Prospect Info: 2022-23 Prospect Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So I saw a tweet that says Morrow won’t be available for the wjc’s and they’re inviting other players due to he and Chaz Luscious both not being available.

What gives? Even if we signed him right now we wouldn’t be saying he wouldn’t be able to play in it.

Lol I forgot they’re doing it next month. Maybe the Canes will be keeping him around?
Idk. Some speculation on the same tweet about other top players not being available due to other commitments and injury rehab before their season starts. We’ll have to see

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
they shouldn't even be having the tournament. they should have cancelled it when they cancelled it. this generation of players hasn't had a normal offseason and regular season restart in what.... 3 years? 4 years? that's like from the time they were in midget going day to day in the offseason not knowing when or if their season would start or end. let them get a totally normal schedule offseason and regular season so they learn how to prepare. plus, let the kids like morrow who are going to be late cuts get an NHL camp under their belts. it wouldn't surprise me to see most teams have some opt outs.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Nothing new there IMO... it's a junior showcase tournament, for juniors who still need to show something. Not for those who are already penciled into NHL roster.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Another "curious case" is Tieksola. Had a rough last season, and it doesn't seem like he's going back to Kärpät? Kärpät has signed a lot of players and they're looking stacked at wing position, so there isn't even room there for Tieksola. And I'm not sure Tieksola is ready to play in AHL yet, because he is still so skinny and might struggle in more physical NA play.

Reactions: DaveG

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Other than alphabetical order, how would you rank our prospects?

Another "curious case" is Tieksola. Had a rough last season, and it doesn't seem like he's going back to Kärpät? Kärpät has signed a lot of players and they're looking stacked at wing position, so there isn't even room there for Tieksola. And I'm not sure Tieksola is ready to play in AHL yet, because he is still so skinny and might struggle in more physical NA play.
Get him on the American diet, he will have diabetes and overweight by next season.

Reactions: DaveG

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Other than alphabetical order, how would you rank our prospects?

Get him on the American diet, he will have diabetes and overweight by next season.
Tieksola after American diet

PhotoFunia-1658416946.jpg

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I would rank our prospects like this (based on closest to NHL ready and ceiling/floor):

1. Drury (tie)
1. Kotchetkov (tie)
3. Morrow
4. Seeley
5. Koivunen
6. Honka
7. Rizzo
8. Gunler
9. Ponomarev
10 Trikozov
11. Nikishin
12. Wall
13. Blake
14. Robidas
15. Forsmark
16. Suzuki
17. Fensore
18. Puistola
19. Tieksola
20. Pashin (tie)
20. Montgomery (tie)
22. Rees
23. Perevalov
24. Mercuri
25. Hemosalmi
26. Vondras
27. Hamrla
28. Nybeck
29. Murray
30. Guslistov

.....the rest in any order.....

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I would rank our prospects like this (based on closest to NHL ready and ceiling/floor):

1. Drury (tie)
1. Kotchetkov (tie)
3. Morrow
4. Seeley
5. Koivunen
6. Honka
7. Rizzo
8. Gunler
9. Ponomarev
10 Trikozov
11. Nikishin
12. Wall
13. Blake
14. Robidas
15. Forsmark
16. Suzuki
17. Fensore
18. Puistola
19. Tieksola
20. Pashin (tie)
20. Montgomery (tie)
22. Rees
23. Perevalov
24. Mercuri
25. Hemosalmi
26. Vondras
27. Hamrla
28. Nybeck
29. Murray
30. Guslistov

.....the rest in any order.....
I think I would put Morrow at +1

Reactions: Tryamw

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think I would put Morrow at +1

I think he placed prospects in terms of NHL readiness. Morrow has a huge ceiling but would certainly not be ready for at least the next two-three seasons, when you consider the term remaining on Burns' contract. Drury and Kochetkov are certainly more NHL-ready than Morrow is.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I think he placed prospects in terms of NHL readiness. Morrow has a huge ceiling but would certainly not be ready for at least the next two-three seasons, when you consider the term remaining on Burns' contract. Drury and Kochetkov are certainly more NHL-ready than Morrow is.
Burns called Morrow for advice

Was Seeley in camp?

If so how did he look?
Invisible

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Thanks for the list Opie. Always interesting to see these.

Interesting fall by Heimosalmi. Drafted ahead of Koivunen and slotted 20 spots below.
Seeley very high.
And no Gruninin. I think he's really good but getting him here may indeed be an issue.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Thanks for the list Opie. Always interesting to see these.

Interesting fall by Heimosalmi. Drafted ahead of Koivunen and slotted 20 spots below.
Seeley very high.
And no Gruninin. I think he's really good but getting him here may indeed be an issue.
Admittedly, my list is just that....my list. I sort of qualitatively factor in what I think are a guy's chances of getting to the NHL and, if so, how he might do once he gets there. When guys are D+1 or D+2 and experience a significant fall off or stall at a lower level, that's a bit of a red flag for me. I liked the Heimosalmi pick at the time, but was disappointed in last season. Granted he did move up from Assat U20 to full Liiga play, so there is that. I do wonder if there wasn't some nagging injury or something. But if it was not being able to adjust to the competition, that's an issue for me. This season, IMO, is very key for him.

I'm very high on Koivunen too, especially with his showing for Karpat last season. I'd expect him to be in Chicago next year for sure. That kid is pure skill. He does need to put on some muscle/weight. But if he can keep up his progression from season to season, he's going to be another 2nd round gem.

Edit: And yes, I'm super high on Ronan Seeley. Personally, I think he'll prove to be the best blue-liner we have in Chicago this year. Plays with a bit of an edge, has great offensive instincts, and is a very solid defender as well. Plus he's a very good skater.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don’t think we have any idea what we have with Koochie, he’s maybe the next starter he’s maybe the next Justin Peters. I know he’s close but I’d drop him a little bit.

Ha, I'm with you on this. Everyone's psyched about him. Seems like he has a great personality that would mesh with the team well. But how many guys dominate the AHL and are backups at best in the NHL?

Even more so, what even is goaltending at the NHL level at this point? We think of needing your franchise guy, but outside of a few guys (Shesterkin, Vasy, Sorokin, Saros, maybe Demko and Oettinger moving forward), does any team in the league really feel like they have that guy these days? I'm still very much on board with our strategy of just cobbling together competent goaltenders (Mrazek, McElhinney, Reimer, Ned, Andersen, Raanta) and making year-by-year assessment until someday we accidentally stumble upon a franchise guy. And I probably won't believe a guy is our franchise guy until he does it for awhile (see: Ned). So while I'm happy the guy is in our org I'm putting zero, maybe one egg max in that basket.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Seeley is interesting. He looked really good next to Owen Power at Worlds - not just a passenger. And I know he scored high on the Slavin-Pesce Factor, which is something very interesting (I would love to see the SPF revisted - how have the players that the model loved actually turned out over the last few years?)

However, I do think the "next Slavin" comparisons would only happen here because we really want to wish the rhyme of history into existence. A late round pick and a similar-style player, but there's no magic pixie dust that Jaccob Slavin, a 2012 draft pick playing in NCAA, can sprinkle on Ronan Seeley, a 2020 draft pick playing in juniors, that ensure Seeley will end up the same way just because their draft circumstances were similar. So I do temper my expectations with him because while he's looked great, I do wonder how much of our optimistic projections are just wishful thinking because we've seen this story before.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Ha, I'm with you on this. Everyone's psyched about him. Seems like he has a great personality that would mesh with the team well. But how many guys dominate the AHL and are backups at best in the NHL?

Even more so, what even is goaltending at the NHL level at this point? We think of needing your franchise guy, but outside of a few guys (Shesterkin, Vasy, Sorokin, Saros, maybe Demko and Oettinger moving forward), does any team in the league really feel like they have that guy these days? I'm still very much on board with our strategy of just cobbling together competent goaltenders (Mrazek, McElhinney, Reimer, Ned, Andersen, Raanta) and making year-by-year assessment until someday we accidentally stumble upon a franchise guy. And I probably won't believe a guy is our franchise guy until he does it for awhile (see: Ned). So while I'm happy the guy is in our org I'm putting zero, maybe one egg max in that basket.
It’s a really good point to question how many guys are true number one franchise guys. It feels like there’s a pretty big shortage, like a generation got skipped or something. Everyone is more open to 1a/1b out of necessity it seems.

In the end it’s more cap friendly to roll that way, the franchise guy tag is how you end up with a max term 10 mill a year contract to deal with. We haven’t seen much success with those guys which im sure is not lost on Tulsky.

Seeley is interesting. He looked really good next to Owen Power at Worlds - not just a passenger. And I know he scored high on the Slavin-Pesce Factor, which is something very interesting (I would love to see the SPF revisted - how have the players that the model loved actually turned out over the last few years?)

However, I do think the "next Slavin" comparisons would only happen here because we really want to wish the rhyme of history into existence. A late round pick and a similar-style player, but there's no magic pixie dust that Jaccob Slavin, a 2012 draft pick playing in NCAA, can sprinkle on Ronan Seeley, a 2020 draft pick playing in juniors, that ensure Seeley will end up the same way just because their draft circumstances were similar. So I do temper my expectations with him because while he's looked great, I do wonder how much of our optimistic projections are just wishful thinking because we've seen this story before.
I think we’re lucky to have him be a third pair guy, and shouldn’t expect more until he shows more in the NHL. I think he’s gonna get a shot and for where he’s drafted that in itself is a huge success. That’s the kind of depth you need to have to be a successful team consistently over the years.

Deon Thompson

Feb 27, 2022
It’s a really good point to question how many guys are true number one franchise guys. It feels like there’s a pretty big shortage, like a generation got skipped or something. Everyone is more open to 1a/1b out of necessity it seems.
Folks deep in the goaltending philosophy weeds tend to attribute this to the increasing homogenization of goalie training over the past 20 years. Everyone teaches the same style, which probably maximizes the broad spectrum's chances for success but limits the outliers, both on the flawed and the superstar side. I don't think we're gonna see stylistic diversity again until they significantly tighten regulations on goalie equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00