GDT: 2022-23 season game 4 LA Kings vs Detroit Red Wings @4:00pm 10/17/22

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
This is overstating it. We’re 2-0 on the road trip. Half of Detroit’s goals came tonight on offensive blunders: Durzi s pinch blew up on him and RV’s brain fart led directly to Detroit’s last goal. You can’t blame the D primarily for either of those.

We totally controlled the play after the latter blunder and won the game in OT. That’s a good response. If not for Durzi’s game 1 brain fart we’d have 5/8 points.

There are things to work on but so far this beats last year’s start. Hope they can keep it rolling in NSH.

Defense is not exclusively played by defensemen.

This team has surrendered 4 or more goals and 30+ shots in every game this season. There’s no overstating it. That’s really, really concerning, and again, falls on a lack of identity, defensive structure, special teams execution, and overall puck management. Aka, coaching.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Defense is not exclusively played by defensemen.

This team has surrendered 4 or more goals and 30+ shots in every game this season. There’s no overstating it. That’s really, really concerning, and again, falls on a lack of identity, defensive structure, special teams execution, and overall puck management. Aka, coaching.
They just played an entire season of being one of the most well structured defensive teams in the league.

The team D gets a long leash because of that.

Until proven otherwise, scoring is the issue with this team, not defense. I need more than 4 games to change that narrative.

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
I learned that TM is the 2nd highest paid coach in this thread and I don't know how to handle that information. I'm pretty shocked.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
This is overstating it. We’re 2-0 on the road trip. Half of Detroit’s goals came tonight on offensive blunders: Durzi s pinch blew up on him and RV’s brain fart led directly to Detroit’s last goal. You can’t blame the D primarily for either of those.

We totally controlled the play after the latter blunder and won the game in OT. That’s a good response. If not for Durzi’s game 1 brain fart we’d have 5/8 points.

There are things to work on but so far this beats last year’s start. Hope they can keep it rolling in NSH.
I think what was leading directly to Detroit’s last goal was puck watching by Roy (again).

I am not even talking about to what Arvidsson did 20 seconds earlier.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I am too. 44 and 8 top pairing provides no offense. DD does not push play - he frequently slows everything down which requires forwards to regroup in the neutral zone. He rarely gets a shot through when he does its off target (but thats always been true). Mikey has been solid, but he's never going to provide much O. So for a top pairing they are pretty mediocre offensively. I heard his injury is far from good - still swollen... could be effecting his aggressiveness.
Mikey has not been solid playing against fast or smart players.

He is pretty average at best.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I think what was leading directly to Detroit’s last goal was puck watching by Roy (again).

I am not even talking about to what Arvidsson did 20 seconds earlier.
Well I know who has been labeled the scapegoat for the season already. Roy was left to cover two guys by himself, but sure, it's his fault. It's game 4 and we're already approaching Modry levels of scapegoating.

Reactions: King'sPawn

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
What a 180° turn for Gabe Vilardi so far this season. Started last season constantly trapped on the wrong side of the puck, turning pucks over, outscored 0-5. Starting this season constantly on top of the puck, creating turnovers, Kings outscoring opponents 5-1 when he's on the ice at even strength. He's really finding some solid chemistry with Byfield. Love to see it, considering the injury problems that have plagued his early career. Keep it going, Gabe!

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Well I know who has been labeled the scapegoat for the season already. Roy was left to cover two guys by himself, but sure, it's his fault. It's game 4 and we're already approaching Modry levels of scapegoating.

I think it's pretty obvious watching Durzi for 60+ games that any role outside of bottom pairing matchups and responsibility is sub-optimal at best. When he plays farther up the lineup, his partner is going to suffer the consequences.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
What a 180° turn for Gabe Vilardi so far this season. Started last season constantly trapped on the wrong side of the puck, turning pucks over, outscored 0-5. Starting this season constantly on top of the puck, creating turnovers, Kings outscoring opponents 5-1 when he's on the ice at even strength. He's really finding some solid chemistry with Byfield. Love to see it, considering the injury problems that have plagued his early career. Keep it going, Gabe!

The crazy thing is that line at even strength is starting just over 50% in the defensive zone so far this season. Last night QB had 33% oZone starts. So it's not like they're getting plum deployment so far. AI has been a great fit on that line. Hopefully he's not out for a prolonged amount of time.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I learned that TM is the 2nd highest paid coach in this thread and I don't know how to handle that information. I'm pretty shocked.
He's actually not. Both Rod the Bod and Q make more than him for sure. TM makes the same as Julien, Vigneault, and Nasreddine. Wouldn't be surprised if Sullivan's extension is more either. Coaches salaries aren't always disclosed.

In general, longer tenured coaches get paid more (but not always), and market plays a role.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Mikey has not been solid playing against fast or smart players.

He is pretty average at best.
Well, he's got some of the best metrics and he certainly faces the best competition other teams have to offer. He's done that for the last couple of years, so there's that.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Sorry I loathe giving up goals. Rather tight game with chances than everything going in randomly.
The only thing I love more than I hate giving up goals is scoring goals! But hey, to each their own, I totally get it. I’m sure we’ll have plenty of low-scoring games this season too.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't recall Arvidsson having 20+ seconds to score that EN goal.

Not even Arvidsson's own mother would defend this play, but here we are.

I just want TM to yell at him again. He did after 3 games last year and Roy turned the corner immediately.

This is still his best performance this season so far so like some of the other vets (Kopitar for sure) at least he's trending up and warming up.

I think a lot of us expected a mild breakout.

I think few of us expected THIS crazy of a start.

I think NONE of us expected him to turn into Mark f***ing Stone defensively too. If the puck is within a stick's length, he's winning that battle and walking away. There were several times he walked out of a 1v2 or even a 1v3 battle with the puck. He NEARLY went 1v4 on a change, as well. He's doing exactly what he did in juniors and I hoped to goodness he could do with man strength as a pro.

Also last night I said bench Arvidsson because of accountability

But they're playing Nashville tonight so I think he has to get the go for immediate atonement and the automatic "former team" goal haha

Dude needs to turn it around quickly though. I'm already annoyed with him for the effort last night and his body language in general so far this year, a bit of a primadonna shithead.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde.....should rename this board that....

Last night was entertaining.....and fun......and gut wrenching, everyone knew DET was gonna tie it up.....

Defense is a team effort, there was some slack for sure, but again, 4th game in, early season, gotta have faith they will figure it out, if not, there's a shit ton of people on this board who will age about 15 years this season...

Byfield is making strides, but also showed why his minutes are limited, can not puck watch in the defensive zone, and he knows that as for the past 25 years, minor hockey on up, head on a swivel is a mainstay....

Vilardi is determined to stick....he will come back down to earth.....but he is making the most of the opportunity they are giving him, which is the first time he can say that....

I don't know if Clarke sticks.....I think he plays the 9 and goes back down....and that's not necessarily a bad thing....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad