GDT: 2022-23 season game 38 LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights @7:30pm 12/27/22

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So, essentailly the bought and paid for 2nd line and the journeyman goaltender, along with Vilardi (nice to see him back on the scoresheet) came through for the Kings big last night, while the 1st line produced nothing, but played excessive minutes.

TOI:
So-called 1st line
Kopitar - 23:40
Kempe - 23:24
Fiala - 21:57

Bought and Paid for 2nd line
Danault - 16:09
Arvidsson - 14:55
Iafallo - 15:33

Future of the Franchise
Vilardi - 13:18
Byfield - 8:54
Kupari - 8:06
Kaliyev - DNP (IR)
Grundstrom - DNP
Others still in minors, or languishing on Team Canada's junior team.

I mean, this looks like a plan for long term success in the future to me. How about you? Though I suppose as long as the Kings make the playoffs this year anything can happen, right? The cup is ours!! Plan the parade!!!

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
So, essentailly the bought and paid for 2nd line and the journeyman goaltender, along with Vilardi (nice to see him back on the scoresheet) came through for the Kings big last night, while the 1st line produced nothing, but played excessive minutes.

TOI:
So-called 1st line
Kopitar - 23:40
Kempe - 23:24
Fiala - 21:57

Bought and Paid for 2nd line
Danault - 16:09
Arvidsson - 14:55
Iafallo - 15:33

Future of the Franchise
Vilardi - 13:18
Byfield - 8:54
Kupari - 8:06
Kaliyev - DNP (IR)
Grundstrom - DNP
Others still in minors, or languishing on Team Canada's junior team.

I mean, this looks like a plan for long term success in the future to me. How about you? Though I suppose as long as the Kings make the playoffs this year anything can happen, right? The cup is ours!! Plan the parade!!!
Whut ?

1) Outside of perhaps a few I doubt anyone is planning the parade.
2) There is a possibility that Kopitar, Fiala or Kempe will not register a point for 82 straight games.
3) Kaliyev is doing just fine.

Just keep acting critical for no reason. 👌

You are right that our supposed talents (the big four; Byfield, Fagemo, Spence, Clarke) are perhaps not so great after all or need to show a lot more. Even in limited minutes.

Do not worry, Aatu Jämsen is coming across the pond soon.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Last six games, starting with the road game against Boston, the Kings GAA below 2. Finally figuring out the defensive side of the game without sacrificing all the offense.
Defensive side is not better now.

Kings got good, not great goaltending to change things.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Axl, I rather point you to the thread where you were not convinced that Quick is finished.

I believe it was somewhere on this page;

You think I don't stand by posts I made two weeks ago? You are confusing me with the average, bipolar individuals that frequent this page.

Yeah, there was a point in the game where i thought "where was this effort against ARZ!?"
The same ARZ that beat COL last night? Man, COL must suck.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You think I don't stand by posts I made two weeks ago? You are confusing me with the average, bipolar individuals that frequent this page.

The same ARZ that beat COL last night? Man, COL must suck.

Wrong point, LA played like shit against AZ, no effort...no nothing......COL is missing half their roster, like Vegas.....that's a winnable game for LA

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Vilardi and Byfield logged fewer minutes COMBINED than Anze Kopitar tonight. Kopitar played nearly 24 f***ing minutes tonight.

Byfield and Spence both are being absolutely wasted at the NHL level this year. What the f*** is the point of playing Byfield for 9 minutes a night with shit linemates when he was having a great campaign down in the AHL?

It’s utterly confounding roster management.
100% and dont forget Clarke being wasted too. Not only does he not develop these younger guys, he hurts the confidence but not putting them out there in critical situations. Its worst of everything under TM for younger guys.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Wrong point, LA played like shit against AZ, no effort...no nothing......COL is missing half their roster, like Vegas.....that's a winnable game for LA
Dude, ARZ has 12 wins this season including BOS, FLA and CAR. I’m gonna guess that al those wins are not because the other team was missing half their roster.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Great points about the long-term negative impact by others with the lack of playing time to the future and overplaying some vets. To add on: even the short-term has huge negative consequences too. Like last year, when Kopi was dead worn out by the Edm series and had little left in the tank. You are riding an older horse too much. Maybe last year you can understand a bit because you wanted sooo bad to make the playoffs for appearances and all. But this year, what good is it? It's beyond frustating. If you take some ST lumps, it'll be better overall in the LT (potential playoffs this year and beyond). And if it results in not making the playoffs this year, then so be it. It's not like riding vets are going to get us a SC win. In the playoffs, maybe do so, but not riding them to death now during the regular season.
Whatever, at least we won. Points are great. GKG!

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Arizona is 5-1-1 at home in the month of December, with wins over COL, LAK, and BOS.

They're hosting Toronto next. Should be interesting.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
100% and dont forget Clarke being wasted too. Not only does he not develop these younger guys, he hurts the confidence but not putting them out there in critical situations. Its worst of everything under TM for younger guys.
Just a reminder boyz, the goal is to win games…not babysit. Hats off to TM for getting a solid effort out of these guys after the Xmas break. Let’s go!

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Just a reminder boyz, the goal is to win games…not babysit.
Actually, that's not true. Way too simplistic. In the playoffs -- sure it's basically win each game at all costs. But during the season, there are sooooo many factors at play beyond simply winning game #X. Otherwise you would have your top 4-5 guys playing half the game all season and your top goalie playing all 82 games -- screw the consequences and screw the young guys (young guys who can develop and help win playoff games THIS year).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
When is Quick going to start next I wonder?

Kings don't have a back-to-back situation until Jan 21-22nd.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Happy about the Kings actually being pretty good lately and a beating Vegas always puts a smile on my face.

Allowing 5 goals every other game was stressful as hell, now they seem a bit more structured and not just trading rushes all game long. Giving Copley a lot of credit too, he's been great. Concerns about ice time and lineup decisions are valid but for now I'm just happy they're playing better hockey.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
When is Quick going to start next I wonder?

Kings don't have a back-to-back situation until Jan 21-22nd.
Honestly, let him sit and rest untill he needs to be started for whatever reason.

A rested quick can steal an occasional game, but not very many.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Actually, that's not true. Way too simplistic. In the playoffs -- sure it's basically win each game at all costs. But during the season, there are sooooo many factors at play beyond simply winning game #X. Otherwise you would have your top 4-5 guys playing half the game all season and your top goalie playing all 82 games -- screw the consequences and screw the young guys (young guys who can develop and help win playoff games THIS year).
Nobody is getting screwed, you guys are just overly dramatic.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

100%, who isn't helping, Vilardi, Kaliyev, Durzi, Lizotte? Who?

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Just a reminder boyz, the goal is to win games…not babysit. Hats off to TM for getting a solid effort out of these guys after the Xmas break. Let’s go!
The goal is to win the cup in the end. You need some modicum of young cheap talent to get there in the cap era. We are at the cap and have big holes in goal (unless Copley keeps it up) and esp on D. Development is not babysitting.. its the art of giving younger players opportunities to improve and have success... TM is terrible at this. But its also on Blake not creating space in the roster for young guys to fill in.

Reactions: Statto

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Just a baffling hire all around. Todd was always known as a veterans’ coach. Why he was entrusted with this rebuild is knowledge known only to Rob Blake.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The goal is to win the cup in the end. You need some modicum of young cheap talent to get there in the cap era. We are at the cap and have big holes in goal (unless Copley keeps it up) and esp on D. Development is not babysitting.. its the art of giving younger players opportunities to improve and have success... TM is terrible at this. But its also on Blake not creating space in the roster for young guys to fill in.

D has not been great this year, not by any stretch of the imagination, especially compared to last year....

Now you have to ask, is that structure/system......or is it the players? You can CLEARLY see the structure/system erode, change, with more emphasis on scoring, by the improvement of the scoring, so much so the pendelum went the other way entirely,

But realistically what you are trying to argue, is that the players we had on defense, are MUCH DIFFERENT/(BETTER) last year......than they are this year, despite being what, 80% the same? How does that equate to the personnel being the issue, and not the change in system/structure

Just a baffling hire all around. Todd was always known as a veterans’ coach. Why he was entrusted with this rebuild is knowledge known only to Rob Blake.

100%, I mean top, what, 20 in coaches win....hired......absolutely mind blowingly baffling.....only if we didn't hire someone who had won so much before in the past....

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
“It’s all about meaningless wins now” is legitimately the same thought process that drug the kings to the darkest days of their black hole years.

Winning 40ish games and making the playoffs just to get bounced in the first round is a horrid game plan.

You’ve gotta develop homegrown talent in NHL games if you want to be successful. Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad