GDT: 2022-23 season game 37 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @6:30pm 12/23/22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think the Kings mailed it in or anything. They're just a mediocre team, playing in a back-to-back situation, coming off a big game, against a Coyotes team that's been tough at home. What'd you expect?

A regulation win against a .422, -30 team after a series of squeakers vs. other lottery teams feels like it would have been a nice christmas gift.

I'm trying to be optimistic but I think they're about to get beaten to a pulp.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Not sure if anyone watched the game on the Coyotes broadcast but they said something about Kopitar I don’t I’ve ever heard before..

They called Kopitar one of the greatest two way players to ever play the game.. Very high praise and they also said he was extremely underrated… you would have thought Kopi was in his 20s with the way they were describing him

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Not sure if anyone watched the game on the Coyotes broadcast but they said something about Kopitar I don’t I’ve ever heard before..

They called Kopitar one of the greatest two way players to ever play the game.. Very high praise and they also said he was extremely underrated… you would have thought Kopi was in his 20s with the way they were describing him
Yeah that was Tyson Nash saying that. He was praising him all game long.

The also said on the Coyotes broadcast that Troy Stretcher was playing forward.

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
Yeah that was Tyson Nash saying that. He was praising him all game long.
Yeah, he was quite effusive (I thought I heard him say something like, "One of the greatest players of this generation," which might be a tad too effusive, and I'm very much pro-Kopitar).

I will say: I really enjoyed their presentation overall - they called the game well, their broadcast team had good synergy (*cough*cough*), and the intermission pieces were mildly interesting without being cheesy (*cough*cough*).

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
Kings upcoming schedule:

VGK (1st place)
COL (defending champ)
PHI
DAL (1st place)
BOS (1st place)
VGK (1st place)

Damn. That's a tough stretch. Be lucky to go .500
Aside from Colorado, who just has our number, I like our chances in all of these. Listen, the Kings have warts for sure, but they are not near as bad as some on the board think they are.
it will an interesting trade deadline for Blake.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Aside from Colorado, who just has our number, I like our chances in all of these. Listen, the Kings have warts for sure, but they are not near as bad as some on the board think they are.

I actually think Colorado is one of the most winnable. Nichushkin is out, day to day. Byram is still on IR. Manson, MacKinnon, and Landeskog out until January. They've been on a bit of a run with 4 straight lately, but they aren't walloping teams. 1 shootout win and 2 OT ones. They just aren't playing that well right now without their big guns.

Dallas has been kind of giving us fits lately, and I'm sure Boston will be flying. We are playing better than Vegas at the moment.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The Pacific is a borderline AHL division so I think the Vegas games are winnable.

Definitely gonna get smoked by Boston and Dallas. Colorado is a tossup with all of their injuries. Philly who knows.

I think we go 1-3-1.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

They aren’t wrong about his overall career though. We take him for granted and if we used him more like Bergeron is used by Boston (18 mins per game) I’m sure he’d be more consistent and dominant.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Re Kopi, he's toast as a 1C - but Fiala is starting to be the main play maker on that line - acting like a center - with Kopi getting open for shots. He has never used his shot as much as he should always focusing on making his linemates successful. This could revitalize him in playing more of a shooting role.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Re Kopi, he's toast as a 1C - but Fiala is starting to be the main play maker on that line - acting like a center - with Kopi getting open for shots. He has never used his shot as much as he should always focusing on making his linemates successful. This could revitalize him in playing more of a shooting role.
Yup, I like Kopi driving and parking his ass in front of the net

Reactions: AbsentMojo

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Yeah, he was quite effusive (I thought I heard him say something like, "One of the greatest players of this generation," which might be a tad too effusive, and I'm very much pro-Kopitar).

I will say: I really enjoyed their presentation overall - they called the game well, their broadcast team had good synergy (*cough*cough*), and the intermission pieces were mildly interesting without being cheesy (*cough*cough*).
His generation includes Crosby, Malkin, Ovie, Bergeron.. etc,. He’s is arguably the best two way player from his generation and the biggest what If would be how many more points would he have had he not played on the Kings.
Crosby has Malkin
Ovie and Backstrom
Bergeron has The Rat and Pasta

Kopi had Kopi

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Whether they're that good or that bad, the results of coughing up multiple goal third period leads and having to go to OT repeatedly vs. lottery teams puts a damper on my spirits. Wins are points in the standings sure but these guys were a few skills competitions and goaltending performances away from losing 4-5 games vs. all the bottom teams in the league mostly at home straight. That doesn't encourage me for the upcoming stretch at all.

I'd love to be completely wrong because it's encouraging that they've found a way to get points but they barely won the special olympics over the last week or so and nothing else appears to have changed except the opponents.

Reactions: Gjwrams

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
He's come on strong since about the 2nd week of November, thats' for sure

Danault, unfortunately, has compensated the opposite direction
Whats up with Danault this year you think hes hurt?
Looks like a completely different guy than last year.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
His generation includes Crosby, Malkin, Ovie, Bergeron.. etc,. He’s is arguably the best two way player from his generation and the biggest what If would be how many more points would he have had he not played on the Kings.
Crosby has Malkin
Ovie and Backstrom
Bergeron has The Rat and Pasta

Kopi had Kopi

People forget that Kopitar had 77 points as a 20 year old during a very low scoring era of the NHL. That was the year before TM arrived.

Without TM coming in and reshaping the way he played hockey, Kopitar would’ve been a perennial 90 point player throughout his prime.

Whats up with Danault this year you think hes hurt?
Looks like a completely different guy than last year.

He had a ludicrously unsustainable season in 21/22, and everyone paying attention to his underlying stats was predicting a regression.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
People forget that Kopitar had 77 points as a 20 year old during a very low scoring era of the NHL. That was the year before TM arrived.

Without TM coming in and reshaping the way he played hockey, Kopitar would’ve been a perennial 90 point player throughout his prime.

He had a ludicrously unsustainable season in 21/22, and everyone paying attention to his underlying stats was predicting a regression.
Yup and In head to heads, Kopi outperformed the Crosby’s, Bergeron’s and many more elite centers. Granted he’s at the tail end of his HOF career but looked what playing with a talent like Fiala is doing for him.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
I'll never broach this on the main boards due to the servers crashing but Kopitar is, has and always will be the better hockey player between him and Bergeron

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

It is definitely true. While we know his worth, sometimes it is easy to forget just how dominant he was as the years go by. Honestly, props to Kopi for also finding a way to stay productive. I was surprised that he has been able to keep up numbers this season. Obviously, Fiala is our best player now and has factored in his production, but if it weren't for him Kopi would still probably be our most productive forward for better or worse.

It has been said ad nauseum, but if he were on the east coast and given the same support and teammates as someone like Bergeron, he would have 10 times the reverence around the fandom. Although, I think the league, players, coaches, NHL staff, etc. sees him pretty clearly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad