GDT: 2022-23 season game 64 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues @7:30pm 3/4/23

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
That’s why I am surprised we didn’t offload redundancy during the TDL
Guys like Walker and Durzi - not a lot of contenders would want them (Walker obvious) and Durzi would only be depth for your PP. Has to happen in the summer where a package can be made.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
For starters maybe Todd should stop throwing him out there for the second most minutes on D in the entire league. But that would be an adjustment, and he doesn’t do those.
in postgame last night, they asked DD how he handles all those minutes, he said he knows how not to expend too much energy. Thats my concern - when I watch him, he rarely moves with speed, mostly sheds forecheckers then makes a pass skating about 1/2 speed. Rarely does he create something using speed. With Gavrikov/Roy its time to lower DD minutes offload to 2nd pair.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Guys like Walker and Durzi - not a lot of contenders would want them (Walker obvious) and Durzi would only be depth for your PP. Has to happen in the summer where a package can be made.
I think if the Kings can offload Quick then they can offload them. Their contracts aren’t ridiculous at all.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think if the Kings can offload Quick then they can offload them. Their contracts aren’t ridiculous at all.
They offloaded Quick using a 1st... same kind of thing would need to happen to move those guys at the deadline (since they dont fill a need for a contender). In the summer, a team might find Durzi appealing since he has a low cap hit. Probably have to move Walker separately since who needs two 3rd pair RD at the same time. Walker needs to go no matter what... so worst case waiver and ends up in the A (with more burried cap) or a buyout.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
in postgame last night, they asked DD how he handles all those minutes, he said he knows how not to expend too much energy. Thats my concern - when I watch him, he rarely moves with speed, mostly sheds forecheckers then makes a pass skating about 1/2 speed. Rarely does he create something using speed. With Gavrikov/Roy its time to lower DD minutes offload to 2nd pair.
Yup totally. He’s always in conservation mode and it’s pretty dumb

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Yea he was like well I dont have to try that hard all the time haha!

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
They offloaded Quick using a 1st... same kind of thing would need to happen to move those guys at the deadline (since they dont fill a need for a contender). In the summer, a team might find Durzi appealing since he has a low cap hit. Probably have to move Walker separately since who needs two 3rd pair RD at the same time. Walker needs to go no matter what... so worst case waiver and ends up in the A (with more burried cap) or a buyout.
Lol what did they also get with that first let’s not forget that first was not for Quick

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Lol what did they also get with that first let’s not forget that first was not for Quick
Thats my point we paid them to take JQ salary off our hands...in addition to the value of Gav and Korpi.. we would likewise have to pay to take Walker or Durzi off our hands at the deadline..since the buyers are looking for playoffs pieces.. now during the summer its a different story when teams are looking to fill basic roster holes.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Thats my point we paid them to take JQ salary off our hands...in addition to the value of Gav and Korpi.. we would likewise have to pay to take Walker or Durzi off our hands at the deadline..since the buyers are looking for playoffs pieces.. now during the summer its a different story when teams are looking to fill basic roster holes.

I don't think it's so much paying someone to take them off your hands as much as it is just making the cap work. Quick didn't have to be included at all, CLB certainly would have traded Gavrikov and Kopri for a first, that's probably under market value.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I don't think it's so much paying someone to take them off your hands as much as it is just making the cap work. Quick didn't have to be included at all, CLB certainly would have traded Gavrikov and Kopri for a first, that's probably under market value.
Yes it was to make the money work but JQ wasnt a piece they needed, they arent contending and he didnt hold much value was flipped for a 7th to VGK. The point i was making was that moving Walker and Durzi at the deadline was not a simple thing to do without giving up another asset.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
That’s why I am surprised we didn’t offload redundancy during the TDL
No surprise.
GM's are like a union.
They want picks not our redundants and they don't want to do Blake and a rising team with a promising prospect pool any favors.
Last night's mistake with Durzi is highlighted because it happend on his strength the PP.
It is fixable, it happend because he overreached by trying to make a pass over the guys stick in the danger zone by the offensive blue line, instead of whipping the puck in deep.
The 3rd pairing conundrum is legitimate.
Durzi paired with Edler or Bjo is the created weakness after strengthening the 2nd pair.
We still have only 3 LD as Bjo was sent down.
The only alternative is scratch Edler and put Durzi back on the left the exact problem Blake sought to solve.
Maybe Gavri should be paired with Walker instead or you can try Walker with Durzi on 3rd pair.
Still scary. Every option is Halloween no matter how you try to re-calibrate it.
Spence was shown up in the playoffs last year and we are in the race already.
Tmac is not eager to use Spence and Blake is structuring salaries via ELC's.
Edler will be gone next year but for now he is blocking Bjornfot and Moverare, his potential replacements.
The Kings are in a complex 3rd pair pickle with an improved second pair.
However Durzi has had offensive impact at times which he has toned that down in an effort to improve defensively.
Guys here want to project guys that TMac does not want to use from the AHL and OHL.
That is not happening until one of these posters is hired as the head coach.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Awwww….look at that circle jerk between Herby and SR10. Gotta console each other after exposure, right? Yeah. And by the way, I ASKED if you wanted to build the Kings like your beloved Knights. Whose comprehension is lacking? :thumbu:

Yeah, imagine that, people don’t like having someone say they said things they never did, or accuse them of being Ducks or Knights fans. Which is all you do on these boards, in addition to complaining that everyone complains to much. It’s a wonder why you even post here. I guess it must just be the kick out of repeatedly making stuff up, liars do love to lie.

And @kinghock why on Earth do you keep liking his posts? Makes it seem like you co-sign the nonsense like calling longtime posters fans of other teams. Not the greatest look for you, sad.

I think he continues to cement himself as the greatest player in franchise history. They can extend him in July, I wonder if they give him two years after next season. He just might be the Kings version of Bergeron. He looked gassed at the end of last season and a lot of people were worried, but man what a season he’s had.

Also, I would rather keep Spence or Clarke away from the AHL. It is just so...goon heavy? Guys wanting to make crushing hits to stay in the league and little being done from a league perspective to change that. Got to witness Turcotte career change from it. Keep Clarke away from that bush league nonsense.

There is no reason Clarke has to be in the AHL next season. Sanderson spent no time in the AHL, neither did Power, Hughes is unlikely to as well, these are comparable defenseman making the jump without “learning the system” and “paying their dues”

But when one of the guys in charge of development says “only McDavid types can make the jump without AHL time” his fate is probably sealed for next season. It also pushes decisions on Durzi and Walker down the road. On the bright side, at least Clarke will be 20 with dominant seasons under his belt at the major junior level. Had he been an NCAA prospect he’d have spent this entire season down there this year, the CHL/NHL agreement atleast saved that from happening.

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Yes it was to make the money work but JQ wasnt a piece they needed, they arent contending and he didnt hold much value was flipped for a 7th to VGK. The point i was making was that moving Walker and Durzi at the deadline was not a simple thing to do without giving up another asset.

For sure, not many middling guys get traded. It's almost always top guys and AHL deals. The cap certainly has added a lot of moving parts to deals that weren't there before.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I think he continues to cement himself as the greatest player in franchise history. They can extend him in July, I wonder if they give him two years after next season. He just might be the Kings version of Bergeron. He looked gassed at the end of last season and a lot of people were worried, but man what a season he’s had.
I think you wait to extend him. He's not going to leave the Kings by his choice. See how next season goes. He's not going to have a better one than this one I'd guess. No reason to sign him when his value is at its highest.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
But when one of the guys in charge of development says “only McDavid types can make the jump without AHL time” his fate is probably sealed for next season. It also pushes decisions on Durzi and Walker down the road. On the bright side, at least Clarke will be 20 with dominant seasons under his belt at the major junior level. Had he been an NCAA prospect he’d have spent this entire season down there this year, the CHL/NHL agreement atleast saved that from happening.

Well, given what Clarke is doing in juniors he's close to a McDavid level as a defenseman is going to get. Right now he's tied for the 3rd best season ever as far as points per game. They certainly can't use that excuse.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Paging @Kurrilino .

• Haha
Reactions: Kurrilino

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well, given what Clarke is doing in juniors he's close to a McDavid level as a defenseman is going to get. Right now he's tied for the 3rd best season ever as far as points per game. They certainly can't use that excuse.

Haha.

I can already write the script, don't worry.

"he had a dominant season in juniors but he didnt' develop defensively how we would like him to check at the pro level, so we're going to have him do that in the AHL."

Bookmark this shit.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Clarke Is not McDavid, but he is very good, on par with the defenseman I listed. But when Murray made those comments it was basically saying everyone has to go through the AHL, short of the best player in the world. That is their organizational belief, it’s been shown time and time again and until they show otherwise, you have to just assume that is where he is headed. They went against the traditional path with QB and Turcotte so is it fair to assume they will here?

And as far as similar d-man who never saw AHL time and did fine.

Makar, Q Hughes, Power, Fox, Sanderson, Chychrun, Heiskanen, S Jones, Karlsson, Doughty, Fowler

There is no reason at all that Clarke should be required to be down there to “pay his dues” or “learn the system”. The Kings will need another puck mover, especially with Drew being a year older and starting to slow down a bit.

Last edited:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

I would say that this a little bit optimistic.

Kopitar is carried by the 2 young players who made the biggest steps forward
while playing against AHL teams.
Now with the whole Western division rebuilding except 4 teams, his points are even more inflated.
And let's say he hit his projected 74 points, this is still not good for a $10 mil player.

In playoff, he has to keep players like McDavid or MacKinnon in check and this is where he will go down
as usual

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I know I'm a little slow, but I'm not understanding this statement. Please elaborate.
Kopitar started scoring when Kempe started scoring.
Also Kopitar benefits from the PP being carried by Kempe and Vilardi playing while benefiting from 80% of the division rebuilding now.

Let him play with Iafallo and Arvidson again and see what happens.
I will absolutely eat crow if he regains his shape from 10 years ago as a 35 year old and leads us to a cup, especially with your guys goaltending and LD adressed.
But for now i am living in reality and look behind the reasons why he is reviving the form of a 2nd line center.

I will be impressed, if he scores 4 goals in every game against the Playoff Oilers, not just once against a declining Winnipeg Team.
If he does that, he deserves $10 Mill per year

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Also Kopitar benefits from the PP being carried by Kempe and Vilardi playing while benefiting from 80% of the division rebuilding now.

I will absolutely eat crow if he regains his shape from 10 years ago as a 35 year old and leads us to a cup, especially with your guys goaltending and LD adressed.
But for now i am living in reality and look behind the reasons why he is reviving the form of a 2nd line center.

I will be impressed, if he scores 4 goals in every game against the Playoff Oilers, not just once against a declining Winnipeg Team.
Why do you struggle with the working dynamics of pro sports contracts? Regardless of what the guy is getting paid, he's our #1 center -- and he's doing pretty good job at it. Would we be a better team today if Kopitar fell off a cliff .. no. So why do much emphasis on what the org agreed to pay the guy per year?

Quick sure the f*** wasn't earning his 6-mil this season, but look at all binky babies who were crying about him getting traded.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016

"Player does well when he plays with good players, more news at 11."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad