2022/23 Roster Thread I: I Don't Know How Much Time I Have Left So I'm Going To Get Real Weird With It

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I"m gonna wait and see what Torts does with this roster.

AV mailed in this season, then Yeo was stuck with AV's scheme, and while he attempted to make changes on the fly, the crush of injuries and demoralization pretty much did him in. Hard to judge this team off last season, note the year before, despite all the crap that went down, they had a 50.57% xGF at 5x5. That is, they weren't a disaster area other than the goalies.

So they're not as good as the 2019-20 106 point pace, and not as bad as the 2021-22 fiasco.
Where they fall in between is the question.

Ellis, Couts, Hayes and Laughton - health will be key.
TK, Farabee, Lindblom, Provorov, Sanheim, Risto, Frost, Tippett - how they respond to Tort's "tough love."
N Cates, Allison, Laczynski, Ratcliffe, Zamula, Attard, Hogberg - how they respond to a fair chance to win a job

Reactions: Devonator

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
MacDonald was better than Ristolainen, that’s how bad Ristolainen is. Neither were/are remotely worth their contracts/caphits as essentially two sub replacement level players.
Macdonald was one of the worst dmen we've had... Risto isn't anywhere close to that no matter how bad the trade and extension were.

Yandle
Macdonald
Gustaffson
Schenn

were 4 of the worst dman that dressed on a regular basis ....i'm sure there's others but those 4 were way worse than Risto imo

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If Chuck re-signed Giroux, I’d be calling for his firing. That’s how idiotic it would be.

It makes ZERO sense for them to invest one of their biggest contracts in a 35 y/o Giroux.

Hell, Kadri turns 32 next season — they’d save 3 years by signing him instead, & I’m not crazy at all about *his* age.
Giroux may sign for 1 year. Kadri is going to sign clear past his prime which may already be over. It’s likely that both would have the same production here or close enough. There are several land mines we can only hope to avoid instead of assume because of how bad Fletcher is. Kadri is certainly one of them.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Work with G to get him to open the list to more teams?

If other prospects were offered he chose the one he was fixated with which isn't good.

Tell him you will and then if you can't, you explain it then. It's just business. You need to make a good faith effort is all.
Work with him how? He had his mind made up which was his right 100%.

So you want the GM to lie to a franchise great. Yeah that sounds like a good plan. You are right it is just a business so that is why he didn't commit to re-signing him.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I think it is. If I'm Fletcher I see an opportunity to maximize assets, keep a valuable player, and gain the opportunity to move them for more assets later.

Edit: and as mentioned if the goal is to compete, then not bringing him back is intensely dumb. Giroux tried to force Fletcher into being competent and Fletcher refused.
What if Giroux wanted a 4 year deal at say 7-8 million per with a NMC? Then what?

How are you gaining the opportunity to move them for more assets later? The whole purpose of him coming back is to retire here is how I see it.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Work with him how? He had his mind made up which was his right 100%.

So you want the GM to lie to a franchise great. Yeah that sounds like a good plan. You are right it is just a business so that is why he didn't commit to re-signing him.
You missed the part about making a good faith effort to bring him back. But there are times when you plan on something and then it can't happen.

Reactions: Rebels57

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
If their intention was to tank the next couple years and rebuild, then bringing him back doesn't make sense.

But, if there intention is to try about build a competitive hockey team, which seemingly is the case, then not bringing him is close to malpractice.
Malpractice, hysterical. The Giroux era has passed it's expiration date. Time to turn the page.

Makes perfect sense not to bring him back.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
MacDonald was better than Ristolainen, that’s how bad Ristolainen is. Neither were/are remotely worth their contracts/caphits as essentially two sub replacement level players.
Still odd Andy never got another NHL job as 6/7th guy. Many worse. Wonder if it was his choice.

budscweizer16

Jun 14, 2004
Prospect Park(outsid
Ristolainen was not a physical standout at all.

MacDonald and Ristolainen are about as bad a use of 5 mil as you can conjure without giving that amount to Yandle and Thompson.
hmmmm thats odd I see him on a list im looking at rn at around 5th or 6th in the league in hits per game. Risto is not worse than Amac. come on. thats just crazy. hes not Keith Yandle out there, hes not a detriment every night. well see how he does this season.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
You missed the part about making a good faith effort to bring him back. But there are times when you plan on something and then it can't happen.
Good faith effort is open to many interpretations. Didn't forget it at all. Good faith effort is playing games. It was cut and dry. You either give Giroux the commitment or you don't.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I"m gonna wait and see what Torts does with this roster.

AV mailed in this season, then Yeo was stuck with AV's scheme, and while he attempted to make changes on the fly, the crush of injuries and demoralization pretty much did him in. Hard to judge this team off last season, note the year before, despite all the crap that went down, they had a 50.57% xGF at 5x5. That is, they weren't a disaster area other than the goalies.

So they're not as good as the 2019-20 106 point pace, and not as bad as the 2021-22 fiasco.
Where they fall in between is the question.

Ellis, Couts, Hayes and Laughton - health will be key.
TK, Farabee, Lindblom, Provorov, Sanheim, Risto, Frost, Tippett - how they respond to Tort's "tough love."
N Cates, Allison, Laczynski, Ratcliffe, Zamula, Attard, Hogberg - how they respond to a fair chance to win a job

This team jus isn't very good. Healthy or not.

So are you saying the players in the last row were never given a fair chance to win a job?

Look at the current roster. JVR, Hayes, Couterier, TK, Lindblom, Farabee, Laughton, Cam, Frost, Tippet. Add in at least a couple free agents. Add Brown and eventually re-signing of Zac. Where does that leave the forwards in that 3rd group?

Of Allison, Tanner, Ratcliffe they will likely lose one or more waivers imo.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Good faith effort is open to many interpretations. Didn't forget it at all. Good faith effort is playing games. It was cut and dry. You either give Giroux the commitment or you don't.
Commitment is tampering plain and simple. It would be voided by the league.

hmmmm thats odd I see him on a list im looking at rn at around 5th or 6th in the league in hits per game. Risto is not worse than Amac. come on. thats just crazy. hes not Keith Yandle out there, hes not a detriment every night. well see how he does this season.
Hits... the most subjective stat ever used. No true definition and counted differently by every team.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Stop it. “5 physical plays” 🤣🤣🤣🤣 u guys do remember we had Andy Macdonald not that that long ago. He was making 5 mil if I’m not mistaken. No I’m not comparing anything except the 5 mil. All I’m saying is U can do worse with 5 mil.
Previous f***ups are not an excuse for new f***ups. They're just two f***ups. How much different would things be for the Flyers if, instead, we tried not f***ing up?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

He is a detriment every night.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Giroux should have been able to retire as a flyer. Probably the second most talented player to ever play for the Flyers. I am convienced that Clarke wanted him not brought back so he wouldnt break his records.

its a real shame the team was so bad last year.

Reactions: Audible Velvet

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Saw a proposal of Provy for Boeser, but I don't think adding a 3rd top 6 RW is the best idea. Especially since Boeser will be looking for a big contract.

Last 5 seasons:

Boeser: 315 GP, 117 G, 134 A, 251 P

Konecny: 358 GP, 99 G 144 A, 243 P

Atkinson: 318 GP, 115 G, 110 A, 225 P

I'd be more interested in Horvat personally.

I think unless we really need the cap space it would be smart to wait until the deadline and trade him with 50% retention to a contender that needs scoring depth.

Fletcher will get an underwhelming return so don't get your hopes up.

By Giroux forcing Florida. Wonder why he choose Florida when other options seemed more enticing imo. Less pressure? Less media coverage?

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad