GDT: 2022-23 season game 40 LA Kings vs Philadelphia Flyers @1:00pm 12/31/22

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
The dumbest thing might be that, even with a substandard goalie performance, that’s an easy win if this team plays with even 80% of the effort it’s had when Copley has been in net (minus buffalo third period)
Maybe a little bit but a team looks a lot better when the goalie makes timely saves.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
You don't have to tell me twice.

Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot - Spence
Edler - Roy

Do it Todd, you second-rate hack
That’s our best lineup and it defies logic that we aren’t rolling it day in and day out. I have to think the constant use of Durzi is just for trading him at the TDL.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Watched the game late today, my god what a crap effort!

The only difference between this game and the game last week vs ARZ was losing in regulation. Tried to phone another game in and look what it got them, a bad loss. The pp, aside from the 5 on 3 played timid and scared. Philly knew it and they jumped them every chance until they got the gw shorty. There was no effort to win, none! Worst game by doughty in years [ one good pass doesn't give you a out for today lack of effort]. Grundstrom is a liablilty, worse that pepe. Either he's turning it over and getting scored on or taking another bad penalty and the pk is getting scored on. Please include him in any deal during the trade deadline. Quick got another loss pinned on him by this teams lack of effort in a game they should've won.
They earned this loss.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
That a bit of a reach dude. We win the series with Doughty and VA in the lineup, not Copley. I have no doubt. The series would've ended at 6.
I don’t know about that. The Oilers won by simply playing McDavid more. Doughty is not remotely good enough to make a difference against McDavid.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I don’t know about that. The Oilers won by simply playing McDavid more. Doughty is not remotely good enough to make a difference against McDavid.

So you don't think doughty defending mcdavid is better than durzi or spence? That's who he was up against most of the series. Doughty also knows how to get under his skin, been doing his whole career. Overall those two would've changed the series for sure, not just against mcdavid.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
We were due a stinker, they couldn't luck out with this one. They tried maybe 30% of that game. Quick wasn't awful, those shots get by most goalies. He had some good saves on shots that should have probably beaten him. It shouldn't have mattered anyways, with even a decent effort they should put up 4 on the Flyers.

Just more evidence to fix the defense, though. Even with Doughty having a shit game that was the only good pairing today.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
I don't know how anyone can defend Quick in that game. The game winning goal was a horrible goal to give up...your goalie HAS to make that save from that distance esp while on PP.

I watched the Philly feed this game, Jones kept reminding his audience (and team) that high shots almost always beat Quick. I would add this is esp true this year as his reflexes and puck following have clearly dissipated. It is actually very painful to watch him.
I am scared for this team going forward. Goalie is the most important position in sports and the Kings are in quicksand at that position.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I don't know how anyone can defend Quick in that game. The game winning goal was a horrible goal to give up...your goalie HAS to make that save from that distance esp while on PP.

I watched the Philly feed this game, Jones kept reminding his audience (and team) that high shots almost always beat Quick. I would add this is esp true this year as his reflexes and puck following have clearly dissipated. It is actually very painful to watch him.
I am scared for this team going forward. Goalie is the most important position in sports and the Kings are in quicksand at that position.
Name a goalie that's strong against high shots.

Reactions: kingsfan28

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

I take it you never played goal in your life? I guarantee you Quick didn't even SEE that shot until it was past him....same with the Allison shot that hit the post.....

Reactions: kingsfan28

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Said previously....Durzi is the worst defensive player on the D core and has been forever. Most were in agreement his role is sheltered minutes on bottom pair and PP1 time. Thats the role that best fits his skillset.
So in true TMAC fashion..2nd in shifts, 2nd in TOI, and more time that Anderson on the PK.

1672595851156.png

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Said previously....Durzi is the worst defensive player on the D core and has been forever. Most were in agreement his role is sheltered minutes on bottom pair and PP1 time. Thats the role that best fits his skillset.
So in true TMAC fashion..2nd in shifts, 2nd in TOI, and more time that Anderson on the PK.

View attachment 628977
This is why we need to improve the D. Roy is probably our 3rd best defenseman, and Durzi is his partner. That's why he gets second-line minutes. Would we rather have Edler/Walker getting 2nd matchups? Probably not, so the options are going Walker/Roy and Edler/Durzi. Edler doesn't have the foot speed to handle Durzi's chaos so that's not going to work.

Those minutes aren't reflections of coaching decisions as much as a lack of options, we simply don't have a 2nd pairing. I don't think Bjornfot/Spence could handle it right now either. Getting a capable LD puts either the new guy or Anderson next to Roy, which is solid enough for now. Clarke takes that 2RD spot soon anyways. Lots of guys can be on the 3rd pairing, just need to solidify those top 2.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Those minutes aren't reflections of coaching decisions as much as a lack of options, we simply don't have a 2nd pairing. I don't think Bjornfot/Spence could handle it right now either. Getting a capable LD puts either the new guy or Anderson next to Roy, which is solid enough for now. Clarke takes that 2RD spot soon anyways. Lots of guys can be on the 3rd pairing, just need to solidify those top 2.
Agree - Bjornfot probably only slots in as 3LD and Edler doesnt have the legs to play 2LD.. so there isnt any option that would significantly improve the d-corps. You could experiment with putting Roy at 2LD and Spence/Walker at 2RD, with Durzi 3RD with Edler. But that is probably just rearranging the deck chairs.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Was gonna say it was the most stereotypically 2022 Kings game possible.

1 part sloppy, uninspired, zero-juice effort; 1 part dog shit special teams literally losing you the game (10 straight with a PPG against, but this time we ALSO gave up a shorty!); 1 part sub-.900 goaltending.

And today's confirmation that this coach is a perennial loser taking this team nowhere

But keep playing the worst defensive d-man in the organization on his wrong side on the penalty kill and wondering why we aren't getting clears

i shouldn't be rehashing this but i feel a little sad inside that all this org demands from its coach is "trust me bro"

Reactions: psych3man

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
We were due a stinker, they couldn't luck out with this one. They tried maybe 30% of that game. Quick wasn't awful, those shots get by most goalies. He had some good saves on shots that should have probably beaten him. It shouldn't have mattered anyways, with even a decent effort they should put up 4 on the Flyers.

Just more evidence to fix the defense, though. Even with Doughty having a shit game that was the only good pairing today.

Copley is losing this game too, same score.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Was gonna say it was the most stereotypically 2022 Kings game possible.

1 part sloppy, uninspired, zero-juice effort; 1 part dog shit special teams literally losing you the game (10 straight with a PPG against, but this time we ALSO gave up a shorty!); 1 part sub-.900 goaltending.

And today's confirmation that this coach is a perennial loser taking this team nowhere

But keep playing the worst defensive d-man in the organization on his wrong side on the penalty kill and wondering why we aren't getting clears

Funny, Jim and Stolly brought this up last night on a clear he had to make on his backhand that didn't have enough on it. If thats a true lefty, it's cleared and out.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Funny, Jim and Stolly brought this up last night on a clear he had to make on his backhand that didn't have enough on it. If thats a true lefty, it's cleared and out.

The one on the PK yeah? Runs as hard as he can to the wall, beats his guy, just in an impossible position because of it.

Reactions: YAYSAY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad