GDT: 2022-23 season game 52 LA Kings vs Tampa Bay Lightning @4:00pm 1/28/23

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
If you have to go to bat for him every time he plays maybe he just is playing badly regardless of the rest of the team. Sure plays by Walker Edler and Durzi didnt do him any favors.
But that Perry goal was the only one that wasnt stoppable. The first couple came at a time that took wind out of the teams sail. That affects how the team plays the rest of the game and scoring more than 2 on Tampa on a back to back aint easy.
I dont know why you either cant admit Quick is playing badly? Or do you really think he looked good out there tonight?
Quick should not be in goal for Kings anymore unless they deliberately want to lose games.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
This game should be a case study for everyone who thinks the Kings are just one good goaltender away from serious contention.
No one thinks that. At the same time, they need another goalie besides Copley to help them win games. This team hasn't won a game with Quick since Dec. 1st against the Coyotes. He stopped 18 of 21 shots, which is .857 SV%(that's just okay).

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
This game should be a case study for everyone who thinks the Kings are just one good goaltender away from serious contention.

Well, with Copley, they are 15-3 and also have dearly missed Vilardi and Moore...to an extent, Kaliyev.
It's time to move the largely ineffective (last 2+ weeks) Iafallo down to LW3, as it is also PLAIN CRIMINAL
to put your most talented forward, Fialla on the ice with Lizotte and JAD. Fiala makes plays and Lizotte cannot finish
and should be cemented on line 4, forever. JAD is doing okay, but Fiala is a TOP 30 forward in the NHL and
must play with better talent, period.

Since line 2 has been stale, move Fiala to line 2 and AI to line 3. Remove Lemieux and get Turcotte
back in there as well...and then probably remove Fagemo and Turcotte, once Moore and Vilardi are back.

The Kings should be buyers at the trade deadline, if the right player is there, as long as not a rental.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Well, with Copley, they are 15-3 and also have dearly missed Vilardi and Moore...to an extent, Kaliyev.
It's time to move the largely ineffective (last 2+ weeks) Iafallo down to LW3, as it is also PLAIN CRIMINAL
to put your most talented forward, Fialla on the ice with Lizotte and JAD. Fiala makes plays and Lizotte cannot finish
and should be cemented on line 4, forever. JAD is doing okay, but Fiala is a TOP 30 forward in the NHL and
must play with better talent, period.

Since line 2 has been stale, move Fiala to line 2 and AI to line 3. Remove Lemieux and get Turcotte
back in there as well...and then probably remove Fagemo and Turcotte, once Moore and Vilardi are back.

The Kings should be buyers at the trade deadline, if the right player is there, as long as not a rental.

You neuter Fiala by doing that, you don't put Fiala and Arvidsson on the same line, if anything, move Kupari up to that wing, his size/speed will do well, but Iafallo in JADs spot, move JAD to center Fagemo/Lemieux,Turcotte etc....

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Bad goaltending doesn’t fix the Kings being dramatically outplayed.

The only goals the Kings scored tonight were soft/lucky/whatever floats your boat, and Tampa found a way to not let the momentum slip away from them because of it.

Quick was bad, but the team in front of him wasn’t exactly firing on all cylinders. The Walker/Edler pair in particular were horrible.
Again, as I’ve said, if you play competitive sports you know a team isn’t going to go balls out with a bad goalie in net because there’s no point to expend energy when you’re most likely going to lose even if you outwork the other team.

Reactions: funky

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
My favorite part of this debacle goal was Brian Engblum openly mocking the the Kings defense leaving this guy alone in front.

where's the 5th TB player?

Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 10.36.08 PM.png

Oh there he is... :laugh:

Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 10.36.30 PM.png

Reactions: Trash Panda

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Like others have said, the best part of the night was Byfield hitting Hedman and Kopitar coming to the rescue after Hedman acted like a little b+tch. Great to see him using his size and disrespecting a veteran player.

Also, what the heck was going on in the stands right after the hit? All the players were watching something behind them, so something just have happened. It looks like an usher told two guys to leave.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
No one thinks that. At the same time, they need another goalie besides Copley to help them win games. This team hasn't won a game with Quick since Dec. 1st against the Coyotes. He stopped 18 of 21 shots, which is .857 SV%(that's just okay).

A lot of people think that on this board. Obviously a good goaltender would improve our raw point percentage, but that’s not even close to the only problem with this team.

Again, you’re not wrong. Quick hasn’t won a game in two months and that’s completely unacceptable. But the horrible goaltending has turned into a massive scapegoat for everything else. It just doesn’t tell the whole story, and it gives other culpable actors a get out of jail free card (Todd and Blake in particular).

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This year it's Boston, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and maybe Colorado if they can get it together.

Those are the teams with a shot at the cup.

It is painfully obvious that not a single team in the Pathetic Division has a shot.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Man, sometimes you guys remind me of my wife (hi sweetie!l)...she's a master at responding to me by intentionally not acknowledging/responding my main point
Can I suggest you don’t put her on the ignore list, or at least don’t make it obvious lol

100 Point scorer today translates to 150 points during the Small padded,small goalie,Gretzky Era!!!
No, it really doesn’t.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Again, as I’ve said, if you play competitive sports you know a team isn’t going to go balls out with a bad goalie in net because there’s no point to expend energy when you’re most likely going to lose even if you outwork the other team.
There have been a whole boatload of examples of this particular issue this season, I will absolutely agree with that to an extent.

Yesterdays game just wasn’t one of them. The turnovers were 100% to blame.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Bad goaltending doesn’t fix the Kings being dramatically outplayed.

The only goals the Kings scored tonight were soft/lucky/whatever floats your boat, and Tampa found a way to not let the momentum slip away from them because of it.

Quick was bad, but the team in front of him wasn’t exactly firing on all cylinders. The Walker/Edler pair in particular were horrible.

Absolutely agree.

I always try to point out that neither our offense or defense has a structure.
We score those weird goals out of nowhere but we are never able to force a certain game on our opponents.
This might work in our ECHL division or some odd games against east coast heavy weights but in playoff
we face team who can do exactly this to us and we don't have any answer.

We have this problem since many many years because we never hire fresh blood into our coaching staff
and rely on those dinosaurs who believe in cycling the boards

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Once the score was out of hand I was attending to my bbq so help a brutha out here...

Did Tmac take a timeout at some point in the 3rd?

And note Quick simply cannot make the big save anymore...hes lunging at pucks and guessing instead of reacting. Quick got it done in the past through sheer athleticism that has now faded. Hasnt posted a plus .900 save % since 12/23 and only 8 games in 24 starts.

Copley is a total textbook AHL journeyman goalie yet has a .900 save % in 14 of 19 games. Maybe a case of chicken and egg here but when an AHL journeyman is getting those type of results hard to complain and point a finger about defense.

Will say as well.....TMAC making changes after Ws is infuriating and we have many examples of him doing it this season with most resulting in losses. He bring in Lemieux and Edler to bring some energy? Sounds good on paper but Edler an energy should be in the same sentence and Lemiuex looks like hes skating out his contract.

Last edited:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
What about the game they beat TB in, or BOS?

Anyone who decides anything over one game, is a flipping moron.....

It's not about the one win in TB or Boston.
It is about being clearly outplayed even in the game they won.
Playoff is 4 out of 7 and that is our problem.
We have always demonstrated to win this odd game against contenders by weird deflection
but this is not flying high when we have to demonstrate constant structured play

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
It's not about the one win in TB or Boston.
It is about being clearly outplayed even in the game they won.
Playoff is 4 out of 7 and that is our problem.
We have always demonstrated to win this odd game against contenders by weird deflection
but this is not flying high when we have to demonstrate constant structured play
You have short term memory -- the Kings, this year and last, have had numerous impressive wins over teams on top of the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad