GDT: 2022-23 season game 67 LA Kings vs Nashville Predators @7:30pm 3/11/23

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Well one thing is for sure. Without Fiala in the line up. There is a big drop off because the Kings were terrible all around except for in net against the Predators.

Nah, Fiala's presence may have been more likely to have resulted in a regulation loss than a win on Saturday. The riskiest player on the roster on that ice? Almost a guaranteed short handed goal against with those backtracks and tricks at the blueline.

The team was okay, but the ice was godawful. You do better in those games by pounding it to the net and getting traffic, not fancying your way around the perimeter.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Probably declined the penalty and punt.........I'm not saying I wouldn't take PP1, I am saying I wouldn't have wasted a time out given the conditions of both units.
Fine - but you were claiming it was a bitch when it was a well reasoned take. I really want to see TM succeed and wipe away his rep.. im still going to call out things when I see them. Even Axl didnt like the Quick start at NYR.. there are things he does that puzzle a lot of people.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Fine - but you were claiming it was a bitch when it was a well reasoned take. I really want to see TM succeed and wipe away his rep.. im still going to call out things when I see them. Even Axl didnt like the Quick start at NYR.. there are things he does that puzzle a lot of people.

They only puzzle people....because you can see a 16th of what goes on.......imagine going through life puzzled as hell because you don't have the ability to realize you aren't seeing the entire picture......not saying that TM is.....but he sure as hell sees a lot more than internet message board fans....

If the team was 20-38-9 instead of 38-20-9 most of the bitches, would probably be valid.....I don't understand how anyone is bitching about how this team is constructed/winning right now....unless the expectations are 82-0-0.....

Even if the expectations are winning a playoff round (good expectation) there are people bitching that we won't do it...and we haven't even f***ing got there.....figure that one out for me please....

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Then why not keep Stevens if the plan was to hire a new long-term coach anyway?
I don't think anyone here has any realistic idea as to why Stevens was let go. I would love to know, it was a shocking move given the overachieving success of the previous season.

But one thing I do feel very comfortable arguing is that no GM is going to let an interim hire single-handedly destroy the relationship between a freshly signed marquee star and his new team. If anything it is most likely that Desjardins was used/asked by Blake to drive a wedge in to fix his own mistake with the awful Kovalchuk signing.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So, even if you consider WD to be a temporary coach (which is fine), why does BLuc get a third coach if the team were to disappoint in the playoffs?

Everyone agrees DL was in a playoff results or out situation in 2012, which was his 6th season. Why should Blake have different standards in his 6th?

If the Kings lose in round 1, Todd is gone but BLuc remain to choose a 3rd (or 4th) coach?
My point on WD was just my pedantic take that I don’t consider him a proper permanent coach of the team. In terms of how many coaches a GM should get, I don’t have a set number because how things evolve, who was available when hires are made, draft success etc all play a part. Given the faith and investment in TMac though I’d think that some success this year should be expected.

If they don’t get out of the 1st round I agree that everyone is under pressure. I won’t have a specific view unless that happens because context is key but yes you’d have to think jobs would be on the line. What we don’t know is who made decisions and set goalposts behind the scenes. So maybe Blake sets his own course, maybe it’s Luc that said ‘win now’, who knows. However until things play out it’s difficult to say who gets to stay or go. I don’t think BLuc has to win with TMac but they have to show this team can become a contender in the near future, even if a coaching change is needed to get over the hump (which would definitely be their last coach unless they win).

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
They only puzzle people....because you can see a 16th of what goes on.......imagine going through life puzzled as hell because you don't have the ability to realize you aren't seeing the entire picture......not saying that TM is.....but he sure as hell sees a lot more than internet message board fans....

If the team was 20-38-9 instead of 38-20-9 most of the bitches, would probably be valid.....I don't understand how anyone is bitching about how this team is constructed/winning right now....unless the expectations are 82-0-0.....

Even if the expectations are winning a playoff round (good expectation) there are people bitching that we won't do it...and we haven't even f***ing got there.....figure that one out for me please....
This is normal fan activity to question coaching decisions. I see it in every sport in every message board. These 'bitches' many times are solid insights based on an understanding of the game, questioning things - its not saying, i know more than the coach in reality. It should always be understood that those putting themselves on the line (like TM) are always greater than those critiquing them.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
My point on WD was just my pedantic take that I don’t consider him a proper permanent coach of the team. In terms of how many coaches a GM should get, I don’t have a set number because how things evolve, who was available when hires are made, draft success etc all play a part. Given the faith and investment in TMac though I’d think that some success this year should be expected.

If they don’t get out of the 1st round I agree that everyone is under pressure. I won’t have a specific view unless that happens because context is key but yes you’d have to think jobs would be on the line. What we don’t know is who made decisions and set goalposts behind the scenes. So maybe Blake sets his own course, maybe it’s Luc that said ‘win now’, who knows. However until things play out it’s difficult to say who gets to stay or go. I don’t think BLuc has to win with TMac but they have to show this team can become a contender in the near future, even if a coaching change is needed to get over the hump (which would definitely be their last coach unless they win).
TMac is safe this year whether they get out of the first round or not. Kings are significantly ahead of the plan at this point…but he’ll definitely HAVE to take it to the next level a year from now.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Nah, Fiala's presence may have been more likely to have resulted in a regulation loss than a win on Saturday. The riskiest player on the roster on that ice? Almost a guaranteed short handed goal against with those backtracks and tricks at the blueline.

The team was okay, but the ice was godawful. You do better in those games by pounding it to the net and getting traffic, not fancying your way around the perimeter.

Are you saying the Kings were ia better position to win that game without their leading scorer then they were had he played?

The PP was noticeably worse without Fiala. I know you don’t value his type of players very much, but he is still the most offensively gifted player on the roster.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
TMac is safe this year whether they get out of the first round or not. Kings are significantly ahead of the plan at this point…but he’ll definitely HAVE to take it to the next level a year from now.

They are ahead of schedule because they gave up on the rebuild and traded for a bunch of veteran players to go for it with Doughty and Kopitar. We will see whether that works out or not on the long term. But it’s not like the rebuild has them at this level.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Fiala is the reason the Kings are in a playoff position. You’d be wise to put some respect on his name.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
They are ahead of schedule because they gave up on the rebuild and traded for a bunch of veteran players to go for it with Doughty and Kopitar. We will see whether that works out or not on the long term. But it’s not like the rebuild has them at this level.
Nobody cares ‘how’ they got here but you and your cast of pseudo-experts. The fact is they are here….TM didn’t build the team, he’s working with what he’s got. He’s safe…

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Nobody cares ‘how’ they got here but you and your cast of pseudo-experts. The fact is they are here….TM didn’t build the team, he’s working with what he’s got. He’s safe…
Are you related to tmac? You are obsessed with him. Its almost cult like. Hes your Jim Jones. Youd drink the koolaid for him.

• Haha
Reactions: Schrute farms

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Are you saying the Kings were ia better position to win that game without their leading scorer then they were had he played?

The PP was noticeably worse without Fiala. I know you don’t value his type of players very much, but he is still the most offensively gifted player on the roster.
No, I am saying that Fiala plays fast and loose with the puck in the best of conditions and that his strengths would have been mitigated by the awful ice on display - so much so that if he attempted his normal game that not would it not have worked, it would more likely have been a liability with the way he handles the puck in areas of the ice that are most dangerous to turnovers.

NONE of the offensive players thrived in that game, not even the guys who have been playing just as well as Fiala who don't risk as much as he does. So when that poster said definitively that the Kings missed Fiala on that game, I am saying hold on, that ain't the case.

That game was a one off, piss poor ice quality game that made high skill largely irrelevant and rewarded the grind. No reason to look for anything else or blame anyone. Not MacLellan, not Doughty, just one of those games that happens every now and then. Now the decision not to take the timeout and go with your top unit to try and win the game in favor of a pieced together patchwork second unit is most definitely something to criticize.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don’t disagree with you on TM, he has done the job asked of him.

But when you say a team is ahead of schedule it usually implies that they hit on their picks and are getting big contributions from many young players, not that they gave up on the rebuild and brought in six veteran players in 20 months.

But another unnecessary pot shot at people who don’t agree with you. I guess you think the forum would be better if it were just you and your fake news buddy TKF here making stuff up and calling everyone Ducks and Knights fans. I wonder why people who hate this stuff so much continue to post here.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I appreciate results, you should try it.
I dont hate him. You are just obsessed. You spend your entire day scrolling through a message board looking for posts about todd mclellan and try to make up witty replies that no one thinks are funny

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I dont hate him. You are just obsessed. You spend your entire day scrolling through a message board looking for posts about todd mclellan and try to make up witty replies that no one thinks are funny
Wow, that does sound really obsessive. I had no idea I came off that bad. I’ll try and be wittier.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
tenor.gif

Life's a lot better when you use the ignore button, y'all.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Bad idea.

predator-1.jpg

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You say that but it’s context 4-0 or a reverse sweep in the first round is one scenario where his job is at risk, if gets knocked out in games 7 after 4OT, with injuries to 11 & 8 it’s a completely different one. I don’t think any of us can make absolute statements at this point.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
You say that but it’s context 4-0 or a reverse sweep in the first round is one scenario where his job is at risk, if gets knocked out in games 7 after 4OT, with injuries to 11 & 8 it’s a completely different one. I don’t think any of us can make absolute statements at this point.
I'm pretty confident about it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad