GDT: 2022-23 season game 67 LA Kings vs Nashville Predators @7:30pm 3/11/23

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
This team just collected 11 points in 6 games and people are screaming for TM’s head. It never gets old…or does it?

Usually we disagree but today is the day.

No coach in the NHL will be fired, being 2nd in the Western Conference.
Yes, all of us know the reasons why we are up there but this is irrelevant to the ownership

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Kings had a real rough power play against Washington after Durzi went out...might have been Roy that got the assignment on that one but could have been Walker. Either way I new it wouldn't be good and it was horrible.

Sitting your PP2 QB after a very solid game is pretty stupid. T-Mac bet they could win the game anyways. If they did, Axl would tell everyone to stop complaining because of two points. Since they almost won, it is "11 points in six games". Regardless, even the best coaches makes questionable lineup decisions throughout the season but this one did seem to have a bit of hubris attached to it.

Is T-Mac a good coach? Yes. Is he a great coach? Probably not. Like everyone in the organization, some criticisms are definitely warranted and others are now. Where I'm at on the guy is basically what I've always thought of him: gives you a good regular season but doesn't have the in-game chops when it gets time for a series. He has been at the helm for some of the biggest choke jobs in NHL history and the choking has not been confined to just SJ: he choked hard in Edmonton against Anaheim and it was just last year that the Kings had two chances to win the series against Edmonton.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Kings had a real rough power play against Washington after Durzi went out...might have been Roy that got the assignment on that one but could have been Walker. Either way I new it wouldn't be good and it was horrible.

Sitting your PP2 QB after a very solid game is pretty stupid. T-Mac bet they could win the game anyways. If they did, Axl would tell everyone to stop complaining because of two points. Since they almost won, it is "11 points in six games". Regardless, even the best coaches makes questionable lineup decisions throughout the season but this one did seem to have a bit of hubris attached to it.

Is T-Mac a good coach? Yes. Is he a great coach? Probably not. Like everyone in the organization, some criticisms are definitely warranted and others are now. Where I'm at on the guy is basically what I've always thought of him: gives you a good regular season but doesn't have the in-game chops when it gets time for a series. He has been at the helm for some of the biggest choke jobs in NHL history and the choking has not been confined to just SJ: he choked hard in Edmonton against Anaheim and it was just last year that the Kings had two chances to win the series against Edmonton.
Most recent evidence of suspect in-game management would be v Nashville when gifted a PP with 3 min left, instead of calling a timeout to rest PP1 guys, he puts out PP2.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I know people say WD was hired to facilitate the tank, but that's just not based on any fact or reality other than the end result.

Stevens wasn't fired for the players playing too well. And the Kings didn't start selling until after they hired WD (actually, they still doubled down a bit by trading Pearson for the older rental in Hagelin). And if he was expected to be a tank commander, why didn't they keep him for another season or two while the Kings were still rebuilding?

I think it's easier to cope with the disaster of a hire to say that was all part of Blake's grand plan. But I don't think Blake hired WD with the intention of losing when he already had an underwhelming head coach.
WD was never a proper hire and they were always very guarded wrt how they characterised any potential future beyond that season. So yes had they gone on a tear maybe he sticks around however it never for one second appeared to be a permanent hire. Tank may be the wrong characterisation but he was only there until the ‘right’ hire, TMac, was available. We speculated a tonne on here at the time that TMac was the plan.

One of the weirdest moves they made in the beginning. It was obvious Willie wasn't a long term solution, so why bother. Outside of some disagreement or Stevens wanted out (which would be way out of character), not much make sense.

Maybe they just wanted to purge any links to the old guard as soon as possible, which would signal a rebuild/retool? That certainly was around the time I think it became clear to Blake/Luc that trying to extend the glory days wasn't going to work.
I agree with that. WD was never the long term plan so why not keep Stevens? Fair criticism.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Most recent evidence of suspect in-game management would be v Nashville when gifted a PP with 3 min left, instead of calling a timeout to rest PP1 guys, he puts out PP2.

As much bitching people around here do about PP1...this comment is just self serving bullshit....

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal

Said it all season long....TMac is good with pregame strategy and clearly a halfway decent guy. In Game mgmt is terrible and the inability to use his Timeouts in situation its clearly needed is a self inflicted wound. Roster decisions another weak spot- as discussed above jury is out if thats on Blake and GM Pressure or Tmac calling the shots. There really was no reason Spence should not have played against Nashville.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Not when PP2 has Walker as the QB and no Kaliyev.

Even then....people are bitching about Doughty and Kopitar on the PP.....so basically these guys would BITCH if he called timeout....to rest PP1 saying OMG they suck, they've had the majority and can't score......

And then BITCH when he doesn't take it and starts PP2.....

Just be honest with yourself, no matter what happened, if they didn't score, you were going to bitch about the decision being made.....(and in some cases, ESPECIALLY if they scored)

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
As much bitching people around here do about PP1...this comment is just self serving bullshit....
Nah.. PP1 has gotten much better.. in the game thread at the time it happened, i pointed out need timeout and PP1 out there as BigKing already pointed out no Durzi and I dont think PP2 entered the o-zone one time in that game previously.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Nah.. PP1 has gotten much better.. in the game thread at the time it happened, i pointed out need timeout and PP1 out there as BigKing already pointed out no Durzi and I dont think PP2 entered the o-zone one time in that game previously.

Yea, I saw it, thought it was as ridiculous then as I do now.....just didn't comment on it.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Even then....people are bitching about Doughty and Kopitar on the PP.....so basically these guys would BITCH if he called timeout....to rest PP1 saying OMG they suck, they've had the majority and can't score......

And then BITCH when he doesn't take it and starts PP2.....

Just be honest with yourself, no matter what happened, if they didn't score, you were going to bitch about the decision being made.....(and in some cases, ESPECIALLY if they scored)
I wasn't going to bitch about it. I actually haven't bitched about it. I just pointed out your bad faith argument since PP2 for this particular game is not the PP2 that people have been clamoring to see get more time.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yea, I saw it, thought it was as ridiculous then as I do now.....just didn't comment on it.
I think a lot of us are looking for signs that TMac is on the pulse of the game.. That particular juncture to me was a no-brainer to do a timeout and put out your best PP (for that game). Im guessing if you explained the scenario and made a poll on the main board where its not the usual suspects, you'd still be in the extreme minority on your take.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think a lot of us are looking for signs that TMac is on the pulse of the game.. That particular juncture to me was a no-brainer to do a timeout and put out your best PP (for that game). Im guessing if you explained the scenario and made a poll on the main board where its not the usual suspects, you'd still be in the extreme minority on your take.

As well as giving their top PK the breather, and PP1 wasn't close to being good that game...but yea...no, you win for sure.....makes sense to let the top PKer's and a backup to a backup to a backup goalie breathe.....

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
As well as giving their top PK the breather, and PP1 wasn't close to being good that game...but yea...no, you win for sure.....makes sense to let the top PKer's and a backup to a backup to a backup goalie breathe.....
Yes there's that risk like when the Islanders coach bailed us out after DD iced it in that game w like 30 secs left. But pp2 was so undermanned in the Nash game - no Durzi, no Kaliyev, and had no entries that i can remember - its a win to put out PP1 there.. 100%.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yes there's that risk like when the Islanders coach bailed us out after DD iced it in that game w like 30 secs left. But pp2 was so undermanned in the Nash game - no Durzi, no Kaliyev, and had no entries that i can remember - its a win to put out PP1 there.. 100%.

Neither did PP1, that's the point......3 PPG in the past 7 games or so....thinking TM doesn't have a feel for the game because he didn't put on an ineffective PP....that's just bitching to bitch....

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Neither did PP1, that's the point......3 PPG in the past 7 games or so....thinking TM doesn't have a feel for the game because he didn't put on an ineffective PP....that's just bitching to bitch....
So you are going on record as saying you'd rather see Walker, Danault, Iafallo, Moore and Byfield on a PP with 3 min left in a tie game than DD, Kopi, Kempe, Vilardi and Arvidsson? And you are hanging your hat on they didnt do well earlier in the game even if PP2 was worse.. really bad take.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
So you are going on record as saying you'd rather see Walker, Danault, Iafallo, Moore and Byfield on a PP with 3 min left in a tie game than DD, Kopi, Kempe, Vilardi and Arvidsson? And you are hanging your hat on they didnt do well earlier in the game even if PP2 was worse.. really bad take.

Considering those weren't the units.....I don't know.....Arvidsson was on PP2, Byfield was on PP1.....

And again, it didn't matter which unit was out there, both were bad.......but let's ignore that......

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Considering those weren't the units.....I don't know.....Arvidsson was on PP2, Byfield was on PP1.....

And again, it didn't matter which unit was out there, both were bad.......but let's ignore that......
Given that both units were not doing well, which group of players would you put your money on being more likely to perform there and under pressure? Sorry but im not buying it if you are taking Walker, Iafallo and co, over PP1.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Well one thing is for sure. Without Fiala in the line up. There is a big drop off because the Kings were terrible all around except for in net against the Predators.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Given that both units were not doing well, which group of players would you put your money on being more likely to perform there and under pressure? Sorry but im not buying it if you are taking Walker, Iafallo and co, over PP1.

Probably declined the penalty and punt.........I'm not saying I wouldn't take PP1, I am saying I wouldn't have wasted a time out given the conditions of both units.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
So, even if you consider WD to be a temporary coach (which is fine), why does BLuc get a third coach if the team were to disappoint in the playoffs?

Everyone agrees DL was in a playoff results or out situation in 2012, which was his 6th season. Why should Blake have different standards in his 6th?

If the Kings lose in round 1, Todd is gone but BLuc remain to choose a 3rd (or 4th) coach?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
So, even if you consider WD to be a temporary coach (which is fine), why does BLuc get a third coach if the team were to disappoint in the playoffs?

Everyone agrees DL was in a playoff results or out situation in 2012, which was his 6th season. Why should Blake have different standards in his 6th?

If the Kings lose in round 1, Todd is gone but BLuc remain to choose a 3rd (or 4th) coach?
No, not everyone agrees to that because there is no reason whatsoever to think that Lombardi was in any danger of losing his job.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Because you can easily look at the roster constructed, and come to the conclusion that Todd helped a ton, but they need a push to get over the edge....

It's nowhere near as linear as 6th year win or get out, or XXXX year YYYYY or get out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad