GDT: 2022-23 season game 50 LA Kings vs Philadelphia Flyers @4:00pm 1/24/23

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I love how people continue to use terrible goaltending as a *defense* of Rob Blake's performance as a GM.
Yeah but this team would be so much better if the clear need we knew was a need 3-4 years ago wasn't currently a need, what's he supposed to do? :naughty:
The catastrophic collapse of Petersen has played a part for sure, but yes, the lack of a goaltending pipeline is scary.

Parik is all but gone. Kings look ready to part ways with him.

Villalta has not improved at all.

Ingham has been injured all season.

Markkanen is toiling in the DEL.

Could any of them make a sudden change? Sure. Goaltending is very hard to predict. But they also need to be more vigilant in bringing someone up to speed.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Yeah but this team would be so much better if the clear need we knew was a need 3-4 years ago wasn't currently a need, what's he supposed to do? :naughty:
It wasn't a need when Petersen was playing well and after the Kings drafted 5 goalies in Blake's first four drafts. It only became a need during last season and then the Kings added Copley.

It wasn't a need when Petersen was playing well and after the Kings drafted 5 goalies in Blake's first four drafts. It only became a need during last season and then the Kings added Copley.

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
The catastrophic collapse of Petersen has played a part for sure, but yes, the lack of a goaltending pipeline is scary.

Could any of them make a sudden change? Sure. Goaltending is very hard to predict. But they also need to be more vigilant in bringing someone up to speed.
1000x this. I get that Cal was a bet that blew up on Blake. And that happens, just as bets sometimes pay off too. But the lack of development of any sort of serviceable 1B or even #2 is pretty damning. Copley is a journeyman's journeyman. More power to him for hanging tough, but c'mon!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Kings got complacent. They were so used to Quick being the #1 and thought Petersen would be next in line, but they didn't bother to take seriousness to draft goalie prospects for down the road. They will have to address it in this 2023 draft. They will also have to acquire a goalie like a Korpisalo(he has a low $1.3 million cap hit and a UFA) to compete with Copley.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I really like QB as LW1 and most all his his shifts have been stellar there. Now that Kopi is shooting the puck, the opposition is having a hard time containing that line. Kempe is hard to cover and can beat most any player with his speed...Kopi now has a wing that can get him the puck in QB and QB is not worrying about being the forward with the highest defensive responsibility. Listen to what he says - "All my life I've been an offensive player and making plays and I'm now ALLOWING myself to do that again". It sure is working. He's even beginning to play more physical as well. Just please leave the 3 together AND put them all together on PP1 as well. Fiala and Drew the other 2. Once Moore comes back and the Danault line starts playing like they can, going to be even better.
I love that Kupari, Turcotte and Fagemo are playing so well together. They have played together and are pushing each other. They look hungry and want to make an impact...plus they know if they can keep that up, it will be hard for TM to remove any of them. JAD has finally arrived as well....he's more confident and getting his shots of so quick. Fiala makes everyone better and will make JAD his Frederik Gauthier, as long as they play on the same line.

I like Byfield, but the "Ummm, you know..." over and over was making me dizzy after 20 seconds :P

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Completely disagree.

Even if Cal panned out as hoped--Quick is tapering down to retire and "5 goalies in 4 drafts" is a flattering line to say we hope one pans out.

There's no blue chipper or heir apparent to step in in case of injuries or weird situations (like Bartosak, or Parik apparently getting fed up). 5 lottery tickets that aren't progressing isn't a strategy.

Yes, it was a need, and this isn't benefit of hindsight stuff, I've been banging that drum for several years. There's a VAST gap between levels here, almost no stratification.

Reactions: King'sPawn

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I really like QB as LW1 and most all his his shifts have been stellar there. Now that Kopi is shooting the puck, the opposition is having a hard time containing that line. Kempe is hard to cover and can beat most any player with his speed...Kopi now has a wing that can get him the puck in QB and QB is not worrying about being the forward with the highest defensive responsibility. Listen to what he says - "All my life I've been an offensive player and making plays and I'm now ALLOWING myself to do that again". It sure is working. He's even beginning to play more physical as well. Just please leave the 3 together AND put them all together on PP1 as well.

The great thing is that it's not like QB is just being carried on that line. I think (and I believe there are metrics out there) that the first line is even better now that QB is part of it.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Completely disagree.

Even if Cal panned out as hoped--Quick is tapering down to retire and "5 goalies in 4 drafts" is a flattering line to say we hope one pans out.

There's no blue chipper or heir apparent to step in in case of injuries or weird situations (like Bartosak, or Parik apparently getting fed up). 5 lottery tickets that aren't progressing isn't a strategy.

Yes, it was a need, and this isn't benefit of hindsight stuff, I've been banging that drum for several years. There's a VAST gap between levels here, almost no stratification.
Who knows what is going on Parik? He is in the ECHL so maybe he needed to go to a different team's camp, see it wasn't just LA that didn't like something, and adjust or he just isn't that good.

As for the need, there wasn't a gap between goalies until Petersen and the draft picks face planted...which hadn't happened 3-4 years ago.

Kings will do what most teams do now that they don't have Quick next season.. draft a guy for the future and sign a guy for the present every off-season until they have two youngish guys in the NHL with at least one young guy in the AHL. Goalies are too finicky to do anything different.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I like the mentorship between Kopitar and Byfield. Seeing them go over things and plays on the bench is what we need. Byfield needs to learn the top line and to be utilized as a top 6 forward. Hoping he doesn't get bumped down after guys come back from injuries.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Who knows what is going on Parik? He is in the ECHL so maybe he needed to go to a different team's camp, see it wasn't just LA that didn't like something, and adjust or he just isn't that good.

As for the need, there wasn't a gap between goalies until Petersen and the draft picks face planted...which hadn't happened 3-4 years ago.

Kings will do what most teams do now that they don't have Quick next season.. draft a guy for the future and sign a guy for the present every off-season until they have two youngish guys in the NHL with at least one young guy in the AHL. Goalies are too finicky to do anything different.
Teams don't typically let organizations handle/develop their prospects unless they are ready to cut bait themselves. If there was genuine interest in trying to make it work, they could have assigned him to the ECHL and rotated the goalies.

The Kings tried to get Wallstedt two drafts ago. Even if Petersen was panning out, it takes years for goalies to be NHL ready. Petersen was 26 at the time of the 2021 draft - they really needed someone to start challenging for a spot by the time he was around 30. They already got Cal a bit on the late side as Quick was 31 at the time they signed him.

Cal is now 28. Even if he was handling the job well now, how long do you expect him to be the undisputed number 1?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I like the mentorship between Kopitar and Byfield. Seeing them go over things and plays on the bench is what we need. Byfield needs to learn the top line and to be utilized as a top 6 forward. Hoping he doesn't get bumped down after guys come back from injuries.
This is what I was asking for and we’re finally seeing it, the kid is going to blossom with Kopi mentoring him and Q showing physicality now is going to be a problem for opponents.
Off topic, I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, this team needs to move Arvy from the second line. He’s weak and makes bad decision frequently, most maddening is his inability to clear pucks or even softly chipping pucks into the zone. This dudes at least 4-5 times per game rockets simple dump ins and almost 90% of the time they wrap around the boards and allows the opponents to rush the other way. Just a low IQ players, soft player that’ll be exposed in the playoffs.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Unfortunately, with our HC anything's possible and I completely agree with you. Why mess with something that looks like it's starting to come together and is helping everyone?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Unfortunately, with our HC anything's possible and I completely agree with you. Why mess with something that looks like it's starting to come together and is helping everyone?
You guys are hilarious as usual. I'm not advocating to move Byfield off the top line, but if you are the coach where are you gonna put Vilardi, Moore and Kaliyev when they come back? You want those 3 to be the new 4th line cause Fagemo, Turcotte and Kupari are gonna be back to Ontario.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You guys are hilarious as usual. I'm not advocating to move Byfield off the top line, but if you are the coach where are you gonna put Vilardi, Moore and Kaliyev when they come back? You want those 3 to be the new 4th line cause Fagemo, Turcotte and Kupari are gonna be back to Ontario.

Moore takes over IA, Vilardi and takes over JAD, and AI takes over Fagemo, so you run,

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Fialia - Lizotte - Vilardi
Iafallo - Turcotte/Kupari - Kaliyev

Fagemo goes back down and you rotate Turcotte/Kupari in.....

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Moore takes over IA, Vilardi and takes over JAD, and AI takes over Fagemo, so you run,

Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Fialia - Lizotte - Vilardi
Iafallo - Turcotte/Kupari - Kaliyev

Fagemo goes back down and you rotate Turcotte/Kupari in.....
You are keeping Turcotte over JAD? No way…

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This is what I was asking for and we’re finally seeing it, the kid is going to blossom with Kopi mentoring him and Q showing physicality now is going to be a problem for opponents.
Off topic, I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, this team needs to move Arvy from the second line. He’s weak and makes bad decision frequently, most maddening is his inability to clear pucks or even softly chipping pucks into the zone. This dudes at least 4-5 times per game rockets simple dump ins and almost 90% of the time they wrap around the boards and allows the opponents to rush the other way. Just a low IQ players, soft player that’ll be exposed in the playoffs.
I dunno. I think Arvidsson has played much better compared to earlier in the season.

Though I do think there is an opportunity to further spread the ice time and opportunity of getting young players with vets. For example:

Iafallo - Danault - Anderson-Dolan
Fiala - Lizotte - Fagemo
Kupari - Turcotte - Arvidsson

Not so much a demotion for Arvidsson, if time were spread out more evenly. But JAD, as a two-way player, should fit in just fine with Iafallo and Danault. Fiala and his playmaking ability would go well with a high-volume shooter. Turcotte and Kupari have a more stabilizing offensive tool with Arvidsson to help them along further.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
He’s done the job you’d hope a NHL goaltender would do. However he has benefited from an improved defence and we just don’t know hoe it plays out. If he went into the season as #1 maybe he collapses under the pressure? In this scenario it’s essentially a free hit.

He’s absolutely taken his chance and deserves all the credit but we can play out any scenario with IF. You could equally argue that if the defence had been better then Cal and Quick would have been too. The goaltending was not responsible for the number of 2 on 1 breaks we were giving up, for example.

Lets just hope he continues his solid play, nice job bouncing back from him.
For sure, the defense has gotten better. I would say stylistically he's a much better fit for our defense than the other two, kind of like how Quick and the defense 10 years ago were always on the exact same page.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I'll give them credit where it's due, but Philly seems more interested in tanking, meaning they want to lose, meaning they want that outcome. Probably easier to do since TDA is an unlikable turd.

Exact same play during the playoffs or when they're expected to win, and they'd be just as irrational as any other fanbase.

I think the most hilarious thing is the fans really want the team to tank while management isn't on board with it yet. They are pretty damn passionate.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
mikey's really been a stud lately, lots of big game moments along with the quiet stuff

not bad for a 4th rounder eh
That's why the loss of Faber doesn't bother me much. The one things the Kings development has been able to consistently do is make good reliable defensemen regardless of draft position. Fiala is the only player we've had who can rival Palffy's skill, however since Palffy we've had countless Fabers come and go.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I dunno. I think Arvidsson has played much better compared to earlier in the season.

Though I do think there is an opportunity to further spread the ice time and opportunity of getting young players with vets. For example:

Fiala - Lizotte - Fagemo

Not so much a demotion for Arvidsson, if time were spread out more evenly. But JAD, as a two-way player, should fit in just fine with Iafallo and Danault. Fiala and his playmaking ability would go well with a high-volume shooter. Turcotte and Kupari have a more stabilizing offensive tool with Arvidsson to help them along further.
Not a bad idea. Some games Arvidsson is really a line driver, I'd consider something like this even when key guys come back.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

Fiala - Lizotte - Fagemo

Byfield - Kopitar - Moore
Iafallo - Danault - Kempe
Fiala - Turcotte - Vilardi

Is what I’d like to see once everyone is healthy but then what happens when what happens with that 4th line.. Kaliyev has to be in right, then Arvy, Lizotte , JAD, Tonka, Pepe..

Someone needs to go and it’s not just because of numbers but because some of the kids have proven they belong now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2