GDT: 2022-23 season game 37 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @6:30pm 12/23/22

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Do not resign, his style is scouted and outdated. Resign Copley. Pro tip: the sooner you do the cheaper it will be, and less competition for an RFA that has caught the leagues attention.. Don't want to end up paying Cal money. He has the winning modern style. You need another vet to be the third guy /starter in Ontario, just like Copper was this year. And you give Pete a shot at redemption because of his contract.
I agree, mostly. We are stuck for 2 more with Cal. If Cal can't get back up as the backup sign Quick for minimum wage for 1 year.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I agree, mostly. We are stuck for 2 more with Cal. If Cal can't get back up as the backup sign Quick for minimum wage for 1 year.
Copper is coming up on the 30 day rule / or 8 games , I think. He would have to clear waivers and therefore he would not , after that. You could send him down before that but he has been the major Catalyst in the Kings getting wins including in the shootouts that I dont think that makes sense. I think Copper would have to stay down in the AHL for 8 starts or 30 days after that? Cal may therfore be in the AHL until the end of the year or a goalie injury. You could try to send Quick down but a team may try to claim him as a backup on the way down or back up, given his playoff history as recenty as last year. Plus 2 cups and a Connie future HOF, make this a public relations nightmare. He may not report if he was not claimed. So Blake wont try that.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Copper is coming up on the 30 day rule / or 8 games , I think. He would have to clear waivers and therefore he would not , after that. You could send him down before that but he has been the major Catalyst in the Kings getting wins including in the shootouts that I dont think that makes sense. I think Copper would have to stay down in the AHL for 8 starts or 30 days after that? Cal may therfore be in the AHL until the end of the year or a goalie injury. You could try to send Quick down but a team may try to claim him as a backup on the way down or back up, given his playoff history as recenty as last year. Plus 2 cups and a Connie future HOF, make this a public relations nightmare. He may not report if he was not claimed. So Blake wont try that.
Copper isn't going anywhere.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The Kings can not afford to lose any grit unless it is replaced equally or better. He does need a remedial playing smart hockey class. This also includes Roy. Durzi, should be in OT but he has scared TMaxc away after proving to be a major liability.
Iafallo is engine grease whatever part of the motor needs it, you just slap it on. He played well with Kopitar when the Kings were thin, played well with Villardi and Byfield. Now he is playing well with Danault and Moore (who was poor the last couple). 1st line 2nd line, 3rd line, he makes others better or happy to be playing with him. PP , PK. the guy is a catalyst you absolutely do not trade.

I would start Danault just to have a better chance at winning the opening draw.
Kopi is 57.9 %, Danault is 52.4% on the year

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
My bad, he has picked it up, the last few weeks. Thanks Mojo.
I had to look it up.. i recall Kopi going 8/10 game before last or something crazy. I really dont like either of them out there other than faceoffs... because you need to be able to mad dash to get back on D.. that is something Spence Fiala and Kempe can do.. then next 3 woudl be Durzi (not fast but not better options), Moore and Arvy. On faceoff sub in Kopi or Danault. On an icing you're screwed - but that doesnt happen often in 3 on 3. Note: Roy shouldnt touch the ice in OT

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I had to look it up.. i recall Kopi going 8/10 game before last or something crazy. I really dont like either of them out there other than faceoffs... because you need to be able to mad dash to get back on D.. that is something Spence Fiala and Kempe can do.. then next 3 woudl be Durzi (not fast but not better options), Moore and Arvy. On faceoff sub in Kopi or Danault. On an icing you're screwed - but that doesnt happen often in 3 on 3. Note: Roy shouldnt touch the ice in OT
👍

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Happy for the points but as we saw last year, being dependent on OT points is not a way to be a good team. I want the Kings to start winning convincingly in regulation. Hopefully they get a LD asap.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Lemieux: ideally you want your agitator to get under the other teams skin & draw dumb penalties. Refs just don't want to deal with Lemieux & tag him with an extra penalty so he has to behave. Other teams can target him & get the free PP. Can't play his game with his reputation.

Doughty :laugh:. You're better than that. Right?

Banked a point.

Chychrun not worth trading for. No PK, bad at PP, bad pinches, which is probably where his points come from. Passing is bad.

If you can get Copley & Quick resigned cheap enough maybe there's enough cap to buy out Cal.
After the bonus in the first year, the buyout really isn't that bad. Although burying Cal in the minors & replacing with a 1M back up is an even cap hit for next year. Buying out the last year is 1M, 2M cap hit. Not bad. Some big contracts up by then & cap should be going up.

Reactions: tbrown33

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Happy for the points but as we saw last year, being dependent on OT points is not a way to be a good team. I want the Kings to start winning convincingly in regulation. Hopefully they get a LD asap.
Sol you have the fan tenacity of Lizotte... as for the roster its not built to contend this year.. so Im not going to get bent about it. If they keep a good record and make a deadline deal to address the most obvious hole at LD - that might get them past the 1st round. Does the Copulator continue to have success? He's never been a starter - it will be a Christmas miracle if he continues the way he's played... its not out of the question.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Sol you have the fan tenacity of Lizotte... as for the roster its not built to contend this year.. so Im not going to get bent about it. If they keep a good record and make a deadline deal to address the most obvious hole at LD - that might get them past the 1st round. Does the Copulator continue to have success? He's never been a starter - it will be a Christmas miracle if he continues the way he's played... its not out of the question.
There's contend for the cup & do some damage in the playoffs. if King's can get a center breaking out by the end of the year, find a LD & get a hot goalie for a couple of series, they have the forward depth to make things interesting.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Here's a stat I find hard to believe. Since the 2014-15 season, Matt Roy is 5th in games played among defensemen, 4th in points, and first in plus/minus at +37.

Conversely, Walker is 7th in games played, 5th in points, and literally dead last in plus/minus. He's a -38 in 192 games. That's an insane disparity between those two.

Finally, Sean Durzi is approaching his 100th game in LA (currently at 98 games played after tonight), is 7th in points, and 35th out of 39 defensemen in plus/minus at -16.

Reactions: lumbergh

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I just think the Kings should be at the place in their trajectory where they should be better than most of the teams in the division convincingly

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I just think the Kings should be at the place in their trajectory where they should be better than most of the teams in the division convincingly
Yes and the Oilers shouldve been a dynasty with all their #1 picks. The Kings 2oa, 5oa, and 11oa 2018, 2019, 2020 only 1 is producing and just started this season. Blake traded his way into a having an almost-contender - signed a very good FA Fiala... he got a good D in 2021 that is not ready yet and nothing in the pipe for goal. So due to the slow development of the high pick forwards Blake spent a lot of resources on signing forwards (Kempe and Fiala) ... where if 1 or 2 of the fwd prospects was producing before this year, he may have moved Kempe (or RV) and spent his resources on defense and goal and not signed Fiala. So as it is, the roster is 2 or 3 moves away (D and goal) from being strong enough for a real run... now there is too much money tied up in forwards, and it will take moving 1 or 2 of them to create cap space for D and goal.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yes and the Oilers shouldve been a dynasty with all their #1 picks. The Kings 2oa, 5oa, and 11oa 2018, 2019, 2020 only 1 is producing and just started this season. Blake traded his way into a having an almost-contender - signed a very good FA Fiala... he got a good D in 2021 that is not ready yet and nothing in the pipe for goal. So due to the slow development of the high pick forwards Blake spent a lot of resources on signing forwards (Kempe and Fiala) ... where if 1 or 2 of the fwd prospects was producing before this year, he may have moved Kempe (or RV) and spent his resources on defense and goal and not signed Fiala. So as it is, the roster is 2 or 3 moves away (D and goal) from being strong enough for a real run... now there is too much money tied up in forwards, and it will take moving 1 or 2 of them to create cap space for D and goal.
Don’t know the point with the oilers comparison. All I am saying is the Kings should be making lighter work with these games. All this OT stuff while it’s good the Kings are getting points through the gimmicks of regular season Ot, id rather have them win games convincingly instead against all the bad teams. Kings have a lot of offensive fire power but yeah I think they’re one LD away like Chychrun from becoming a consistent good team

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Given how poor the division is you are correct. I don’t understand how they struggle in these games so much. It has to be mental because I can’t otherwise explain it.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Kings lost? Are they waiting to fire TM after Xmas? That’s the right thing to do.
The recent results means he’s earned some more rope but they are mostly games, bar Boston, that they should have won. The Flames on form should have been a win, a OT win you’d be OK with and the other 3 in this run should have all been comfortable regulation wins.

So I’m very much open to the idea that this may be the start of some consistent performances but let’s not get over excited given the context of the wins. Equally my previously stated concerns weren’t just about the one loss in Buffalo, even if the manner of the collapse was a massive low. Let’s see how they perform over a longer stretch and more importantly how they approach the games where they hit some adversity. That’ll tell us far more. I hope it’s turned around, I really do but it’s too early to be certain of that.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That game was awful, I got stuck with the Coyotes broadast, the camera angels were brutal, the Coyotes Jerseys were god awful....and the Kings were lethargic, disinterested, most of them weren't in the game....Quick looked bored as hell....

Every team will have one of those, but man........did not need to stay that late to watch that I will tell you that now

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The recent results means he’s earned some more rope but they are mostly games, bar Boston, that they should have won. The Flames on form should have been a win, a OT win you’d be OK with and the other 3 in this run should have all been comfortable regulation wins.

So I’m very much open to the idea that this may be the start of some consistent performances but let’s not get over excited given the context of the wins. Equally my previously stated concerns weren’t just about the one loss in Buffalo, even if the manner of the collapse was a massive low. Let’s see how they perform over a longer stretch and more importantly how they approach the games where they hit some adversity. That’ll tell us far more. I hope it’s turned around, I really do but it’s too early to be certain of that.
Yup. In this magical 5 game streak they have what? 1 regulation win? Pretty underwhelming.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Figured this would be a let down game so happy to have a point....I dont bet too often but Coyotes on the Money Line were +170 and the spread was yotes +1.5 goals- knew that was a great bet.

That said...cant be too upset after back to back games and nice run of victories.

That said next stretch of 6 games going to tell the tale....

2 against Vegas, Avs in Col, Boston(they wont be happy), Dallas(never easy) and Philly.

That game was awful, I got stuck with the Coyotes broadast, the camera angels were brutal, the Coyotes Jerseys were god awful....and the Kings were lethargic, disinterested, most of them weren't in the game....Quick looked bored as hell....
Pretty good recap there. Yotes jersey ugly as sin...like taking the worst colors the Ducks have ever used with the worst logo the Yotes have ever used. Up there with the worst in history next to these....
1671902843757.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad