GDT: 2022-23 season game 44 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:30pm 1/9/23

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
See the shit posting is peaking for some reason right now.
And here you are, right on cue,
For byfield to become something special there’s so much work for him to do. I think he was definitely the wrong pick. For the amount of time it’s going to take him to be serviceable the Kings could have gotten serviceable years already with the Stutzle pick.
Judging by your past predictions, I'm feeling pretty good that Byfield will eventually be an impactful player.

Re QB

Its way too early to be definite about Byfield. Its def not trending well.. but 20.5 yrs old w big body - there are many examples of these guys taking longer to develop.
Two examples come to mind...then and now:

Olli Jokinen
Tage Thompson

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Re QB

Its way too early to be definite about Byfield. Its def not trending well.. but 20.5 yrs old w big body - there are many examples of these guys taking longer to develop. Need to also factor in he came up in Covid years.. and moreover had a bad leg injury. I know some things about it.. my kid broke his leg in hockey. It sets you back more than you would imagine both physically and psychologically.
Dead on. They need to ride it out as you imply.

I guess you can use the information for future picks but picks also depend on where you see your team overall on the development curve. I think we will trend towards taking a shot at closer to NHL ready to play, players in the next few drafts.

When Q was picked we seemed to have time for development.

The 7 games series with Edm. seemed to imply we may be further ahead and therefore ready to shift into a different developmental window.

We got a bit unlucky with Q's leg and some people react worse than others to controversial experimental therapeutics that were practically mandated for the NHL and other employment markets and now may be impacting peoples bodies in a host of different ways and will be under review for decades.

Judging by your past predictions, I'm feeling pretty good that Byfield will eventually be an impactful player.

Olli Jokinen
Tage Thompson
LMAO!

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Re QB

It’s way too early to be definite about Byfield. It’s def not trending well.. but 20.5 yrs old w big body - there are many examples of these guys taking longer to develop. Need to also factor in he came up in Covid years.. and moreover had a bad leg injury. I know some things about it.. my kid broke his leg in hockey. It sets you back more than you would imagine both physically and psychologically.
While I do think that there are legit excuses, I think the worst part about the Byfield pick was taking an unnecessary risk in drafting someone like him when there were better players and ready players available. I’d rather buy in on something real than buy in purely on hope. For example there’s very few Tage Thompson, and it’s like that for a reason. I want Byfield to succeed but I do think he’s just generally underwhelming most of his time as a King and he’s shown very little growth.

The fact that Axl used Olli Jokinen as an example should give no one a strong boost in hope

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
While I do think that there are legit excuses, I think the worst part about the Byfield pick was taking an unnecessary risk in drafting someone like him when there were better players and ready players available. I’d rather buy in on something real than buy in purely on hope. For example there’s very few Tage Thompson, and it’s like that for a reason. I want Byfield to succeed but I do think he’s just generally underwhelming most of his time as a King and he’s shown very little growth.
The scouting consensus was Stutzle is mostly polished and ready to contribute but Byfield had more upside. Scouts get enamored with individual attributes like speed, hands, size, shot and 6'5 center w hands is very appealing. He lacks the strong will you see in guys like Durzi or Fiala.. but not everybody has it. He seems like a guy that wants to fit in and not try to stand out or take risks... so developing him is an art form.. he probably needs to wade in the kitty pool a bit longer - just doesnt seem ready to breakout yet.

Olli Jokinen
Tage Thompson
For sure those 2 - Id like to hear how Tage Thompson suddenly emerged from someone who understands his development... here's a thread where people threw out late bloomers thats pretty interesting: What are some late bloomers in the NHL?

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
In regards to Byfield I truly believe it’s confidence. He was doing really well when he was in the AHL, and it seems when he gets called up he over thinks and doesn’t just play the game.

Reactions: Schrute farms

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The scouting consensus was Stutzle is mostly polished and ready to contribute but Byfield had more upside. Scouts get enamored with individual attributes like speed, hands, size, shot and 6'5 center w hands is very appealing. He lacks the strong will you see in guys like Durzi or Fiala.. but not everybody has it. He seems like a guy that wants to fit in and not try to stand out or take risks... so developing him is an art form.. he probably needs to wade in the kitty pool a bit longer - just doesnt seem ready to breakout yet.

For sure those 2 - Id like to hear how Tage Thompson suddenly emerged from someone who understands his development... here's a thread where people threw out late bloomers thats pretty interesting: What are some late bloomers in the NHL?

A lot of the times it's just mental, it clicks.....Can Byfield skate, yes, pass, yes, shoot, yes, play hockey, yes....ok...so why isn't he doing it at the level of a Thompson.....does he have that upside skill..yes...so why not? Because he's not there mentally, he's still figuring everything out, the speed of the game, how to think it, not only that, he's dealing with all the other shit humans do at 20 years old living away from family, home, and a shit load of money......

lol, why is that?

Cuz he doesn't know who he is.

Reactions: David Lunch

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Late bloomers are legit and it happens but I am sure there’s many more players that don’t put it together vs players that do. Is there a chance that Byfield becomes a top 6 player? Yeah. But is there a bigger chance he doesn’t? Yup. Why else would is Tage Thompson captivating the NHL? Because there’s a lot of him or very few of him in the NHL? Lastly, seems like most of the time anyone goes for height in the NHL as the most important factor ends up losing. Look at the times when Kings drafted for height with DL. What happened to those players? Polished players who are ready vs tall players you HOPE fit into their body at some point is a stupid risk. There’s no Kings fan right now that you can honestly ask that would tell you byfield was a good second overall pick. Not one. Especially with better players available at the time.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
In regards to Byfield I truly believe it’s confidence. He was doing really well when he was in the AHL, and it seems when he gets called up he over thinks and doesn’t just play the game.
I think he needs more time to marinate - he needs to stay settled in his position at center, 1st line, pp1, ot1 etc. The Kings dont really need him at this point - esp playing out of position.. its not helping him or the team (edit: with Kaliyev and Moore coming back).

Reactions: Docgonzo

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I think he needs more time to marinate - he needs to stay settled in his position at center, 1st line, pp1, ot1 etc. The Kings dont really need him at this point - esp playing out of position.. its not helping him or the team (edit: with Kaliyev and Moore coming back).
I do somewhat agree but I’d like to see him with Fiala and Vilardi before sending him back down.

Moore-Kopitar-Kempe
Iafallo-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi
JAD-Lizotte-Kaliyev
Lemieux

If Fiala gets Byfield going and they get chemistry that’s 4 dangerous lines. The 4th line right now isn’t that effective without Lizotte and Kaliyev.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Late bloomers are legit and it happens but I am sure there’s many more players that don’t put it together vs players that do. Is there a chance that Byfield becomes a top 6 player? Yeah. But is there a bigger chance he doesn’t? Yup. Why else would is Tage Thompson captivating the NHL? Because there’s a lot of him or very few of him in the NHL? Lastly, seems like most of the time anyone goes for height in the NHL as the most important factor ends up losing. Look at the times when Kings drafted for height with DL. What happened to those players? Polished players who are ready vs tall players you HOPE fit into their body at some point is a stupid risk. There’s no Kings fan right now that you can honestly ask that would tell you byfield was a good second overall pick. Not one. Especially with better players available at the time.
It hurts to read your posts...

Alex Lafreniere was the clear cut #1 projected pick....so guess who the NYR picked? You think OTT would have picked Stutzle if they had the #1 pick?

Go over to the NYR board and ask them if they would rather have Stutzle....

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
It was a gamble for sure.. If it works out you look like a genius.. right now its not looking too Einsteinian...There's def height bias in all of sports even ones like hockey where its not crucial like BB or VB.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I do somewhat agree but I’d like to see him with Fiala and Vilardi before sending him back down.

Moore-Kopitar-Kempe
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi
JAD-Lizotte-Kaliyev
Lemieux

If Fiala gets Byfield going and they get chemistry that’s 4 dangerous lines. The 4th line right now isn’t that effective without Lizotte and Kaliyev.
That may work since Fiala will lift any line by himself, and Vilardi is great at possession and passing.. QB would. have it easy and just focus on winning faceoffs and basics like picking up defensive assignment in transition

Reactions: Docgonzo

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It hurts to read your posts...

Alex Lafreniere was the clear cut #1 projected pick....so guess who the NYR picked? You think OTT would have picked Stutzle if they had the #1 pick?

Go over to the NYR board and ask them if they would rather have Stutzle....
I like how you spend your time dumping on Byfield but now that I’m doing the same you’re defending him. RJ is smiling at you right now I’m sure of it. There’s much bigger issues in New York than the players they draft. Kakko busted and now so is Laf. Stutzle was considered to be the most polished with Laf. And then the Rangers amazing development kicked in. You can ask the rangers board yourself if they think that Lafreniere was handled properly.

It was a gamble for sure.. If it works out you look like a genius.. right now its not looking too Einsteinian...There's def height bias in all of sports even ones like hockey where its not crucial like BB or VB.
Yep, a gamble that hasn’t payed off. The unholy trinity is rambling off talking about Jokinen a dude who’s 44 years old right now. I pray for the intelligence of this board when they use the exceptions vs typical patterns. We got a dude who thinks he knows hockey because he played NHL 13 Be a Gm mode on his PlayStation, a dude who’s holistically incoherent at any and all moments, then we got a dude who’s probably the most bad faith debater on the Kings board who’s ever existed. And they think they know hockey.

Hell it might be that byfield turns out to be a great player in 3-4 years. But how many years do you end up losing just for him to get there? I don’t think people realize that’s not a good thing for him to be a late bloomer. Especially for a second overall.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Moore-Kopitar-Kempe
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi
JAD-Lizotte-Kaliyev
Lemieux

Once Moore and Kaliyev return you could make the case the Kings have the best overall forward group in the league. D-corps is another story...

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I like how you spend your time dumping on Byfield but now that I’m doing the same you’re defending him. RJ is smiling at you right now I’m sure of it. There’s much bigger issues in New York than the players they draft. Kakko busted and now so is Laf. Stutzle was considered to be the most polished with Laf. And then the Rangers amazing development kicked in. You can ask the rangers board yourself if they think that Lafreniere was handled properly.
When have I 'dumped' on Byfield -- I've always maintained that he's going to need time and patience to be an impact player. I'm dumping on the experts of this board who cried about the coaching staff holding him back and not giving him top line minutes. Now that he has those minutes, he's done about as much with them as he had with the lesser minutes. Wrong again, SOL!

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Hell it might be that byfield turns out to be a great player in 3-4 years. But how many years do you end up losing just for him to get there? I don’t think people realize that’s not a good thing for him to be a late bloomer. Especially for a second overall.
I agree its not ideal at all - its already trending a bit toward bust.. but def not too late. I liked Stutzle from watching his youtube reels.. I also believed the hype around Byfield, but Stutzle caught my attention more at the time. Re Oli Jok - he def was a late bloomer - he didnt do shit til he was 24.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
When have I 'dumped' on Byfield -- I've always maintained that he's going to need time and patience to be an impact player. I'm dumping on the experts of this board who cried about the coaching staff holding him back and not giving him top line minutes. Now that he has those minutes, he's done about as much with them as he had with the lesser minutes. Wrong again, SOL!
Actually, you're wrong Pal. AS USUAL!
I agree its not ideal at all - its already trending a bit toward bust.. but def not too late. I liked Stutzle from watching his youtube reels.. I also believed the hype around Byfield, but Stutzle caught my attention more at the time. Re Oli Jok - he def was a late bloomer - he didnt do shit til he was 24.
Yeah.. Jokinen who's 44 now is being used as an example is not really confidence inspiring now is it? That's just my point.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That was all mental as well threw him in the deep end with no floaties

Yeah.. Jokinen who's 44 now is being used as an example is not really confidence inspiring now is it? That's just my point.
Ope that's just you being a f***ing morons, as usual

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Re QB

Its way too early to be definite about Byfield. Its def not trending well.. but 20.5 yrs old w big body - there are many examples of these guys taking longer to develop. Need to also factor in he came up in Covid years.. and moreover had a bad leg injury. I know some things about it.. my kid broke his leg in hockey. It sets you back more than you would imagine both physically and psychologically.
FWIW, I'm not worried about Byfield. He had a rough game yesterday after he took the high hit, but I look at how well a player responds and plays in the roles they're given. Byfield, on the top line, has created several chances, won puck battles, and at times the puck just hasn't gone in. He's growing into the role, and hopefully he can pot one soon so he will see the hard work rewarded.

His fly-by poke checks are significantly reduced. He's engaged in puck battles more, and winning them. Sometimes he still gets himself in trouble, but he's trending in the right direction.

A notch below Zigmund lol, but every exciting none the less
I dunno. I think Palffy was a better shooter, but the way Fiala moves around the ice and finds open seams is pretty remarkable.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
FWIW, I'm not worried about Byfield. He had a rough game yesterday after he took the high hit, but I look at how well a player responds and plays in the roles they're given. Byfield, on the top line, has created several chances, won puck battles, and at times the puck just hasn't gone in. He's growing into the role, and hopefully he can pot one soon so he will see the hard work rewarded.

His fly-by poke checks are significantly reduced. He's engaged in puck battles more, and winning them. Sometimes he still gets himself in trouble, but he's trending in the right direction.

I dunno. I think Palffy was a better shooter, but the way Fiala moves around the ice and finds open seams is pretty remarkable.

This is where I wonder if I'm watching the same player as everyone else.

He was having a tough game before he got his bell rung then was mostly bad after--but by and large he's been a huge reason for the 1st line's and PP's success when he's been out there lately. But we are ringing him up pretty harshly for last night when the larger sample size has been the last 5 or so games of great play.

If anything, I've seen things in his game i DIDNT expect at the NHL level, like him just straight puck thieving anyone from half a zone away

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

I still dont get it.. your saying its a different era so its less valid? I put up a link to an old thread on this board listing late bloomers.. its pretty common actually guys who didnt figure it out til 22,23,24...There may be an upside to his late development in that the Kings can get a cheap bridge deal before he pops.. and that could allow them to field a better team 2,3 years from now w more cap available.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I still dont get it.. your saying its a different era so its less valid? I put up a link to an old thread on this board listing late bloomers.. its pretty common actually guys who didnt figure it out til 22,23,24...There may be an upside to his late development in that the Kings can get a cheap bridge deal before he pops.. and that could allow them to field a better team 2,3 years from now w more cap available.
Not what I intended to come across as saying. What I meant is that using players from different eras even the ones in that thread are players who have mostly retired which implies that late robust bloomers aren’t all that common. While it happens, it’s definitely not something anyone should be leaning on since it is uncommon. Defenseman develop slower than Forwards right? So that makes sense since it happens often so there’s legit stock in that mentality. However for forwards to become late blooming cannons is uncommon. The Tage Thompsons story has captivated the NHL for the reason that he’s a late bloomer who’s producing like crazy all of a sudden. Shouldn’t his story tell you that he’s the exception and not the model to build because they usually don’t pan out at all.

This is where I wonder if I'm watching the same player as everyone else.

He was having a tough game before he got his bell rung then was mostly bad after--but by and large he's been a huge reason for the 1st line's and PP's success when he's been out there lately. But we are ringing him up pretty harshly for last night when the larger sample size has been the last 5 or so games of great play.

If anything, I've seen things in his game i DIDNT expect at the NHL level, like him just straight puck thieving anyone from half a zone away
We all want to see him produce points. Once he does that on a semi consistent basis all the chatter will stop.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We all want to see him produce points. Once he does that on a semi consistent basis all the chatter will stop.

I can understand that and I'd like to see his numbers start to come up too but I think we have to acknowledge his growth, too. There's confidence, defense, speed, and checking there, and several goals recently were the results of his efforts. I know it sounds like a moral victory to point out his tertiary assists but he is a couple of stick tics away from several points over our winning streak.

I've just seen the bust word farrrr too much over the last few pages when, outside of last night, he was by and large growing game by game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad