GDT: 2022-23 season game 8 LA Kings vs Tampa Bay Lightning @7:30pm 10/25/22

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Well said - QB needs to control his own destiny by being active and hound the puck. That's when his best hockey comes out.
I agree with this. There was a shift there where QB looked like Kempe and was flying with the puck and then he promptly never touched the puck again with any sort of speed or control practically :P What I need to see from Byfield is just more control, be a master of his own destiny and get the puck on his stick and go. He has been mostly chasing and doing board work and looking for quick passes, but he needs to utilize his speed and skill and look to make a play, and the team needs to put him in better positions to utilize his strengths.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The first period and part of the second they looked bad. Quick was great. But the second half the game they looked really good. Pretty physical. It was the closest this year that they looked like last years team. Good game to build on moving forward.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I agree with this. There was a shift there where QB looked like Kempe and was flying with the puck and then he promptly never touched the puck again with any sort of speed or control practically :P What I need to see from Byfield is just more control, be a master of his own destiny and get the puck on his stick and go. He has been mostly chasing and doing board work and looking for quick passes, but he needs to utilize his speed and skill and look to make a play, and the team needs to put him in better positions to utilize his strengths.
I really think it will come for QB, much in the way that GV and AK have figured things out. Completely agree that the team needs to really reinforce what he's doing well and keep pushing him in those directions. It's clear to me that he's not ready for 1/2 line duties yet. Still has a year or two of development time in the NHL before he makes a much larger impact. You can't teach what this kid has, though. That's the best part. I'm more worried about how bad he wants it.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
No organization can expect to succeed with a player taking 7+ years to become a top-six forward on a regular basis.

5 years should be the threshold, which is when they typically become waiver eligible.

That's why Vilardi's level of performance is vital but good. Unfortunately, although Arvidsson is out, the Kings aren't calling up prospects who are going to be waiver eligible to get NHL opportunity. They're instead banking cap space to try to make a trade later. And JAD got less than 8 minutes in his lone opportunity where Arvidsson was out sick.

The Kings are once again seemingly focused on this year alone and deferring vital growth opportunities for prospects.

I'm happy for Vilardi's success. I always cheered him on and never once thought his career was over. But his success doesn't diminish what I'm afraid is still a problematic approach with the organization.

Not all prospects make it, I know. But not all vets are able to continuously carry the load, either. LA would be wise to be cognizant of that.

Young players of consequence who are waiver eligible next season: Kupari, Fagemo, Bjornfot . Akil Thomas and Tyler Madden also unless I'm mistaken. Decisions and trades need to be made.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Ok, so which 1st rounders have we determined did NOT turn out since Tyler Toffoli? (And yes, I know TT wasn’t picked in the first round)

The only thing I’m pointing out is a whole bunch of experts around here just don’t have patience. Would love to see some admit it.

You couldn't be more right.
Contrary to public believe, an offensive player peak is at 28.
Judging players before they turn 24 is what makes Kings prospects thrive somewhere else.
People need to stop to be so terrified of the waiver age.

Players like McDavid and Crosby are generational talents, no reason to compare our regular prospects with them

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Young players of consequence who are waiver eligible next season: Kupari, Fagemo, Bjornfot . Akil Thomas and Tyler Madden also unless I'm mistaken. Decisions and trades need to be made.
I would say Kupari and Fagemo are NHL bound.
The others will be kept in the AHL

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'd be okay with an 18-17-15-10 distribution of Kopitar - Danault - Byfield - Lizotte line distribution. Especially if Fiala played alongside Byfield, Fiala would still get 16-17 mins a game.
No reason I can see for not giving some of Kopitar's PP shifts to Byfield either.

Reactions: kinghock

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The first period and part of the second they looked bad. Quick was great. But the second half the game they looked really good. Pretty physical. It was the closest this year that they looked like last years team. Good game to build on moving forward.

Someone elsewhere said it was the best they had looked since Game 5(?) of the Oilers series and I agree.

Something to hopefully build off of...fast and gritty. Very entertaining watching them get pissed and start giving it right back. Lizotte's f*** you hit on Kucherov got me pumped.

No reason I can see for not giving some of Kopitar's PP shifts to Byfield either.

Especially if he's getting juiced to 22 minutes a game again with Byfield stuck at 10.

You drafted him 2OA for a reason, let him show it, give him some 'reward' time instead of just checking minutes.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Especially if he's getting juiced to 22 minutes a game again with Byfield stuck at 10.

You drafted him 2OA for a reason, let him show it, give him some 'reward' time instead of just checking minutes.

Not to rile you up even more, because you probably already know...QB 46.7% oZone starts at even strength on the season. And last night's second unit PP time was the first real PP he's gotten all season.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Winning is fun! Held them to 2! It was 3 really. Thanks Perry.

Vilardi: y'all missing that this is just the standard contract year bump.
:sarcasm:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Real fun game to be at. Might of been the alcohol but felt a little "statement-y" from the Kings which was nice to see in October. Good urgency in the 2nd period finally. Played physical and didn't look scared.
ok, so now you have to get season tickets and have a keg backpack at every game bro!

1666807295501.png

Reactions: YP44

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
No organization can expect to succeed with a player taking 7+ years to become a top-six forward on a regular basis.

5 years should be the threshold, which is when they typically become waiver eligible.

That's why Vilardi's level of performance is vital but good. Unfortunately, although Arvidsson is out, the Kings aren't calling up prospects who are going to be waiver eligible to get NHL opportunity. They're instead banking cap space to try to make a trade later. And JAD got less than 8 minutes in his lone opportunity where Arvidsson was out sick.

The Kings are once again seemingly focused on this year alone and deferring vital growth opportunities for prospects.

I'm happy for Vilardi's success. I always cheered him on and never once thought his career was over. But his success doesn't diminish what I'm afraid is still a problematic approach with the organization.

Not all prospects make it, I know. But not all vets are able to continuously carry the load, either. LA would be wise to be cognizant of that.

JAD wasn't replacing Arvidsson in the lineup. There no chance a coach like TM is putting a guy that hasn't played yet onto a top couple lines just because he's young.

You couldn't be more right.
Contrary to public believe, an offensive player peak is at 28.
Judging players before they turn 24 is what makes Kings prospects thrive somewhere else.
People need to stop to be so terrified of the waiver age.

Players like McDavid and Crosby are generational talents, no reason to compare our regular prospects with them

Depends on what you're talking about. Players might peak overall at 28, but their offense is generally at its best in their early 20's. For most guys.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not to rile you up even more, because you probably already know...QB 46.7% oZone starts at even strength on the season. And last night's second unit PP time was the first real PP he's gotten all season.

Oh don't worry, I know. I'm just not commenting on it anymore because quite a few posters are damn near giddy to post about his struggles.

Just biding my time like I did with Vilardi.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Vilardi has been insane. Everyone worries about who takes over Kopi's #1C spot and why not Gabe?
The reason why no one could consider that a mere 2 months ago, were: 1: he's too slow 2. he cannot play (consistent) top 6 NHL level 3. is he good enough defensively and all 3 of those reasons have been slayed.

1. he's no longer slow and moves well, 200 feet. 2. he's top 6 legit 3. he's sound defensively.
It will come down to, should he be wing or center? He's the best player on the ice most nights.
I don't see anything will stop him, from becoming a first line phenom. So why not C, if that
position will be too much for Kopi within 1,2 years? I don't see: QB, Kupari, *Pinelli, Hughes, Turcotte,
etc elevating higher than Gabe is as of this moment (and Gabe has not peaked!) 2 yrs from now, when Kopi will not be able to be 1C. AND, I don't see a high profile 8+ million free agent coming in as 1C. Gabe may well be heir to Kopi's spot.
I don't know. I think when things finally start clicking for a young player, you don't want to jerk them around. He's doing well on wing. Let's leave him there for awhile.

I'm not convinced his skating has improved that much. I think when a player is being assertive, aggressive, and playing with tempo, they look like they're faster.

At the center position you have to cover a lot more ice.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Missed the game, Arvidsson is out?
Sick again. There is a nasty stomach bug going around the DC suburbs right now. If he picked that up, then the Kings are going to be having lots of players out over the next week. My entire house of 5 had it 2 weeks ago. Every other day someone was nauseous or vomiting. Hits quickly and lasts 24-36 hours. One local high school had 1,000 kids out of 2,000 out sick with it on Monday. I think they are doing tests to find out exactly what it is.

• Wow

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
I dont agree w him getting better every game - but I do think he deserves more chances.. just dont see him taking the mantle for quite awhile.. Vilardi looked to bust out and then wham.. so I think that is also possible here
Maybe we're not watching the same kings.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Odd that the one & only guy to ignore the little kid (no fist bump, high 5, head tap, etc.) was DD8 -- and the kid was wearing whose jersey: DD8. I'm sure it wasn't on purpose or anything nefarious like that. But still, bad look DD.
Doesnt DD have some kids by now? actually seems out of character - he's normally a goofball

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
No way was it an unnecessary trade for Fiala. He was controlling the puck almost single-handedly for sequences of the game. He terrorized Hedman for a long shift. Fiala is just on the wrong line.
Fiala will be a fixture in the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad