GDT: 2022-23 season game 73 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues @7:30pm 3/26/23

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm not disagreeing but swap Quick for Copley and he's getting raked over the coals for the same goals.
Well Quick is a vet and should be playing smarter despite his age 37, but he's struggled because he has not adjusted his style enough. His greatness was because his quick acrobatic style could beat shooters, but now the shooters are quicker than him. Quick's numbers have already dropped somewhat badly with Vegas, but Vegas is good enough to bail him out. If they have to rely on him in the playoffs, they could have issues even in the 1st round!

Every team has ugly games. We won ours. Not to mention it was a funky back to back. Let’s right this ship and get back to solid defense next game. I want to win the division.
Copley was fresher than the team, but he looked as bad as the team. We'll see if he makes some corrections in his next start.

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
I don't blame Copley for most of those goals against. How many times was a Blues player gifted the perfect slot position with no Kings players near them? It was almost laughable. I was like this many times watching the game.

recardo.jpg

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
1st GA, Uncontested in between the dots at the hash mark, top corner
2nd GA, Copley probably should have had that one, tweeners
3rd GA, All alone in the slot, right shoulder
4th GA, Break away, all alone in the slot, top corner
5th GA, Same position as the first shot, 7 hole
6th GA, Pinball'ed in,

Maybe Kings should play some defense?
I hate when people make comments like this because you can pretty much blame every goal on the defense.

Are we going to only blame the goalie when it’s a floater or a random misplay by the goalie?

The goalies responsibility is to come up big in all situations. You need your goalie to make big saves and the smalls ones.

With your logic you would be comfortable putting a 10 year old in net because if the defense was playing good enough then the goalie won’t need to try.

Yeah the defense failed and the goalie at no point bailed the defense.

Any goalies can make the small saves. Good goalies make the hard saves. That is my point that you seemed to intentionally miss.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Any news about what’s caused this offensive emergence from doughty? I’ve never seen him be this dangerous on offense for many years.

He said he didn't want to score few goals than his rookie season. Weird what motivates him. :laugh:

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Hard game to figure out. Could have been a sloppy back to back win, and onto the next one.

Could have been the last win to start a skid.

Could have been throwing Fiala and Durzi back out there opened things up both for better and worse, and it’ll get tightened up, we shall see.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’m on east coast time this week and watching this circus at 1am was not good for my sleep patterns :laugh:

Ugly win but take it and reset, learn some lessons. Lot of weird circumstances last night.

Moore at C didn’t seem great last night

Blues definitely saw some things in the system to expose and hopefully the kings have some Video to clean that up. Haven’t seen any team get that many open looks in the slot since the early going.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Even funnier how he wasn't on the ice for any of them, and was one of the few plus defenders while also assisting on 2 pp goals. You want to go after someone, start with Andersen, then Roy, then Walker...

Doesn't work that way....can't be rational about anything on this board.........especially if you know f***all about hockey like the guy you are responding to.....

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Even funnier how he wasn't on the ice for any of them, and was one of the few plus defenders while also assisting on 2 pp goals. You want to go after someone, start with Andersen, then Roy, then Walker...
Doughty and Anderson played their worst game in a very long time.
Durzi was mostly good and did well on the powerplay. But he had a bad turnover in his own zone, lost coverage in front of the net, and that risky stickhandle right in front of his own net.
Things he got lucky didnt end up in his own net and he needs to clean up those moments of carelessness. McDavid will feast.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Doughty and Anderson played their worst game in a very long time.
Durzi was mostly good and did well on the powerplay. But he had a bad turnover in his own zone, lost coverage in front of the net, and that risky stickhandle right in front of his own net.
Things he got lucky didnt end up in his own net and he needs to clean up those moments of carelessness. McDavid will feast.

But the thing is, it didn't. But for the other 4 it did. Yet some of the comment in the gdt make it sound like he was responsible for most of the 6 goals. First game back from concussion and he get trashed for minor things that resulted in ZERO GA's. smfh

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
But the thing is, it didn't. But for the other 4 it did. Yet some of the comment in the gdt make it sound like he was responsible for most of the 6 goals. First game back from concussion and he get trashed for minor things that resulted in ZERO GA's. smfh
Well yea because he is the whipping boy.
It is funny that they didnt give up more than 2 goals while he was out and the first game he comes back its back to loosey goosey defense.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I’m on east coast time this week and watching this circus at 1am was not good for my sleep patterns :laugh:

Ugly win but take it and reset, learn some lessons. Lot of weird circumstances last night.

Moore at C didn’t seem great last night

Blues definitely saw some things in the system to expose and hopefully the kings have some Video to clean that up. Haven’t seen any team get that many open looks in the slot since the early going.

A lot of bad reads by defensemen. It was Roy/Anderson on one of those goals, and it was on Roy's side, but he wasn't quite there, so Anderson went to do his job. Roy wasn't that far away that Anderson needed to go all in. You do your job. Anderson tried being the hero, but just don't let the pass through. Roy also couldve seen Anderson there and remained in the middle, but he tried to make up for being out of position. Both guys did the worst things they could've done at the same time. Another one was Doughty way out of position.

Some soft goals by Copley. A deflection.

A lot of big scoring wins on a long homestand. One of the beat teams in the league over a good chunk of games. I'll chalk it up to the Kings liking their own smell after being up 5-1 in the first.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Need to win the division and start with Winnipeg

Durzi back in the lineup and we give up a touchdown with a missed extra point

Coincidence?

Well yea because he is the whipping boy.
It is funny that they didnt give up more than 2 goals while he was out and the first game he comes back its back to loosey goosey defense.

The Kings play a faster, looser game with Fiala and Durzi in the lineup. Can't argue with the results either way, but undoubtedly the team that locks down the opposition would fare better in the playoffs than the one who tries to outscore their problems.

Fiala is an amazing talent, the pure, raw skill is something to behold. Durzi has very good offensive vision and competes like a motherhugger. But the team simply played a better style of hockey without either of them.

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
Did anyone pointing at Durzi actually watch the game last night? He was the best dman outside of Gavrikov most of the game. The lapses happened when he wasn't even on the ice and the Blue capitalized on each one. Or are y'all saying Durzi's mere presence somehow made Anderson play his worst game of the season? I'm not a Durzi apologist by any means, I'd rather we play Spence, but c'mon give the guy a break. He came back from injury and played well.

Reactions: YAYSAY

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Wait. Are people seriously advocating the break up of our top line? One of the top 5 lines in the entire NHL since Byfield was moved up?

Did I miss something? Why woul....... you know what, never mind.
I said that i'd like to see Byfield get the 3rd line center spot (that he had earlier and looked great next to GV & Fiala) FOR ONE GAME ONLY due to the situation with Lizotte. I wasn't "advocating breaking the line up". That's just you being dishonest and a drama queen. I just said that i'd like to see it (and again, for one game only). Plus, who knows what injuries will happen center wise and in playoffs you may need an emergency setup.

The best for the one game probably would be JAD & Kupari taking 3rd & 4th line duties -- but we know TM isn't doing that. So something odd was going to happen.

And sure, AI up to 1st line suck -- but i said that because you know TM would love it and it's something built in reality for TM.

Now what would you have said if i had instead suggested breaking up the 2nd line and putting Moore at center? Crazy huh? Ummm, yeah

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The Kings play a faster, looser game with Fiala and Durzi in the lineup.
Yes, I dont think its a coincidence that the structure went to hell when they return at the same time. Its also one of the reasons they went up 5-1 in the first. Its a coaching challenge to get that in check.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
The Kings play a faster, looser game with Fiala and Durzi in the lineup. Can't argue with the results either way, but undoubtedly the team that locks down the opposition would fare better in the playoffs than the one who tries to outscore their problems.

Fiala is an amazing talent, the pure, raw skill is something to behold. Durzi has very good offensive vision and competes like a motherhugger. But the team simply played a better style of hockey without either of them.
I think it’s safe to say that the team is capable of absorbing the risk that comes with Fiala, because the production is there, and forwards are a lot easier to insulate.

Durzi however, is another story.

There probably is only room for one on a playoff contender, and I know who my money (and the Kings) is on.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think it’s safe to say that the team is capable of absorbing the risk that comes with Fiala, because the production is there, and forwards are a lot easier to insulate.

Durzi however, is another story.

There probably is only room for one on a playoff contender, and I know who my money (and the Kings) is on.
Want to yellow marker your comment. Just that one play where Durzi does a dangle in front of Copley to avoid a forechecker - sums up his mindset. Thats not the kind of instinct you want on your 3rd pair when the partner is Elder or Walker. The Kings have enough scoring all over the lineup, its not like anyone needs a Karlsson mentality in that spot. Now if they had a Gavrikov clone on the 3LD, sure you could have Durzi there and protect him, but Durzi and and anyone of Walker and Edler (we know Spence isnt going to be considered)... is not a sound 3rd pair for a playoff run where that pair will be exposed on the road. This is the Kings achilles heel.

Reactions: psych3man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad