sanderson to LA for Byfield the Kings would accept in a nanosecond.

I don’t see why not being on a playoff team as any reason to diminish those players. I don’t remember any diminishing of Kopitar his first 3 seasons or Drew his rookie year. We all acknowledged they were awesome young players destined for stardom and that the team just had to get better around them. But I guess the rules change for players on other teams.
I'm not using playoff versus non-playoff team prospect expectation as a way to diminish these players, I'm saying expectations and what the coach goes out there to tell you to do if very different in those two roles. In my opinion you guys are using draft position to diminish Byfield. Vilardi was an 11th rd pick and it took him a while of overcoming injuries and a couple season to figure it out. Just because a player doesn't come into the league and become a 40-50pt player in their first couple seasons doesn't make them a bust.

Reactions: dman3474

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He is a natural playmaking center, he is doing great pulling opponents out of position and setting up other people.
The shot will grow with him which is secondary.
He needs to be moved back to center like yesterday

I don't think there is a guarantee that he breaks out just a bigger chance than today.

With your mindset we should stop drafting entirely because everyone could be a bust

No, that is not even close to what I am saying. Have you not read my posts on this forum for years? I guess not, but I was the guy saying the Kings should have extended the rebuild to pick higher in last years draft and especially this one. But thanks, first time I’ve ever been told I don’t believe in building through the draft.

As far as Thompson, I am just saying that for the vast majority of players who end up being as good or better than Tage Thompson there are clear signs early on.

When players taken as high as QB and Turcotte are this disappointing at this stage in their development the results are far more often bad than they are good. That is just a factual statement, people can cling to outliers but they are just that, outliers.

There is no way the Kings took QB expecting a 5-7 year process to see results.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
i am still a believer in QB. There are things he does that i like and I think will lead to more.
Unrelated but remember that season Carter was injured and Kempe seemed to emerge as a legit 2nd line center? The season after with Carter back I was pumped but it did not work out. Not sure why that popped into head.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I said most not all, Stutzle is definitely the outlier in this draft but hes also played way more games than Byfield and so has Raymond because Byfield broke his ankle. btw in Stutzle's first season he only had 29 points.

2022/2023 season stats:
Byfield - 3g/19a for 22 p in 53gp = 0.42 ppg, 2 playoff points
Sanderson - 4g/22a for 32p in 77gp = 0.42ppg
Lafrenière - 16g/23a for 39p in 81gp = 0.48ppg, 0 playoff points
Raymond - 17g/28a for 45p in 74gp = 0.6ppg
Stutzle - 39p/51a for 90p in 78gp = 1.16ppg

I don't know why you want to believe Byfield to be a bust so bad, maybe you need to head to the bathroom bust a nut and calm down a bit. The role/expectation of a prospect on a playoff team versus a non-playoff team is a definitely big difference.

Maybe you should actually read my posts and not worry about who does and doesn’t need to ejaculate. What does this even mean? Do I need to yell stranger danger?

“You just want the prospect/team to fail” is the laziest, most smooth brained retort to criticism. You’re right. I, a fan of the LA Kings, want their most important prospect since Doughty to bust. You’re an actual genius.

Byfield has been an immense disappointment. You can twist yourself into a pretzel trying to rationalize it, but it’s a fact. That doesn’t mean he’s doomed. He can still turn it around and become a productive top six forward. But up until now, he’s a disappointment. Period. Denying this is to deny the sky is blue.

Stutzle is ten times the player Byfield is right now. Accept it. Like Herby said, the “difference in expectations” is a total red herring invented by delusional Kings fans to feel better about their bad pick. It’s like downplaying Kopitar’s immediate impact in favor of Setoguchi’s slow start. It’s absurd.

I think 99% of the board wanted this path. I sure did.

Same with me.

Reactions: ibleedkings

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Maybe you should actually read my posts and not worry about who does and doesn’t need to ejaculate. What does this even mean? Do I need to yell stranger danger?

“You just want the prospect/team to fail” is the laziest, most smooth brained retort to criticism. You’re right. I, a fan of the LA Kings, want their most important prospect since Doughty to bust. You’re an actual genius.

Byfield has been an immense disappointment. You can twist yourself into a pretzel trying to rationalize it, but it’s a fact. That doesn’t mean he’s doomed. He can still turn it around and become a productive top six forward. But up until now, he’s a disappointment. Period. Denying this is to deny the sky is blue.

Stutzle is ten times the player Byfield is right now. Accept it. Like Herby said, the “difference in expectations” is a total red herring invented by delusional Kings fans to feel better about their bad pick. It’s like downplaying Kopitar’s immediate impact in favor of Setoguchi’s slow start. It’s absurd.

Same with me.
just worried about you bro, seem a little high strung

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I don’t know, I think it’s pretty bad to be getting this little offensively from a guy taken that high. Last year it was blamed on AA and Brown, but this year with probably our two best forwards he is still a complete offensive black hole.

I’m not saying he is the reason when they lose, but he’s definitely not pulling his weight as far as expectations.
Frankly, this is the exact same performance we were all excusing in his WJC.

I enjoy watching him play, there is a lot of potential there, but gee whiz the kid just doesn't accomplish much.

Reactions: SmytheKing

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Last year between AA and Brown he was a liability. This year hes much better as a player.
Yes hes far from the reason they lose.
The big problem is he needs to be the reason they win. Thats what the Kings need from him. He is not there yet.
And he shouldn't be. Its too early in the kids careers to expect them to carry them to a successful playoff run - just like its too late in the careers of Kopitar and Doughty to expect the same.

The only reason this team made it this far are the prime aged players brought in to bridge the gap, but you can only play Danault, Arvidsson, Moore, Fiala, Kempe, Iafallo, Roy and Gavrikov so much. Everybody else is struggling with the pace.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Frankly, this is the exact same performance we were all excusing in his WJC.

I enjoy watching him play, there is a lot of potential there, but gee whiz the kid just doesn't accomplish much.
Yeah, the goal posts have been moved a lot here.

The long-term project narrative is about on par with the “Brock Faber won’t sign with the Kings” one, it’s one of those things that is said a million times and becomes gospel. I went back and read the QB threads and like I remembered, the talk was he was not going to be a plug and play star like Matthews, not that he was going to be a 4-6 year project. All of the 4+ year project talk was invented as QB fell behind projections in year 2 and have continued as he fell more behind this year.

Just about everybody back then had QB as knocking on the door to the 1C by now, and being the clear 1C next season, and instead since he’s a struggling winger the narrative now changes to “everyone knew he was a long-term project”. It is just ignorance of how the draft process works in a cap league. No team is taking a player #2 in the draft if they are expecting to get almost nothing for the first 3 years the player is in the organization and nothing on an ELC.

And there is lots of “well next year is big for QB” or “I’ll be worried if he struggles again next year” but those same comments were made on this forum at the end of last season, and now he has struggled again and it’s the same comments except the year has changed. Eventually the problem can’t keep being pushed down the river and there has to be some acknowledgement that right now the pick looks like a big issue for the Kings.

Im not completely writing him off, but right now based on the history of similar players, the odds of that pick producing a good ROI worthy of what you expect from a 2OA is very low. I’m not saying he is a bust or or finished. But if you were setting odds on “What is QB’s career projection” and the two choices were star or bust. You would be getting a really good price if you chose star.

I think it falls somewhere in between. But somewhere in between isn’t going to be good enough for a player that much was expected of, a player who was supposed to be the main guy in the next era of Kings hockey.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Next time just write, “I’m lost and confused and have nothing else to say, so I’m going to troll now.”
not lost or confused, I just have nothing to say to you because you're bringing nothing to the conversation I'd rather engage with Herby who has thoughtful posts and reasonable things to bring to this Byfield discussion. Bye.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

The long-term project narrative is about on par with the “Brock Faber won’t sign with the Kings” one, it’s one of those things that is said a million times and becomes gospel. I went back and read the QB threads and like I remembered, the talk was he was not going to be a plug and play star like Matthews, not that he was going to be a 4-6 year project. All of the 4+ year project talk was invented as QB fell behind projections in year 2 and have continued as he fell more behind this year.

Just about everybody back then had QB as knocking on the door to the 1C by now, and being the clear 1C next season, and instead since he’s a struggling winger the narrative now changes to “everyone knew he was a long-term project”. It is just ignorance of how the draft process works in a cap league. No team is taking a player #2 in the draft if they are expecting to get almost nothing for the first 3 years the player is in the organization and nothing on an ELC.

And there is lots of “well next year is big for QB” or “I’ll be worried if he struggles again next year” but those same comments were made on this forum at the end of last season, and now he has struggled again and it’s the same comments except the year has changed. Eventually the problem can’t keep being pushed down the river and there has to be some acknowledgement that right now the pick looks like a big issue for the Kings.

Im not completely writing him off, but right now based on the history of similar players, the odds of that pick producing a good ROI worthy of what you expect from a 2OA is very low. I’m not saying he is a bust or or finished. But if you were setting odds on “What is QB’s career projection” and the two choices were star or bust. You would be getting a really good price if you chose star.

I think it falls somewhere in between. But somewhere in between isn’t going to be good enough for a player that much was expected of, a player who was supposed to be the main guy in the next era of Kings hockey.
Well, I have referred to him as a project since we got the #2 pick and the debate started. I won't try to paraphrase the group here, just state what I have always felt.

He was a kid who scored a lot by using his physical advantages over mismatched kids, but I didn't fault him for his success. You work with what you have. I understood the criticisms about the "rush" numbers but always felt that he had the tools at hand to evolve his game but it would take a lot more time than the usual #2 overall because he had to learn how to not use those crutches while growing into his body AND adapting to the pro game.

Based on the previous picks of Vilardi and Turcotte up the middle, I felt they were insulated against the patience it would take to nurture the rarest of NHL commodities - a huge, mobile #1 center. For that reason I felt it was worth the risk over Stützle even though the odds that he would hit were much higher.

Well, then Blake blew the rebuild to chase something that can't be caught. Vilardi and Turcotte failed to be NHL impact center men, and Byfield had a series of starts and stops before being converted to a winger to remove the pressure of producing up the middle.

I have always stated and still believe that it was a mistske to go for it so quickly as it puts undue pressure on kids to play a brand of hockey they aren't ready to play at this level. Sure enough, centers are on the wing, an offensive winger is butchering the #4c spot, a top 6 winger is scratched because he can't play 4th line hockey, a RHD is pigeonholed to the left while three high-end RHDs can't get any time at all, and a first round LHD is sent down just because they can.

This whole thing is an epic mess of poor judgement.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It definitely isn't where you wanted him to be in his development but Byfield looked completely lost in last year's playoffs to where he was rightfully scratched. At least he looks like an NHL player and is actually throwing his weight around a little bit this year.

He can still turn into a legit contributor but Blake said it himself that getting the 2OA "accelerates the rebuild". Well, it only does that if you think the guy you are taking there is going to be a real contributor by his D + 2/3 season. They definitely expected more production from him at this point so we should as well.

Reactions: funky

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Well, I have referred to him as a project since we got the #2 pick and the debate started. I won't try to paraphrase the group here, just state what I have always felt.

He was a kid who scored a lot by using his physical advantages over mismatched kids, but I didn't fault him for his success. You work with what you have. I understood the criticisms about the "rush" numbers but always felt that he had the tools at hand to evolve his game but it would take a lot more time than the usual #2 overall because he had to learn how to not use those crutches while growing into his body AND adapting to the pro game.

Based on the previous picks of Vilardi and Turcotte up the middle, I felt they were insulated against the patience it would take to nurture the rarest of NHL commodities - a huge, mobile #1 center. For that reason I felt it was worth the risk over Stützle even though the odds that he would hit were much higher.

Well, then Blake blew the rebuild to chase something that can't be caught. Vilardi and Turcotte failed to be NHL impact center men, and Byfield had a series of starts and stops before being converted to a winger to remove the pressure of producing up the middle.

I have always stated and still believe that it was a mistske to go for it so quickly as it puts undue pressure on kids to play a brand of hockey they aren't ready to play at this level. Sure enough, centers are on the wing, an offensive winger is butchering the #4c spot, a top 6 winger is scratched because he can't play 4th line hockey, a RHD is pigeonholed to the left while three high-end RHDs can't get any time at all, and a first round LHD is sent down just because they can.

This whole thing is an epic mess of poor judgement.
You cant rebuild forever, its not always about what prospects pan out its what you turn those prospects into. The bigger mistake Blake made was not using the cap space from the Quick trade to bring in 3rd/4th line center, not that he tried to make a push instead of rebuilding another year.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

My expectation for him coming into the year was to start taking over Kopitars role and by next year be the clear cut best center on the team. Not really on track though he may look good centering a combination of Fiala Kempe Vilardi come next season.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
No, that is not even close to what I am saying. Have you not read my posts on this forum for years? I guess not, but I was the guy saying the Kings should have extended the rebuild to pick higher in last years draft and especially this one. But thanks, first time I’ve ever been told I don’t believe in building through the draft.

As far as Thompson, I am just saying that for the vast majority of players who end up being as good or better than Tage Thompson there are clear signs early on.

When players taken as high as QB and Turcotte are this disappointing at this stage in their development the results are far more often bad than they are good. That is just a factual statement, people can cling to outliers but they are just that, outliers.

There is no way the Kings took QB expecting a 5-7 year process to see results.

so you wanted them to tanks 2 more years, extending the rebuild to 7 years? There's no way AEG would let that happen, especially what they're paying some of the guys. This sport is still about making money, something uncle Phil has lost a lot of during the rebuild. Plus, anyone drafted that high in the next few years , outside the top 5-7 won't be seeing a regular shift for 3 years, unless they're on a god awful team with multiple spots open playing at the cap floor.

as for point 2, this I agree on, but nobody expected him to make the team straight from the draft or even his first year pro eligible. We all saw how good he was in 21-22 camp, then the injury in the preseason game. That ankle injury really messed everything up, and its like he's been trying to catch up since.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
So what? For every Thompson who breaks out at 25 there are dozens of players who don’t.

It’s amazing how people think Thompson is the norm and that Byfield will automatically follow the same path.

He is an outlier.
Interesting that this is exactly how I feel about little guys… :shrug

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Byfield lack of production is disappointing, but I truly think people are either forgetting or overlooking the growth in his play.

How many times did Byfield shank a shot when he was right there with the puck?

I get that results matter. But development is a process and the time to start worrying, in my opinion, is the absence of growth.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
You cant rebuild forever, its not always about what prospects pan out its what you turn those prospects into. The bigger mistake Blake made was not using the cap space from the Quick trade to bring in 3rd/4th line center, not that he tried to make a push instead of rebuilding another year.
"Bigger"?

Like, for reals? Bigger than screwing up an entire rebuild?

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
"Bigger"?

Like, for reals? Bigger than screwing up an entire rebuild?
Why is the rebuild screwed up? Trades and free agent acquisitions are part of the overall rebuild not just draft picks. A prospect doesn't have to always pan out on your team if you use them as a trade peace for something that does. You can sign players out of college. Multiple things go into a rebuild/retool. This team definately looks better than last year and its not like the Oilers didn't improve either. Guys need to breath a bit, it's 2-2 series not a 4-0 sweep.

I know we are on a site called HockeyFuture but sometimes you just have to go for it to see what you have. You know how many people on here wanted to trade Kopitar because he wasn't good enough to be a true #1 center and blow it up again before the cup runs?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Interesting that this is exactly how I feel about little guys… :shrug
I’m not saying Thompson is an outlier in his size, just in the way he developed. It’s just not common for someone to break out so late. It shouldn’t be expected that Byfield would do the same.

And you aren’t wrong. Most smaller players will not be able to be impact guys in the NHL. But that doesn’t mean you automatically don’t consider or write off ones like Quinn Hughes, Caufield, Bedard who have incredible, superstar caliber skill, just because they are smaller than you would normally want a player to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad