GDT: 2022-23 season game 37 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @6:30pm 12/23/22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I think you could debate either way.

On one hand Bergeron is comparatively overrated and Kopitar underrated due to both markets and countries. However, fortunately, boston fans are very flattering of Kopitar and many put them on the same level.

I think Bergeron is an underrated complementary player--he's great offensively with his elite wingers, and obviously played like a madman next to Crosby for Canada. I'm not convinced Kopitar can do similar.

On the flip side, Kopitar I personally think is better at being 'the guy,' I'm not sure Bergeron could carry a team in similar manner, and I don't mean that as in insult to Patrice but a compliment to Anze.

I do think, ultimately, Bergeron is the better strictly defensive player, Anze the better offensive player, and personally I believe Anze to be the better all-around player, but I'm not opposed to the opposite argument, I think it's very close or at the least VERY debateable. I DO think if Bergeron were not playing Anze would have several more Selkes and isntead of talking about Bergeron as possibly the best defensive forward ever they're talking about Kopitar being the best defensively of this era nad in the end that's the real crime here, Bergeron's shadow.

Reactions: Fripp

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think you could debate either way.

On one hand Bergeron is comparatively overrated and Kopitar underrated due to both markets and countries. However, fortunately, boston fans are very flattering of Kopitar and many put them on the same level.

I think Bergeron is an underrated complementary player--he's great offensively with his elite wingers, and obviously played like a madman next to Crosby for Canada. I'm not convinced Kopitar can do similar.

On the flip side, Kopitar I personally think is better at being 'the guy,' I'm not sure Bergeron could carry a team in similar manner, and I don't mean that as in insult to Patrice but a compliment to Anze.

I do think, ultimately, Bergeron is the better strictly defensive player, Anze the better offensive player, and personally I believe Anze to be the better all-around player, but I'm not opposed to the opposite argument, I think it's very close or at the least VERY debateable. I DO think if Bergeron were not playing Anze would have several more Selkes and isntead of talking about Bergeron as possibly the best defensive forward ever they're talking about Kopitar being the best defensively of this era nad in the end that's the real crime here, Bergeron's shadow.
See that’s the thing RJ, when Bergeron won 3 Selkes in 4 seasons, Kopi was better if not equal to Bergeron in each season.
I know we harp on the East coast bias a lot but it’s true. Kopi should have 2-3 more Selkes, he should have a Hart and more.. but writers/voters remember what they saw last and it wasn’t Kings games at midnight

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
See that’s the thing RJ, when Bergeron won 3 Selkes in 4 seasons, Kopi was better if not equal to Bergeron in each season.
I know we harp on the East coast bias a lot but it’s true. Kopi should have 2-3 more Selkes, he should have a Hart and more.. but writers/voters remember what they saw last and it wasn’t Kings games at midnight

I was definitely more miffed about the Hart than those Selkes

Strictly on the defensive side I'd have to go back and look when it was but I agree there should be at least 1 more selke in there...maybe two depending on how much you want to argue bergeron's metrics were helped by teammates. I do think Koptiar had the 'harder' job and that should factor in but I never want to say bad about Bergeron either and I think it comes off that way.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I was definitely more miffed about the Hart than those Selkes

Strictly on the defensive side I'd have to go back and look when it was but I agree there should be at least 1 more selke in there...maybe two depending on how much you want to argue bergeron's metrics were helped by teammates. I do think Koptiar had the 'harder' job and that should factor in but I never want to say bad about Bergeron either and I think it comes off that way.
Agreed, I also wanted to highlight those things as far too many people seems to think all Kopitar was through his career was just consistent Kopi..

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Kopitar is measured by playoff success. Same with Doughty because of their outsized cap hits over max term deals. At their numbers, they need to be putting up a ton of points and making the playoffs 75% of the time, YoY.

To be truly worth it, the team needs to make some deep runs over that window. One cup final minimum and a bunch of second round appearances. Zero complaints if anything even remotely close to any of that happened. But instead, they’ve been paid for past performance prior to their big deals.

You can love them for what they mean to the franchise while also feel like there should have been more.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I think Kopitar is a slightly superior player in a vacuum (bigger, stronger, better offensively). Kopitar also had the misfortune of being, you know, an LA King. Boston has managed to stay competitive for nearly 20 years straight whereas LA really only put together three great seasons in 2012-2014.

Bergeron elevates his game to an insane level during critical moments. You could argue Kopitar is more consistent, though.

Kopitar’s legacy as a captain won’t be great. Conversely, Bergeron may get dinged for playing with a loooooot of talent throughout his career.

Tough to say. Both first ballot HoFers for sure, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad