GDT: 2022-23 season game 73 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues @7:30pm 3/26/23

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Sorry had to chime in on this to clarify some assertions. Before Gavrikov was acquired, the D group was a bit of a mess. To make things worse, neither Cal/Quick could goaltend with this system and roster. They were terribly erratic. Copley was called up and he brought a calm and collective element of goaltending that neither Cal/Quick were displaying. It was a breath of fresh air. Copley plays a much simpler butterfly style than other goalies. He tries to utilize his big size and get square to shots, playing a more upright butterfly. His mobility can be a weakness in certain situations and tonight there was too many of those type of situations.

Regarding goalie stats, Wins and GAA are more a result of the teams offense and defense. Save % is the more important stat for goalies. This has been a weakness of Copley throughout his career so far. Any goalie going into the playoffs with a .905 SV% or less, will be a disadvantage. This is where Korpisalo has a big advantage over Copley. He was putting up a .910+ SV% on the worst team in the NHL and now he's putting up a .930ish with the Kings. Korpi is the go to guy and has some good playoff numbers to back it up. I still like Copley as a platoon/backup role, but if you start him in the playoffs you're giving the Oilers a big advantage. The Oilers have the #1 offense and PP. Korpi's quicker lateral movement(side-2-side) might be better suited against the Oilers, as he can adapt to breakdowns a lot better than Copley.

For those who think my goalie analysis is mumbo jumbo, Korpisalo is a better goalie than Copley.
Wow you are giving the Kings no chance at winning the divy>
Thats a bit scary but I am still hopeful despite my respect to your takes.
If the Kings can pull it back together and beat all their divisional rivals, which is really important anyway, they can do it.
Who starts tomorrow and thursday?
Would you hand the reigns to Korpi now?
Would you rest Korpi after we are locked into a playoff position?
Thank you

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I picked the game up around 9:30 so I wasn't live on this GDT but did anyone mention the giant f***ing announcer curse that Faust put on this team? Some garbage about how it was the only live game in the NHL so if you haven't been watching the Kings then feast your eyes on this super legit team? Think he said that when it was 5-1 haha.

I wasn't worried about them losing the game but I am concerned that Faust just guaranteed a 4-0 sweep out of the first round.
he did it like 4 f***in times in the game too, this was by far one of their worst games in my opinion. fox with his "i told you so" crap and faust refusing to just call play by play

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
This has nothing to do with Faber, but since you bring it up I'll add yours to the names on the ol' I Told Ya So's list that will be appearing in due time.
I get your belief in Faber and that he's a certainty to be among the great Dmen in a few years when he gets to the NHL. But you do realize that we also got something extremely good in Fiala. A guy who made the all-star team and has brought flair, electricity, excitement and fun to the team (not to mention team success; and PP success finally). A team that is trying to win now -- not in two or more years from now. We traded a guy who plays a position that our best prospect and one of our other VERY good prospects currently have no place to play on the team even though they are likely ready now...and may not even have a place next year either. I get it, i'd love for us to trade away our lesser/middling prospects for stars as well. But that's not reality. this was a win-win trade. It seems like your love for Faber is clouding your big picture judgement here.

I mean this with all due respect (i truly, truly do), but your kinda at the point where you're the guy who can't get over his HS crush and just can't let it go...constantly going on & on about how great she is. Again, i don't say that in a mean, derogatory way (i apologize in advance if it is coming off that way). I have been there before with getting too attached to prospects that i think will be crazy elite.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
But that's just the definition of the game getting away from them. Failure to adapt, and St. Louis, with a team full of players playing for a job next year attacking the spaces given. I promise I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but how is your interpretation of the events NOT the game getting away from them, considering their strong first? It happened up and down the lineup.

And in my opinion, we need to see more, because we've seen the team seemingly transform since the All-Star break. Kopitar talked about how the team is more committed to playing defense, and they have, by and large, delivered on that commitment. Last night's game was the first one all month in which they allowed more than 2 goals; Durzi and Fiala played in a portion of those games before they got injured.

I absolutely agree that there are some habits of tendencies of Fiala and Durzi which can be chaotic, but I think it's unfair to blame their return for the entire team having their play drop.
Its been said already but the Kings were doing great without Durzi.
I used to think we need his offense but I think Bjo should be called up and Durzi seataded.
I like Blands take on Fiala's tendencies.
But we would not be challenging now with DD and Kopi proving it was worth it, right now.
Durzi and Fiala , come down to coaching, maybe some unorthodox in game coaching.
I would consider shifting him to the 4th line potentially with a 2 goal lead and definitely if we were ever fortunate enough to get a 3 goal lead anytime in the playoffs.
KeFi is also a risk to take penalties , stupid penalties, o zone penalties, retaliatory penalties.
He kept his cool last night so maybe they had a little talk with him.
Kings would have the Pac and the West locked if not for this kinda stuff, Quick and Cal.
Most crucial regular season games I can remember, coming up.

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I absolutely agree that there are some habits of tendencies of Fiala and Durzi which can be chaotic, but I think it's unfair to blame their return for the entire team having their play drop.

Especially since Durzi wasn't even on the ice for any goal against, ES or PP. Fiala wasn't either until with less than a minute left and one deflected in off Kyrou with the goalie pulled. The premise that they somehow made the team play differently last night has no merit whatsoever.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I picked the game up around 9:30 so I wasn't live on this GDT but did anyone mention the giant f***ing announcer curse that Faust put on this team? Some garbage about how it was the only live game in the NHL so if you haven't been watching the Kings then feast your eyes on this super legit team? Think he said that when it was 5-1 haha.

I wasn't worried about them losing the game but I am concerned that Faust just guaranteed a 4-0 sweep out of the first round.
He just tries to do too much. I like his play call in general but he just talks too much for his own good. Stick to play by play and leave the commentary to Fox.

he did it like 4 f***in times in the game too, this was by far one of their worst games in my opinion. fox with his "i told you so" crap and faust refusing to just call play by play
Speaking of Jim Fox, I love the guy but him saying he knew it was coming (STL comeback) was BS.

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
Its been said already but the Kings were doing great without Durzi.
I used to think we need his offense but I think Bjo should be called up and Durzi seataded.
I think our GM Rob Blake and top paid coach Mr. McLellan know more about this team than you do. I trust them over some rando poster. Look where the Kings are at currently under both their leadership. There is a reason that they have Durzi playing and Bjorn in Ontario. Silly comments from the peanut gallery about changes to the roster while this team is currently headed to maybe their greatest regular season finish ever -- smh.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I bet you're a BLAST, at parties.
😝🔥🎯Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-Lizotte-Vilardi
Iafallo-Kupari-Kaliyev

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy
Edler-Spence

Korpisalo
Copley

If Todd is willing to play the correct lineup, this team can do some serious damage in the playoffs.

Enough of Durzi on his off side and Walker being anything more than a seventh D.
Call up Bjornfort now and see how he does and if he can rotate in when Edler is worn down and needs a night off or we get an injured LHD in the playoffs.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
Their game didn't get away from them KP, the players didn't adapt to play a more conservative style with the lead. They took their foot off the gas but kept playing open, aggressive hockey and St. Louis took advantage of the spaces. Fiala and Durzi don't know any other way of playing - there isn't an ounce of chip and chase or dump in to get a change in Fiala's body. Those two create chaos at both ends of the rink and when your team needs to slow the game down to a grind to kill time on the clock, you just cannot afford to have those guys on the ice. Playoff hockey is a different game, and honestly I am really concerned about those two in particular being unable to help their team win games.

And why would we need to see more? This is exactly how the first half of the season was played.

The question will be whether this game is just a welcome back blip, or whether the careless style of hockey will continue into what is going to be a very important road trip. Play like last night and they will lose home ice for certain before they get home.

This has nothing to do with Faber, but since you bring it up I'll add yours to the names on the ol' I Told Ya So's list that will be appearing in due time.
Okay, go ahead and bookmark me then? Just don't turn into andys/Kubalik 2.0

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Yup he surprised me for sure. Given how inconsistent he’s been, it’s surprising that he’s been very consistent
I said at the end of last season that I was pretty confident he wouldn’t regress because along with his production last year there were some pretty meaningful changes to his game. He stopped deferring and started becoming a shot first player, it was never a case of the ‘mythical’ contract year situation or riding an unsustainable sh%. His game as a whole had become much more assertive and he’s kept that going.

Edit: Not really directed at you Sol, btw. Just talking about why I think he’s elevated his game and sustained it.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Kempe following up his career year with a new career year is awesome to say the least. There's always the worry that a player will regress after getting a secure contract, but so far that has not been the case. I really hope he hits 40. It'd be the first since the 90s that a Kings player scored that many goals.
Not to mention his all around play on top of that.
Here we see the complete player that had to earn it by doing the small things correctly, TMacked.
And a GM, who hold his high picks and waits for them to break out even if they are behind schedule.
Early last season the now disbanded all distraught semi-men's choir was making entire albums devoted to the idea of trading Kempe.
Please don't get mad, just own that you were part of the idea that would have not allowed the Kings to go where they are now.
Into the promise of the promised land (potentially).
We have DD and Kopi totally elevating with the help of these younger players given us a shot and a lot of excitement.
Unfortunately Quick fell of the wagon.
After that we have a lot of potential to repeat this type of thing if we are patient and continue to maximize with supplemental acquisitions.
Looks like I was hard on Durzi and thats fair but his history is scary when you are looking at critical games.
Both he and Fiala must be kept on a short leash and used correctly or they could be the fuses that cause a black out!

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Two things that never happen:

1) A Kings player scoring 40 goals.
2) The Kings winning the division.
Big call and definitely they could go hand and hand.
I think our GM Rob Blake and top paid coach Mr. McLellan know more about this team than you do. I trust them over some rando poster. Look where the Kings are at currently under both their leadership. There is a reason that they have Durzi playing and Bjorn in Ontario. Silly comments from the peanut gallery about changes to the roster while this team is currently headed to maybe their greatest regular season finish ever -- smh.
Whatever I say you try to shout it down
No shiite they know more than me.
I just said things like this to Herby and others last week and in the past.
Some of my comments like this come true and they get to the moves I talked about on their own accord(Copley).
So when I make a suggestion I am saying it is something they may be considering.
Stop being mad that I don't go along with you and your buddy buddy club and you comments when they are off.
I still credit the people I don't agree with when they make good reads.
I don't waste everybodys' time on personal vendettas like you do.
Lunch hour is up Dwight.
Head back to the office!
And hit the ignore button if your ego can't take it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Schrute farms

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I said at the end of last season that I was pretty confident he wouldn’t regress because along with his production last year there were some pretty meaningful changes to his game. He stopped deferring and started becoming a shot first player, it was never a case of the ‘mythical’ contract year situation or riding an unsustainable sh%. His game as a whole had become much more assertive and he’s kept that going.

Edit: Not really directed at you Sol, btw. Just talking about why I think he’s elevated his game and sustained it.
He also got move up to partner with Kopi, which started it all.

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
I bet you're a BLAST, at parties.
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=5460...MDBFMjg2NUNCNzdEQ0M0RTJGMUZFNjk5OUU1RUY&ntb=1
1679955919180.png

• Haha
Reactions: King'sPawn

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
what he said^

it's a funny bit to make, the durzi effect, but these were 2 teams on b2bs, slop was expected and we got it. those breakdowns like the mikey/roy switch goal are just "tired" mental mistakes and neither goalie could steal the game. 2 points is 2 points if these mistakes remain a one-time thing

Somebody finally brings this up. B2B... one day , one night, they were bound to slip up somewhere. The 5-1 lead played into this too. They got real complaceint in the 2nd and then in the third they sort of picked it up again. I'm guessing the 5 goals given up from right in the slot is a result of playing 2 games in 28 hours. Those were menatal mistakes we haven't seen in weeks.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Great analysis.
Maybe I am being a bit hard on Copper.
But I really liked Korpi's game against Peg.
He is just faster, more mobile and he was acquired to be #1 because Blake wasn't comfortable.
Looking ahead to the rotation, I actually flop it and start Cops on Tuesday against Cowgry.
Then I decide if I am handing the reigns to Korpi.
Korpi starts against Crymonton on Thursday.
Copper goes against the Kraktifa on Sat
Korpi against the Canucks because they are on a tear on Sunday.
After that I affirm my decision to hand the reigns to Korpi during decison week when we have no back to backs and Edmoantown, Vagayas, Avamunch,
Once our playoff position is locked I rest Korpi
so potentially Cops starts the last one or 2 if so against Caknuckles and the Sducks.
Then we enter the playoffs with some expectations and it wont be easy.
Pacific div should be just as tough as all the top tier teams we lost to in 2023.
I will be happy to get through a round, building on last year.
but really 2 rounds would be a reasonable expectation given the moves Blake made and our form.
Problem is Pac div teams are all on fire, thats why you go all out for home ice and the Divy and the Conference.
Home ice would be nice if you survive and play west finals too,
Surf thanks for the goalie praise again, but man you need some work on some of those nicknames for the Kings opponents.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Wow you are giving the Kings no chance at winning the divy>
Thats a bit scary but I am still hopeful despite my respect to your takes.
If the Kings can pull it back together and beat all their divisional rivals, which is really important anyway, they can do it.
Who starts tomorrow and thursday?
Would you hand the reigns to Korpi now?
Would you rest Korpi after we are locked into a playoff position?
Thank you
I would maybe have Korpi start every 2 to Copley's 1, for the remaining 9 games. Korpi doesn't need rest, as he needs to stay in game rhythm going into the playoffs as the #1. 37 games is Korpisalo's season high for games played in a season and he's at 33 now. I don't see any burnout from him and I think he will handle more games just fine. Also, the team needs to get in a rhythm where Korpisalo is their goalie every game, because flipping back n forth in a playoff series doesn't do any good for both goalies. Korpi should be the guy with Copper being there to come in if needed, knowing he can win games for the team too.

Reactions: Fripp

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Surf thanks for the goalie praise again, but man you need some work on some of those nicknames for the Kings opponents.
Work in progress. Lol
A little pumped up right now.
No agenda just really like hearing from core GT that analyzes things and breaks it down for non GT's

I would maybe have Korpi start every 2 to Copley's 1, for the remaining 9 games. Korpi doesn't need rest, as he needs to stay in game rhythm going into the playoffs as the #1. 37 games is Korpisalo's season high for games played in a season and he's at 33 now. I don't see any burnout from him and I think he will handle more games just fine. Also, the team needs to get in a rhythm where Korpisalo is their goalie every game, because flipping back n forth in a playoff series doesn't do any good for both goalies. Korpi should be the guy with Copper being there to come in if needed, knowing he can win games for the team too.
Someone else mentioned goalie rotation in the playoffs.
You hit that too.
Thanks again

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Work in progress. Lol
A little pumped up right now.
No agenda just really like hearing from core GT that analyzes things and breaks it down for non GT's

Someone else mentioned goalie rotation in the playoffs.
You hit that too.
Thanks again
Teams used to do it more in the 80's playoffs and earlier. These days you need to go with the mindset of having a starter, sticking with them win or lose. Switching goalies can mess up a teams preparation and how they play game to game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad