GDT: 2022-23 season game 42 LA Kings vs Boston Bruins @7:30pm 1/5/23

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Swayman held the Bruins in until they could capitalize on the Kings' weak links.

Is what it is, few muffed breakaways and a post kept the Kings from running away, then the Bruins got the special Edler-Walker multiball after the go ahead goal.

Otherwise, strong team game, matched up well, controlled a lot of play for MUCH of the game vs. the clear best team in the league. That strong of a game shows growth but also what's left to learn for the youth and vets alike and gives both TM and Blake some serious things to think about.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Crazy how many years the Bruins have been one of the top teams in the league. Imagine having 4 regulation losses halfway through a season.
It took some balls to fire or not resign Cassidy and bring in the bald guy.
He said, pointedly, looking at the organizational hierarchy, the schedule, the goaltender starts and statistics.
(Cough, Cough)_Copley!

Last edited:
Reactions: psych3man

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
That game was a lot closer than the final score would indicate. Tough loss because they certainly had chances to win. Oh well though, that's a game they're "supposed" to lose, especially given that Boston is in another conference and is the best team in the league.

But Vegas, Seattle, Edmonton, and Vancouver won tonight. The Kings are four points up on Seattle, but Seattle has 5 games in hand. We are third in the division and sixth in the conference by points percentage, and Calgary and Edmonton really aren't too far behind us.

All in all, not a great night for LA.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It took some balls to fire or not resign Cassidy and bring in the bald guy.
I think something happened in the locker room with Cassidy and the Bruins roster. Montgomery was fired 28 games(17-11) into his 2nd season coaching the Stars. Montgomery was off radar as a coaching candidate, but props to the Bruins GM to make the move.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I think something happened in the locker room with Cassidy and the Bruins roster. Montgomery was fired 28 games(17-11) into his 2nd season coaching the Stars. Montgomery was off radar as a coaching candidate, but props to the Bruins GM to make the move.
Why they all seem like such agreeable fellows, from that nice fair play captain on down! He said sarcastically looking at the Kings Captain, and alternatives on the roster while wondering about team sports psychology and success. Then pulling up cap friendly and looking at expiring contract dates.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

The Kings are the only team in a playoff spot to have a negative goal differential. Hell, the Senators have an even goal differential, and Buffalo is +21.

That goal differential is a bit misleading. The defense/team defense and PK were awful the first quarter of the season. Also, Quick/Petersen were not good enough either. In comes Copley from the Ontario Reign giving stabilized goaltending, while the team D has found a way to improve.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

The Kings are the only team in a playoff spot to have a negative goal differential. Hell, the Senators have an even goal differential, and Buffalo is +21.

I thought that that the Kings should have traded for Chychrun in the offseason, based on their direction we were going he was a perfect piece to slide onto the blue line. He has come back this season and posted fantastic numbers, which is probably driving his price even higher. He has 18 points in 20 games, that .86 PPG would be second on the Kings just behind Fiala. His possession numbers are just outstanding with a +18 CF% Rel, +24 xGF% Rel, and a + 25 GF% Rel. I have to imagine the cost has just continued to climb. I still can't believe people were seriously arguing that Spence/Durzi were just as good as Chychrun.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
That goal differential is a bit misleading. The defense/team defense and PK were awful the first quarter of the season. Also, Quick/Petersen were not good enough either. In comes Copley from the Ontario Reign giving stabilized goaltending, while the team D has found a way to improve.

Goal differential from games 1-20 was -3, goal differential from games 21-40 was… -3, so your theory doesn’t really check out.

Additionally, we gave up two fewer goals in the first twenty games (68) than we did in the next twenty (70).

Reactions: lumbergh

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I thought that that the Kings should have traded for Chychrun in the offseason, based on their direction we were going he was a perfect piece to slide onto the blue line. He has come back this season and posted fantastic numbers, which is probably driving his price even higher. He has 18 points in 20 games, that .86 PPG would be second on the Kings just behind Fiala. His possession numbers are just outstanding with a +18 CF% Rel, +24 xGF% Rel, and a + 25 GF% Rel. I have to imagine the cost has just continued to climb. I still can't believe people were seriously arguing that Spence/Durzi were just as good as Chychrun.
In the end I don't think they get the overpay they are asking good numbers aside. I hated the way he played against the kings and his injury history. If you are gonna take a flyer on a guy with injury hx, it should be a relatively cheap reclamation project ala Gaborik, Scuderi or Mitchel via signing UFA.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Goal differential from games 1-20 was -3, goal differential from games 21-40 was… -3, so your theory doesn’t really check out.
Earlier in the season, just about everybody on this board was trashing the team D, PK and goaltending, and rightfully so. The offense was bailing out the team a lot.

Reactions: Kurrilino

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think there were 3 reasons the Kings lost tonight. The score was tied 2-2 after 2 periods. In the 3rd there were too many breakdowns similar to the 3rd period against the Sabres, giving up 6 goals. Kings played too aggressive in the neutral zone, in contrast to the 3-2 shootout win in Boston. I saw some lack of patience in that 3rd period that was costly. Last, the team didn't score on very good scoring chances(Kopitar backdoor on the back-hand, Fiala breakaway and another breakaway(forgot who it was). When you miss good opportunities to score against the best team in the league, you will get burned.

Side Note: What the hell was with the ice conditions tonight?! Players were losing their edges on both teams.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Crazy how many years the Bruins have been one of the top teams in the league. Imagine having 4 regulation losses halfway through a season.

Crazy how they've also only won one cup since 2011. [they've made 2 other finals] They're consistant but yet something is always missing. You get the feeling this is the final push by that group. As good as they are, if you're matched up in the 1st round by a good team, losing 10 plus reg games won't mean shit.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

She's always such a ray of sunshine when writing about the Kings. And that stat is just a reflection about a few badly lost games and trying to play catch up. I think they were even right after the MTL game. Then Lumbus and the Sabers game happen giving up 12 vs 5, then boom -7. It's gonna take a while to get back on the plus side, but by the end of the year, we'll be in the plus side of things.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
That game was a lot closer than the final score would indicate. Tough loss because they certainly had chances to win. Oh well though, that's a game they're "supposed" to lose, especially given that Boston is in another conference and is the best team in the league.

But Vegas, Seattle, Edmonton, and Vancouver won tonight. The Kings are four points up on Seattle, but Seattle has 5 games in hand. We are third in the division and sixth in the conference by points percentage, and Calgary and Edmonton really aren't too far behind us.

All in all, not a great night for LA.

Not the night to lose for sure. Don't really care about the point pct thing, and until they hit 50 plus points and pass us were ok. Still those teams with games in hand still have win which is never easy.Totally blows my mind we've played 2 weeks more hockey than Seattle. They just played game 37.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

The Kings are -5 in goal differential in the 15 games since Copley got his first start.

They’re just not that good. They’ll stay in the playoff hunt because the Pacific is a clown show. They may even squeak in. But they’re not beating anyone in a seven game series.

They have major, major roster issues to take care of before they start to seriously compete. And that’s not even looking at the problems with goaltending and coaching.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I also think goal differential is a good indicator for being a contender or pretender. Most wins were close ones and there were a few big losses.

At this point I can’t not recall a couple of huge wins.

Though I think most think we can win a playoff round and that’s probably it. Which means about 20-25 teams are worse than LA.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I also think goal differential is a good indicator for being a contender or pretender. Most wins were close ones and there were a few big losses.

At this point I can’t not recall a couple of huge wins.

Though I think most think we can win a playoff round and that’s probably it. Which means about 20-25 teams are worse than LA.
Yup kings aren’t winning games convincingly. Blessed are the gimmicks of OT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad