GDT: 2022-23 season game 73 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues @7:30pm 3/26/23

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
I said that i'd like to see Byfield get the 3rd line center spot (that he had earlier and looked great next to GV & Fiala) FOR ONE GAME ONLY due to the situation with Lizotte. I wasn't "advocating breaking the line up". That's just you being dishonest and a drama queen. I just said that i'd like to see it (and again, for one game only). Plus, who knows what injuries will happen center wise and in playoffs you may need an emergency setup.

The best for the one game probably would be JAD & Kupari taking 3rd & 4th line duties -- but we know TM isn't doing that. So something odd was going to happen.

And sure, AI up to 1st line suck -- but i said that because you know TM would love it and it's something built in reality for TM.

Now what would you have said if i had instead suggested breaking up the 2nd line and putting Moore at center? Crazy huh? Ummm, yeah
I bet you're a BLAST, at parties.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Did anyone pointing at Durzi actually watch the game last night? He was the best dman outside of Gavrikov most of the game. The lapses happened when he wasn't even on the ice and the Blue capitalized on each one. Or are y'all saying Durzi's mere presence somehow made Anderson play his worst game of the season? I'm not a Durzi apologist by any means, I'd rather we play Spence, but c'mon give the guy a break. He came back from injury and played well.

The issue that the Kings faced earlier in the year was trying to integrate the explosive ALL offensive style of Fiala and the breakout production of Vilardi into the structured defensive intensity that allowed them to overachieve their way into the playoffs last year.

They struggled with finding that balance and had to outscore their struggles early to on to get points. That balance was at its absolute best while Durzi and Fiala were out. They controlled games without having to open up to play the Harlem Globetrotters crap that was on display last night.

When you have an abundance of players who think and always play offense first - like Fiala and Durzi - it is going to be difficult to maintain leads. The mindset changes to an unnecessarily risky tone because they can't play any other way.

So while Fiala and Durzi didn't make any errors themselves, they changed the tone and pace of the previous games from close control to a looser structure that allowed a mediocre team to stay in a game that would most likely have been over just the week before.

Fiala is a marvelous player with ridiculous skills. The Kings would be a better team without him.

• Haha
Reactions: ibleedkings

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-Lizotte-Vilardi
Iafallo-Kupari-Kaliyev

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy
Edler-Spence

Korpisalo
Copley

If Todd is willing to play the correct lineup, this team can do some serious damage in the playoffs.

Enough of Durzi on his off side and Walker being anything more than a seventh D.

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
The issue that the Kings faced earlier in the year was trying to integrate the explosive ALL offensive style of Fiala and the breakout production of Vilardi into the structured defensive intensity that allowed them to overachieve their way into the playoffs last year.

They struggled with finding that balance and had to outscore their struggles early to on to get points. That balance was at its absolute best while Durzi and Fiala were out. They controlled games without having to open up to play the Harlem Globetrotters crap that was on display last night.

When you have an abundance of players who think and always play offense first - like Fiala and Durzi - it is going to be difficult to maintain leads. The mindset changes to an unnecessarily risky tone because they can't play any other way.

So while Fiala and Durzi didn't make any errors themselves, they changed the tone and pace of the previous games from close control to a looser structure that allowed a mediocre team to stay in a game that would most likely have been over just the week before.

Fiala is a marvelous player with ridiculous skills. The Kings would be a better team without him.
I get where you're going but in the small sample size of last game (and minus that unnecessary dangle in front of Copley) Durzi played responsibly. We need a few more games to call this a Durzi effect and not a team that just got lackadaisical after 20 mins.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-Lizotte-Vilardi
Iafallo-Kupari-Kaliyev

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy
Edler-Spence

Korpisalo
Copley

If Todd is willing to play the correct lineup, this team can do some serious damage in the playoffs.

Enough of Durzi on his off side and Walker being anything more than a seventh D.

LMAO gotta love this...yea play the CORRECT lineup....not the lineups that have garnered 42 wins damnit.....we want the RIGHT lineup.....even though we know f***all about the tone of the team, the room, the players themselves...we want the CORRECT lineup, f*** off with your 42 wins, they don't mean shit if you arent playing the CORRECT lineup....

Jesus Christ, you guys don't even listen to yourselves.....

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I get where you're going but in the small sample size of last game (and minus that unnecessary dangle in front of Copley) Durzi played responsibly. We need a few more games to call this a Durzi effect and not a team that just got lackadaisical after 20 mins.
what he said^

it's a funny bit to make, the durzi effect, but these were 2 teams on b2bs, slop was expected and we got it. those breakdowns like the mikey/roy switch goal are just "tired" mental mistakes and neither goalie could steal the game. 2 points is 2 points if these mistakes remain a one-time thing

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Not cause/effect.

The Kings were playing more controlled and well before Fiala and Durzi went out. Just because we have one barn-burner in their return doesn't lead to this conclusion. The team doesn't have an abundance of players who think offense first, they have 2, and they certainly didn't change the pace or tone of any of the games due to this. Their lines, maybe, but not the team, not by a longshot. Teams don't change structure because of a couple of offensive guys, they still do exactly what the coaches tell them to.

The reason things have been so controlled and effective lately is because of one major factor - the trade deadline. Nothing to do with Fiala and/or Durzi. And really, the Kings better without Fiala? Probably the hottest of hot takes. I know you are extremely high on Faber but come on...

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015

Did Fiala f*** your mom or something? Faber isn't coming back, man. It's time to let go.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not cause/effect.

The Kings were playing more controlled and well before Fiala and Durzi went out. Just because we have one barn-burner in their return doesn't lead to this conclusion. The team doesn't have an abundance of players who think offense first, they have 2, and they certainly didn't change the pace or tone of any of the games due to this. Their lines, maybe, but not the team, not by a longshot. Teams don't change structure because of a couple of offensive guys, they still do exactly what the coaches tell them to.

The reason things have been so controlled and effective lately is because of one major factor - the trade deadline. Nothing to do with Fiala and/or Durzi. And really, the Kings better without Fiala? Probably the hottest of hot takes. I know you are extremely high on Faber but come on...
I agree. It's fair to say that this game is closer to a coincidence, and we'd need to see more to say it's a pattern.

The Kings were up 5-1 after 1. It's not like they just played run-and-gun all day. St. Louis pushed back and the Kings let their game get away from them.

I'm not the biggest Durzi fan, but I also don't think it's fair to use last night's game against him. There were a lot of miscues from those who should know better.

Reactions: Fishhead and 21Dog

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Kempe following up his career year with a new career year is awesome to say the least. There's always the worry that a player will regress after getting a secure contract, but so far that has not been the case. I really hope he hits 40. It'd be the first since the 90s that a Kings player scored that many goals.
faust jinxed it so it's a guarantee he's ending with 39

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kempe following up his career year with a new career year is awesome to say the least. There's always the worry that a player will regress after getting a secure contract, but so far that has not been the case. I really hope he hits 40. It'd be the first since the 90s that a Kings player scored that many goals.
Yup he surprised me for sure. Given how inconsistent he’s been, it’s surprising that he’s been very consistent

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Didn’t see much. Saw him take the penalty.

What else did he do or not do?

Obviously 0 points in a 7 goal game is not a good look

I think most of it is him being frustrated and trying to do too much.

Who'd have thought Doughty challenging himself to shoot better and work on his shot in practice actually worked?

Hes definitely been reading this board.

Did Fiala f*** your mom or something? Faber isn't coming back, man. It's time to let go.

It’s the mustache. Can’t grow one,

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
1st GA, Uncontested in between the dots at the hash mark, top corner
2nd GA, Copley probably should have had that one, tweeners
3rd GA, All alone in the slot, right shoulder
4th GA, Break away, all alone in the slot, top corner
5th GA, Same position as the first shot, 7 hole
6th GA, Pinball'ed in,

Maybe Kings should play some defense?
Great analysis.
Maybe I am being a bit hard on Copper.
But I really liked Korpi's game against Peg.
He is just faster, more mobile and he was acquired to be #1 because Blake wasn't comfortable.
Looking ahead to the rotation, I actually flop it and start Cops on Tuesday against Cowgry.
Then I decide if I am handing the reigns to Korpi.
Korpi starts against Crymonton on Thursday.
Copper goes against the Kraktifa on Sat
Korpi against the Canucks because they are on a tear on Sunday.
After that I affirm my decision to hand the reigns to Korpi during decison week when we have no back to backs and Edmoantown, Vagayas, Avamunch,
Once our playoff position is locked I rest Korpi
so potentially Cops starts the last one or 2 if so against Caknuckles and the Sducks.
Then we enter the playoffs with some expectations and it wont be easy.
Pacific div should be just as tough as all the top tier teams we lost to in 2023.
I will be happy to get through a round, building on last year.
but really 2 rounds would be a reasonable expectation given the moves Blake made and our form.
Problem is Pac div teams are all on fire, thats why you go all out for home ice and the Divy and the Conference.
Home ice would be nice if you survive and play west finals too,

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I picked the game up around 9:30 so I wasn't live on this GDT but did anyone mention the giant f***ing announcer curse that Faust put on this team? Some garbage about how it was the only live game in the NHL so if you haven't been watching the Kings then feast your eyes on this super legit team? Think he said that when it was 5-1 haha.

I wasn't worried about them losing the game but I am concerned that Faust just guaranteed a 4-0 sweep out of the first round.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
This game was just fugly! That streak of only giving up 2 goals against per game ended in a bad way. I still like Copley because he played solid enough overall to get the Kings 23 wins since his call-up from the Reign. Quite remarkable for a goalie who was 3rd on their depth chart and an outsider signed in free agency this past season. The reality is he's not a goalie that can give you consistent save %'s above .905. This was an awful game for him despite the team D being awful tonight. Going forward Korpisalo should absolutely be the #1 and also be the playoff starter. The only advantage Copley really has over Korpisalo, is he's a slightly bigger goalie taking up space and his puck handling helps the Kings D a lot better.

With both goalies in net, PK is still a weakness. It's not so much on the goaltending now with Copley/Korpisalo, but something is wrong with how the PK is taught in taking away passing lanes and shots. There are still too many failed attempts on clearing pucks and some players are making wrong reads of where to position themselves. I would say some players are still getting caught being too stationary. Who is the assistant coach in charge of the PK?
Great point, I would tell guys if you get the puck on the PK, take a second and get it out for sure, and if that causes a battle for possession so be it.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Not cause/effect.

I agree. It's fair to say that this game is closer to a coincidence, and we'd need to see more to say it's a pattern.

The Kings were up 5-1 after 1. It's not like they just played run-and-gun all day. St. Louis pushed back and the Kings let their game get away from them.

I'm not the biggest Durzi fan, but I also don't think it's fair to use last night's game against him. There were a lot of miscues from those who should know better.
Their game didn't get away from them KP, the players didn't adapt to play a more conservative style with the lead. They took their foot off the gas but kept playing open, aggressive hockey and St. Louis took advantage of the spaces. Fiala and Durzi don't know any other way of playing - there isn't an ounce of chip and chase or dump in to get a change in Fiala's body. Those two create chaos at both ends of the rink and when your team needs to slow the game down to a grind to kill time on the clock, you just cannot afford to have those guys on the ice. Playoff hockey is a different game, and honestly I am really concerned about those two in particular being unable to help their team win games.

And why would we need to see more? This is exactly how the first half of the season was played.

The question will be whether this game is just a welcome back blip, or whether the careless style of hockey will continue into what is going to be a very important road trip. Play like last night and they will lose home ice for certain before they get home.

This has nothing to do with Faber, but since you bring it up I'll add yours to the names on the ol' I Told Ya So's list that will be appearing in due time.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I picked the game up around 9:30 so I wasn't live on this GDT but did anyone mention the giant f***ing announcer curse that Faust put on this team? Some garbage about how it was the only live game in the NHL so if you haven't been watching the Kings then feast your eyes on this super legit team? Think he said that when it was 5-1 haha.

I wasn't worried about them losing the game but I am concerned that Faust just guaranteed a 4-0 sweep out of the first round.

Can’t f***ing stand Faust. He does shit like this all the time.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Their game didn't get away from them KP, the players didn't adapt to play a more conservative style with the lead. They took their foot off the gas but kept playing open, aggressive hockey and St. Louis took advantage of the spaces. Fiala and Durzi don't know any other way of playing - there isn't an ounce of chip and chase or dump in to get a change in Fiala's body. Those two create chaos at both ends of the rink and when your team needs to slow the game down to a grind to kill time on the clock, you just cannot afford to have those guys on the ice. Playoff hockey is a different game, and honestly I am really concerned about those two in particular being unable to help their team win games.

And why would we need to see more? This is exactly how the first half of the season was played.

The question will be whether this game is just a welcome back blip, or whether the careless style of hockey will continue into what is going to be a very important road trip. Play like last night and they will lose home ice for certain before they get home.
But that's just the definition of the game getting away from them. Failure to adapt, and St. Louis, with a team full of players playing for a job next year attacking the spaces given. I promise I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but how is your interpretation of the events NOT the game getting away from them, considering their strong first? It happened up and down the lineup.

And in my opinion, we need to see more, because we've seen the team seemingly transform since the All-Star break. Kopitar talked about how the team is more committed to playing defense, and they have, by and large, delivered on that commitment. Last night's game was the first one all month in which they allowed more than 2 goals; Durzi and Fiala played in a portion of those games before they got injured.

I absolutely agree that there are some habits of tendencies of Fiala and Durzi which can be chaotic, but I think it's unfair to blame their return for the entire team having their play drop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad