GDT: 2022-23 season game 21 LA Kings vs Seattle Kraken @7:00pm 11/19/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
How bad have they been? Feel free to answer that with a thought out answer that you can actually point to, were they bad when they shut down EDM and MN? How about when they beat FLA, one of the supposed better teams in the league, or Tampa?

So again, how BAD they have been?
They're hanging around 0.500. That's fine for this part of the season.

The King's are frustrating because of the talent they have & the inability to utilize it. Kopitar isn't meshing with Kempe or Fiala. Iafallo is out so one of them is stuck with Kopi. There's no 3C. King's deal with Kupari adjusting to the NHL or watching Lizotte be in over his head. Right now they have Danault's line that looks good.

Defense, slow & no transition. King's have some very fast players & don't utilize their speed on attack. The puck isn't getting from the D to the forwards. The question here is do you try & fix the D for this year or 2 years from now? That could change who is available.

Power play, Doughty is not the best option on the power play. Short of trading Doughty, how do you get him off the 1st PP? Transition PP2 into the first one without telling anyone. Kopitar could probably do well going net front like Pavelski. PP is frustrating because they aren't using the best lineup.

Todd makes decisions that cost points. 22 & 33 for instance.

Team isn't playing up to its potential. With all the forward depth this is a one line team, with below average defense, bad special teams & questionable goaltending.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
They're hanging around 0.500. That's fine for this part of the season.

The King's are frustrating because of the talent they have & the inability to utilize it. Kopitar isn't meshing with Kempe or Fiala. Iafallo is out so one of them is stuck with Kopi. There's no 3C. King's deal with Kupari adjusting to the NHL or watching Lizotte be in over his head. Right now they have Danault's line that looks good.

Defense, slow & no transition. King's have some very fast players & don't utilize their speed on attack. The puck isn't getting from the D to the forwards. The question here is do you try & fix the D for this year or 2 years from now? That could change who is available.

Power play, Doughty is not the best option on the power play. Short of trading Doughty, how do you get him off the 1st PP? Transition PP2 into the first one without telling anyone. Kopitar could probably do well going net front like Pavelski. PP is frustrating because they aren't using the best lineup.

Todd makes decisions that cost points. 22 & 33 for instance.

Team isn't playing up to its potential. With all the forward depth this is a one line team, with below average defense, bad special teams & questionable goaltending.

Exactly.

They're in a tough spot, and it's that spot quite a few of us pointed out for the last 2 or so seasons--Rob Blake is now dealing with the hard part, a team with expectations trying to get over the hump while the clock ticks on their vets and isn't blooming the kids yet. What happens now matters most, do we fizzle out like the Flames, dying as a black hole team for a decade, or do they Colorado/TBL it up? I think most will agree the talent is there, and losing to less talented teams all trip is what's frustrating--these guys still don't have an identity. They went full defensive playoff-style juggernaught vs. the Oilers, only to play preseason shinny vs. the Flames, a disinterested embarassing flop vs. vancouver, and a game where they got out-systemed vs. Seattle.

I can't confidently say I trust TM to take this team to the next level and while the jury is out on Blake, it's crunch time quickly.

But maybe both of these guys should be in the Eastern Conference instead of the Pacific.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
There's no 3C. King's deal with Kupari adjusting to the NHL or watching Lizotte be in over his head. Right now they have Danault's line that looks good.
I still think Kupari should end up a winger. His best games in the NHL have been on the wing. Looked much better playing a simple game and hitting on the forecheck as the first man in instead of being the high man.
Kings have a lot of expectations for centers and all the young guys look like they are overthinking things trying to play like Kopitar and take his routes.

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
You sound like a fan who just purchased a really expensive custom jersey then decided it was a great idea to throw it on the ice because your team lost a game.
The fact that would never cross my mind, but it did yours, leads me to believe the pot might be calling the kettle black. I won't even throw my hat for a trick lol. I'm emotional sure, but I'm also right in this instance.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think most will agree the talent is there, and losing to less talented teams all trip is what's frustrating
The Kings have nice talent at wing.. i see holes everywhere else. Team does not have a 1C.. nor do any of the D pairs look top shelf..as compared to a top team like Colorado... Goaltending talent is mid.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The fact that would never cross my mind, but it did yours, leads me to believe the pot might be calling the kettle black. I won't even throw my hat for a trick lol. I'm emotional sure, but I'm also right in this instance.

I don't care how much you paid, how sentimental it is, if you wear a hat to a game, you throw it.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The Kings have nice talent at wing.. i see holes everywhere else. Team does not have a 1C.. nor do any of the D pairs look top shelf..as compared to a top team like Colorado... Goaltending talent is mid.
Too much talent on the wing, not enough grit and stability.

And too much of the same in the farm system. Probably won't be this season unless the rails fall off, but I think Ward may get a good long look next camp.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Oh believe me i'm not saying the team doesn't have holes

Only that we are repeatedly losing to teams with far more holes and far fewer points in the standings.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Oh believe me i'm not saying the team doesn't have holes

Only that we are repeatedly losing to teams with far more holes and far fewer points in the standings.
I agree the talent we do have is not being used that well.. I would prefer a tank this year but thats not going to happen... its going to be black hole season.. at best a wild card or 3rd and a first round exist - with the current roster. Even with a big LD pickup, the lack of 1C and good special teams and goaltending.. this year is not a contend.

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
I agree the talent we do have is not being used that well.. I would prefer a tank this year but thats not going to happen... its going to be black hole season.. at best a wild card or 3rd and a first round exist - with the current roster. Even with a big LD pickup, the lack of 1C and good special teams and goaltending.. this year is not a contend.
I agree. But I think we just miss the playoffs, fire Tmac and re-hire Barry Melrose on the condition he re-grows his mullet.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
This roster is not constructed to deal with heavy, physical opponents. Edmonton is about the softest team in the league and they have no problem roughing up the Kings. Its going to be very, very difficult to win one playoff series, much less multiple series unless Blake brings in several sturdy, sizeable players on the back and on the wing.

Which baffles me since the blueprint to execute a plan successfully to get a team to contend was already written with Dean. Blake was in the passenger's seat during that time, did he not learn this already? You need size, at least on the blueline.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Which baffles me since the blueprint to execute a plan successfully to get a team to contend was already written with Dean. Blake was in the passenger's seat during that time, did he not learn this already? You need size, at least on the blueline.

Haven’t you heard? According to some of the geniuses here on our own board, grinding, physical hockey is *so* last decade, and can’t possibly be played to success anymore.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Haven’t you heard? According to some of the geniuses here on our own board, grinding, physical hockey is *so* last decade, and can’t possibly be played to success anymore.

LOL Such laughable bullshit, from 2015-2021, this entire board, OMG we don't have enough skill, physical grinding hockey doesn't work anymore, we need speed, we need skill........management works on getting speed and skill.....and now.....OMG skill doesn't work, we need physicality grinders.....

Jesus Christ.....you would think that 31 of 32 teams in this league are going 82-0-0 if you read this board.....

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
LOL Such laughable bullshit, from 2015-2021, this entire board, OMG we don't have enough skill, physical grinding hockey doesn't work anymore, we need speed, we need skill........management works on getting speed and skill.....and now.....OMG skill doesn't work, we need physicality grinders.....

Jesus Christ.....you would think that 31 of 32 teams in this league are going 82-0-0 if you read this board.....
1669055771130.png

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
This roster is not constructed to deal with heavy, physical opponents. Edmonton is about the softest team in the league and they have no problem roughing up the Kings. Its going to be very, very difficult to win one playoff series, much less multiple series unless Blake brings in several sturdy, sizeable players on the back and on the wing.
"It's a figure skating league" - Rob Blake, probably.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
100% it is....so let's go through it,

Skill: - Kempe, Kopitar, Fiala, Vilardi, Kaliyev, Arvidsson,
Grinder: Grundstrom, Lizotte, Iafallo, Moore, Danault, Kupari,

Some can be in both, Moore, Danault etc,

So where is the lack of balance in this roster construction?
There is no muscle. No one to kill an opponent and then eat their remains

1669057272913.png

We need an O'Donnell, Mitchell, Regehr, or Chuck Norris

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
We have Edler.....for about 10 more games.....but you need muscle....with some reason to play him, you don't need a Macdermid, you need a Wilson....and those are rare players....
Edler does not fit in to the category of what we need.

I would settle for either at this point. Opponents have been playing us much different without Lemeiux in the lineup

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Edler does not fit in to the category of what we need.

I would settle for either at this point. Opponents have been playing us much different without Lemeiux in the lineup

Not seeing that, nor seeing it reflect in the game LA plays.....when they are focused.......when they aren't focused, it doesn't really matter what the opponent does, LA is gonna shit themselves.....

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
One thing I won't blame Blake for is deviating from Dean's setup. Not because DL "did it wrong", but teams have been successful with different identities and compositions.

Blake had to set up the team to fit his vision. If he wanted more skill, he had to get it.

Of course, every setup has its drawbacks.

But where I will have fault in Blake is trying to focus more on skill but insisting players to play heavy. It's like if DL drafted King, Shore, Nolan, MacDermid/etc and bring in a coach whose system expects they play more risky and flashy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad