fighting a dinosaur.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 2
  • dinosaur-rodeo-15492143.jpg
    dinosaur-rodeo-15492143.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 2

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
After Kopitar and Quick were drafted, it took 7 years before the Kings won a playoff series.

Building up a roster takes a long time, and usually spans multiple GMs and coaches.

In Kopitar's rookie season the top 5 scorers were 24, 24, 19, 30 and 22. In his sophomore season the top 5 scorers were 20, 25, 23, 22 and 25. His 3rd season the top 5 scorers were 21, 26, 24, 31 and 26. They made the playoffs the following season with a top 5 in scoring that was 22, 20, 25, 33 and 27.

This season the top 5 scorers are 26, 35, 26, 29 and 29. It's just a different progression, especially because Kopitar joined the team at 19 and was immediately an impact player, finishing 3rd in team scoring his rookie season and 1st the rest of the way. The team as constructed doesn't have 7 seasons to wait to win a playoff round.

In the playoffs...not reg season.

Do you seriously not remember 2012?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
In Kopitar's rookie season the top 5 scorers were 24, 24, 19, 30 and 22. In his sophomore season the top 5 scorers were 20, 25, 23, 22 and 25. His 3rd season the top 5 scorers were 21, 26, 24, 31 and 26. They made the playoffs the following season with a top 5 in scoring that was 22, 20, 25, 33 and 27.

This season the top 5 scorers are 26, 35, 26, 29 and 29. It's just a different progression, especially because Kopitar joined the team at 19 and was immediately an impact player, finishing 3rd in team scoring his rookie season and 1st the rest of the way. The team as constructed doesn't have 7 seasons to wait to win a playoff round.

Do you seriously not remember 2012?
Unless I can’t count (entirely possible), I see the Kings record as 21-22 from 1/1/12 to end of Reg season. You are really dreaming bruh.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Unless I can’t count (entirely possible), I see the Kings record as 21-22 from 1/1/12 to end of Reg season. You are really dreaming bruh.

Sutter's first game coaching was December 22nd 2011, from then to the end of the season the Kings had the 7th best points percentage. They had the best CF%, 2nd best SF% and best xGF%. I'm not dreaming, I remember the Kings calling up Nolan and King at Sutter's request and I remember how dominant that team was after he arrived.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Sutter's first game coaching was December 22nd 2011, from then to the end of the season the Kings had the 7th best points percentage. They had the best CF%, 2nd best SF% and best xGF%. I'm not dreaming, I remember the Kings calling up Nolan and King at Sutter's request and I remember how dominant that team was after he arrived.
Id say that was 75% due to JQ - his Vezina season that went to Lundquist...i dont know how many games he bailed them out 1-0, 2-1... at least thats how I remember it.. will have to look it up now

Reactions: Surf Nutz

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Id say that was 75% due to JQ - his Vezina season that went to Lundquist...i dont know how many games he bailed them out 1-0, 2-1... at least thats how I remember it.. will have to look it up now

Quick was fantastic and it did take a while for the Kings offense to turn on, but the stretch from when Sutter took over the Kings gave up just 981 shots which was best in the league. I will always remember the left wing breakout and the oppressive forecheck Sutter brought that was so different from the Murray teams.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Uhhh lol they barely got into the playoffs. Talented yes, but the best team in the NHL only when it mattered

From the Carter trade onward, the Kings were unequivocally the best team in the league, not only in record but in all important underlying statistics.

Every analyst who was actually paying attention to post deadline trends picked the Kings to beat the Canucks. The rest is history.

This “the Kings snuck into the playoffs and got hot at the right time” is pure revisionist history. The Sutter hire and Carter trade fundamentally changed the makeup of the team, and that quickly became evident in all the important statistics.

The Kings were a top team in the league after the trade deadline that year, and it was no accident they won that Cup in the manner they did.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kings were first in the Pacific and third in the Western conference with two games remaining in the season. Sure, they ended up the eighth seed in 2012, but let’s not pretend like they snuck into the playoffs. The closest team behind them was Calgary with 90 points, followed by Dallas with 89. The Kings had 95, the Sharks 96, and the Coyotes 97. The Coyotes finished out the year on a 5 game win streak, and the Sharks on a 4 game win streak.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I don't really agree with this interpretation.

As soon as Blake took over the Kings stopped trading away futures. Kovalchuk was a way to add a player without giving up futures. I was completely fine with that signing because they were holding on to all their picks.

Dion was swapping one bad contract for another. I have no problem with that move either.

I don't really like Luc to be honest. But as soon as BLuc took over the Kings started building again.

What?

Blake and Luc literally say “we think this team can continue competing for Stanley Cups” during their first press conference.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It's too convenient to throw out things like '6th season, 3 playoff wins in 5 years'...we are obviously losing a lot of context there, but what else is new to this group.

Blake inherited DL's mess and tried to squeeze what he could out of it before blowing the thing up. So in reality, this is year 4 of the 'rebuild' that had the Kings making the playoffs in year 3 and taking EDM to seven games -- not so bad.

I was not initially a fan of Blake taking over at all -- not to mention he had zero 'head' GM experience. With that said, he's definitely grown on my in the last few years and I've extremely impressed with his trades and ability to hold on to the youth and allow them to grow.

At this point, I believe he's earned his 3-year extension that started this season and I see him going nowhere unless the Kings severely fall off the cliff.
I think most of this is pretty fair, but the two major holes LD and goal have been issues for a while which is where it’s fair to be frustrated. Equally there are questionable deployments with the roster.

I think it ultimately comes down to 2 questions. Has Blake dealt with the two issues and is that good enough? No, even if there may be mitigation because it’s not that easy. Do I hate Blake, no, because on balance he’s done a good job but here he has fallen short.

The second one: Is TMac getting the best out of what is available? You think yes, others think no. We have the same arguments about deployment constantly. I read that we bitch after every loss, but let’s face it the same complaints happen after wins but with less emotion.

FWIW, I think right now he’s got the forward deployment about right but did not earlier in the season. Byfield to LW was inspired. As for the D there’s no excuse not playing Bjornfot every game as it’ll balance the lineup. He then needs to use his man management skills on whomever on the right misses out.

There can be little debate about in game adjustments.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Definitely should have had the Vezina but the team switched it up after Sutter arrived. If Quick hadn’t been so good we’d have been out of the Playoffs long before Sutter arrived. Both played huge roles (as did Carter arriving).

They aren’t mutually exclusive reasons.

From the Carter trade onward, the Kings were unequivocally the best team in the league, not only in record but in all important underlying statistics.

Every analyst who was actually paying attention to post deadline trends picked the Kings to beat the Canucks. The rest is history.

This “the Kings snuck into the playoffs and got hot at the right time” is pure revisionist history. The Sutter hire and Carter trade fundamentally changed the makeup of the team, and that quickly became evident in all the important statistics.

The Kings were a top team in the league after the trade deadline that year, and it was no accident they won that Cup in the manner they did.
Yep. I was expecting WCF at a minimum and was watching every game until 6am live. I’m not sure anyone expected the juggernaut run in terms of W/L record but we were always going deep (said the Priest to the…… ).

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
What?

Blake and Luc literally say “we think this team can continue competing for Stanley Cups” during their first press conference.
In fairness I’ve said all along I always felt that year year was driven by directives over their heads. That’s why they only made the types of moves they did. I’ve always said that and the Muzz trade was when Blake finally got the green light. I’m sure he always actually wanted to rebuild. Perhaps that year was about getting the vets on board or whatever it was, because I never felt he was really going for it or really believed what he was saying.

I am certain it was similar for Dean, there was a little time of band aids being applied before he got the green light to tear it down. I remember an interview with him to that effect but my brain was full of MS holes at the time so don’t quote me on that 😂

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
More TMac examples for you... Kings on 2 game winning streak and inexplicably decided to roll with 7 dmen against Dallas, which now also happens to be Clarkes 9th game, meaning 1 more game burns the elc deal.

More recently over the last 3 games- Kings get a Win in Florida; Tmac says he wants more energy and plays Edler and Lemiuex who dont provide energy losing in Tampa; and then repeats the same losing roster to choke the lead in Carolina. I know ive only been watching the game since 1987, but dont ever recall a coach so willing to change a winning lineup, and unwilling to change a losing one.

1675435742846.png

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
I call bullshit on that.

Axl is right on this one....Kings beating the Canucks was a huge upset. Very Few thought the Kings had any chance against the canucks who won the presidents trophy for most regular season points and lost to the bruins in the finals the previous year.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
More TMac examples for you... Kings on 2 game winning streak and inexplicably decided to roll with 7 dmen against Dallas, which now also happens to be Clarkes 9th game, meaning 1 more game burns the elc deal.

More recently over the last 3 games- Kings get a Win in Florida; Tmac says he wants more energy and plays Edler and Lemiuex who dont provide energy losing in Tampa; and then repeats the same losing roster to choke the lead in Carolina. I know ive only been watching the game since 1987, but dont ever recall a coach so willing to change a winning lineup, and unwilling to change a losing one.

View attachment 645313
3 games in 4 nights and you are confused why they went with 7 dmen? Really?

I'm guessing if the Kings had a competent coach, they'd be 53-0 right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad