GDT: 2022-23 season game 4 LA Kings vs Detroit Red Wings @4:00pm 10/17/22

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
This team is an embarrassment defensively. No system, no puck management whatsoever. Just pure skill and skating and let’s hope our transition beats theirs and our special teams don’t give one back.

I don’t see how anyone can be a TMac apologist. This all falls squarely on the coach’s head.
I think penciling in a RHD for a LHD spot when you have other options was mistake #1. Defense is much harder to adapt to your wrong side than offense. They shouldve planned better for this with Walker - ie told him he would be waived and made the tough call there. How is there any future for him here with Spence, Durzi, and Clarke all better and cheaper.

Reactions: Fishhead

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
This team is an embarrassment defensively. No system, no puck management whatsoever.
This is overstating it. We’re 2-0 on the road trip. Half of Detroit’s goals came tonight on offensive blunders: Durzi s pinch blew up on him and RV’s brain fart led directly to Detroit’s last goal. You can’t blame the D primarily for either of those.

We totally controlled the play after the latter blunder and won the game in OT. That’s a good response. If not for Durzi’s game 1 brain fart we’d have 5/8 points.

There are things to work on but so far this beats last year’s start. Hope they can keep it rolling in NSH.

Reactions: The Butcher

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is overstating it. We’re 2-0 on the road trip. Half of Detroit’s goals came tonight on offensive blunders: Durzi s pinch blew up on him and RV’s brain fart led directly to Detroit’s last goal. We totally controlled the play after the latter blunder and won the game in OT. That’s a good response. If not for Durzi’s game 1 brain fart we’d have 5/8 points.

There are things to work in but so far this beats last year’s start so far. Hope they can keep it rolling in NSH.

Well therein lies the rub doesn't it?

Much like last year we see the potential for even more, there are definitely some positive things and the really sloppy ones will undoubtedly get cleaned up 1. as the season rolls along and stops being the circus the first 10 games typically are and 2. the defense and team defense solidifies. I don't think 'what you see is what you get' by any means right now and the best is yet to come.

But I don't see how you can't look to the coaching right now with the decisions, messages, admitted from his own mouth lack of identity.

Everything I see from TM right now leads me to believe he is exactly who his reputation says he is, a guy who isn't going to get every last drop out of his players, always leaves you wanting more. Luckily there's plenty of racetrack left but the complaints as of now at least are valid and consistent going back to last year.

Edit; one more positive you do point out that I think is worth looking at though is their responses--they've scored goals in return quickly after their GA and consistently!

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach

Much like last year we see the potential for even more, there are definitely some positive things and the really sloppy ones will undoubtedly get cleaned up 1. as the season rolls along and stops being the circus the first 10 games typically are and 2. the defense and team defense solidifies. I don't think 'what you see is what you get' by any means right now and the best is yet to come.

But I don't see how you can't look to the coaching right now with the decisions, messages, admitted from his own mouth lack of identity.

Everything I see from TM right now leads me to believe he is exactly who his reputation says he is, a guy who isn't going to get every last drop out of his players, always leaves you wanting more. Luckily there's plenty of racetrack left but the complaints as of now at least are valid and consistent going back to last year.

Edit; one more positive you do point out that I think is worth looking at though is their responses--they've scored goals in return quickly after their GA and consistently!
Yeah, you won’t catch me defending T-Mac. One of the weaker links in the chain for sure. But the players look good. Offense looks deep, balanced and sometimes explosive (I like the early trend of responding to backbreaking goals with quick goals of our own). Defense has some clear potential and decent depth as well.JQ looks fine. Cal is obviously 😬😬😬.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It's not a confidence thing for me, it's a tone thing.

Durzi f***s up by trying to make a reckless play in the last minute of a game in which we were outshot worse than we have been in a decade and he becomes the lightning rod for the whole game because of his 'stupid' play

Arvidsson f***s up with a complete bullshit lack of effort play in a game where the Kings played relatively well as a group and the tone is 'dont' worry bro we'll lift you up.'

If you ever need to see the difference in how the tone is set between youth and vets on this team, there, several days apart you have very stark, public examples of the language used to describe mistakes made by either party.

I'm about 90% confident that Arvidsson won't be benched for this. He wont' lose a second of play. He'll be allowed ot 'play through it.' If the body in the jersey was under 24 years of age, I'm about 90% confident they'd be on their way home to Ontario tomorrow.
I get that part, but when Durzi messed up, Todd was pissed but that's about it. Didn't hear anything from the players, but given this team I'm sure they were just as constructive to Durzi. Tonight he said the players were going over to Arvy and wanted to win it for him. One thing I didn't hear TM say was that he himself he wasn't pissed about it.

Plus, it's a lot easier to stay positive when you are playing an out-of-conference team and make a mistake while trying the obvious play when up by a goal with under a minute left vs. doing something completely unnecessary against a division foe when you are tied with a minute left. It's much ado about nothing, really, just seems like people are finding reasons to be angry about TM. He'll take care of that himself, eventually, no need to put any effort into it :laugh:

It also blows my mind how a lot of fans have latched on to Durzi. He's a hoot to watch, but he's never going to be that good. His events are usually insane, for example he was on the ice for 3GA and 3 of the 4 Kings penalties tonight. I just don't see him being anything more than a fun stopgap.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The fact that they're 2-2 while playing like this defensively is kind of a good sign.

I'm not worried about team defense really. It's systematic thing mostly, and it will tighten up eventually.

They were one of the better defensive teams in the league last year, with a carousel of defensemen, so no reason to think they can't get it dialed in this year.

I am a bit concerned about Doughty's play though.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Well, given what TM did with this team last year I'd say he certainly knows how to get a lot out of his players. Maybe he's not doing that well in the first 4 games this year, but he was great at it last year, hence tied for 5th in Adams voting. If you make the playoffs with a largely AHL defense, you are pretty good at what you do. He absolutely got the best of this team last season so maybe not going back to last year.

I'm not a huge TM supporter by any means, but he's done a lot of things right so far this year. Kopitar under 20 minutes again tonight, which was my biggest gripe with him last year. He's got the team responding and fighting back. They don't get down when scored on, they respond. Outside of a few stupid plays this team should have 5 or 6 points this year. As fans of course we focus on the things that bother us, but there are a lot of positives. Clarke made the team when one of the narratives around here is that he doesn't like rookies. He's had nothing but good things to say about him, and it's pretty likely he's going to stick. Gabe is averaging more TOI per game than Iafallo. Coaching isn't really my worry right now, my biggest concern is sorting out the defense and finding the right combos of the 8 or 9 NHL ready defensemen they have.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Do you guys think Clarke makes it past 9 games?

At this point, I have no idea.
Hard to tell, if they only give him 9 games I really hope they let him run wild for one of them. It's awesome to see him try and jump up in a play, so unfortunate Iafallo didn't give him a pass on that 2 on 1, but you can tell he's playing much safer than he usually does.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
If Iafallo is out for a long period of time we assume he would play with Byfield and Villardi . That could bode very well for Arty the way those 2 have started the season
Give me the BIG KIDS LINE! Average height 6’3, average weight 215 lbs, average age 21. That’s a lot of size and scoring ability there.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Hard to tell, if they only give him 9 games I really hope they let him run wild for one of them. It's awesome to see him try and jump up in a play, so unfortunate Iafallo didn't give him a pass on that 2 on 1, but you can tell he's playing much safer than he usually does.
I'm not sure they are reigning him in at all, I think Clarke is just feeling it out. I wouldn't write too much into it if he is scratched tomorrow as he's still adjusting to NHL rigors, but if he plays that's a strong indicator that the team's mind might already be made up to keep him.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Well Clarke definitely won't be scratched tomorrow because Edler's effed up. Maybe they call someone up to try and arrive before the next game after that.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I am a bit concerned about Doughty's play though.
I am too. 44 and 8 top pairing provides no offense. DD does not push play - he frequently slows everything down which requires forwards to regroup in the neutral zone. He rarely gets a shot through when he does its off target (but thats always been true). Mikey has been solid, but he's never going to provide much O. So for a top pairing they are pretty mediocre offensively. I heard his injury is far from good - still swollen... could be effecting his aggressiveness.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I am too. 44 and 8 top pairing provides no offense. DD does not push play - he frequently slows everything down which requires forwards to regroup in the neutral zone. He rarely gets a shot through when he does its off target (but thats always been true). Mikey has been solid, but he's never going to provide much O. So for a top pairing they are pretty mediocre offensively. I heard his injury is far from good - still swollen... could be effecting his aggressiveness.

Yeah it could definitely be impacting his decisions to get into puck battles or making quick passes. I definitely think that he should not be playing 28 freaking minutes.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
It's just kind of a tough spot for prospects to find their way on the team. You have established vets and then a bunch of young players learning the NHL. When the team is trying to compete then young mistakes will be magnified and players will start second guessing themselves. A part of me thinks that Vilardi just decided to say f*** it, I'm going to play my game. He was upset about being demoted last season and then being moved to wing, now he seems to be playing full of piss and vinegar.
Uh no. Maybe he just took management's advice and worked on his skating (with piss and vinegar).

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
Regarding Kaliyev, it sounds like it was a coach’s decision.

The way I look at it is you can't have too many young guys on the squad at once. I think TM is just trying to get a handle on Byfield and Vilardi. It's good that Kaliyev is knocking at the door. He'll be a great player sooner rather than later for us.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I blame the TOI to a certain extent.

Last year kind of proved you don't need DD back their playing a half hour per game.

When you play that much, you start pacing yourself. It makes you a way less effective player.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
People won’t stop complaining about Walker/Durzi/Roy, yet want Doughty off the first pair Lolol. Guess Clarke will pick up that 28 mins…(though 6 mins to much for Doughty)

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I blame the TOI to a certain extent.

Last year kind of proved you don't need DD back their playing a half hour per game.

When you play that much, you start pacing yourself. It makes you a way less effective player.
Good point re the TOI and pacing

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
People won’t stop complaining about Walker/Durzi/Roy, yet want Doughty off the first pair Lolol. Guess Clarke will pick up that 28 mins…(though 6 mins to much for Doughty)
Yeah get rid of no offense Doughty -- he's scoring at a 1/2 point per game clip as opposed to his .55 career average -- clearly he needs to go.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yeah get rid of no offense Doughty -- he's scoring at a 1/2 point per game clip as opposed to his .55 career average -- clearly he needs to go.
Actually Id like to see him top-paired with a partner more offensive minded so he can be stay at home which is more suited to his 30 min a nite.

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
If AI is hurt, I'm hoping Kaliyev gets a shot on that line with QB and Gabe. And Tonka needs to be a fixture on the 4th line. They looked good tonight.
That line would be a big line. The treesome line.
God forbid we have our stud prospect come in and play his game. Nope let’s neuter him like we’ve done so far with Kaliyev.
You have to break defensemen in the proper way.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Okay who's suggesting Doughty off the first pairing? Is it people who I have on ignore? Or is it the people who suggest he shouldn't be playing 28 minutes right now on the first night of a back-to-back with a still swollen wrist?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad