GDT: 2022-23 season game 64 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues @7:30pm 3/4/23

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well, at least now we have TWO reliable pairings instead of one, a time bomb, and a never-was. have to figure out that third pairing somehow going into the playoffs but at least now it can be minimized.

Korpi is awesome--but he has some Quick tendencies. Copley is so quiet in net, Korpi can explode but there were a LOT of times last night where after making the first save a LOT of net was visible, i have to imagne a lot of his save % on bad teams had to deal with rebounds...fortunately the Kings are A top team if not THE top team in slot shot attempts against as I recall.

I'm very glad I was bullish on Vilardi all these years, I'm doubling down on that for QB. Take that for what it's worth.

Kaliyev has not been the same since returning.

Fun freaking game. I'm still hung over.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Posted this at the beginning of the thread but basically pick 2:

Gavrikov
Orlov
Ghost
Dumolin
Dunn
Graves
Soucy
Mikkola

And work on moving salary elsewhile

The $$$ moving should/will come from forwards as we have infinity in Ontario knocking on the door for exactly this purpose
But signing UFA's usually doesn't work out that great because you have to overpay to get them, there's already a lot of wear and tear on them, and their motivation is lessoned because this is their final big contract.

We got very lucky with Mitchell and Scuderi. Those types of signings are outliers.

We sign 2 of those aforementioned players and you're probably allocating 9M in cap space to them.

Reactions: Telos

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
But signing UFA's usually doesn't work out that great because you have to overpay to get them, there's already a lot of wear and tear on them, and their motivation is lessoned because this is their final big contract.

We got very lucky with Mitchell and Scuderi. Those types of signings are outliers.

We sign 2 of those aforementioned players and you're probably allocating 9M in cap space to them.

There's no easy solution really with the corner Blake painted us into.

The other option is actually f***ing play Bjornfot but they don't seem interested in that

so that leaves us with a high leverage trade, Fagemo + Durzi + 1st for ???? for a guy who will likely command some salary anyway, and everything points to us having to move a forward this offseason for both salary and roster spot purposes.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I think you pray that Gav's wife absolutely falls in love with LA and how supportive the Kings wives group has been for her and her family. Couple that with a good Playoffs run and maybe you can re-sign Gav for a competitive but not outrageous contract. One of $4M+ AAV Kings forwards approaching 30 and Walker need to go though. Really have to think about adding a sweetener to get rid of Cal's contract as well.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I worry about Doughty's mobility. You can really see it in decline this year.

4 more years. He's 34 next season.

This is why I can see Blake's argument for moving a 1st this year. Kopitar and Doughty are both playing well, and the West is wide open. How many more opportunities are you going to get like that?

• Love
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I think you get one one them (hopefully Gav). It'll require AI (or Arvi) going, but that's no big deal imho.

Then Bjornfot is the other LHD. If the Org thinks TB is not the guy, then you make a hockey trade for some LHD that can be a 3rd pairing guy. Assuming you re-sign Korpi, that's the only open spot left that needs assets thrown at to fix (if you go that route). With TB, Durzi and all the forward prospects we have, filling that bottom pairing LHD should not be that hard. But first & foremost, i'd prefer to fill that with TB.

Reactions: kinghock

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
And man, it seems like everyone is just done with Durzi. I still like him, he just needs the right partner.
I think he has taken a major step back all season, at every level of the game.

He wasn't great defensively, ever, but last season he had better focus and identify dangerous players.

Offensively, he's putting up more raw numbers,but the team itself is much more offensive. Specifically, though, he gets tunnel vision, with the puck.

His physical/emotional engagement has dropped the most. He was mucking it up with players who looked at teammates sideways last year. This year, he just doesn't do that. And many were saying last year "wow, his defense sucks, but the balls he brings to the team..."

He's just not doing the things that made his shortcomings tolerable.

I would just feel more comfortable if Spence and Bjornfot were in over Durzi and Edler, as both younger players are, overall, better.

Rod Auger

Mar 5, 2023
A gif of Gabe nodding aggressively is badly needed.
24155569-56C7-4949-BF5A-2DE964C8C932.gif

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
And man, it seems like everyone is just done with Durzi. I still like him, he just needs the right partner.
I like the idea of Durzi more than I have ever actually liked Durzi. Of course, I've always been an opponent of Durzi and have always advocated trading him since about 15-20 games into his NHL career last season after the injury call-up and both before and after the playoffs; but, I like the idea of his offensive play and the feistiness that he has shown, especially during the Edmonton series.

After the extension, I was content that he remain on the team, but I am hoping they deal him before the deal expires. I just feel like his value is always going to be moderate or low and I want them to get moderate value out of him while they still can before his liabilities continued to develop and are advertised in neon everywhere while on his present discounted/RFA contract to maximize value. He could be a very valuable trade piece and even land us a #1 LD in a package. His flaws have always far outweighed his benefit in my opinion and he is on the cursed right side which is very hard to earn/justify given our personnel situation.

When you have Doughty, Clarke, Spence, Roy, and Grans all on the right side and pretty much all but Grans (though he may be ready for a cup of coffee) are perfectly fine and able to be out there then that leaves little room or tolerance for a guy like Durzi. The Kings virtually have no need to put up with his flaws. They literally have everything they need without him, especially with Gavrikov. There's nowhere for Durzi to truly play, no need to deal with his liability, and forcing him on the left makes those liabilities worse and amplifies his deficiencies.

Right now he just came off a great season and is having an offensively great/ defensively 'bleh' season this year all while being on a sweetheart contract as an RFA. I think his value is never going to be much better as I don't see him rebounding his defensive IQ and we have similar offensive options behind him in Clarke and Spence that are less of a liability. If I were Blake, of course, Clarke would have been playing the full year, but I would have traded Durzi last off-season or this deadline.

I am just hoping for those future pairings to materialize sooner and for Blake and TMac to stop holding onto chips they are afraid to lose such as Walker and Edler. We've had better options this entire time. Bjornfot and Moverare are kinda getting robbed at this point.

Soon it should be:

Doughty-Anderson
Clarke-Gavrikov/Trade/Signing/Roy
Spence-Bjornfot
Roy-Moverare (to be used to fill out the pairings or balance based on injury)

I like Roy, but all of our solid offensive options we have are on the right side and I think Roy shines on the right side. Unless they trade Spence, then I feel he needs to be on the left side or in reserve.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Re D absolutely have to move on from Durzi, and pencil in Spence as 3LD/Clarke 3RD.. in fact Spence should be working on that now in Ontario. Re money you have 5.8mil off the books from JQ. and 1.3 from Lemieux, and 1mil from phaneuf (so ~8mil). Korpisalo will prob accept a little raise on his 1.3. so lets say 2mil for 2 years for him. 4.5.-5.5 fro Gavrikov for 5 years (or whatever). Now you have to sign Vilardi and Kupari. Pencil in some of Durzi money for Kupari .. still need 4-5 mil in cap space for Vilardi. I liked the idea earlier that you move Durzi and Iafallo to Buffalo. Then you have to decide what to do with all the expiring ELCs: Bjornfot, Fagemo, Thomas etc.. not sure what the plan is there and where the money is coming from except the cap going up some.

Last edited:
Reactions: kinghock and Telos

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Bjornfot will be valuable for salary alone.

He wasn't great defensively, ever, but last season he had better focus and identify dangerous players.

Offensively, he's putting up more raw numbers,but the team itself is much more offensive. Specifically, though, he gets tunnel vision, with the puck.

His physical/emotional engagement has dropped the most. He was mucking it up with players who looked at teammates sideways last year. This year, he just doesn't do that. And many were saying last year "wow, his defense sucks, but the balls he brings to the team..."

I would just feel more comfortable if Spence and Bjornfot were in over Durzi and Edler, as both younger players are, overall, better.

He had that one great stretch about a month ago, about two weeks long maybe? He was making me think about why would we even bother offering for Chychrun, he was playing so well. Before and after that he was merely passable.

I really think he's fragile between the ears, he doesn't do well with adversity at all. He falls apart for a while after big mistakes, and so on. His game last night was awful, and at first glance, it's "well, Edler." But I don't think that's the case. The addition of a crazy solid Gavrikov and dropping to the 3rd line would be mental hurdles for him, and if things didn't go well off the bat they were going to spiral.

He always struck me as the type to put pressure on himself and not just let things come to him naturally. He knows he's prone to mistakes and I honestly think he overthinks and worries about his spot in the lineup if he screws up. His confidence is like a roller coaster, and his play completely mirrors that.

Reactions: King'sPawn

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Pretty tough win , it was the kind of game I thought could happen after Thursdays game. Start strong then let them dictate the game off and on. Saw a bit of the good and bad Grundy.. good goal followed by a really bad penalty that kind changed the game around for a while. Can't take lazy penalties like that and expect to stay in the line up. Valardi's goal was just sick. The new guys seem to be fitting in well. Korpos mask looks like he picked it up at the Team LA store and put his number on it. . :laugh:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I just want you to know I appreciate this every single time :laugh:

Posted this at the beginning of the thread but basically pick 2:

Gavrikov
Orlov
Ghost
Dumolin
Dunn
Graves
Soucy
Mikkola

And work on moving salary elsewhile

The $$$ moving should/will come from forwards as we have infinity in Ontario knocking on the door for exactly this purpose
Watch them play Clarke in his offside with Roy and then pair whatever LHD signs with Spence/Durzi..

I say that about Clarke because I remember him saying he feels confident playing either side and the Kings playing him there in the preseason…

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I don't see any room for Durzi in the near future. If they're going to play a defenseman who isn't good at actually defending yet, you may as well play Clarke who has way higher upside both ways. Clarke's offensive tools are just ridiculous.

Spence has been a consistently good point producer and solid defender in Ontario and looked really good with the big club last year before the playoffs. He didn't rack up as many points as Durzi did, but I felt a lot more comfortable with him out on the ice. Someone who can bring offense but isn't high risk/ high event.

Package Durzi as the sweetener when trying to get rid of another player. Hopefully there's some team out there looking for a power play quarterback. Just burn all the tape of his boneheaded decisions in the offensive zone.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
It’s all about getting max value. It was apparent (IMO at least) that there was not a high end piece there with him and there would have been a better shot finding that with a second 1st in 2020 to go along with QB. But in fairness, teams very rarely move someone that quickly, they usually go down with the ship.

I agree that Spence is ready, I just wish it were replacing Walker. I just think people magnify Durzi’s mistakes and don’t give him enough credit for the good things he does. We will miss him if/when he’s gone.

You really start to miss something when it's gone. However, we know a good replacement (or two) for a third pair RHD. Durzi could get 2x2nd round pair and we would instantly have Spence or Clarke to replace. That's decent asset management and an ability to recover some of the draft capital we have given away.

Also, I would rather keep Spence or Clarke away from the AHL. It is just so...goon heavy? Guys wanting to make crushing hits to stay in the league and little being done from a league perspective to change that. Got to witness Turcotte career change from it. Keep Clarke away from that bush league nonsense.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Durzi just has nothing to offer anymore. He makes good offensive plays every other game but he’s good for at least one goal against a game. That just doesn’t stack up.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Durzi just has nothing to offer anymore. He makes good offensive plays every other game but he’s good for at least one goal against a game. That just doesn’t stack up.
It doesnt. I dont see what the case is for Durzi when you have Clarke about to kick the door in to the roster next year...that has all of Durzi's offensive upside and more plus size and a better defensive ceiling. Then there is also Spence who is a much better all around defender and solid offense.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Watch them play Clarke in his offside with Roy and then pair whatever LHD signs with Spence/Durzi..

I say that about Clarke because I remember him saying he feels confident playing either side and the Kings playing him there in the preseason…
He’s got the skillset to do it. As you say first and foremost it’s about how comfortable he is, that way he will make the right plays. His IQ is high which is key for playing offside D.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I worry about Doughty's mobility. You can really see it in decline this year.

4 more years. He's 34 next season.

This is why I can see Blake's argument for moving a 1st this year. Kopitar and Doughty are both playing well, and the West is wide open. How many more opportunities are you going to get like that?
For starters maybe Todd should stop throwing him out there for the second most minutes on D in the entire league. But that would be an adjustment, and he doesn’t do those.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It doesnt. I dont see what the case is for Durzi when you have Clarke about to kick the door in to the roster next year...that has all of Durzi's offensive upside and more plus size and a better defensive ceiling. Then there is also Spence who is a much better all around defender and solid offense.
That’s why I am surprised we didn’t offload redundancy during the TDL

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad