GDT: 2022-23 season game 41 LA Kings vs Dallas Stars @7:00pm 1/3/23

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
You have some mutts here that will find any reason to bash the team. Whether it's talking about players missing or some other thing to validate the dog whistle they have had all year. There needs to be some balance. I'm all about hammering them when they are playing lazy, stupid or if the coaching is brutal but I can also see the positive and I hope most others can as well.

It's just enjoyable to watch right now.
🎯💯🙌

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Quick really hasn't been anything other than average at best over the past five years, with more periods of poor play below that line than time spent above it. He is a hero here and that respect has lived well past his "best if played by" date.

Copley isn't dropping to the ice at the threat of every shot then trying to scramble around to cover up for it. He just positions himself to let the puck hit him. That's it, nothing special, just competent positional goaltending.

I have nothing but respect for Quick and what he has accomished, but a spade is a spade and a lot of the lore around him is based on miraculous saves of shots that would have just been swallowed up by a standard goalies. Age beats everyone, those side to side highlight reelers are fewer and further between. Kids now go bar downsky at will, its just too easy to beat him.
Nailed it!

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Copley shows if this team just gets average goaltending they’re pretty good, just need to work on the PK. But sadly Quick and Peterson this season were way below average.
He has been above average, even though his style downplays it. Remember he has also won multiple shootouts.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Out of goalies who have played 10 or more games, he's 28th in save percentage. He has been the definition of average/steady. That's not a bad thing but again let's not overplay it.
Wow, ok thanks. Still love the guy on the eye test, especially on shootouts, shots not getting in up high, guys firing wide and the way the team plays in front of him.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Out of goalies who have played 10 or more games, he's 28th in save percentage. He has been the definition of average/steady. That's not a bad thing but again let's not overplay it.
Although one disastrous period in Buffalo, when the team checked out and he let in a couple softies in and I am sure a tight grouping on this stat also play into that. Still a valid point regardless.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

(not so) Fun stat: At even strength, the Kings have the 7th highest high-danger chances against in the league. Copley is right in the middle of the pack, 15th at HD save %.

Interesting stat: Since December 6th when he got his first start, Copley is 9th among all NHL goalies in SV% at .908. He's also 8th in GAA over that time period at 2.52.

So yeah, average, perhaps a little above.

Reactions: David Lunch

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
One of the best things about Copley is his calming goaltending style. The boys know they won't have to come back and score after a softie (for the most part). Quick's style is all over the place and he tends to be way more out of position, flailing around and leaving an open net. Seeing him swim around has gotta be anxiety inducing for the team.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
(not so) Fun stat: At even strength, the Kings have the 7th highest high-danger chances against in the league. Copley is right in the middle of the pack, 15th at HD save %.

Interesting stat: Since December 6th when he got his first start, Copley is 9th among all NHL goalies in SV% at .908. He's also 8th in GAA over that time period at 2.52.

🔎 Good stuff more info, less cherry picked thats what I am saying after what I am seeing. 32 teams X 2 tenders+= 64+

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Real nice win last night. Moved down to ten rows behind the glass and I'm still certain that this wasn't the reason that it seemed like Byfield used his size more. Pretty strong game. Kings need him to be a center but I'm all for this current set up if it gets him confident and acclimated to the NHL.

I'm still very wary of Fasth 2.0 with Copley. Guy is on an absolute heater but this could be a bit of a Budaj situation where the team plays with more structure and discipline since they don't have a super athletic Smythe Trophy winner in net.
Exactly, you'd be stupid to assume he's not going to come back to earth at some stage. It's whether the rest of the team can pick up the slack when that happens.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Exactly, you'd be stupid to assume he's not going to come back to earth at some stage. It's whether the rest of the team can pick up the slack when that happens.

i think he's exactly where he's going to end up, right around .905-.910. And that's fine--we had said "what if we just had league average goaltending" and even with just below we've gone on a heater. If he ends up closer to .920, we have a juggernaut. And of course that's symbiotic with the defense so it's not as simple as "just be better Cop". Like, what you see is what you get and for now that's more than good enough.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Agreed but maybe he could hover in the atmosphere a bit. Team should be plenty motivated after the turn around he has backstopped not to mention failing to rescue Cal from the throat of the AHL and Quick from the jaws of retirement.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022

All that winning playing behind the most busted-out 2nd pair in hockey.
Ride the Pheonix!

PS: 3rd pair is busted-out too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad