GDT: 2022-23 season game 21 LA Kings vs Seattle Kraken @7:00pm 11/19/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Somewhat good news.
Petersen stole a point for us last night, got lucky with a few posts though. Kept it close all game and earned a point on a back to back.

Bad news.
We were dominated physically. Seattle is building a hard to play against physical team...Vegas, Flames are already there. Oilers have their 2 headed monster + with Kane back next year they won't be easy to play against either.

I don't see this version of the Kings making any waves this playoff season (if we get there). We are 3-4 players away from contending and one of them is eventually finding a 1C. Kopitar just can't keep up with the speed of the game anymore.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Yeah terrible play by Walker there. And I thought RV played the 2 on 1 pretty well.

Also didn’t help that Petersen’s 5 hole is big enough to drive a battleship through sideways. For a big guy he sure seems small in net.

I never noticed his size before you mentioned it.
Always thought he is 5'11 or something and was surprise that he is 6'2.

His biggest flaws is that he is playing very deep in in the crease and never gets out to shorten then angle to the shooter. Beside that he never has his gloves up and his pads are not cemented to the ice when in butterfly.

Those are the basics they teach kids when they start playing goalie.
The fact that this is not natural to him, being 27 years old, makes me doubt a great goalie career in the NHL

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Somewhat good news.
Petersen stole a point for us last night, got lucky with a few posts though. Kept it close all game and earned a point on a back to back.

I don't see this version of the Kings making any waves this playoff season (if we get there). We are 3-4 players away from contending.
Yes
And yes

The team needs to get younger and Petersen's game last night was super important to the future.
Cal and his dog Spot should get the next start. If we can transition to Petersen successfully this year it'll be a win.
We also need to incorporate,Clarke and Spence and get a d-man who eats babies and puppies

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
The continued inability to win against Pacific teams--you know, the ones you play several times and actually scout you instead of a one-off on the east coast in November--is the clearest indication of the biggest criticisms of TM.

I'm so over it I don't even want to post anymore. The repetition at this point is feeling like the last days of Terry Murray.

Thank goodness we have to defeat central teams if we want to reach the finals :D

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
11-8-2 in 21 games, 24 points. We are basically 2 points off the mark that would make us on pace for a 100-point season -- is that really that bad? Right now, the Kings are in a position exactly where most would have predicted them to be -- in a playoff spot, on the fringe. I suppose if we had won all the games we 'should' have, we'd be on pace for 120 points, and that's TOTALLY realistic, yes?? Get a grip.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
RE: Kaliyev, as much as he is now the golden boy around here, he was terrible last night. If the mantra is going to be this guy needs to be a 1st-liner, then he needs to be called out when he sucks.

Reactions: kilowatt

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Anyone else having glitchy feeds? It was terrible last night. Trying to figure out if it was my cable or the Bally’s production. Other channels don’t seem to be doing it.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Anyone else having glitchy feeds? It was terrible last night. Trying to figure out if it was my cable or the Bally’s production. Other channels don’t seem to be doing it.
Yep, same. I noticed it on the VAN game as well. I tried switching DVRs as I thought that was the problem , but same issue which leads me to believe it was the feed.

I have seen this before though on past games. I work with video, so stuff like that jumps out at me and drives me crazy.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
RE: Kaliyev, as much as he is now the golden boy around here, he was terrible last night. If the mantra is going to be this guy needs to be a 1st-liner, then he needs to be called out when he sucks.
Feeding your incessant desire to be vindicated of hot takes is all fine and dandy, but a guy getting fourth line minutes is hardly the reason for such a pedestrian effort against a divisional opponent.

Reactions: Schmooley

bland

Jul 1, 2004
This roster is not constructed to deal with heavy, physical opponents. Edmonton is about the softest team in the league and they have no problem roughing up the Kings. Its going to be very, very difficult to win one playoff series, much less multiple series unless Blake brings in several sturdy, sizeable players on the back and on the wing.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
11-8-2 in 21 games, 24 points. We are basically 2 points off the mark that would make us on pace for a 100-point season -- is that really that bad? Right now, the Kings are in a position exactly where most would have predicted them to be -- in a playoff spot, on the fringe. I suppose if we had won all the games we 'should' have, we'd be on pace for 120 points, and that's TOTALLY realistic, yes?? Get a grip.
Its not bad, its mediocre.

And a mediocre that isn't going to improve by over-playing the same older players in the exact same spots night after night. Progress is delayed here at the cost of maintaining mediocrity.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Feeding your incessant desire to be vindicated of hot takes is all fine and dandy, but a guy getting fourth line minutes is hardly the reason for such a pedestrian effort against a divisional opponent.
Don’t see the need to make it personal…you can’t deny that there’s a LOT of talk on this board about Kaliyev and his usage. Not saying he’s the reason they lost, but if we are going to glorify the guy constantly, we should be able to admit when he’s not looking the part, which is way more often than you guys allude to.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Yep, same. I noticed it on the VAN game as well. I tried switching DVRs as I thought that was the problem , but same issue which leads me to believe it was the feed.

I have seen this before though on past games. I work with video, so stuff like that jumps out at me and drives me crazy.
Nearly unwatchable

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

The critiques are less about the results and more about the process, as usual.

But in this case it's mirrored in the results and with divisional playoff brackets you can't just hand wave them.

This season, Kings are 1-4-1 vs. the pacific. Vs everyone else, that's 5-2-1 vs. the Central, 5 and freaking 0 vs. the Atlantic, 0-2 vs the met so far. Going back to last season, the Kings' record vs. the Pacific is 13-14-5; less than .500 vs. your own (bad) division is utter trash. They were 23-6-3 vs. the east! That's a huge discrepancy that needs to be addressed, and why some of us are so critical--there's THAT much potential there. No, I don't expect a 125-point pace vs. everyone, but asking for them to reconcicle split the difference between that and and 41 vs. your own division doesn't seem like an unfair critique.

Pick your poison--if the roster isn't constructed to compete within our own division, that's on Blake; if it is but we just aren't getting the results for some reason (cough history of choking/lack of adjustments cough), that's on TM. No one in the league will agree we're not more talented on paper than anyone but Vegas.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
It's crazy that they had a game plan when facing Edmonton, but not against other teams. I'm sure part of it was because of the playoffs last year and wanting revenge, but you can't scout other teams to see what adjustments might need to be made?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
So many issues on this team. Tons of talent and potential, but going nowhere fast under TMac and Blake.
Was watching the Leafs last night close Buffalo out and they get a PP a minute to go. They did not send out their A-team to intentionally run the score up. And then I think about how Blake went out and hired the coach who did just that in the playoffs, and sparked a historic reverse sweep. With that hire he effectively said “That’s our guy. That’s the identity I want to stamp this team with.”

I joked earlier this season about how we’ve achieved our mission to become the New Jersey Devils of last year. It may be even worse. We’re trying to be the Sharks.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm not really that put off by the loss.

The Kings have had an an unfair schedule IMO. They've come out of it with a winning record. Things start to normalize from here.

I have my complaints about Todd, but the truth is any other guy you bring in would likely manage the team the same way. Todd is an average coach and they all have blind spots.

The cap has created parity. And parity creates frustrating hockey because it makes teams feel directionless. Win a few, lose a few. Rinse repeat. That's the modern NHL for 90% of the teams.

Reactions: David Lunch

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
YEah everythign else aside the schedule has been absolutely excruciating. Luckily the travel and time eases up a bit here for a moment at least. But I don't see the Kings getting any of those long breaks that other teams have, it's rough.

Sheesh it really barely does, I can only see two upcoming weeks where they're at home with a couple of days between games...in December they AGAIN embark on a road trip with crazy 3 in 4s and b2bs, 6 in 10 across provinces, states, and time zones....Ott, Tor, MTL then B2B AT CBJ in less than 24 hours, then buffalo and boston

there's also this

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Was watching the Leafs last night close Buffalo out and they get a PP a minute to go. They did not send out their A-team to intentionally run the score up. And then I think about how Blake went out and hired the coach who did just that in the playoffs, and sparked a historic reverse sweep. With that hire he effectively said “That’s our guy. That’s the identity I want to stamp this team with.”

I joked earlier this season about how we’ve achieved our mission to become the New Jersey Devils of last year. It may be even worse. We’re trying to be the Sharks.
Yup imagine hiring the guy who got reverse swept. Seriously. Lol

I know we complain about the rest but it’s really inexcusable with how bad they have been

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yup imagine hiring the guy who got reverse swept. Seriously. Lol

I know we complain about the rest but it’s really inexcusable with how bad they have been

How bad have they been? Feel free to answer that with a thought out answer that you can actually point to, were they bad when they shut down EDM and MN? How about when they beat FLA, one of the supposed better teams in the league, or Tampa?

So again, how BAD they have been?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Yeah, Blake’s about used up all his equity with me. He has a good instinct for trades. Hit or miss with free agent signings. But he’s not the guy to get this team over the hump. His coaching decisions have all been god awful.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I get kind of annoyed when people put the 100 point mark on the pedestal like it's a great team accomplishment or something.

Nearly half the teams in the NHL had 100 point seasons last year.

Out of the 16 playoff teams (half the league), only 3 didn't have 100 points: Kings (99), Stars (98), Preds (97).

100 points isn't good. It's in the average-to-slightly-above-average range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad